Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 2 posts ] Average score:  
 gamer: a memoir
new

Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 pm
Gamer
A memoir

By Nate Turbyfill
A Chapter in my life

I have played videogames as long as I could remember. In the winter of 2006, when I was five, I got to play on our old Dell desktop. This is where everything began. I started out playing a game called, The Game of Life, which was based on the old Hasbro board game. After a while of this, I discovered Minesweeper which was an extremely hard strategy game, instead of trying to win, I just liked to blow up the board. In the spring of 2007, on my dad’s birthday, he bought me and my sister a Nintendo DS, the irony. My DS was blue, and my sister’s was pink. I played my DS a lot, almost every chance I got.
That same year, when I was six, I joined an online game called Poptropica, which had just come out. I played this game very much and at school, when we were supposed to be doing work on the computer, I gamed until I was caught. Soon after that time, my dad went on a business trip for a long time, about 3 months, when he came back we got a brand new laptop. Our parents let me and my sister play on it sometimes and of course when it was my turn, I played Poptropica.
In 2008, I got 3 games for our new laptop, one was called FATE, the other was The Prince of Persia and the last one had 4 games in one. Those games were, Polar Bowling, Polar Tubing, Polar golf and Penguins. They were all very fun and my mom helped me with the Penguins game, we actually beat it! That game wasn’t the only thing my mom helped me with, on my DS, she helped me get past Lego Indiana Jones, but some kid deleted it a few years after. On the laptop I played FATE the most, which was an RPG (Role Playing Game) that had you fight mystical creatures in countless dungeons full of traps and loot. My parent thought it was too violent for my age so they took it away until I got older. That Christmas, our family invested in a Nintendo Wii, which seemed to be the best tech you could get with the motion sensors and such. Me and my sister played Mario Kart for a while and also played Wii Sports. In Wii sports I most enjoyed boxing, at first I wasn’t very good at it, but I became better over time, my ratings today for boxing are literally of the charts. In Mario Kart, I mastered all the grand prix’s in the game and got almost every character, but my sister is just as good as me.
In 2009, I continued to get computer games and play them a lot. I still played Poptropica and the Wii, but by this time I was most interested in computer gaming, but I wasn’t old enough to play some of the games they offered. I went back to playing my DS, which I also got some new games for. My mom didn’t help or play games as much anymore like she used to, my sister, who was a big part of my gaming, was also starting to fade away into things like music and drama. On top of that, we had school to attend, so there wasn’t much time for me and my sister. I always found a way to squeeze in some game time now and then. In 2010 and 2011 is when the old spark found its way back into the family when we got a new Wii game, Wii Fit Plus. It didn’t seem fun at first, but it got everyone playing, even my dog Toby. I didn’t play my DS as much anymore, but I still had a blast on the web, my parents gave me my FATE game back which I enjoyed very much. I was back in the business, so to say. My sister was still not participating as much, I loved my sister and I wanted to have fun with her, to share the great moments with her, but it didn’t seem to work, especially when she got her IPod, I felt like I lost a friend.
In 2012 a handheld console called the Nintendo 3DS came out, I had to have it. I save dup my money, but came up short when we went to get it from the store on my birthday. My parents knew I worked hard and paid for half of it. I was extremely happy and I loved my 3DS very much. I got many games for it and had endless laughter and joy. I didn’t play the computer as much that year, I forgot all about Poptropica and played my 3DS a lot. 
In 2013, when I was 10, my friend recommended a online game for me, so I made an account and I was hooked. I played it nonstop while also playing my 3DS. I leveled up and progressed in the game and I enjoyed myself very much. It turns out my friend also played it, so I and he shared many victories and faults as we slayed monsters and purged fortresses of evil looting out the joint.
In 2014, this year, I have continued to play all the many games that I have enjoyed, I am waiting to sell or give away my DS, I’ve started to play Poptropica again as well as the computer. I love games, they make me feel like I’m in a place where I can be accepted for who I am and be able to solve problems of my own with solutions of my own. Games are fun, family is fun, loss is sad, but in all, life is fun and games have helped my realize this. This why games are a chapter in my life.

Re: gamer: a memoir
new

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:29 pm

very good although being the grammar nazi that i am, i did notice a few errors that i would like to point out.

1) I save dup  this should say " i saved up..."

2)"so I and he..." this should say "he and i..." always put the other person first

3)"This why games are a chapter in my life." this is not really a grammar issue but it caught my eye. you could say "this is why games are a big chapter in my life."

i don't wish to criticize your writing but i belive knowing your mistakes makes you a better writer. it does sound wonderful, but there is no such thing as a perfect writer/promt. please take my thoughts into consideration.

thank you for your time,

G.K.

[ 2 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team