General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 11 posts ] Average score:  
 does any one else have the same problem as me
regular_visitor

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:04 pm

ok so I have all these great ideas for stories and then i try and put it on paper and well it just isn't the way I want it to be and I try to fix it but I'm just not good at writeing  

Re: does any one else have the same problem as me
rookie_visitor

Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 am
I get that a lot I start it and then ifs not exactly what I wanted so I kind of leave it but it bugs me From Tachi

new

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:22 pm
If you dont think your story is working right, or not the way you thought it would go, have a friend or teacher look at it and help you out. Sometimes when the story isnt going as I thought it would, I just write what comes into my head. Sometimes I surprize myself with what happens to the characters next. I hope this helps.

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:10 pm
Okay, here's what works for me when I've had this problem. Some people do better with other methods, but this is how I did it. Step 1: You say you have "all these" great ideas. Pick your favorite or two favorites. Step 2: Figure it out in your head. Get a good idea of 1)who your characters are and 2)where you are going. Develope the world your working with and your characters until you feel comfortable and have solid concepts. I did this for six years while writing it on and off before it got good enough for me. Step 3:Then write it down. Don't accept any wild tangents or new ideas for it until you've considered them for a while - just keep your stuff from step two unless a really good and WELL CONSIDERED idea comes. This is to keep your story from being what you don't want it to be. And you don't have to start at the befinning if that is too hard. Sometimes it will be inspiring and come easy but you will have to plough through a lot. Don't get discouraged - all writers have to do this. An if it isn't perfect, that's what revision is for.But you might be the write and toss type whose ideas come better when your actively writing. And you certainly don't have to take as long to think about it as I did. But this method has worked for others too, so I'm not totally crazy. Throughout this whole process, read. Read, read, read. Read the genre you're writng, read books about writing (they're very helpful), read what you enjoy. And yes, every writer I know of has ahd this problem. You can do it!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 pm
Yeah, we all do. My idea for you? Write down, as simply as possible, every original idea that you've had. (Unless, of course, you've been thinking about making stories about trolls/ sparkly vampires/ werewolves X humans: in which case, get some new ideas: TH053 4R3 41R34DY T4K3N. 38D) If something strikes you that you simply HAVE to add, then find some space and jot that down. Create something of a story web/ arc for the entire thing after that, then go from there. Yosh! thats my wisdom of the day. }:D

new

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:15 pm
Yup. I always go smooth and suddenly BAAM! I hit a wall. Its called "a writer's block". But you know what I do?? I read books. I know u do too but,seriously,I read a lot. I read what only 17-years-old read!!!! Read elder books and concertrate on how the writer solves The Writer's Block. But another advice is imagane urself instead of ur main character nd what would you do(write the opposite) and how would u want 2 finish it. Give a little romance.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:48 pm
...Wow, I now get that whole "hating past/ future selves" thing. I sounded like a jerk. Umm! Anyway! You still questing for mind to paper accuracy? I guess I get it: I personally tend to think of random scenes (like it's out of a movie!), then, when I'm positive my clip show is done, describe it to myself: what was the setting like? Was it first- or third-person? Was there anyone else with me/ the character? What was everyone doing? ....You know, all that jazz. Sometimes, just a funny line of dialogue comes to mind, and I'll just jot that down and work around it. Or just walk away and come back to it. A fresh perspective may help you recall the right word or phrase to make it all work, or help push you forward. Yep.

new

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:00 pm
Yes,to solve it write about something u know.-cathappy80

new

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 am
Heres how you know if you have a good book that you can actually finish. if you start writing it and you like the idea, but the begging is all off. Just start over, Dont sweat it! and if after typing for a while (a couple weeks, or months even) and the idea is starting to get old, but you still want to know what is happening to that charecter, Or what is going to happen to that Charecter. I have wrote at least 50 books in my life time, and I'm only 13, but I was doing it at a young age, and i can tell you truthfully that i think i have only finished writing about 2 of those stories... and one of them stinks...bad. Haha, just remember that if the story is good, you will continue to write it for a long time, until you do eventually finish it. And if it doesnt work out know, just remember to write it down, maybe later in life, you will be able finish it, or understand it better. XOXO, Emily

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:59 am
...you do realize that we're simply going to keep adding things until someone tells us to stop, right? I just remembered: I don't know how good you are at drawing people, but I try to get a good sketch of a character, and work on their personality through what I draw. It also gives me something to do during class... }:D Wait what am I saying, I can't condone drawing in class. (Trust me I've failed more than one tethering from not paying attention. Not fun. But seriously half of my math notebook is sketches. and history is just begging to be sketchified.) Draw at home or something. Official stance no jutsu.

new

Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 am
Most people have good stories in their heads, but when they try and write, the stories disappear. That's why my stories when I tell them are a lot more interesting than if I write them.

[ 11 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team