General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 60 posts ] Average score:  
 ANY NEW BOOKS FOR A 12 YEAR OLD TO READ???!!!!!! PLZZZ REPLY
new

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 am

Ok, i'm 12 years old. I'm finished with the Harry Potter series. I LOVE the babysitter's club. So? Have any suggestions? Just tell me the series/title and a lil bit of what it's about!

I do NOT like-

1- back in the day books.

Re: ANY NEW BOOKS FOR A 12 YEAR OLD TO READ???!!!!!! PLZZZ R

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Ok, so I don't know exactly what u like but here are a few suggestions:

Anything by Rick Riordan

The Secret Series

Nick of Time series

The Roman Mysteries

Dork Diaries

Diary of a Wimpy kid

Hope u find this useful.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm

You should read  Sharon Creech books they are really great!

new

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 pm

The book I recommend you reading is chicken soup for the girls soul.Dont know if you read it but its a REALLY GOOD BOOK.Im reading it and im 10.Its talks about what will happens to girls when they grow-up ( a.k.a. your PIRIOD) but dont get grossed out it also talks about relationships with boys,middle school,friendship etc.This book has many stories in one and has short little comix.This book can also make you ROFL ! ( roll on floor laghing.) I read one of  the stories it went like this : there was  girl with her piriod.she could'nt go to school. her mother had to go to work so the girl had to take her 6 year old brother to school. her brother saw her throw-up on the bathroom floor her brother asked what happen and she said she had her piriod.but the boy clearly did'nt understand.another day the boy got sick and was throwing up the mom said what happen and he said "mom I have my piriod !" I dont know i f you find that funny but I did ! cheeky

Hope you get to read this book!

( p.s the things that happen in this book might seem SUPRISING ! )

new

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:40 am

I am just a year younger than you and I read a lot. Almost 24/7. I was aggagerating a bit but here are a few and I will tell you just a little bit about then because I sometimes spoil. Will try not to.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

It is a book in words and in pictures. Hugo lives in a train station. Because his dad passed away in a fire. He found the autoamaton that his dad had been working on. And is trying to fix it. But since he leads a life of crime that is pretty hard to do. There is a cranky old man that work is a toy stand near by. Hugo watches him throught the. Clocks of the station

Any thing by Rick Riordan

All of his books are about some sort of mythology. They teach you something and you don't realize it.

39 Clues

awesome series good if you like mystery.

And a wholeml 

new

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Advice extrdinare,angelhydra3

why don't you read the back of the books and rate them on this scale

1:By an author you like but a little to girly 4 u

2:Something like harry potter been there don that

3:ENJOY BUT ITS NO BABYSITTERS CLUB

4:not as good but soooooooooooooooooooo close

5:PERFECTO GOT IT OH YA PERFECT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

contact me if u need me kisskiss BANG

new

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 am

I am 10. I just joined and I read 6 grade level books. I don't like books from back in the day either so you're in luck!

Books:

- Candymakers

- any book by Wendy Mass

- Lost Hero

- Red Pyramid

Hope this helps!

new

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 am

Heyyyyyyyyyy! Scarletnecklace4 here!!

I say, check out
Left Behind: Young Tride Force.
Spiderwick cronicles.

And well. thats about it...

ADD ME AS A FRIEND PLZ!!!

new

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm

i always liked the book chains but i am only 10smiley

DOLPHINAQUA537

ENJOYyes

new

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:02 pm

I WOULD SAY PROBALY VESPER BY JEFF SAMPSON I READ IT AND IT BLOWS MY MIND ITS A THRILLER IF YOUR IN TO THAT KIND OF STUFF

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Artemis Fowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a new artemis fowl book is being released summer 2012;The last gaurdian.

can't wait!

