Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 16 posts ] Average score:  
 Anyone?
frequent_vsitor

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Hello Buzz Board occupants....AND I have become awkward again. Anyway, HI! I feel like I missed so much but I don't know when the last time I posted was...

Let's see, my new obsessions...oh right.

A VERY POTTER SENIOR YEAR! I WILL GO AND SPAM THE HARRY POTTER BOARDS WITH THREADS ALL ABOUT IT. OH MY GRYFFINDOR I CRIED...who else watched it? Starkids on the Stacks, where are you? My favorite parts were the many scattered appearances of the Basilisk (ssssnake....ssssnake....), Hagrid, every appearance by Chris Allen (that guy is hilarious! and if you didn't know who he played in AVPSY he was Moaning Myrtle, Mad-Eye Moody/Barty Crouch, Jr., and Tom Riddle, Sr.), "Always Dance," and probably the entire end. It was so bittersweet, and a great sendoff for the ending of the Potter musicals. And did you see that they thanked Bonnie in the credits? So sweet! I feel like Starkid isn't going to be the same now that the Harry Potter musicals are over. I mean, they're still going to be awesome and I'm definitely going to watch The Last Days of Judas Iscariot and Twisted (hopefully live this year!), but there's a certain thing that's gone. It's how they started, after all. What else would you guys like to see Starkid musicalize?

Finally, WHAT DID I MISS? jadedragon49 is here and oh! I'm 14 now....time really flies. So to conclude, Stackers, you are all supermegafoxyawesomehot, so DFTBA!

.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
love like you'll never be hurt,
sing like there's nobody listening,
and live like it's heaven on earth."
-William W. Purkey
"Without music,
life would be a mistake."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
.Jadedragon49.

Re: Anyone?
regular_contributor

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm
Hi! Welcome back! :D

My room was clean. But then I had to decide what to wear.

Rachel

new

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 pm
Umm... jadedragon what're you supposed to do here?

frequent_vsitor

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 pm
From Katie- I took it out because of where it's from. It's almost like listing the web site. ;)

contributor

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Omg I realize this was a year ago but JADEDRAGON49 I PRAY YOU ARE STILL ON HERE. PLEASE.

Avpsy was my fav one! I loved Nothing Lasts Forever </3 and the flying diary bit and when Darren and Joey both messed up the line in Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts Reprise. 

frequent_vsitor

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 pm

tbt to the last time I tried to come back. "I think I'm going back..."

BUT DORKQUEEN/LESTRIA HELLO MY FELLOW STARKID. I sincerely hope you're still on here! So I feel like we have totally discussed Starkid in other threads since this one but I'm not entirely sure when that might have been because I have not been on the Stacks in more than a year, almost two years? I found this thread by searching my username lol, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to look at old posts. And WAIT OMG MORE THAN A YEAR THIS MEANS WE CAN FANGIRL ABOUT ALL THE RECENT STARKID THINGS YAY. So since AVPSY there has been Twisted, Ani, Trail To Oregon, Yes I Am Afraid Of The Dark, Elsie Fest and A Very Starkid Reunion! I'm just going to bullet my reactions, and anyone else reading this who likes Starkid PLEASE respond, I'd love to talk to the new Starkids of this board:

