Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 22 posts ] Average score:  
 Do you think graffiti is art? Here is what i think...
visitor

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 pm
Hey! im Grimlin(thats just my pen name)

My 8th grade English class is doing a project in writing a paragraph about a certain subject, my subject is based on if i think of graffiti as art. So if you wouldn't mind i would love for you to read over it, and just revise it or give me some feedback on it!!! THANKS SOO MUCH! you are contributing to getting a student a "A"!! THANKS!!

well here it is...

Many people debate on if graffiti is art or not, but graffiti is just as much art as painting on a peice of paper would be. There are tons of explinationsons why graffiti is concidered art, but here are a few. First of all, not everyone can draw adn make things look realistic. You need talent for this seven if your drawing on a building wall. to create graffiti you need to be able to understand art, and know what colors and shapes should go were to make it look pretty, or enjoyable to look at. Yet there are many other reasons why graffiti is art, but the only ting different is what your drawing on. YOur just painting on a wall instead of a convis, or a peice of paper. the last reason why graffiti is art is because even though they might be doing a rougher form of art, it doesn't mean that they dont have athe same passion and will for it.

...wow! time went fast! i have to go to my next period, but just if you can read what i have so far, and let me know?!?!? that would be awesome!! THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK!

RE: Do you think graffiti is art? (from Diona, Author Panel)

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 pm
Hi Grimlin, :)

Thanks for posting.

First of all, I like your topic. It's easy to think of graffiti as destruction or disrespect of property, and it takes a pretty open mind to defend it as art. So you caught my attention with your title/topic alone.

My first critiquing comment is that you should structure your language to make it more academic, or formal, and follow the rules of grammar. The line "many people debate on..." is one example of what I mean: people don't "debate ON" a topic, they "debate" a topic (or, some people would say that we "debate about" a topic).

Your main argument (that art is art whether it's on a canvas or a wall) is a good point. You do, however, repeat it a few too many times without changing your example, which can lead to boredom on the part of the reader.

Any line that sounds similar to "there are lots of reasons, but here are a couple" is a bit too typical for my taste. It's a common space-filler for a school essay; lots of students use it just because they can. If there are many reasons ("tons of explanations" is, again, more like something we would say in conversation than in a school essay), you should give us as many reasons as you can think of. Also, near the end of your paragraph, try not to say "the last reason" --- this makes it sound as though there are really only three.

When it comes to structuring an argument, you want to persuade your reader to agree with you. You could try by, first of all, defining (visual) art: for the purposes of your argument, art is anything beautiful that is created by a skilled person with a passion for art, that is put on display for others to enjoy. Then, refer back to your definition point-by-point to prove that graffiti is art.

If you have time/space, try expanding: is ALL graffiti art? Even people who just spray their initials on a wall? Why or why not?

Finally, your paragraph needs a good solid conclusion; something that sums up everything you've said and repeats your main point.

Once you've finished your paragraph, make sure to go back through it looking for spelling and grammatical errors. Hopefully this helps, and let me know if you get your A!

Diona

Re: Do you think graffiti is art? Here is what i think...
regular_visitor

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:08 pm
hi. yes, i definitely think graffiti is art. its just cool. why is your screen name guest? just curious.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Yes graffiti is art but, it is not good of them to do it in public property or on someone's home. I also agree you should use more academic language.

visitor

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Okay, so, this is good, but you need to check your spelling. That's all. (: Hope you get an A!!!

~IsisLovesCupcakes(:~

new

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes, i think that graffiti is art because someone created it so of course it is art !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When ever you create something it is there idea !%$#@^&*()?<?><?<<>?>><>??<><>><?><UGHYHH

new

Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm
hey grimlin i think your report or wateveris good just have a few spelling erors

visitor

Sat May 19, 2012 9:52 pm
You just need to check your spelling and capitolization and you're good to go! :)

contributor

Sun May 20, 2012 5:22 pm
Wow, this was posted in 2005! Probably one of the first posts on Scholastic.com. ~Jared

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm
Wow! then...Guest is prob in 12 grade or College by now.... Wow!

new

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:24 pm
yes i do think that graffiti is art i actually like it

new

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:47 pm
Check ur spelling. I don't think graffiti is art.

new

Thu May 23, 2013 5:38 pm
it's rude to draw on peoples property but graffiti is quite beautiful!

new

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm
Graffiti is art!!! so who told u its not?????? if people in ur class said that than you should pull this page up and show them and say "I TOLD U SO READ THE COMMENTS!" :-D @>--->--- Rose!

new

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 am
Hi there! I am an artist so I will give you my honest opinion, graffiti MAY be art. But just think. Say, you owned a school. You had to pay for it and EVERYTHING! Then ask youself... do you want people drawing/painting all over it?! I think some graffiti is BEAUTIFUL but, not on other peoples property. Bye!

new

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm
Yes,because u r spray painting art without an art brush but nobody realizes that.I do though cause it gives people a chance to express there feelings and not hold it in.When u hold it in nobody knows how u feel and i would like for people to know how I feel.My sister always expresses her feelings by telling how she feels or running off when she is really mad.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:21 pm
no i think graffiti isnt art. I think that graffiti is drawing on someone else's property.

new

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 pm
i think it is cool

new

Wed May 28, 2014 12:03 am
OMG I read this book it is called dear dumb dariy Its funny

new

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Graffiti is definitely art ,a depend where is lay on ,for example in Rome Italy all train station include train are cover in graffiti not realy great looking but on wall they look great .That`s what i ask my parents ,i love to have my name in graffit for my room.

new

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:37 am

HIsmiley

new

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 am

MY SISTER JUST DID A PROJECT ON GRAFFITI/RESEARCH AND SAID IT WILL BE RUDE TO DO GRAFFITI IN SOMEONE ELSES PROPERTY AND THAT THEY MIGHT GET MAD

I THINK ITS GOOD TO SEE OTHER PEOPLES ART BUT NOT ON SOMEONE ELSES PROPERTY

P.S.SHE IS ONPLY IN 3RD GRADE

[ 22 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team