-Jadeprincess3

new

Sat May 05, 2012 3:10 am
i like the books most people on here like here are some more suggestions (think i spelled that wrong). deep and dark and dangerous, all the lovley bad ones, the candy makers, lisening for lions, wendy mass books, hunger games, thirteen treasures, any mary downing hahn books. i think thats about it. (p.s.after you read hunger games if you do the movie is good too!!!!!) :)

new

Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 am
i book i totaly agree on and probably a lot of kids agree on is the Hunger Games. Really good book i heard that the movie is suppose to be really good.Or a good searies of books are the ALEX RIDER searies. i personaly think that Point Blank was the best book i've ever read.

new

Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 am
hey its me again detectingpsyched3 PLEZ ADD ME AS A FRIEND

new

Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 pm
I like a lot of books here are some suggetstions: 1. The Word Eater* 2. The Clockworth Three 3. When you reach me 4. Girls acting Catty 5. The series of unfortuante events *= Easy for a 12 year old

new

Fri May 11, 2012 2:42 am
Seekers and Warriors I think the books are neat (I have not read all the books) Seekers is bears Warriors is cats not that realistic, but it is not fantasy as in dragons. hope it helps! by the way i'm 12 as well. HAPPY READING!

new

Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 pm
Hello, I think yhat you should read The Missing series. Its by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Its amazing, and I should know, because beleive it or not, im a writer

new

Sun May 13, 2012 2:46 am
I have an idea try Warriors and Seekers by Erin Hunter. Sorry if I posted this request twice I have not seen the first one yet. Hope you like the world of the Warriors and the world of the Seekers!

new

Fri May 18, 2012 4:33 pm
Hey I'm 11 and I think you should read The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, Hunger Games (they are so awesome!!!), Anything by Mary Downing Hahn, The Great Wide Sea, The Romeo and Juliet Code, and My life in Pink and Green. I love all these books!!! Hope you try them!!! Peace Out :)

new

Sat May 19, 2012 1:35 pm
I am thirteen years old and I've been looking for age-appropriate books. I've read Harry Potter and The Baby Sitters Club. You could try reading Middle School Survival or Beacon Street Girls. I hope this is useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ----Cooleyes3 or Roxy

visitor

Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 am
I am almost thirteen and read at above-college levels but by the look of it I think you might like The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel it is a series by Micheal Scott It is about a lets say Infamous alchemist who after living in San Fran Meets the so called twins of legend which were written about in the book of Abraham the Mage and thus is forced to leave his home because a notorious magician who performed in Queen Elizabeths court had found him and saw that he had the twins. Sophie and Josh (the twins ) are forced to go with him because they too are in danger because of the evil magician named Dee.might sound a bit far fetched but i think that with a little concentration anyone could read it

new

Tue May 22, 2012 12:24 am
Alright so there are a lot and I mean A LOT of good books out there, but here are a couple that are my personal favs! The Hunger Games series Matched, and Crossed (Matched first) The Secret series and finally The Underneath ; ) Good luck

Re: any kool ideas for kool crafts
new

Wed May 23, 2012 10:08 pm
help me out im so bored know any kool crafts........................... thanks spiderwings4 or Holli out

visitor

Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 pm
The frog princess book by E.D Baker, modern twist on a fairy tale. Or maybe the Sisters Grimm. Or N.E.R.D.S, or Once upon a Marigold. I'll keep you posted

Thu May 24, 2012 2:45 am
hi, i'm 10 years old. i read at a 6 grade level even though i'm in the 4 grade. i don't know about you but i like this old series called the series of unfortunate events. well since you don't like old books, it's probably boring or something to you. well it is about these three kids that once lived a happy life with rich parents. they went to beach everyday. one day their parents died in a fire and that's when the other sad stuff comes. there are 13 books. i always finish them in just 2 days 'cause their really interesting. i sometimes just get lost in the book like i'm there in the story because it's so exciting but also sad. the sadness is what makes it a good series of books.

new

Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm
The Hunger Games would be some GREAT books for you to read. Some parents might not want their kids to read it, but if you parents allowed the Harry Potter seiries, then they would probably allow this.

new

Sun May 27, 2012 3:46 am
I'm 13. I really enjoy the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. I started reading them when I was 11. My mom who is 39 is also a big fan of them. They are a great series but it's confusing because there are four different series that you should read in order. It's Warriors, Warriors: The New Prophecy, Warriors, THe Power of Three, and Warriors: Omen of the Stars.

