Full Series Discussion

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 38 posts ] Average score:  
 A Topic That Could Possibly Become An Out Of Control Debate
regular_contributor

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
Like I said, this could be come an out-of-control debate, but as I reread the series the other day, I started to wonder: is Harry more like James or Lily?

My personal feeling is that he is more like Lily--open-minded and caring, however, he does have some of James' loyalty and arrogance.

What do you think?

Re: A Topic That Could Possibly Become An Out Of Control Debate
regular_contributor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 am
I think Harry is a fairly good mesh of the two of them. Of course, it seems that when they got older, they were a lot alike--James became more open-minded and kind, etc. It seems the main difference between Lily and James as adults, was that James was more restless--he hated being in hiding, while Lily seemed a lot more in control. Based on that, Harry is more like James.

Great question! I've always said Harry looked like James, acted like Sirius, thought like Lily, and pushed people away like Remus, but that's just me. ^.^

frequent_vsitor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 am
that's true

contributor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 pm
I definitely think he's most like his mother.  There are so many reasons why, and I don't feel like typing them all.  But he really is just like Lily.

regular_visitor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 pm
THATS REALLY DIFFICULT TO ANSWER!!!! but ill try my best. i think ur right tho, hes caring like lily, obviously he got green eyes from her (duh), but idk. he might be a little bit more like james. the hair, quidditch, getting into trouble...lol...and loyalty. im not so sure id call harry arrogant tho. he can definitely get a temper and can fight back. i think that would be from lily, tho. she always had the comebacks for james, idk, probally a even mix. u know, lily is supposed to be really smart, and james was too, but harry is just ok. i wonder if part of harry's character, like what he decides, not nesecarily his personality, is affected by the horcrux that he became. like obviously the parslemouth, but maybe some of the agression? idk. good question.

regular_visitor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:23 pm
In my mind, Harry is more of a mix between Lily and James. He's alot like his father, risk taking and brave, but he's also alot like Lily, caring and loyal.

~SeventhHorcrux

regular_visitor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:32 pm
I think he's more like James.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 pm
My opinion is that Harry acts more like Lilly than James . Lilly is sweet, loyal , caring and puts others first. But one thing people are missing is that james isnt always like he was in th 5 book. i wish J.K would give us more details about James!!!!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:07 pm
Harry is caring like his mother, but gets into trouble like his father.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:42 pm
i think he is like both just like how he looks a lot like james but has lily's eyes. like hermione says he has a saving people thing kinda like lily is caring. but like james he puts a lot of trust into his friends and seems to break a lot of the rules like james.

frequent_vsitor

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 pm
To be honest? I don't think that we know enough about Lily to really say.
Sure, we tend to assume that she's very rule-abiding, and slightly prissy, but is that just because we think of her as the MWPP Hermione? I don't think that we ever really saw evidence that she doesn't have a wild side. As a matter of fact, in DH she seems to enjoy tormenting her sister and playing around with her magic.
Anyway, probably James.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 pm
I think he has a bit of both inside of him... He is more open-minded and caring,  but he inherited his bad eyesight from his dad. Think about it... I have read a book recently called, The Great Snape Debate, and it suggested that his glasses are figuratively used. His glasses show that his eyesight is impaired, and not just literally. He can never truly see what is in front of him, and therefore he wears glasses. He has always suspected Snape of traitorism, but he can never remember all of those times when Snape saved his life. Think on that if you will. It is also said by Lupin in, Half-Blood Prince, that Harry has inherited an old prejudice from his father, and that is why he hates Snape. And he has inherited all of his looks from his father, except for the color and shape of his eyes. And when Snape isn't breathing down Harry's neck, he is pretty decent at Potions. Not as brilliant as his mother, but alright. And he is alright at Charms and Transfiguration, just as Lily has a wand good enough for Charms. James was also very bright, bright enough to become an Animagi at a very young age. He just never applied himself, just as Harry is prone to do sometimes. I think he has an equal amount of his mother and father in him, we just need to delve deep enough to see it all. Granted, it hasn't been easy, because Lily is so obscure, but it is all there.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15 am
well it is kinda like how harry looks alot like james but has lily's eyes. he acts like booth of them. as lily he is carying and as james he cant be kept in a house to long and doesn't care for the rules. 

regular_visitor

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 pm
Kind of like both.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:17 am
Harry is his own person, he's not too much like one or the other.

contributor

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:02 pm
Good thinking-- if you think about it, he's totally like Lily.  But somehow, it feels like Harry wants to be like James the way he goes on about him being an excellent Quidditch player and so on.  I mean, it's true, but I can't remember it mentioning Harry wanting in any way to be like Lily.  Ha ha-- Forge and Gred are the Harry-era version of James.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:25 pm
I think he is more James, because the books only say he resembles Lily by his eyes, and only a little personality, but the books say he has Jame's looks and a very close personality

regular_contributor

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:54 pm
I think that he has characteristics of both Lily and James, but that he is more like Lily. Harry is nice, caring, loving, and just, which are all Lily's traits. He does have James' loyalty though, as well. I think that, as Dumbledore once told Snape, that Harry's physical appearance is more like James, but his nature and personality is more like Lily's.

contributor

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 am
Well, there has been something that has been bugging me.  Apparently, both of Harry's parents were completely brillant, but he wasn't quite as smart as either of them.  I mean, I'm not saying Harry's stupid.  After all, he got an Outstanding on his DADA O.W.L.  But he just doesn't seem as smart as you would expect the son of two incredibly smart people to be.

