General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 7 posts ] Average score:  

Who are the two best from the hunger games?
Rue 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Cato 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Peeta 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Katniss 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Clove 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Fox face 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Glimmer 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Thresh 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28
 I need names!
new

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm
I am Kaia. I am very fond of writing stories with my friend, Lindsay. Please give me some names to put in my stories. Thanks!!

Re: I need names!

Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 am
Def. not responding to that poll... But names, I may certianly help you with. I'd find names that could connect to your story somehow: like how some of the names in the PJ series match up to their character roles or to Greek myths (Castor and Pollux were actually twins in Greek myths...), or how (has anyone ever noticed this?) many Pokemon names are clever puns on the shape of the Pokemon itself. you could also head to baby names and find your favorites. Me, personally, I perfer to read mangas and pick out the names of my favorite characters, or simply my favorite names. Some of them are: Ai, Akai, James, Conan, Sera, Okiya, Sonoko, Makoto, Heiji, Kazuha... Sena, Hiruma, Musashi, Raimon (call him Monta: if you get the reference, I love you until next Tuesday), Juumonji... Train, Saya, Sven, Eve, Rinslet, Jenos, Sephira, Belze, Creed, Charden, Kyoko, Leon, Durham... Kakeru, Suguru, Ryuuchi, Makoto (Mako), Oda, Kaoru, Iwaki... Technically, I could keep going. If you want the character genders/ personalities/ manga of origin, don't hesitate to ask, okay? Be warned, however: all of the mangas listed above are 14+ or 17+ due to, but not limited to, blood, violence, and language. I do not recommend these as light reads, especially not the first group, as it's at chapter 818 online, episode 600 something, has 16 movies out, still ongoing, and has 40 or more comics out in America at $10 a pop without tax; sucking away effectively 4 years of my life. And all the names and jokes aren't translated properly into english. Phooey.

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 pm
So cool you have a friend to write with! With names I'd look at what kind of character in what kind of society. Writing about modern day U.S. of America pretty much everything goes, but you can definitely create a flavor to the family (or real/imaginary country) by taking names for different cultures. I like William, Christopher, Adin (many, many different ways to spell that one), Julian, Deric, Dominic, Amelia, Anastasia, Aurora, Cathrine, and anything with an -ette on the end for girls for sophisticated or midevil (think I spelled that wrong), and that's all I got 'cause that's all I write. But sometimes I just squish letters together until it sounds right. Have fun with your friend!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 pm
Were our lists satisfying? Or should we try for an extra two points? 'Cuz we probably have many more where those came from... (Or at least I do.) Honestly, if names bother you that much, then give them something plain and normal, like John or Jane. (I suppose you could also have John and Jade, but as all Homestucks ywould tell you, that's just nasty... or HUGELY canon. Or just stick with John Doe and his sister Jane.) Then simply change them to something more fun.

new

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm
Hm. Try finding variants of names in books, maybe. Or make names up.

contributor

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:46 pm
The Celts have the most undersung mythology of all, so if you take a few names from there, most people won't notice if it's not from King Arthur. Morrigan, Aoife, Samhain, and Tethra are all names of Celtic deities.

When using made-up names, be very careful. I have a few rules. First, don't use more than three vowels or consonants in a row. Since "Y" is a vowel in the absence of another, "Ryv" follows this rule. Second, don't have more than three characters whose names start with the same letter. "A" is a common starting letter, but don't let it get out of hand. Third, give major characters the easiest-to-pronounce names. You can take more creative liberty with the minor characters.

If you're not working with humans, and it's in an alternate world where countries are similar to our own, try using names that are words in the language spoken there. For example, in a book I'm writing, the main characters are anthro animals in Ireland, so their names are Irish words. That comes into play again with the pronunciation. A main character whose name is an Irish word should be something simple, like Scornach, where you can tell how it's pronounced at the first look. Save names like Breitheamh for very minor characters.

- Chimera

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:57 am
(Ahhhh what have I done?! I just paired John and Jane! NAOOOW that's like pairing Rose and Roxy.... You simp--- oh, wait, everyone does that. Whoops.) I hope we've satisfied your request; but considering that you haven't said a word in edge-wise, Platina (it's your new nickname, platinumgorilla!), I suppose we haven't... so I suppose I'll list some more! Dia, Dave, Dirk, Rose, Roxy, Jade, Aradia... Oh. Duh. Jack, Yusei, Leo, Carly, Luna... Hmmm... Oh! Tamaki, Haruhi, Hikaru, Mori, Kyoya, Renge... Geez, where there no other recurring characters in OHSHC?... I suppose you could also make themed code names for the pro/antagonists, or both: the Black Organization in Detective Conan use alcohol names as code names, and some of the bad guys in Homestuck use playing cards. Just a thought-- not the alcohol, or reading either series, but the code names. Perhaps... cooking utensils? Sewing impliments? Flowers? Weather patterns? Trees? --No, scratch that last one, Pokemon already did that. Oak, Elm, Birch, Juniper... Rowan missed that memo, I see... *stink-eyes Rowan*

[ 7 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team