new

Mon May 28, 2012 4:23 pm
the princess diaries. the princess diaries is about a girl who finds out she is a princess and then goes though all these events because she is a princess while making the most of her love life.

new

Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 am
Try the Beacon Street Girls by Annie Bryant. It is a series. It is sort of like the Baby Sitters Club but all of my friends who have read them either loved it or hated it. But one of pesonal favorites is Matched. I hope I was any help. :-)

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 pm
you should read The Hunger games triology. I'm just starting the second one. You should also read Dork diaries :)

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:13 pm
don't like that type of books, sorry dramabrain28

new

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:36 pm
Hey if you like kind of girly-girl books, any book that Meg Cabot is a good bet- she is hilarious! I also just finished reading this book called "Sweet 16" by Kate Brian which was AMAZING! Trust me on this I'm 12 like you and i leteraly read like 4 to 5 hours a day in the summer and about 2 hours a day during school time- you could call me a major bookworm! Anyway I hope this helps!

new

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 pm
I have a good book for you to read,any of Rick Riordan's books. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the seires of unfortunate events.

new

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:35 am
OMG!!!!! Glad u asked that question!!!!! You should REALLY read the book "Smile". It's my most favorite book.I give it 5 out of 5 stars!!!!b :D :) tëåłbłãčk23 KEEP ON SWAG'IN YO!!!

new

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:22 pm
wow your so cool and im friending you friend me back

new

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 pm
ok cool i like you my name is dancecelebrating32 im a girl

new

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 am
Read the Hunger Games they are awsome!

new

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:53 pm

1. The Hunger Games!!! (I ♥ Peeta Mellark)

2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Go Percabeth!)

3. The Lost Hero

4. The Son of Neptune

5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid

6. Dork Diaries

Hope this helps!!!

~~ Samantha Canterwood~~

"Shut up, and eat your pears"

new

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm
I'm 12 also and I have 2 series that I loved that you may like. The first series is The Mysterious Benedict Society: It's about this guy who has like a secret identity but no one knows and police, FBI and other agents try to solve the mystery behind the guy. The second series is The Name of This Book is Secret: it's about this girl who is trying to solve this mystery about this guy who always act suspicious. My descriptions may be a little off because I haven't read these series in a while. ENJOY!!!!

new

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 pm
hey im only 11 but here is a few good books for young adults: percy jackson rick riordan about greek gods and godesses a series of unfortunate events unknown author 3 orphans battle unlucky situations well these are good and entertaining books so friend me and enjoy!!!!

new

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:26 pm
Hi Im clubaqua51 and Im also 12 here are some suggestions The Hunger Games Twelve Finally Judy Blume series The Spiderwick Chronicles series Narnia The Lion,The Witch and The Wordrobe{chapter book} hope u lik the books I suggested friend me and hope to see u on the boards

new

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm
you should read "the secret language of girls".its a REALLY good book.i've read it already and im 8.it has about 234 pages of a TOTALLY interesting story.probably the best book ive ever read besides 'Harry Potter and the goblet of fire".

new

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:05 pm
The hunger games!

new

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Dude you need 2 read james patterns series called maximum ride.Hope you like it. DP3

visitor

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm
I haven't finished Peter and the Star Catchers yet, but it is AMAZING! It a little "back-in the dayish. But it is Awesome!

new

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 am
Well... If you finished Harry Potter (which, by the way, I have read multiple times), then a good book/series, if you like fantasy would be the Books of Pellinor. Just a suggestion.

new

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm
the HUNGER GAMES SERIES by Suzanne Collins its awsome