• Twisted is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Starkid show of all time now. It's perfect, a brilliant combination of Starkid's funniest and most poignant moments. From everything Joe Walker as Achmed says to Dylan Saunders making me cry in "If I Believed" and "The Power In Me," plus the score that I think is the most developed and musically interesting out of everything in the Starkid canon (also all the Disney and Wicked and just general musical theatre references ahhh), I love it so much. Also props to Alex Paul for being the first high/operatic soprano in Starkid, as a Soprano I myself, I was so happy when she started singing the high notes in "Dream A Little Harder"!
  • Ani did not deserve the hate that it got. I felt SOOO bad for Nick when he read the YouTube comments. True, I really wasn't as into Star Wars back when it first came out (I watched the entire series in preparation for The Force Awakens so now I have a better understanding of the series and appreciate the musical a lot more), but I still got most of the jokes, TalkFine's music was awesome as always, and the story was interesting. And Nick Lang as Obi-Wan Kenobi though. AND DENISE DONOVAN BACK IN THE SPOTLIGHT YOU GO GIRL
  • Trail To Oregon. I love the audience interaction and how they added the element of improv into a show that's not all improv (like 1Night2Last3Ever and Airport For Birds). This show also made me appreciate Rachael Soglin a lot more. Her voice kind of annoyed me in Twisted, but she won me over in this one. Joey Richter playing a bajillion parts was super impressive. Corey Dorris returning gave me so much life, he made Grandpa such a memorable character ("Lobsters will play no important role in my life" AND THEN ONE DID). And I'm so happy that Jaime Lyn Beatty finally had a solo in this after a long time without any!!! "Lost Without You" is like the one Starkid song that might work for a musical theatre audition. And once again Lauren Lopez is a boy and her characterization of the Son (I don't think I'd be allowed to say his name on the Stacks lol) is just spot on, exactly how a child of that age would act. And of course Jeff Blim was a genius in this, having both written and starred in it. 
  • Yes I Am Afraid Of The Dark. So don't kill me but I never got to see the livestream so I don't have an opinion on this sorryyyy
  • Elsie Fest! I didn't get to see it live but I watched their full set online and it was amazing! And their "Get Back To Hogwarts" reunion with Darren was so nostalgic omg. I also loved Meredith's Instagrams throughout the entire day haha. 
  • AVSR. I'm still waiting for the DVD so I'll get back to you on that!!! But the scene they uploaded on Christmas was hysterical, and DARREN. HIS VOICE. HIS ACTING. He's matured so much over the years and it showed when he sang "To Have A Home" I'M SO PROUD OF MY BBY ASDFSDHLJ *ugly cries*

And so I guess every time I try to return to the Stacks I'll start by fangirling over Starkid. Haha, hope you all don't mind this, ignore if you don't know Starkid, and I'm glad to be back!

.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ. 
"You've gotta danclike there's nobody watching,
love like you'll never be hurt,
sing like there's nobody listening,
and livlike it's heaven on earth."
-William W. Purkey
"Withoumusic,
life would be a mistake."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
.Jadedragon49.

regular_contributor

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Omg Jade you're back????????? Welcome back!

And I haven't watched AVPM past Gotta Get Back To Hogwarts but I probably should get back to it! So it's AVPM, AVPS and then AVPSY? I guess I should try getting back to them... probably :P

Also: What is Starkid? I know it's the people who made the Potter musicals but? What are they? A musical theater team? *shurgs* I'm so sorry i don't know things. ..........

frequent_vsitor

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 pm

HI ANNA!!! Yup, that's the right order! And omg please do. Starkid's a team of actors/writers/totally awesome people who make parody musicals of many different fandoms. They started when they were college students at UMich and now most of them are in Chicago (though now some of them are moving to LA). Beyond the Potter musicals, there's also a Star Wars musical, a Batman musical, etc. You should check them out!

.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ. 
"You've gotta danclike there's nobody watching,
love like you'll never be hurt,
sing like there's nobody listening,
and livlike it's heaven on earth."
-William W. Purkey
"Withoumusic,
life would be a mistake."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
.Jadedragon49.

contributor

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 pm

HEY!

I only watched the Very Potter series, so I can't speak about the others, but I agree their voices and talent are incredible! :') One of my friends recently got a sweatshirt with the lyrics from Not Alone (from AVPM).

