General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 9 posts ] Average score:  
 help
contributor

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:48 pm
how do you write a script???

bookmaster94
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Re: help
visitor

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:47 pm
I don't know!

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 11-29-2006 11:13 AM

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:44 pm
all you have to do its like writing a book so just type it
bye
screen name
20jord20

visitor

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:36 pm
its easy mate

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:03 am
its easy.

visitor

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:14 pm
It's like this...

Martha: Hi Owen
(Owen walks over to Martha)
Owen: (friendly) Hello. What's up?

Like what you see in a play. The () describe the actions and the characters lines follow thier name.

writeit_panelist

Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 pm
Hey Bookmaster94!

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as some writers think it is to write a script well. For one thing, there are different formats for different types of scripts. The screenplays for a TV sitcom episode, a feature film, and a 30-second commercial will all share the same basic characteristics, but have small differences in format and style; and I've even been warned that some industry people, because they're so busy (and picky) and have so many other scripts to go through, will toss yours in the trash if your formatting isn't what they expected!
Ouch.
So to avoid that kind of heartache, first pin down the type of script that you're looking to write. Try to get your hands on an example of that type of script, so you know the formatting that will be expected of you. If you're developing an entirely new story or series with its own set of characters (I recommend it, it's tons of fun), spend a lot of time first developing their personalities and their backstories, or their personal histories, just as you should for characters in a book. Don't let writer's block or other types of frustrating get you down -- take a day or two off if you need to, but try to keep writing even if it's hard, reminding yourself that you can always go back and edit it to death later. And finally, give yourself LOTS of time to edit. Ask others to help you with this. You don't want to put too much or too little direction into a script (directors hate being told how to do their jobs), so read it over with a razor eye to see if a narrative/directive line like "Sandra reaches slowly for the phone" could be changed to "Sandra reaches for the phone."
That's a lot of advice to throw at you; if at all possible, read Syd Field and you'll be writing masterpieces in no time.
I posted a couple of scenes from one of my own scripts as examples last year, but I seem to be having trouble finding them now. If I locate them, I'll try and let you know in case you want to have a look. If anyone else knows there they are . . . wanna help me out? I thought I put them on the General boards. :oS (The main characters are named Tyra, Kaya, and Luke, if that helps!)

Later,
Diona

frequent_vsitor

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 pm
It has to express the
Like this
(A man walks into a dim room and looks around)
(he is met by a little girl who smiles and runs over to him)
Girl:Da!
Man: Shavonne! Hows mi girl?(the man hugs the little girl, who’s name is Shavonne)
Girl: Lily lost her favorite book. Im helping her look.
Man: Lily lost her favorite book? Did you look in her room?
Shavonne: Yeah, it wasnt there.
(a silver haired old woman walks into the room,the grandmother of the girl, mother of the man her name is Iris)
Iris: Hello dear. (Iris, goes over to havonne and puts her arm around her. But as she does the long single braid composed of all her shiny hair swings off her shoulder onto her back.)
Man: Hello mam. (He walks over and hugs his mother)
Shavonne: How was you trip da?
Man; Long.
Iris: Shavonne, let your dad rest he just got back.

Like that.

Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 am
I think your right cause some people think it's easy but it's not. Trust me I know. I had to write a story about what i want to be when I grow up and how would my mom and dad feel about it. That was kind of hard. That was a good point you made.

[ 9 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team