Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 A Word On Plagiarism: Chapter I Part I
contributor

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:05 am

MAN! I haven't uploaded here in a while...well...here goes nothing...

Ch 1

A Word on Plagiarism

"And now, a word on plagiarism."

My English teacher --whose name escapes me-- stomped about the room, glaring into the souls of those who might dare to rob the glorious pages of a well-written tomb. The florescent lights made her features look harsh and her wrinkles look deep. Her tight bun had lost control of several grey-brown fly-always, adding to her distressed appearance. The way TeacherLady talked, the act of plagiarism was a more egregious crime than murder. After only a few minutes, her voice was horse from her futile tirade.

This would, most definitely, not be just a word on plagiarism. This wouldn't even be a few minutes on plagiarism. I was certain that this exasperated woman would spend an entire, forlorn class period no the topic of plagiarism, and there was nothing I could do but listen.

I looked around the classroom to gauge public response to the soliloquy. A quick glance around me revealed several things about my new classmates. 1) They were not much different from the kids back in Chicago. 2) They weren't getting anything out of this. Granted, there were several students paying attention; nodding at all the right places with a look of reverence plastered on their faces. But , these were the kids who would never dare to plagiarize in the first place, so who cares if they listened?

A couple of girls behind me were having a dynamic conversation at a normal volume. I counted seven people texting and two playing Angry Birds. The red-haired boy to my right was drawing an elaborate maze on the back of TeacherLady's handout. These were the people this lecture was actually for. Yet, here they were, listening to her words and still not hearing a thing.

Over all, I estimated there was perhaps one person in the entire class who would benefit from this little lecture. It certainly wasn't me. I knew, even then, that there are far worse things you can do with a book than steal its content.

After a few minutes though, ruminating on the futility of this cautionary endeavor made me pretty depressed. I decided to tune-out all together and turn my full attention to my new classmates.

I looked over at the red-headed kid, drawing his maze. I sat near this kid in my previous class as well, and he had been absorbed in the same task. He crouched low over the table, so his nose almost touched the paper. This cased his thick framed glassesforced him to push his thick-framed glasses up every couple seconds. He scratched and shaded with great concentration, the tip of his tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth. He looked up every so often to nod, but you could tell that he was disconnected from the discussion. I decided that he was my favorite.

Not Mazey notwithstanding, however, the class was made up of a vinilla cast of nobody interesting. All other options exhaused and on deaths door from boardom, I broke the promis I'd made myself that morning. I decided tocheck on The Book.

Until this morning, I hadn't been sure if I was going to bring it with me. It was a dangerous thing to tote around, seeing as it could combust or vanish at the drop of a hat. But I knew that I was in for a brutal day, so I slipped it in with my shiny covered text books and unsharpened pencils against my better judgment.

I dug around in my bag, my fingers hovered over where The Book should be. For one white-hot second, I couldn't find it.

"It's gone," I thought. "It's finally left for good this time."

But then my thumb brushed against it and I could breathe again. I grabbed hold of its spine but there was something wrong. It was smooth, cold and...wet?

I pulled The Book onto my desk, while trying to maintain a vacant stare in my teacher's direction. I looked down and saw salty-smelling water was spraying from between the yellowed paged. Within a moment, the briny water had covered the desk and began pouring onto the tiled floor like a miniature Niagara Falls.

(...)

Thanks for reading!

Part 2 will arrive shortly!

Re: A Word On Plagiarism: Chapter I Part I
frequent_contributor

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 am

Hahaha, this is awesome, Jess! Just be sure not to overuse your adjectives, yeah? Otherwise, I'm greatly enjoying. 

Kira

Unofficial Adult Advisor for Write It!

new

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 am

This is a awesome chapter

new

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

That's great! I can't wait to read the rest.smiley

new

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:15 am

This is really, really good! I'm intrigued-will the red-haired kid play an important part later? I think I like him a lotsmiley

heartFearlessViolet

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team