Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 17 posts ] Average score:  
 Book Suggestions
new

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm

I am doing a reading list at school, and I have to read 10 books by November. However, these can be any books at 7th grade level. Do any of you have suggestions of books to read? I'm reading those for fun, too!

The reason I'm asking is because I've read almost all the books in my house and I haven't found any others I want to read at a bookstore.

Re: Book Suggestions
new

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm

//@catgymnastics173; Before I suggest books, I would like to ask a few questions to possibly aid in what I will need to search for.

1. Do they need to be fiction and non-fiction? If not, would you only prefer fiction?

2. Are you an average level or advanced level reader? //Do you read on grade-level or can you read some books on a higher grade level such as an 8th grader or Freshman in High School/9th grader?//

3. What type of books are you fine with reading? Do you tend to read Young Adult type of books or more around your year? //This will determine whether or not you can read books with your year range or if you can read books oriented towards the high schoolers; more or less as I see it. This is so that I can possibly find some books appropriate for you.//

4. What genre of books are you most interested with reading? And if you have to read non-fiction, what areas of History are your favorite? //If you have to read non-fiction, I'm going to suggest books dealing with parts of History which you may encounter in later years, as it may benefit you in the future.//

5. Any other recommendations or specifications towards books? //Such as what you would rather not read or something you're interested. For instance, vampires or time travel; although, no promises here, obviously.// //

-*Zirconia

new

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:03 pm

I suggest the Fear Street novels by R.L.Stine. I love them (Party Games is my favorite). And they're a 7th grade level. If you like mysteries and horror (they're not too scary), then these are the books to read yes

regular_contributor

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Have you already read the Harry Potter series? If not- go read everything in order! It's awesome and i love those series so much :D

Other good series: I like Percy Jackson series but I prefer the Heroes of Olympus series, which is a sequel to PJO. it's a total of 10 books, and pretty easy reads all in all! 

Other gr8 books: I love Melina Marchetta! Try reading Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Frasnesca: The Piper's Son, a sequel to Saving Fransesca, is also awesome, but they're considered YA so if you're not very comfortable with the themes in the books or anything, maybe you should read the summary first or maybe ask a bookseller for advice on them and stuff. But i love them and if you don't mind then i think they would be enjoyable to read! Marchetta has also written (On The) Jellicoe Road, which i haven't read myself (yet!) but i've heard very good things about!

Also: The Hunger Games trilogy! It's very good! 

Uuum, what else. I like The Giver! The Maze Runner trilogy! It's a YA dystopia kinda like THG, but different! (THG is soo much better imo though)

Aaand idk what else, but i hope this helps!

new

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 pm

@darkrising6

1. It doesn't really matter if it is fiction or non-fiction, but I personally prefer fiction.

2. I read at advanced level. My actual reading level is around college, but I do not read young adult books.

3. I read more around my year, but occasionally I read teen novels.

4. I am most interested in realistic fiction, novel, comedy, and science/fantasy. (As a side note on History, I am considering The Diary of Anne Frank.)

5. I would prefer not to read books that take place in a dystopian fantasy, as they can come off to me as dark and depressing, and shockingly realistic sometimes. However, I do like time travel and mythology, and books similar to Harry Potter. I enjoy books that take place with characters as animals, inside a forest or some biome of nature. Books where a character overcomes a personal problem, such as a disability or illness, also appeal to me. (E.g., Out of My Mind, Wonder, etc.)

I hope this helps you narrow down to books you could recommend to me, Zirconia. smiley

-Rachel

new

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:29 am

@hippolyte

I love Harry Potter, I have read the entire series, in order, multiple times! I am also starting the Lighting Thief from Percy Jackson! I have thought about The Giver, and the other books sound really cool! However, I am not a huge fan of dystopia. sad But thanks anyway for the suggestions! :D I'll look into Melina Marchetta!

Yours,

Rachel

regular_contributor

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 pm
@Rachel: ooh, glad i could help! The Percy Jackson series are very fun and easy to read, so hopefully you'll enjoy them! Heroes of Olympus series are generally larger books, but in my opinion they're overally a better series than PJO. I highly rec the Giver. It's a pretty short book, too, so it would probably be good for your goal? Omg if i manage to get you into Melina Marchetta it will be like... achievement unlocked, man! Her books are soooo good but sadly pretty underrated. I mean, she's an Australian author and pretty popular there, but i dont really know many people who know her in other places. Again, though, her books are kinda YA so just make sure to check the contents first, if youre worried abt that! (Though id say it'd be fine for readers over 13, or even mature younger readers, but i cant decide for you. I mean, if you're a college-level reader then you're probably fine, but im just making sure, yknow?) But theyre very great! Its a combination of fun and seriousness, and the characters in both Alibrandi and Fransesca are awesome, especially the main heroines! Oh, if you're into trying historical fiction, try The Book Thief! Its honestly a p great book set in WWII, but also very sad because of its setting. Still worth it though, imo! Anyway, all these books so far are pretty easy to read, in that they're not overly long and generally pretty gripping, so they'd be good for your goal, hopefully! Do you like Jane Austen? I LOVE her works, although im not sure if youd be into regency era novels of manners :p. Regardless, i'll always rec Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility! Also Love and Friendship: its a v short story and basically a parody of all those dramatic romantic novels, and its soo fun, ive read it so many times by now!

