General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 21 posts ] Average score:  
 Help Me. Writers block

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 pm
Well I sit in my room thinking of a topic that I can write on mainly humor stories but, I can never come up with something to write on. So please put either short srory topics of any genre or ideas to help me come up with topics.

Re: Help Me. Writers block
writeit_panelist

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:56 am
Ooooooh, do I ever know what you mean. Writer's block can be such a pain! Especially when you can't even decide on what to start a story about.

This is probably cliche by now, but we're often the best at writing what we know. The first suggestion that came to my mind after reading your post was this: try writing a story about a high school student who's been hired to write a humor column, but is having difficulty because what (s)he sees as funny is simply strange to the readers. Or a struggling stand-up comic who mostly sees humor in everyday life, and thinks it's cheesy to write and script a "funny" performance.
You can think back to a moment in your life that has just never left your memory, and elaborate that into a story. Don't be afraid to change certain facts, omit things, and/or embellish the truth: it's story-telling, after all. Who knows, an adapted version of your struggles to find your pet who ran away when you were in the third grade might become the next bestseller. (See, there I go --- that happened to me!)
Every story needs a character and something that they do (or something that happens to them.) You need a beginning (setup), middle (conflict), and end (resolution). Toy around with as many ideas as you like, within these boundaries, until one strikes you as something that you can really work with.
Post again if you'd like more detailed breakdowns about story structure, and I hope you're inspired soon!

visitor

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:48 am
well maybe u can write about your noodles falling on the floor, a bird and u fighting over food, e.t.c. just tryna help u find an idea. bye

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:16 pm
Once at a parade thingy mabober, i fought my friends little brother for peanuts, and i dove on the ground for candy.

also this one time at a b-ball game my friend yelled "BOOM SHAKA LAKA LAKA!" when our team made a three pointer, the cheerleaders echoed, "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!"
and my friend and I just burst out laughing.

those are examples i could use, just think of some funny experiences in your life and write about them.
does that help?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:09 pm
If you like writing humor, you can find alot of funny things to write about by thinking about times when you were embarrased or did something stupid. People can relate to this kind of thing, because they know what it feels like.
Also, read books that make YOU laugh. You can write about these same kinds of things. Reading will give you a lot of good ideas. Most writers are excellent readers and they read a lot. Reading gives a writer creative ideas, and can get those juices flowing onto your paper.
Try taking common nursery rhymes, and changing them into humorous rhymes. I think you will find that a lot of fun. You can do this with songs, too.
A small peice of advice: when writing humor, be careful not to offend anyone, or hurt their feelings. Never use a person's name without permission, or put other people down with your humor. That's not funny.

regular_visitor

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:02 pm
I have suggested this to another person, but write about your opinions. Maybe to make them more humorous, you could blow them up into a large scale, with everything exaggerated. I'm not sure this will work, but I'm just trying to help. Hope it works:)

visitor

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:55 pm
For many writers the worst part of the writing experience is the very beginning, when they're sitting at the kitchen table staring at a blank sheet of paper or in front of that unblinking and perfectly empty computer monitor. "I have nothing to say," is the only thing that comes to mind. "I am XX years old and I have done nothing, discovered nothing, been nothing, and there are absolutely no thoughts in my head that anyone would ever want to read about." This is the Censor in your brain, your Self-Critic, and sometimes that Censor is bigger than you are. Who knows what causes the ugly Censor to be there — a bad experience in third grade? something your mother said once during potty-training? — it doesn't matter. The Censor is there for all of us, building and rebuilding this thing called Writer's Block, one of the Censor's many self-limiting toys. It might be some comfort to know that even professional writers suffer from Writer's Block from time to time. Some of the greatest writers in literature — Leo Tolstoy, Virginia Woolf, Katherine Mansfield, Joseph Conrad, Ernest Hemingway — were tormented by momentary lapses in their ability to produce text — although you wouldn't think it possible if you've ever tried to pick up War and Peace with one hand.

American poet William Stafford offers this advice to poets who suffer from Writer's Block: "There is no such thing as writer's block for writers whose standards are low enough." This sounds terrible at first. "What? I'm supposed to write junk? I need a good grade! I'm better than that!" No, Stafford is not encouraging writers to produce garbage. He is suggesting, however, that it's easy to take yourself too seriously, to think you're going to write a poem or an essay that is going to be the greatest poem or essay ever written, that you're going to formulate the greatest, loveliest, most intelligent statement ever made. So you sit there, thinking how unworthy you are, cursing the day you were born, wondering why you ever went to college, hating the very act of writing that has you so stymied. A writer has to let that go, forget about judgment. Go ahead and write drivel at first, as long as you write. Out of your nonsense and ramblings, however, believe that something good will come, some idea will catch fire right there on the page, there will be sparks, patterns will emerge. Be willing to throw stuff out. It's all right. Do you think Shakespeare didn't litter his kitchen floor with balled-up pieces of paper? One nice thing about the word-processor is that you're not wasting paper and trees; you're just exercising the delete key. But this is no time to worry about the environment. Fill that wastebasket with paper and trust that something will come of all this scribbling. It will.

