Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 An Anecdote
regular_contributor

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:12 pm

I am writing this while listening to “A Day in the Life” by the Beatles, which is a hard song to write to, as it is hard not to mouth and consider how interesting it is to lip-synch to the Beatles. It is also hard not to type the lyrics.

On the topic I meant to write upon, my favorite question ever asked by the school is: “Why does Gandalf want to make butter out of Barliman Butterbur?”

It’s a funny question. And I am not ashamed to admit I hadn’t noticed that detail, and would have enjoyed the book much more had I known it, as I find that particular phrase—‘make butter out of Barliman Butterbur’—hilarious.

But then, I also find the long ‘original’ version of “The Cat and the Fiddle” hilarious.

Which brings me to a point. I do not like Tolkien. In most cases, when he wanted to make a point, he made it in an extraordinarily lengthy, infodump way. On occasion, he did do something in an enjoyable way, and I am sure most of the time he edited those out. I am not interested in lines of descendence and power struggles. I am not interested in the history of something only briefly related to the story. I want to know more about the characters. Not places, but people.

Do you see how far this has gone from an anecdote? It has gone even farther from the beginning—from the Beatles to Tolkien.

Which brings me to yet another point—I am extraordinarily fond of digressions so long as I know who is digressing. Yes, I am quite aware it is Tolkien digressing, but storywise, nobody is digressing. The point is...

Well, the Beatles do have something to do with it, I finally realize.

The Beatles were inventing their genre.

So was Tolkien.

The difference is, the Beatles have succeeded in making something I would listen to for it’s own virtues. The Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, I read because it is ‘iconic’, a ‘classic’.

Actually, I read it because The Fellowship of the Ring wasn’t too horrible, and I liked Sam. I liked Merry and Pippin too, and I liked Strider—not Aragorn, just Strider.

I also liked Barliman Butterbur, which takes me back to where I was—making butter out of Barliman Butterbur.

Now, let me point out the humor in that—it is merely a pun on Butterbur. It sounds good—alliteration. Humorous alliteration.

Now, making mincemeat of Mae B is not as funny to me, mostly because I am Mae B, and I do not want to be mincemeat, so there must be more to it than alliteration.

Butter is a funny word.

As well as the fact that there is ‘butter’ in ‘Barliman Butterbur’ and there is not ‘mincemeat’ in ‘Mae B’.

I suppose that now you know a great deal more about me than you did before, even if you know no more about Barliman Butterbur, humor, Tolkien, or the Beatles.

If you disliked this, blame it on the Beatles not writing good writing music.

Mae B.

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 03-03-2011 06:09 PM

Re: An Anecdote

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm
Marytonga,

I edited the last name in this post because I wasn't sure if it was your real name. The memoir section kind of implies that it's non-fiction, so it could be-- or you could have changed the name.

In any case, just know that no last names are allowed on Write It.

Best,
Bronwen

regular_contributor

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:53 pm
It's a pen name.

I wrote this with my advice on writing, so I posted it where I meant to post that- sorry. I'll make SURE I'm posting the right thing on the right place next time.

frequent_contributor

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 pm
Either it's all HTMLy and stuff, or you've got major potty mouth.

frequent_contributor

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 am
I hope you were meaning to be humurous in this because I definitely laughed. :D Fun piece!

~Cavy

Why would you wanna break,
A perfectly good heart?

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team