Personally, I think Harry has got great traits from both James and Lily.  But I feel like Harry has a little bit more of James in him.  They both go looking for adventure in their lives, and James also thought about other people whenever he did something.  Harry also does this a lot.  He cares about other people and puts them first.  Although I suppose that Lily did this, too, because she died to save Harry.  I guess Harry does have a little bit of each of them in him.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

--Dumbledore

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:36 pm

_Apollo127_ wrote:
Like I said, this could be come an out-of-control debate, but as I reread the series the other day, I started to wonder: is Harry more like James or Lily?

My personal feeling is that he is more like Lily--open-minded and caring, however, he does have some of James' loyalty and arrogance.

What do you think?

I completely agree with you!!! Harry would do any thing for his friends and loved-ones. just like Lily!
But in the same way he is very loyal and arrogant just like they describe James!!!
~Thanks!

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
-dumbledore

regular_contributor

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 am
I think he is like both, (he looks just like James)

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:24 pm
i think he more like james because  he is always going on adventures like james lilly was simalar to ginney

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:43 pm

_Apollo127_ wrote:

What do you think?

Hmmm, I'm only on the 5th book but from what I've gathered, he looks extrodinarily like his father and shares many of his traits. I haven't really read much of Lily, but I think he is more like James, honestly. And, please correct me if I'm wrong, James' animangus is a stag. And Harry's Patronus is a stag, so wouldn't that make him like his father more? Idk, but I think Harry is more like James. Loyal, brave, and slightly arrogant. But, I do agree with you, he does share the qualties of being open-minded and caring like Lily.
                     :smileytongue: Clogstar123

visitor

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am
that's tough...
normally i think he is more like james, but when things become really tense, he's more like lily. obviously he looks more like james except for the green eyes.

regular_contributor

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:49 pm

_Emma.SJ_ wrote:
I think Harry is a fairly good mesh of the two of them. Of course, it seems that when they got older, they were a lot alike--James became more open-minded and kind, etc. It seems the main difference between Lily and James as adults, was that James was more restless--he hated being in hiding, while Lily seemed a lot more in control. Based on that, Harry is more like James.

Great question! I've always said Harry looked like James, acted like Sirius, thought like Lily, and pushed people away like Remus, but that's just me. ^.^
That last sentence is a perfect summary of Harry's character!

frequent_vsitor

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:42 pm
I think he is more like lily in some ways, such as being caring, but like James by being fearless and on the very rare occasion, devious.

contributor

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 am
I think he is slightly more like James, but he had Lily's eyes.

Grandesong

Look at me.
-Severus Snape

frequent_contributor

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:54 pm
I think Harry was a bit like both of them--but more like Lily. Dumbledore (in DH, The Prince's Tale) tells Snape that on the outside Harry appears to be more like his father, but in actuality his deepest nature is like his mother's.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:25 pm
That is a totally valid point which really doesn't have 1 answer. I think that Harry inherited his bravery from both James and Lilly because obviously thaey r both reallllllly brave. It would take a totally brave person to stand up to voldemort like they did. I think Harry is a melting pot about everything though. He got compassion and kindness from Lilly but got his loyalty and daring from James. They also both gave him a strong sense of friendship. As I said before this really doesn't have a definite answer.

regular_visitor

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:04 pm
since we haven't spent much time with james and lily,i don't have a clear idea.but honestly,since when have you inherited character?  how can harry get traits from someone he barely remembers?with his looks he's a little bit of both,but mostly james.

"to the well organized mind,death is the next great adventure"~dumbledore

WARRIORS FOREVER

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 pm
Personally, I believe Harry possesses traits and characteristics from both James and Lily.  He definitely looks a lot like James, but as they say, "has Lilly's eyes".  He's an extraordinary Quidditch player, and Seeker, like James.  However James was a little arrogant and bullied Snape around.  And Harry didn't like that.  He even had to consult Lupin about it.  I think Harry was more pure-hearted like Lily.  Although he did have conflicts with Malfoy, he didn't go out of his way to bully Malfoy.  He just mostly wanted to know what he was up to. 

Here's

regular_visitor

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 pm
I think he is like both , Lily and James because he looks a lot like James but he's really caring like Lily. So, physically he is like James but personalitywise, he's like Lily.

visitor

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:06 pm
Ur right. This is a tuffy. He is strong and brave arrogant, open minded, caring... but both his parents were like that in different ways.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 am
i totally think he is more like james. but when you think about it, harry didn't want to be like james after he found out just how arrogant his father actually was.

Re: A Topic That Could Possibly Become An Out Of Control Deb
new

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:32 am

Lily. Definitely. Keep in mind, he may look like James, but I don't think Harry is arrogant at all. I think his thoughts and beliefs are way more like Lily's though. Because it's our choices that show who we are, far more than our abilities.cool

[ 38 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team