Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 11 posts ] Average score:  
 HELP COUSIN PROBLEMS
contributor

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Warning: This is a bratty post.

I'm supposed to go shopping with my cousin next week but ugh she is so superficial and we have practically nothing in common. She thinks I'm a nerd and I'm pretty sure she laughs at me with her friends all the time. I admit that I've done my share of ridiculing her to my friends.

SHE IS SO INFURIATING THO

Also we have dif fashion styles and I admit her fashion sense is like 100% better than mine and I'm scared that she's going to laugh at all the stuff I point out.

HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED IN THIS DIRE SITUATION.

My only solace is that she's heading back to North Carolina in like 5 days so even if it turns out to be a horrible day (which it probably will), we can part with forced smiles and rant to our friends and I'll get some inspiration for a story about cousins who don't get along.

Re: HELP COUSIN PROBLEMS
new

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

//@dorkqueen; Hmmm.... I already see some similarities between the two of you. For one thing, it's not good that both of you ridicule/rant to your friends over each other. Then, again, I hope you write that story over on the STACKS Fan Fiction board, for that Board really needs new posts and I have 0% muse at the moment to even make anymore roleplays and threads, for I'm out of ideas. Try to bond over something. Try to see if you have similar music tastes, or if you despise something and bond over that. Despite the cheesiness in //bonding// over whatever you hate, it actually can make someone more toleratable. Try to be the better person and not rant/ridicule her. If she's younger, analyze her personality or look up her Zodiac sign and/or Zodiac chart and see how exactly she works, for it may benefit you. Or you could find out which electives or hobbies you have that are similar. So, what if she thinks you're a nerd???? Why should you care about what she thinks? Nerds will eventually rule the world by creating new computers, internet devices and being CEO's of internet type countries. Nerds rule. Embrace her into your type of taste and if she doesn't like it; tough luck. So, what if she's superficial? She's your cousin; so, at least try to deal with her. //And I would suggest using my fashion advice and tricks when you next meet your cousin and see what she says. If she's pleased; you're welcome. If she has a bratty fit; who cares. It's her loss. And please don't tell her or give her any of my tricks. She's superficial; so, she doesn't need them, nor deserve them really.// //

-*Zirconia

contributor

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:04 am

I can't help you since all my cousins are in or out of college, or parents of kids who are 1-7 years old. But I feel you. I feel like most of my family besides my parents and grandparents on my mom's side and my two cousins think I'm weird bc I'm v socially awkward with adults or younger children. So. Yeah.

regular_contributor

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

GOoooooooo for shopping with your cousin then come back and give me your story to read! 

Also weren't you the one saying how much you love shopping back the other day? I MEAN IF YOU REALLY LOVE IT THEN YOU SHOULD LOVE IT COUSIN OR NOT YOUR LOVE FOR SHOPPING IS CHALLENGED AND YOU OUGHT TO PROVE YOURSELF A WORTHY LOVER OF SHOPPING RIGHT NOW. MARCH INTO BATTLE AND WALK AWAY FROM EXPLOSIONS WITH YOUR SHADES GLOWING EVEN THO THE SOURCE OF LIGHT IS LIKE, BEHIND YOU. DON'T LET YOUR COUSIN GET BETWEEN YOU AND SHOPPING. FIGHT. AND WIN!

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiight I think that's all. I have no cousins or friends to go shopping with (I mean i have both but we never go shopping together), but! my sister is 13 and she's way more fashionable than I was her age or than I am right now (and I'm 17). She loves going shopping and she has a way more girlish/fashionable/fancy taste than me and basically, if we ever went shopping together it'd be every awkward and ugh I don't know... but at least we live in the same house so I steal he clothes when I want to dress nice and she steals all the nice clothes I own.

Ok I don't know what this part was about but I guess you're not the only one, Lestria.