Slightly unrelated, but have you seen the new musical Hamilton/listened to the soundtrack? I've been replaying the songs over and I'm currently listening right now actually. I really like Wait For It and of course, everyone's favorite Not Satisfied. Too poor to buy tickets to the actual show though...

regular_contributor

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:46 pm

@Lestria: haha i've never really listened to musicals much like you guys (one of the reasons i find it kinda hard to get into the Very Potter series, I guess? Also i'm lazy even about things that should be fun leisure time :P) but Katherine (twinktoes87) kinda recced Hamilton on some other thread and i'm super glad for that one-nighter that convinced me to listen to it because it's AWESOME. My faves are My Shot and Non-Stop because of how motivational they are, but i also love Dear Theodosia and What Did I Miss beacuase it's CATCHY. Also the entire musical, I guess? I really like Eliza's voice. man, did i learn a lot of history :O I think it's a super great idea though, kind of like... reviving history? If only politics were rap battles irl too :P

contributor

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 pm

@hippolyte: SORRY THIS RESPONSE IS SOOO LATE but I was actually just listening to Hamilton (and I've been listening to it for the past week, so not that big a surprise). My favorite songs are Wait For It (I loooove Burr's voice and the melody is just so nice) and Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story. But yeah, I also really like My Shot and Non-Stop (Hamilton wrote the other 51!!!!!!!!), and What Did I Miss is definitely catchy. Recently, I've also been replying Your Obedient Servant over and over because I love the contrast between the agressiveness and the passive-agressiveness. And yes, I feel like I could recite Hamilton's life story now and not even break a sweat doing it -- and I don't even like USH. Have you seen the video where Jonathan Groff takes on Angelica's part in The Schuyler Sisters? I might be a teeny bit obsessed with Jonathan Groff, but it's also such great acting (and singing!)

regular_contributor

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

@Lestria: YES I also love Burr's voice, and Wait For It is sooooooo epic and catchy and ugh yeah my latest obsession overally :P Jonathan Groff is King George? He good too :D At first I thought You'll Be Back was a random love ballad... and then i realized that's exactly what it's supposed to sound like, until he twists everything and it turns into a pretty messed up message :o 
Haha I barely know all that much about US History unfortunately. It's embarassing to admit that, but when I first heard the term "Founding Fathers" (and yes that was from the musical), i thought that meant the four presidents that were on the Mount Rushmore Memorial (yes also I just opened up a new tab and typed "mountain that has faces on it" to find out the name haha) because i thought they were the first four presidents of America = Founding Fathers and was like "ah yes, I could only name 3 of them! Hamilton must've been the 4th face!"
And then I kept listening to the musical like "??? When does he become president??? He doesn't!" But it turns out the Founding Fathers were something different. (Also: I only had 2 presidents on the Memorial down right, Washington and Jefferson. I thought there was also Franklin who was apparently not included bc HE WASN'T A PRESIDENT HE WAS JUST A FOUNDING FATHER GOD I JUST FOUND THAT OUT >( Oh well I guess you learn new things every day. Haha I Am Embarassed)
:P I watched that video! It was very funny! :D :D :D "She's looking for me!" Haha it was great thanks! 

frequent_vsitor

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Omg I'm so sorry that I haven't responded to this but YES #YAYHAMLET. Hamilton is my biggest obsession right now!!!!! And don't kill me but I actually saw it last January? It was my Christmas present, my mom told me that she bought tickets like immediately after they first went up last summer. It was absolutely incredible, there so many staging choices that made the score even better that I don't want to spoil, and all of the actors were so friendly at the stage door! LMM and Phillipa Soo (aka two of my biggest faves in the cast) were the only ones who didn't come out and I was upset but there's always the Broadway Flea Market in September so hopefully I can bump into them there?  I've been going for the past threee years to NYC.

My favorite songs change on a daily basis, but currently they are Satisfied, The Room Where It Happens, and Burn - three of the best storytelling songs in the show. I just sang and played Burn on the piano for a school showcase thing. Also Dear Theodosia and It's Quiet Uptown give me ALL THE FEELS. And okay honestly the entire score gives me so much life. YES THE SCHUYLER GEORGES VIDEO IS THE BEST THING. The casting was just spot on for that, of course Groffsauce would be Angelica, and then Brian D'arcy James as Eliza and Andrew Rannells as Peggy, just yes. Did you guys see the videos from the White House? And can we just talk about all the Ham4Hams??? My personal favorite is Oak Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison) singing "Defying Gravity" with a Mickey Mouse voice, he seems like such a tough guy but he is actually a cinnamon roll too good too pure for this world. 

