Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 4 posts ] Average score:  
 An Unknown World: Prolouge (NEW AWESOME SCI-FI NOVEL!)
contributor

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Prologue

If I could only choose one word to describe my life, it would most certainly not be normal.

For example, my mother owns the award-winning floral shop downtown and is always bringing home delightful arrangements of tulips and daisies and flowers that I can’t even describe.  Ironically, her name is Rose. She has bright pink cheeks and fluffy blonde hair that light up the whole room everywhere she goes. She seems like she brings the only life to this now dead world.

The government has tried everything from building local parks to planting trees to even making a law for everyone to plant at least one plant.  However, their efforts are useless. Plants always seem to get cut down, mutated in some creative way, or get complained about. So people come from all over the world to Mom’s lovely floral shop, wanting to change the world, even though we all know it’s highly unlikely.

While my Mom’s trying to change the world, my Dad is trying to find a new one.  He is a world famous astronaut for PNASA, which used to be just NASA until the popular soda, Pixie Drink decided to sponsor it. He’s explored the whole solar system of Plolar, looking for life, but apparently everything there is dormant. He wasn’t completely upset though since he got to see Plolar’s sun die in person.

Since we put a man on the moon around 600 years ago, PNASA is looking for bigger and better things. They’re not hiring space robots to do the job anymore, they’re sending human beings trillions of light-years off into space to explore and see if there’s any life other than our own Earth. Why are they doing this? Because now it seems like there’s little hope for planet Earth.

So now, if you think my life’s normal, you’ve thought wrong.

Do you guys like it? Give your feedback below please!

Re: An Unknown World: Prolouge (NEW AWESOME SCI-FI NOVEL!)
N/A

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm
 Oooh! It sounds cool!
  Post more! I'll definitely read it!!! :smileyhappy:
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                 Winner of NaNo 2010!!
I miss my halloween candy!!!!   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
               -Teresa

frequent_vsitor

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm
I loved the transition from the mother to the father. :robotwink:

_H.p bookworm_ wrote:

While my Mom’s trying to change the world, my Dad is trying to find a new one. 

I liked the fact that you elaborated on both the characters of the mother and the father. I would also like to know more about the main character. :robothappy:

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 12-24-2010 11:37 AM

contributor

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 pm
Post more! I'm hooked. This is a good prologue. Your set-up for exposition is very good. I love how it flows. I'm also pleased to find that you didn't make the amateur mistake of going "Hi! My name is (ENTER NAMES HERE) and I'm a (age) boy/girl", which drives me crazy (and is sadly done so many times in prologues). It is sort, but it is just a bite-sized pack of awesomeness. :)

Best,
Charmfairy
VAMPIRE SQUIRRELS! Definitely DO NOT think your life is normal.

[ 4 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team