Full Series Discussion

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  

Movie portrayal of characters from books?
Good job 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
could have been better 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
no. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15
 Book vs film portrayal? - spoilers -
new

Sat May 17, 2014 12:48 am
Hello friends~!

So, for everyone who has seen all movies and read all the books...honestly, how do you feel about how they portrayed the characters?

I mean sure, the movies where still great, but the books where still better (in my opinion at least.)

I recently re-read the first book for, maybe the third or second time? Anyway, I immediately noticed a lot of similarity with it and the movie. However, when it came to the characters I was extremely surprised at some differences I found.

When I say this I mostly mean Draco. A lot of people write him as a pure PURE blood with no knowledge of the muggle world.

At least in most fanfics I see, I don't mean all of course, I mean even I used to write him like that!

But in the book it clearly states him telling countless stories that always seem to end with him making a narrow escape in some muggle helicopter like some spy movie or something. Where was that Draco? I would have loved to see him in the movie! I mean, they where accurate with him, but come on.

Muggle helicopters.

Also, I believe I remember book Ginny being more...spunky? I guess? Than the book Ginny. This I was actually quite angry about, i think a fun spunky Ginny would have been so much better!

There's only a couple of others, but I'm going to skip to my absolute favorite...Dumbledore.

The first three or so movies where actually very accurate with him, I guess you could say the other movies were too, but let me tell you about the Goblet of Fire (where the movie Harry had as much sass as book Harry. Also the year no one got a hair cut.)

Some people may not remember, especially me until it was pointed out to me, but you remember when Harry was in the room with the other players of the Tri-Wizard tournament? Remember that scene in the movie when Dumbledore practically YELLED at Harry? "HARRY POTTER DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYA???"

Guess what, friend!

"Harry, did you put your name in the Goblet of fire?" Dumbledore asked CALMLY.

Out of everything, this book vs movie difference is pointed out the most (I think...as far as I've noticed at least)

Now, I realize this is not a character difference thing...but where was Peeves. Come on. Seriously.

Now, did you noticed,or realize character differences between the movies and books? What do you think? Good job, okay job, or bad job?

Re: Book vs film portrayal? - spoilers -
new

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:01 pm

I think, overall, they did a good job with the movies. However, there were a few flaws. For instance, Ginny was not an interesting character in the movies. They picked a bad actor for her anyway, but still. She just sort of hangs around. She doesn't get any good lines.

In the first and second movies, Richard Harris played Dumbledore. But he died, and they recast Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. And I don't think Gambon was nearly as good of a fit for the role. He just didn't have the same sort of grandfatherly, caring personality. 

.・.

AquaCat586

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look
at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
Sirius Black
-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-

・.・

new

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm
i dont think they did a good jobs on the characters at some parts

new

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 am

Exactly-The Goblet of Fire Part-Dumbledore's supposed to be the calm guy, not flipping out. Confusedghost17-great description.

I did like it when Hermione did something with the toilet troll. In the books she's against the wall in horror. In the movies she told Ron "remember swish and flick". They did good on that, and when they're preparing for the battle with the gigantamous dome of protection. The knights "I've always wanted to use that spell". 

Harry's hair was too flat and manageable. In the books it was mentioned many times how his hair would NOT STAY FLAT!

yeah...

new

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am
I don't think Bonnie Wright is a bad actress. I've seen some of her auditions on YouTube, and she seems like a pretty decent one, honestly. I blame the lines, honestly. Ginny had the most awkward lines in all of the movies that I honestly think there is no way Bonnie Wright could've made the lines sound good. "I think you're in love Ron" is the kind of line I think was actually good for Ginny, but the then you get her lines in six, and I honestly wonder if the screenwriter actually cared to make Ginny's character an accurate adaptation from book to movie. There are some major characters that I think were adapted well. These include: Mr and Mrs. Weasley Fred and George Vernon, Petunia, and Dudley (kind of Dudley, but eh) Hagrid Lupin McGonagall Umbridge Bellatrix Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco (sort of Draco) Fudge Greyback The DADA teachers EXCEPT SNAPE Slughorn (kind of) Neville Luna Seamus Rita Cedric Krum Would've said Fleur if she was in six Cho in four only Lily There might be more, but I can't think of any right now. Why I don't like some of the character adaptations: Ginny: this needs no explanation, I could write encyclopedias on this honestly. Hermione: hmmm. Has anyone noticed that Hermione does nothing wrong in the films? Ron: dumbed down, comic relief only, passed over for Harry and Hermione, dark sides showcased while skimming the good sides, etc. Harry: his sarcasm is missing, chemistry with Ginny is zero, apart from those, I think he's the best of all the trio in terms of adaptation. The actors all did a good job with what they were given though Dumbledore: missing back story stifles complexity Snape: his love for Lily is totally dramatized and romanticized and I hate it. Alan Rickman is glorious though. James: literally nothing of his good side is shown Sirius: he's shown to have a good side but he's shown to be this really great father figure when he really isn't Pettigrew: shown to have little depth and isn't even killed where in the booms it's implied that he really was a part of the Marauders and was killed to demonstrate his character conclusion Dean: lot more present and likable in the books. He serves to be nothing other than Ginny's ex-boyfriend that she never apparently broke up with in the movies

new

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:21 pm

i think the book was better than the movie

new

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Books are always better than the movies, and I strongly disagree that Bonnie Wright is not a good actor. I have also read the books more than 30 times. I swear, I'm not lying.cool

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team