General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 11 posts ] Average score:  
 Impossible Brain Teasers :)
visitor

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 am
The Answers are at the bottom don't cheat! If you can't get it skip it then once you've TRIED all of them look at the answers. Reply and tell me how many you go right or wrong. :)

1. You have a fox, a chicken and a sack of grain. You must cross a river with only one of them at a time. If you leave the fox with the chicken he will eat it; if you leave the chicken with the grain he will eat it. How can you get all three across safely?

2.You have 12 black socks and 12 white socks mixed up in a drawer. It's early in the morning and you don't have any light to see the colors. How many socks must you pull out (blindly) to be sure of getting a matching pair?

3.You are the bus driver. At your first stop, you pick up 29 people. On your second stop, 18 of those 29 people get off, and at the same time 10 new passengers arrive. At your next stop, 3 of those 10 passengers get off, and 13 new passengers come on. On your fourth stop 4 of the remaining 10 passengers get off, 6 of those new 13 passengers get off as well, then 17 new passengers get on. What is the color of the bus driver's eyes?

4.A completely black dog was strolling down Main Street during a total blackout affecting the entire town. Not a single streetlight had been on for hours. Just as the dog was crossing the middle line a Buick Skylark with 2 broken headlights speedily approaches his position, but manages to swerve out of the way just in time. How could the driver have possibly seen the dog to swerve in time?

5.In a small cabin in the woods, two men lay dead. The cabin itself is not burned, but the forest all around is burned to cinders. How did the men die?

Answers:
1. Take the chicken over first. Go back and bring the grain next, but instead of leaving the chicken with the grain, come back with the chicken. Leave the chicken on the first side and take the fox with you. Leave it on the other side with the grain. Finally, go back over and get the chicken and bring it over.

2. 3 socks. If the first sock is black, the second one could be black, in which case you have a matching pair. If the second sock is white, the third sock will be either black and match the first sock, or white and match the second sock.

3. The eye color of the reader of this problem (You). The first sentence is the key: "You are the bus driver"

4.It was during the day

5.It's the cabin of a plane and the plane crashed.

Hope you guys had fun with this :)

Re: Impossible Brain Teasers :)
frequent_vsitor

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:06 am
I know I've done one of these on Poptropica and in Enrichment. My friend told me another one awhile back.

1. You bring the chicken across first, then take the fox, then take the chicken back and exchange it for the grain, then when the grain is on the other side with the fox, bring the chicken.

3. For me, brown.

I got two right and two I couldn't figure out. Please don't nag me for saying the answers. I notice when you give the answers to posts like these, the poster nags you for giving the answers even though they asked you to figure them out. It's such a drag!

"It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do."
                                                                                          - Lightning

Sun May 15, 2011 5:59 pm
Well... You got the first one off of Poptropica and i got bored so i didn't read the rest...

rookie_visitor

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 am

it totally cinfused me till i just gave up

regular_visitor

Fri May 04, 2012 9:59 pm
1. the fox,the grain and finally the chicken 3. dark brown 4. the day time

new

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 pm
Those are some fun riddles. I only got two right. :(

new

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm
I got 1, 2, &3 right

frequent_vsitor

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 pm
I got 1,2, and 4 right :) ~Ella

new

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:56 pm
I only got the first one right and that is cuz I had to do it at school before!

new

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:27 am
Wow ! I Got 1,3,&4 Correct! I didnt think i could get at least three when i read and answered them!:0

new

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 pm
1) you take the chicken then fox take chicken back take sack of grain, take chicken. (my mom has quized me on ones like that for years.) 2) 3 one white black black, black white white, white white black, black black white. 3) brown you are the bus driver (my eyes are brown). 4) When there is a black-out there is usually lots of sun and the heat makes a black-out, the driver saw him in the sun. Plus it was probably daytime to see the sun anyway. 5) I dunno.

[ 11 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team