General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 Coming Back...?
frequent_contributor

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:26 am

Hi Bronwen (if you are still the moderator) and others!

I'm thinking about coming back to the boards, on kind of a casual basis. I talked before about wanting to be one of those adultish people who were supposed to be helping us critique, whatever they're called, once I got old enough. I ended up leaving the boards instead because a) it wasn't possible to do officially and b) the text editor fiasco. Yikes.

But greentea (Jess) has informed me recently that the text editor is better! On top of that, I have just barely gotten back from meeting up with a bunch of old WIers, including Jess and cavy and so many more, and it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life, getting to see them all in person and realizing that, after having known them through the boards since I was thirteen, I have a whole group of wonderful friends ready to support and love me. And I love them too! It was truly magical. (Also, I got to meet Amy Zhang, a teen writer whose debut, Falling Into Place, comes out in September! Eeek!)

It made me feel bad, a bit, about not keeping up with you, Bronwen, and I figured this would be the best way to do that! I also loved these boards so much when I was younger, and I'd love for it to go back to being more of a real positive atmosphere.

So, I want to become an unofficial one of those adult peoples, and go through just commenting on novel posts to help get some discussion going and to add critique. I'm hoping this is cool with you, Bronwen, and that it's not creepy with me now being twenty and all. It'll only be occasional, most likely, and I really do not intend to be a creeper. Not that that's even possible on these boards, haha.

So, for those of you who don't remember me, I am Kira, aka DolphinWriter, and I have been on these boards since I was thirteen, though I quit at eighteen because of being old. I have written 18 novels at this point and am still struggling to get published, although I learn more and more every day about the industry and writing. I'm at college right now getting my English: Creative Writing degree, which would be much more exciting if we didn't have gen eds (the required classes, like science and math. Euch.) I mostly write YA fantasy, although I like some room to spread out. Right now, I'm actively working on a contemporary novel, which was a big surprise to me, since I thought I was horrible at contemp. I've done some paid work as a freelance editor since I left, and learned a lot from that too! I've also been through lots of personal challenges, with mental illness and stuff, and am working hard to overcome it all.

That's me, and I will be coming on here from now on, just once and a while, to comment on your posts and give you critique. Unless Bronwen decides that that's creepy. Just wanted to inform you.

I also wanted to say that, like the others who have said as much in the past year or so, these boards meant the world to me when I was younger and have made such a big difference in my life. Getting to meet other old WI-ers in person really reminded me of that, and I know I wouldn't be half the writer, or person, I am without them and this. All of you who come on here now have the chance to get that too! So let's be a community, yeah? smiley

Thanks guys!

Kira

Unofficial Adult Advisor for Write It!

Re: Coming Back...?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 am

Kira!!

i'm so happy to see your name (and have it actually be you) I could weep!!  I have missed all of you old-timers (heehee) VERY much. 

We should all be so lucky to have you (re)join the community on any kind of basis. Please consider yourself  welcome, invited, and much admired. I wish I could offer you something more official than virtual cookies and my respect.

i think we should think of a new title though-- something about "unofficial adult advisor" *does* sound kind of creepy  :P 

Adult Alumnus? Hm. Maybe that's worse. No-Longer-Young Writer? Ha. Just kidding. We can drop "unofficial" though. I hereby make you official and I think I'll introduce you on the Novel boards, at least. Will you focus there or will you look at SciFi/Fant. too? Just let me know. 

Hooray hooray. You made my day. 

Write It Mod

frequent_contributor

Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 am

Hahaha, I accept virtual cookies and respect at all times. smiley I also accept any suggestions for what to actually call myself, lol. Does "Adult Advisor" without the "Unofficial" sound less creepy? I really wish I could remember what the people that used to do that stuff were called.

I think I'll just be on the Novel boards for now. Busy busy college person. smiley But I'm glad I'm welcome!

Kira

Official-like Something Adult-ish Who Critiques Stuff

P.S. For some reason, the "Replied To" symbol for threads I've answered isn't showing up for me, they just have the symbol for New or No New messages. Is that a sitewide glitch?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:09 am

I will look into the issue with the "replied to" symbol and let you know. It's the first I''ve heard of it, so fingers crossed that if won't be phenomenally difficult to fix. 

-WIM

new

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:19 pm
hey this is bull biking 747, so you have some creative writing how did you get so good at it? love you friend bull biking 747

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team