Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 3 posts ] Average score:  
 Friendship... or the Truth?
frequent_contributor

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm
Heyyy!
We just finished reading The Crucible in English, and for every act (there's four in all) we've been having to write a journal/memoir about a time when, dot dot dot.
I'm going to be posting all four, though sort of out of order, because it's going to take longer to change my name and some of the more central details in the ones for acts I and III, but here's the one for act II!
( Btw, I already know how, well, NOT good this one is. :P )

It’s hard to double-cross a friend, especially when whatever has happened, happens when one is very young.  But sometimes the friend was wrong in what she did, and sometimes the right thing to do is to turn her in. But how does someone do that? How does someone potentially give up the friendship for what is right?

One such event occurred when I was about five… so, a pretty long time ago. My best friend was my next door neighbor. I’ll call her Macy. She was two years younger than me, adorable with freckles and long, wavy brown hair. She was devious yet lovable, and very in touch with her inner liar.

One of my brother’s favorite things to do was plant maple seeds in his sandbox, create little irrigation ditches all throughout it, and create his own little city for the trees to grow in. He was pretty good at it, managing to grow trees to be a foot tall before they became too root bound and stopped growing.

Macy loved these miniature orchards, but for another reason than my brother. She liked to wreck them. She liked watching the trees get ripped apart, seeing the muddy water splash out of the sandbox. But most of all she liked seeing the devastation that crossed my brother’s face when he realized what had happened; that his efforts had been squelched yet again by Macy. She liked to laugh and point, and then when asked, claim that she hadn’t done anything. Say that it was her brother’s fault, or another neighbor’s fault, or a cat did it. We always knew it was her, though.

Probably the worst of all of these incidents was when her cousins were visiting. They seemed to like our play gym more than Macy’s, and so decided to spend the day on our equipment while we watched sadly from the picnic table on the back patio, wondering when we would get a chance to play in our own backyard. It was the height of summer, and before we got video games or books worth reading that we actually could read (I was five, remember).

Eventually, my brother went inside, giving up, deciding to watch TV. I continued watching as Macy led her older cousins all over the play equipment, swinging from the monkey bars, tangling up the swings, and leaping off the slide from the very top. Then, it happened. “Yes! Drew went in! Come over here!” Macy waved for the others to join her at the side of the sandbox. As soon as they were off the play gym, I went running over to get a chance to play. I ignored the others as they began stamping around in the box, ripping out the baby trees and throwing sand at each other.

When my brother came back out, he found his tree farm in total and complete ruin. “Diana!” he yelled, coming over to me where I was lazily swinging. “Macy ruined my sandbox again, didn’t she!?” His skin was red with rage, and he clenched his teeth angrily.

“No. Um. No. It wasn’t her… it was that cat, again…” I stuttered out, immediately protecting my friend.

Of course, Drew knew better. He knew that Macy always did it, but since I was the sole witness, and the others were unlikely to fess up to it, my poor brother was left to not be able to do anything but attempt to collect up the sand from the grass around the box, find some more mature maple seeds, and start the entire thing over again. I felt awful for what I had done, but what else could I do? Macy was my best friend. I wasn’t going to rat her out.

I’ve since learned that even when it’s a friend who’s done the bad thing, even when I don’t want to hurt her by telling the truth, the right thing really is to tell the truth.  Because she’s hurt someone else, already, and if I don’t tell the truth, she’s just going to keep on hurting people.

~Diana

"Don't declare defeat. Declare determination."

Re: Friendship... or the Truth?
regular_contributor

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:38 am
Red-Parts I edited.
Blue in Parenthesis-Notes you can delete in final draft.

It’s hard to double-cross a friend, especially when whatever has happened, happens when one is very young.  But sometimes the friend was wrong in what she did, and sometimes the right thing to do is to turn her in. But how does someone do that? How does someone potentially give up the friendship for what is right?

One such event occurred when I was about five… so, a pretty long time ago. Macy, my best friend, lived next door to me. (Combining them sounds better) She was two years younger than me, adorable with freckles and long, wavy brown hair. She was devious yet lovable, and very in touch with her inner liar.

One of my brother’s favorite things to do was plant maple seeds in his sandbox, create little irrigation ditches all throughout it, and create his own little city for the trees to grow in. He was pretty good at it, managing to grow trees to be a foot tall before they became too root bound and stopped growing.

Macy loved these miniature orchards, but for another reason than my brother. She liked to wreck them. She liked watching the trees get ripped apart, seeing the muddy water splash out of the sandbox. But most of all she liked seeing the devastation that crossed my brother’s face when he realized what had happened; that his efforts had been squelched yet again by Macy. She liked to laugh and point, and then when asked, claim that she hadn’t done anything. Say that it was her brother’s fault, or another neighbor’s fault, or a cat did it. We always knew it was her, though. Macy was more like a devil than an angel sent above. (This just adds a little humor to the passage)

Probably the worst of all of these incidents was when Macy's (I was confused when you said just "Her" Who?)cousins were visiting. They seemed to like our play gym more than Macy’s, and we decided to spend the day on our equipment while we watched sadly from the picnic table on the back patio, wondering when we would get a chance to play in our own backyard. It was the height of summer, and before we got video games or books worth reading that we actually could read (I was five, remember).

Eventually, my brother went inside, giving up, deciding to watch TV. I continued watching as Macy led her older cousins all over the play equipment, swinging from the monkey bars, tangling up the swings, and leaping off the slide from the very top. Then, it happened. “Yes! Drew went in! Come over here!” Macy waved for the others to join her at the side of the sandbox. As soon as they were off the play gym, I went running over to get a chance to play. I ignored the others as they began stamping around in the box, ripping out the baby trees and throwing sand at each other.

When my brother came back out, he found his tree farm in total and complete ruin. “Diana!” he yelled, coming over to me where I was lazily swinging. “Macy ruined my sandbox again, didn’t she!?” His skin was red with rage, and he clenched his teeth angrily.

“No. Um. No. It wasn’t her… it was that cat, again…” I stuttered out, immediately protecting my friend.

Of course, Drew knew better. He knew that Macy always did it, but since I was the sole witness, and the others were unlikely to fess up to it, my poor brother was left to not be able to do anything but attempt to collect up the sand from the grass around the box, find some more mature maple seeds, and start the entire thing over again. I felt awful for what I had done, but what else could I do? Macy was my best friend. I wasn’t going to rat her out. Sure, she'd do it to me but still.

I’ve since learned that even when it’s a friend who’s done the bad thing, even when I don’t want to hurt her by telling the truth, the right thing really is to tell the truth.  Because she’s hurt someone else, already, and if I don’t tell the truth, she’s just going to keep on hurting people.

Good story!
Love you,

Madison

~Diana

"Don't declare defeat. Declare determination."

Re: Friendship... or the Truth?
contributor

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 pm
That was amazing, and had a great moral. Good job!

[ 3 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team