Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  
 Castle of Sand ch. 6 pt. 2 (end)
regular_contributor

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 pm
Leanan, with her pallid brown hair in a bun and a blue bow on it to add color, took out her lunch, which was always a sandwich, chips, and a small pastry of some sort. She had also gotten herself some Pamplemousse Rose Perrier, which was naturally carbonated water in the taste of pink grapefruit. I noticed that Leanan and I had worn the same suspenders-meets-overalls type of grey dress, but she wore a white shirt underneath, her own blue blazer, white knee-socks, and shiny black shoes. It wasn’t uncommon for the outfits of the girls to seem similar since the school sold the uniforms at the beginning of the year so to make sure the clothing was appropriate and so they could make profit for school expenses.

It was mostly the freshmen class that bought those. Seniors like Kaige. Michael, and me had already accumulated enough uniforms in our previous three years here.

“Mrs. Lourde mentioned that they had cut junior prom this year,” Leanan commented softly as she pushed her glass back on to the narrow bridge of her nose. “All the junior girls seem to have been complaining and crying about it.”

“They’ve still got senior prom to look for next year,” Mara noted, pointing her spoon at Michael. He and Kaige were wrapped in a conversation about how badly the basketball team had failed, even if Oannes had boasted every year at having the best staff and teams throughout Maryland and maybe the whole South (if not just the Upper South). “And you’ve got twice the senior prom to look for.”

Leanan blushed, her freckled cheeks dissipating under the red tones. “Oh, I don’t think he’s going to senior prom.”

“He has to,” Mara pouted, her green eyes narrowing down on the unaware Michael. “It’s his last chance to see you before he heads off to college. He got accepted into William and Mary, didn’t he?” Leanan nodded slowly, and she suddenly seemed intimidated by Mara. Mara had a strong, tough-cookie attitude she had built this year due to the horror of being picked on by her former friends for dying her hair blue. “That’s across the Chesapeake, all the ways in Virginia. And you know what he wants to major in. I don’t think he’ll have very much time for you once there.”

“Stop it,” I told Mara before I took Leanan’s hand. “Ignore her. But if you want to go to this senior prom with Michael, you should ask him about.” I slid my eyes over to Mara. “And don’t feel pressured. He’ll definitely have time for you. It’s not like he’s moving to Texas. Or Oregon.”

“Right,” Leanan said, still unsure. She bit into her sandwich, her grey eyes on the table.

I shot Mara a look.

When the bell rang, any happiness I did have during lunch vanished as I headed to my fifth period, which was Astronomy. Astronomy was a nice enough class, and it was pretty interesting every other day—but today it was an off day. I found myself resting my head on my arms as Mr. Hao taught us, wishing the day would just end. After this, I had my Japanese class and then was Visual Arts—thankfully.

I closed my eyes for a moment—only a moment—and I found my mind wandering to the attack that gave me my star-shaped scar nearly eleven years ago. But then I opened them, and the Promethean board had pictures of several constellations, and I recognized the one for Aquarius, the one that was my zodiac sign. Mr. Hao said something about the stars, and I believed it was something about the early humans and the stars, but I was too busy staring at the photographs myself.

Stars burned. Just like mine.

When Visual Arts finally came around, I found my spot next to Kaige. Our warm up assignment was to draw the first thing that came to our minds, and I found myself sketching stars across my notebooks and the face of Emrys. Kaige looked over and he smiled, something in his eyes.

But what caught my attention was what he had drawn. On his paper was the face of Cliodhna, one of the Guardians of Emrys. And from her hand was something he had shaded in blue, almost like electricity was running through and headed for us, right through the page. Kaige was remembering that moment that had happened two weeks ago, when we had gotten attacked. I wanted to reach over there and tear the page off before setting it on fire.

And Kaige noticed my look.

“Are you okay?” he asked me.

“Yeah,” I whispered after a few seconds before returning back to look at my drawing. I slowly raised my hand, my eyes stuck on the stars that suddenly seem to glow with life and static and an azure hue.

“Miss Aine?” Mrs. Kaute asked me.

“Can I go to the bathroom?” I managed out.

She nodded, pulling a piece of paper out of her art apron to write me a pass on. I got out of my chair and took the slip. I began to run as soon as I was outside the door, as fast as I could, and I had barely managed to lock the stall door before I collapsed on my knees and started to weep silently.

I hated the Guardians so much. If I could do anything in the world, I’d make them pay for all the misery they had caused.

Re: Castle of Sand ch. 6 pt. 2 (end)
N/A

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 pm
  :( Awwww....that was so....so.....so SAD..........
   Keep writing, this is getting better and better!!!!

regular_contributor

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:27 pm
Thanks! ^__^

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 am
OK
:smileyhappy:

_TheLooker23_ wrote:
  :( Awwww....that was so....so.....so SAD..........
   Keep writing, this is getting better and better!!!!

new

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 pm
Aly, I'm actually a really big fan of yours:) I see your stuff everywhere, and though I haven't gotton a chance to read the beginning of Castle of Sand I really like the ending part! It has lots of flavour some of the stuff i see on here (not naming names) is sort of dry, and colourless and flavourless. This was not though. It was full of life and feeling. It's not like my school's fish, (dry, grey, and flavourless) :( haha! Sorry, if thats a disgusting thing too compare you too......Cuz it sort of is.... P.S. My favorite piece of yours is Lost in Wonderland! You did SUCH an amazing job on that! Ciao, Emma

new

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 pm
You sure do know how to write!

new

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm
This is really good! Please post more!

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team