Carry with you a pocket-sized notebook in which you can scribble ideas for writing as they come to you. How often have you been stopped at a red-light and a great idea has come into your head? It's so wonderful that you know you'll remember it when you get home, but when you sit down at the table, pen in hand, all you remember is the fact that you had a good idea an hour ago. Part of the writing experience is learning that good ideas do not always come to us when we need them. We must learn to catch ideas as they come to us, fortuitously, even as we're about to fall asleep at night.

People who tell you that physical exercise is important for mental activity are telling the truth. If nothing's happening on the computer screen or paper, take a walk around the block. Hit the treadmill or tennis courts or drive to the gym. But take your notebook with you. Fresh blood will be flowing through your brain and jogging might just jog something loose in your head. It happens.

Another trick is to start in the middle of your writing project. Avoid that problem of getting started by starting on a part of the project that interests you more and then come back to the introductory matter later. This sounds a bit like starting to earn your second million dollars before you've earned your first, but it's really not a bad idea in any case, because sometimes it's easier to say where you're going after you know where you've been. After all, your readers will never know you wrote the introduction last (another joy of word-processing technology!). One final maneuver around the old Writer's Block: talk over your paper with a friend, or just blab away into a tape recorder (even better). Play the tape back and write down what you hear in clusters of ideas or freewrite about them.

So in conclusion, it doesn't matter if you have writer's block. If you have trouble with the beginning, leave that aside and write the part of the story that you don't have trouble with. I have writer's block myself, so you are not alone. It is true, writer's block or cramp, as it is sometimes called, can be a hassle, but remember, you are not alone.

Sun May 21, 2006 4:45 pm
Homour is one of the hardest things too write because everyone laughs at different things. What you think is hysterical may make someone else yawn.

The only way you can possibly write funny things is if you're yourself.

I like too always carry a small, pocket sized note book around and write down things through out the day. I jot down things like, what makes me angry, what worries me, what frightens me, or just random thoughts. Sometimes these things I write down help me make up characters and even stories!
Here are three nifty exercises to get you started:
• Divide a sheet of paper into three columns. In the first, write down things that worry you. In the second, things that make you angry. In the third, things that frighten you.
• Make a list of all your negative personality traits. Self-effacing humor is always safe territory because if you laugh at yourself, others will feel comfortable laughing at you too. If you're ugly, talk about it! Think of yourself as a safe venue for mocking the ugly, since you're really just making fun of yourself.
• Make a list of things that are unique about you, both inner and outer. Are you extremely short? Do you have a strange eating habit? An unnatural fear of staplers maybe? Anything you can think of, really.

Don't get discouraged if you can't write something down right away. Writing is one of the hardest things too master, but it’s quite rewarding.

regular_visitor

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:24 pm
I used to get a lot of writers block but what really helped was the cube shaped edition of "The Writer's Block" I bought at the local bookstore. This book is jam packed with ideas and tips for writing.
But in the meantime try writing about topics that are frequently messed up like stories about time machines, fantasy/scifi that takes place in our world (like Harry Potter),monster horror/scifi, and dinosaurs.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:05 pm
I don't know if other people...
already said this...
but....
sit down...
pull out a blank sheet of paper...
set a timer for five minutes...
(i know that seems like a long time)
and...write...about anything...
U can even just write your name 100 times...
but I assure you...that by the time...
those five minutes are up...
you'll have a topic...
(I tried it...it really works...
one of my writing teachers...
made us start...
every creative story...
with this "free writing"...
and...it REALLY helped...)

Message Edited by _Today4U_ on 07-27-2006 02:05 PM

regular_visitor

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:57 pm
My teacher said that when she couldn't think about what to write she wrote about how she didin't know what to write about and she got a idea.

Message Edited by _bookworm97_ on 08-23-2006 05:58 PM

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:36 pm
write a humor you hear today

regular_visitor

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:51 am
Think of other books and try retelling them in a funny way

contributor

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 am

Diona_AuthorPanel wrote:
Ooooooh, do I ever know what you mean. Writer's block can be such a pain! Especially when you can't even decide on what to start a story about.

This is probably cliche by now, but we're often the best at writing what we know. The first suggestion that came to my mind after reading your post was this: try writing a story about a high school student who's been hired to write a humor column, but is having difficulty because what (s)he sees as funny is simply strange to the readers. Or a struggling stand-up comic who mostly sees humor in everyday life, and thinks it's cheesy to write and script a "funny" performance.
You can think back to a moment in your life that has just never left your memory, and elaborate that into a story. Don't be afraid to change certain facts, omit things, and/or embellish the truth: it's story-telling, after all. Who knows, an adapted version of your struggles to find your pet who ran away when you were in the third grade might become the next bestseller. (See, there I go --- that happened to me!)
Every story needs a character and something that they do (or something that happens to them.) You need a beginning (setup), middle (conflict), and end (resolution). Toy around with as many ideas as you like, within these boundaries, until one strikes you as something that you can really work with.
Post again if you'd like more detailed breakdowns about story structure, and I hope you're inspired soon!

nice!!!!!!!!!!!

bookmaster94
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:15 pm
Wow 2006

new

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm
a good topic will be fiction comedy maybe like stand up a funny time you had and BTW i am a boy

new

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:23 pm
what helps me in a writers block is you should read other books and find inspiration. bye.

new

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 pm
Hi, I know what you are going through. so far this year I have been doing a lot of essays and power points. I really don't have any topics for you but I can tell you one thing use president and have a lot of details. it will make you sound really smart.

[ 21 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team