Romance at Hogwarts

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 31 posts ] Average score:  
 Discussing LGBT topics
visitor

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve seen a lot of discussion recently about gay and lesbian characters on these boards and with those discussions have come a bit of confusion I’d like to help clear up.

J.K. Rowling announced during an interview following the release of the Deathly Hallows that Dumbledore is gay.

I’d also like to remind everyone that we do not tolerate prejudice against anyone, including fictional characters. Also, please be respectful of everyone’s beliefs regarding these topics, as with everything else you discuss on the Boards.

Thank you,
Moderator Brian

Re: Discussing LGBT topics
contributor

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:57 pm
Of course! :) Thanks for clearing this up! :D

Foreverelephant

°°°°°°°..°°°°°..°°°°°...°°°°°..°°°°°..°°°°°°°

new

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:01 pm
I read the interview but Dumbledore doesn't seem like it. like,I don't think he wwas in "love"with grindelwald,he just loved that he had so much power.Dumbledore is one ofmy favorite characters and I won't judge him.

frequent_contributor

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 pm
THANK YOU for posting this! I've actually went back before and read posts from over three years ago when people were just finding out Dumbledore was gay and there were some VERY predjudice comments, so I appriciate this being posted!

Twinktoes87

~Proud Supporter of the Rainbow~

Copy and paste this if you support the LGBT community and their rights

frequent_vsitor

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:27 am
In my imaginary family my oldest brother is gay, but I have been hesitant to talk about it (because i have an imaginary family and because I wasn't sure if LGBT topics were considered appropriate)... @brainyathena30 that's really interesting! According to John Green, that bit of information isn't technically in the books and should therefore be left up to your imagination. I love the extra bits of info, but at the same time I wish it was up to the fans to come up with wacky and wonderful theories....Idk ~aquabooks99

regular_contributor

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:09 pm
...So we can disagree so long as we keep other people's well-being and feelings in mind. I'm personally always scared to disagree with topics like this. I mean, I still respect their community and things, I just don't necessarily agree with everything they say. So I'll keep that in mind.

~Lauren

new

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 pm
Thank you for posting this. ;)
~Skyelark Moon :lol:

new

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 am
Ok! Thanks, Moderator Brian! :)

~ Mia

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, all those who live without love." ~Albus Dumbledore

contributor

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 am
@aquabooks99: Imaginary family? I've always had an imaginary friend (well, more like a few) but a family, that's cool, I don't know why I've never thought of it! I'd probably have a twin sister who is LGBTQ because then we'd be able to talk about the guys and girls we like and give each other advice from the opposite spectrum (I'd imagine her as more tomboy-ish so she wouldn't really understand how another girl thinks).

Twinktoes87

You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

~Fall For Anything, The Script

contributor

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:07 am
GAH. Somehow I think I'm logged into my sister's account, even though I signed in XP Sorry guys. This is Twinktoes87 and not my sister Becka/34Wonderland!

Twinktoes87

frequent_vsitor

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:15 am
Like, the actual character, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore is? Or just the actor? Because I know the actor is. But really? Dumbledore???
~Tam (harrypotterisbeast)

contributor

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 am
Thanks, Katie.

frequent_vsitor

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
@twinktoes87, thanks. It started out as a story, but evolved into something more...real. I created a post about it a while ago here: http://community.scholastic.com/story-people-t421082.html and here: http://community.scholastic.com/story-people-update-or-aquabooks99-is-crazy-t423910.html That twin sister idea is really cool :) You should write about it! ~aquabooks99

frequent_contributor

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:04 am
@Becka: luvya sissy ♥

Twinktoes87

Currently listening to: Exit Wounds by The Script

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 am

Thank you for making this post!!! Personally, my family and I are very pro-LGBT so I may go a little overboard with expressing my opinion sometimes...soooo yeaahhhh.....

~Lilly/Brilliantviolet5

frequent_contributor

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 am
@harrypotterisbeast, the character Albus Dumbledore is gay. The actors who played him are not though ;-]

:]
-kreacher
currently reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 pm
i totally knew it!!!

new

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 am
My mom told me about the interview and I just went wild. I knew he was homosexual. It was so obvious! But I didn't tell anyone cause I thought everyone would think I'm crazy and creepy but I was so right. Hooza!!!

regular_contributor

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm
Actually (on the Dumbledore-is-gay chat) I thought she said Dumbledore had romantic feelings for Grindelwald, BUT THEN he saw Grindelwald's true self and their friendship broke (alas, they duelled later) so he was an asexual for the rest of his life.

frequent_contributor

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 am
@Hippolyte: That's basically what happened, but I wouldn't mix up not having romantic feelings and never loving again. No, Dumbledore was still gay, but he just never loved again, there is a difference :)

regular_contributor

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 pm
@Twinktoes87: Eh, I didn't said that people who are not in love are asexuals, but that's what I know. :)

new

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm
I agree! ^.^

new

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm
@Hippolyte -- I would agree with you in that he was gay, but then became asexual. I always kinda assumed that, since he never really showed romantic feelings.

regular_contributor

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:28 pm
@Jared: I just read somewhere, once that Dumbledore was an asexual in his later life.
But it doesn't really matter, by the time we meet him on the books he's alread 100+ years old, he wasn't going to show any romantic feelings for anyone anyways :B

new

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm
thanks for clearing that up with true info

new

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 am
Hey! I know it's been a while since the last post but I wanted to say...being asexual and not feeling romantic attraction are not the same thing! Asexuality is the lack of wanting to do things like kissing, even with the people that you have romantic feelings for. A person who doesn't have romantic feelings is aromantic. Not all aromantic people are asexual, and the other way around.
tl;dr: asexuality=/=no romantic feelings!!
no romantic feelings=aromantic
:)

regular_contributor

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 pm
@befuddledragon14: (Wow cool username :D) Yes man I know that don't get me wrong... but that's something I once saw on Dumbledore's case. I'm not even claiming it's canon, because I don't know if it is. (Well maybe I did when I first said that... but that was a while ago)
I'm not saying it's what I believe is true either. Even if his orientation did change, it makes no difference story-wise, because by the time we meet him he's in his hungrends and his orientation is probably the only thing not touched upon in the books.
(I'm most likely getting overwhelmed here, but I don't want to be misunderstood or create misunderstandings and have angry people rioting in the streets because that scares me)

new

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 am
@hippolyte: (thanks!! i like yours too!) I totally understand where you're coming from. I wasn't commenting on whether or not your case was canon (it's valid and definitely interesting!), and orientations do change throughout people's lives. I was just pointing out that if Dumbledore was asexual, he could develop romantic feelings for someone. (wow that was not my intention at all and i'm sorry if it came across that way!! i really enjoyed reading this thread and everyone's opinions on it )

regular_contributor

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:07 am
@Anna: I have a thread involving colliding couples on this board if you want to check it out. We can do a mix of Draco/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, like have them hate each other but grow to love each other but first become friends and at the end get married.

new

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:42 am

I am so happy that everyone is being totally polite and acceptive (I think that is a word:D) of Dumbeldore and any other LGBT characters or real people.  You guys rock!!!! wink

contributor

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:00 am

I think it's great that people can be so accepting.

[ 31 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team