And now I will talk about the songs that you guys actually mentioned in this thread already lol. YES WAIT FOR IT. It's such a wonderful way to establish Burr's character, plus it's super catchy and sounds like it could actually be on the radio. Do you guys know Musicality? It's an acapella group from Chicago that's covered a bunch of Hamilton songs, Wait For It was one of their first covers and their soloist for it actually sounds so much like Leslie Odom, Jr., they're amazing please check them out! Idk, I like My Shot but it's not my favorite just because they keep singing it everywhere and there are lots of equally musically interesting songs in the show. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story is one of my absolute favorite finales ever, from like the entirety of musical theatre canon. It just tells the message of the story so clearly and perfectly, and the way that Eliza ends it just takes my breath away. The way that Non-Stop ties so many songs from the first act together is also amazing! I also love What Did I Miss, a bunch of my friends don't like it and I'm just sitting here like frown they also don't like Farmer Refuted, but I actually love it, A. Ham is so sassy in that. Omg the beginning of Your Obedient Servant always just makes me stop right in my tracks and drop whatever I'm doing. LESLIE ODOM JR. IS INCREDIBLE, the way he conveys Burr's turbulent emotions in that and in The World Was Wide Enough is just unbelievable. And also You'll Be Back is such a great song, Groffsauce's interpretation of it is hysterical and all of the references to the British Invasion in it are awesome. 

I apologize for this overly long message but ugh. Hamilton. HAMILTON. 

contributor

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:36 am

ahh lucky! My Spanish teacher has won the lottery like 3 times and my friend's mom has gone like 5 (but she's rich). I haven't entered the lottery bc the times are bad for me right now bc of school, but I just want to see Hamilton sometime this year. 

I'm listening to the Musicality cover of Wait for It right now and I completely agree, the voice is soo smooth and similar to Leslie Odom Jr.'s <3 The first time I listened to the soundtrack, I loved the showstoppers (Alexander Hamilton, My Shot), but now I just love all of the songs lol. I also agree Farmer Refuted is underrated (don't modulate the key then not debate with me!)

I'm obsessed with Right Hand Man this week haha, I really love the melody in the beginning and "here comes the GenerAL!" and how badly Washington burrrrns Burr. Poor Burr.

#yayhamlet

regular_contributor

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:56 pm

@jadedragon: I've never seen A Very Potter Musical or A Very Potter Senior Year. They must be good. I just finished my first superhero novel, The Adventures of StarGirl. It's about a girl named Amelia Adams and she struggles with lack of self-confidence in that book, and perfectionism in the second. 

regular_contributor

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Oooh!!!

@jadedragon: You're lucky to have seen it! Haha I don't think I'm ever going to watch Hamilton live but... you never know. I hope you meet your favorites soon! :P 

OMG you performed Burn in front of others I'm so proud of u!!! It's such a heartwrenching song, i feel all of Eliza's sorrow omg o_o I agree that Burr's songs (Wait and The Room) are both so AMAZING. It's Quiet Uptown makes my heart bleed and it's also such a beautiful meldoy and I'm left crying... not literally but so close man. So. Close.

I looked up Musicality and they're goooood! :D And personally I love My Shot because of how motivational it is and because it speaks to my soul :O Who Lives Who Dies is an outstanding musical piece but I don't listen to it all that much unless I'm in the mood for suffering, because of how much it makes me feels things. The finale to Non-Stop is amaze. How can anyone not like What Did I Miss, it's so catchyyy. And Hammy is so awesome in Farmer Refuted omg. But yeah generally it's p underrated. Welp it's a huge musical, it's kinda expected that some songs will be more overlooked compared to others. Angelica is also super rad B)

Also now @Lestria: I hope you get to watch Hamilton live the sooner possible!!! :D And GURL I LOVEEEEE Right Hand Man it makes me come alive "RISE UP!!!!!!" and then all the canon noises. Yorktown is also amazing & it fills me with adrenaline. That reprise of My Shot chorus at the begging is just :O AND I also love Guns and Ships because Lafayette is so epic in that and generally the whole ~epic battle~ mood in these songs is exactly my kind of thing :D

[ 16 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team