visitor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 pm
I'm 12, too. I read: Take A Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg (awesome, finished in two hours) Prom and Prejudice also by Elizabeth Eulberg (a modern take on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice) Dark Life and Rip Tide (series) by Kat Falls Rick Riordan's books The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (is WAY more of a mature read just because there are 24 kids from each district trying to kill each other and be the last on standing.) The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (if you liked Harry Potter, you will also enjoy this.) The Search for Wondla sounded good from the back cover The Clockwork Three by Matthew Kirby A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle The Invention of Hugo Cabret sound like it would be good from the summary on the inside. The Boy on Cinnamon Street, Deep Down Popular and The Romeo and Juliet Code by Phoebe Stone are good The Gideon Trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur Smile by Raina Telgemeier (True Story) Graphic Novel I loved all these books after I finished the Harry Potter books when I was ten. I didn't think I would like anything better. I guess these books are all right up there with Harry Potter but not above. I loved all these just as much. sk8cookie Avid reader and The Person Who Started Harry Potter When She Was Seven Years Old (I don't know how age appropriate these books would be for you due to parent restrictions since I can read some more mature books and I'm not sure how far understanding-wise these books might go for you and how easy to read, however, as a reader of Harry Potter you'll probably be okay, I don't know though since i read at a grade 11 level and I'm only just finished grade 6.)

rookie_visitor

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm
i totally have several suggestions:-) *"Which Witch is Which" is pretty good. Its about this wizard who's looking for a wife so he holds a contest to see which witch is the wickedest witch:-) *" The Island of Aunts" I loved! I only have three words. The Great KRAKEN! * totally the "Kane Chronicles"

new

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 am
HOW BOUT U TRY IN A HEART BEAT. ITS ABOUT A GIRL WHO GETS A HEART TRANS PLANT AND HER RECOVORY. YOU SHOULD TRY IT. OH AND THE HUNGER GAMES MIGHT BE GOOD TO. THEY ARE THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Read Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Artemis Fowl, The Books of Elsewhere, Hoot, Twilight saga, The Golden Compass, 13 Gifts, Summerland. <@br -Maliha who's hearing Fun "Some Nights" br@>

new

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 am
I'm ten and I read books that only 17 years old read (a.k.a. intense romantic scenes,YOUR PERIOD, girl stuff, fey books, L.G.Smith's books) and 18 years old read but my sissy tells me to read these cuz I read this stuff. nywys, hope this will come into handy: Chicken soup, Francine Pascal's: Sweet Valley series Wasilisa Brown's:Thrills and chills Wall series The maxium ride Cecila Ahern's If you could see me now(made me cry and laugh) Cecila Ahern's Where Rainbow's Ends Cecila Ahern's P.S.I LOVE U(creative) and I m only 10 even though only 17-year-olds read these!

new

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 pm
I would suggest any books by Rick Riordan. I would also suggest Dark Life and Riptide. They are about a 16 year old boy named Tyson. Tyson's family lives underwater with several other families. Riptide is Dark Life's sequel.

new

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 am
I know some good books: The Hunger Games Series The Cronicals of Narnia The Percy Jackson Series Eggs Maniac Magee 11 Birthdays The Red Pyramid Any book about greek mythology

regular_contributor

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 am
@greenpanda: actually, Hunger Games is a trilogy, not a series. A series is more than 3 books, if I'm correct. A trilogy's 3 books.

new

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 am
i'm 9 and i've read the hunger games currently reading thea stilton, harry potter, allie finkle RULES FOR GIRLS, how i survived middle school and life on the refrigerator door bluecobra293 P.S. SO ANGRY WITH MY BEST FRIEND!!! WELL EX-EX BEST FRIEND! :x P.P.S. I WANNA SCREAM, YELL, SHRIEK, CRY, SWEAR OR SHOUT ANGRILY AT HER!!!

new

Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 am
Try reading The Clique...... maybe ask your parents first though.... anyways they are really good!

new

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:10 pm

The Water Fire Saga books are ausome(aka Deep Blue)

new

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 am

The percy jackson or kane chronicle by rick riordan, they're kind of similar to the percy jackson book, but they have to do with mythology, 

also the philippa fisher, or emily windsnap books by liz kessler, they also have a lot of magic

I also love the baby-sitter's club books, did you read the graphic novel versions of them, by raina telgemeier? They take the great story and change it in a great new way. 

if you want a book that's more for older kids, but still doesn't have any bad stuff, read teh selection series. 

new

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:51 pm
I happen to enjoy the Warriors book series,
created by Erin Hunter. It is a fantasy book
into the life of cats that live in the forest.
I am on the 3rd series, 6th book.
I hope you decide this series.

[ 60 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team