new

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

I would have to sugest Wonder i do not know what level it is but it is amazing i hope you have not read it yet!(PLEASE READ PLANS CATGYMNASTICS are you in seventh grade?!)

new

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:20 am

@snakebook30 Yes, I am in seventh grade, and sadly I have already read Wonder, back in 5th grade! Our class read it it 6th grade but I had previously read the book. I agree, it is amazing! It is of a lower-level for me at this point in time, but now I am looking for examples of Mysteries. I hope y'all can come up with some great books! 

Thank you! smiley

-Catgymnastics173

new

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:04 pm

//@catgymnastics173; I apologize about the late reply. I found some books; however, I haven't read any of them, thus it is best to look at the synopsis to see if it is worth the read or not.

Mystery.
Ocean Realm - Rebecca Moesta [Book 2]
Rhiannon - Vicki Grove
Set in Stone - Linda Newbery
The Crow - Alison Croggon [Book 3]
And Then I Found Out the Truth - Jennifer Sturman
The Secret Twin - Denise Gosliner Orenstein
Oracle: River of Ore - C.W. Trisef [Book 3]
Oracle: Fire Island - C.W. Trisef [Book 2]
Oracle: Sunken Earth - C.W. Trisef [Book 1]
Ghost Walls: The Story of a 17th Century Colonial Homestead - Sally M. Walker
From the Grave - Gareth Stevens Editors
A School for Brides - Patrice Kindl
Wisdom's Kiss: A Thrilling and Romantic Adventure Incorporating Magic, Villainy, and a Cat - Catherine Gilbert Murdock

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -  Arthur Conan Doyle
The Case of the Left-Handed Lady: An Enola Holmes Mystery - Nancy Springer [Book 2]
Ghosts of the Deep - Daniel Cohen
Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop - Jennifer Allison [Book 4]
Justin Thyme - Panama Oxridge [Part One]
The Playmaker - J.B. Cheaney
Song of the Gargoyle - Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Tunnels - Roderick Gordon [Book 1]
Legion of the Dead - Paul Stewart [Book 3]
William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream - Bruce Coville
The Hidden Treasure of Glaston - Eleanore M. Jewett
A Mind for Trade: A Great New Solar Queen Adventure - Andre Norton
The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye: An Enola Holmes Mystery -  Nancy Springer [Book 6]
The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan: An Enola Holmes Mystery - Nancy Springer [Book 4]
The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets: An Enola Holmes Mystery - Nancy Springer [Book 3]
Haunted - Gareth Stevens Editors
Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? - Eleanor Updale [Book 1]
Shadows of the Silver Screen - Christopher Edge [Book 2]
The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan
The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline: An Enola Holmes Mystery - Nancy Springer [Book 5]
Fire in the Sky - Christoph von Schmid
Mythology - Neil Philip

Science Fiction [Other Worlds]
Fire Season - David Weber [Book 2]
A Beautiful Friendship - David Weber [Book 1] //

-*Zirconia

new

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Cool ( i am in fourth grade)

new

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 am

You should read Theodore Boone by John Grisham it is really good but it is a series.

new

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I LOVE the book The Hired Girl! Its one of my all time favorite books! And if you are looking for a long read this book is perfect and pulled at all my emotions!heart

new

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 am

Based on your interests I would suggest the books in the Time Quintet by Madeline L'Engle. 

A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time

They're all excellent and compelling.

If you're looking for realistic fiction, I'd suggest the books in the Tillerman Cycle by Cynthia Voigt.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Great suggestions!

new

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:16 pm

my favorite  book series are percy jackson heros of olympus both by rick riorden!

i also like some other series such as flunked, and the 39 clues the hunger games and i am planning to read harry potter!smiley

new

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:16 pm

my favorite  book series are percy jackson heros of olympus both by rick riorden!

i also like some other series such as flunked, and the 39 clues the hunger games and i am planning to read harry potter!smiley

[ 17 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team