General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  
 Dolphins

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 pm
I love them so here are some facts!
Dolphins are mammals.

As all mammals, dolphins nurse their young from mammary glands.

2. Dolphins can swim up to 260 m. below the surface of the ocean.

However they are mainly shallow divers as they need to reach the surface to breathe.

3. Dolphins can stay up to 15 minutes under water.

They only do this some times as they usually stay only a few minutes diving before reaching the surface for air.

4. Dolphins use a technique called echolocation.

This technique uses the same principles of a radar, and it is used to find food and navigate.

5. Dolphins are social beings.

Dolphins live in groups and cooperate among each other for activities like getting food and calf rising.

6. Dolphins are Cetacenas.

There are 32 species of ocean dolphins and 5 species of river dolphins.

7. The largest dolphin is the Orca, also known as “killer whale”.

Orcas grow up to 6.1 meters long and they are named as whales because their size, but they really belong to the toothed cetacean family just like dolphins do.

8. The most popular dolphin is the “bottlenose dolphin".

Bottlenose dolphins are the ones we have seen in tv series, movies and aquatic shows. Bottlenose dolphins can grow up to 2.5-2.8 meters.

9. Dolphins are warm-blooded.

As mammals, dolphins are warm blooded and their internal temperature is around 36 degrees. To conserve this temperature they are surrounded by a thick layer of fat called “blubber” just below the skin.

10. The botllenose dolphin brain weighs 1500-1600 grams.

While average human brain weighs 1200-1300 grs. This is not a conclusive evidence of dolphin intelligence as many other factors might be the cause of intelligence according to scientists.

11. Dolphins communicate efficiently.

Dolphins can make a unique signature whistle that may help individual dolphins recognize
each other, collaborate and perform several other kinds of communication.

12. D olphins can swim 5 to 12 kilometers per hour.

This will depend on the species and situation, although fastest dolphins can reach up to 32 km/h.

Re: Dolphins

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm
Not, to be rude, but this sounds something write off a science book, you should add some of your own opinions, not just cold, hard facts. What was the main point. Not to be rude.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 pm
Good Job! Nice Facts :smileyvery-happy:

I Like Dolphins Too!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm
that is so cool! i didnt know that, i did a report on the bottle nose dolphin in first grade! keep the facts coming!  you  rock.wink smiley

new

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm

cool!! good job. i just wrote some fun animal facts.

kate

new

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 am

That was very intresting.Some of those facts I didn't even know, so I learned something new.That was really cool.yes

new

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm
well I always wanted to be a dolphin trainer and I read a lot of dolphins and they are so cute.But my favorite type of dolphin is the Bottel nose Dolphin.And the best Dolphin in the world is Winter the Dolphin.The one who lost its tail.That is so sad but I also want to be a Marine Vetinairian.I wonder how you think about Dolphins? I LOVE DOLPHINS! <3

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team