ALSO: you feel self-consious because she thinks you're a nerd? well way to go, dorkqueen. I MEAN DIDN'T YOU SAY THE OTHER DAY THAT BEING A DORK (or a nerd for that matter) IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING AND HTAT IT'S JUST A LABEL PEOPLE GIVE OTHERS WHO WANT TO LEARN (????) I MEAN IF YOU'RE PROUD TO BE A DORK THEN YOU SHALL PROVE IT BY NOT LETTING YOUR COUSIN GET TO YOU! Ugh kids those days *eyeroll*

Anyway I hope she's gone by now and that you have an amazing rest of your shopping life! I don't really have anything to say more other than... maybe looking at clothes from her perspective and consider buying what she likes for yourself will help you refresh your wardrobe and get to step on her shoes (lol i'm so funny)? I mean you don't have to get along but if you do like her taste in clothes then just wear your Saint's Patience armour and enjoy the ride? Idek I just hope it works well...

new

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Don't worry about being bratty! When I am raving, I turn evil! I know exactly how you feel! My ex-bff was like that. I am a nerd too... and I understand how peoples clothes and fahion senses look better than yours even though you try hard. (I'm basing tis on me) But wehave somthing more poewerful than looks-- we have knowledge! To people like her (basing her on my ex-bff) they undrestemate intellect and acting like YOU. She is probably scared in this cold, cold world and fashion and popularity andbratiness is pobably just something to gt everybody's attention. About the laughing thing... I wear baggy tees and stripes. None of my clothes hug my body better than my own grannie! If she laughs, give her a talking to and tell her how you feel. Remember, talk smartly. Being a ner is NOT a bad thing! Also remind her that yor going to wear the cothes you pick out and not her. You can wear what ever you what. She's the one that lives the sad life of following trends that change daily and pretends to be someone she isn't, just to get friends. Have fun and remeber to smile

new

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:58 pm

There is got to be something u have in common!!! Find it out and talk about it. Also, i suggest bringing up a funny time that happened to your family or hers, or even when u guys were together. That should get u guys laughing, talking, and relaxing about being with her a bit. Any other questions?

regular_contributor

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 am

I live in North Carolina! Even if I know it's such a large place, I can't help but wonder if I know her!

Buuut I guess I kind of understand. There's two generations of kids in my family: the ones near my age, so finishing up high school or somewhat fresh out of it, and then there are the little ones that are either starting middle school or still in elem. Luckily for me, I've known my cousins forever, so I can sort of get along with them. My only female cousin (well, the only one close in age to me) and I get along pretty well, even if we're nothing alike. She's all tall and graceful and popular and really into shopping and make-up and has tons of boyfriend (not all at once!) and cool. I'm just kind of...awkward and nerdy. But she and I get along pretty well, bonding over the fact that in our generation, we're the only females—and born in July. (There's about five guys, both older and younger, so they all pretty much picked on us a lot, at least until we learned to fight back—physically.)

But there has to be something in common. Perhaps a film or a piece of clothing or song or a book or something. Try to think back on it, or perhaps ask one of your parents about her. Or just learn a little about her and talk about what she wants, and perhaps try to find a way that it connects to you. Just do a little research and I'm sure you'll be fine. And so what if what you like is not up to her taste? It's YOUR style, not hers. If she doesn't like it, shrug it off. You know she makes fun of you, and you make fun of her, so there's really no reason to get sad about it. Just roll your eyes and get on with your life.

new

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:23 pm

//@alywrites; This may be a rather odd reply. Your sign is either Cancer or Leo. Which one is it? //I'm also sorry for mentioning the word Cancer.// You did give good advice though.//

-*Zirconia

contributor

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 am

Hey everyone. Update: Huh, it wasn't too bad. We talked a lot about school/grades, which is a dull topic, but at least it was conversation. When we did the actual shopping, we wandered away from each other, but it wasn't rude. It was more like, we both accepted beforehand that we didn't have the same style and it would be best if we gave each other some space. But we actually have pretty similar fashion tastes, and we even got the same dress from Forever 21. :) Also we had good food- and good food is essential to a good time, so yay.

new

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Don't sweat it. She's mean, your not. You can still have fun with people that are
not you BFF. i used to have a friend like that, and I ust ignored the mean stuff and added to the nice stuff, and if you REALLY don't want to see tell your mom you REALLY don't want to see her, and then you make up a excuse why you can't come and call your cousin.

I've done this a couple times. It 90% always works.

regular_contributor

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 pm

@darkrising: I am a Leo. My cousin is a Cancer. And no worries. I mean, I don't know why you would need to apologize for the word "cancer"? Anyway, thanks! (:

[ 11 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team