Fan Fiction

Announcements

Welcome everyone! My name is Brian and I'm moderating the boards. Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
- Please read my FAQ’s post.
- If you still have a question, feel free to ask me here.

I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place to get excited about HP!
   [ 55 posts ] Average score:  
 Inappropriate Language
visitor

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:17 pm
Hi Guys,

Just a reminder that you are not allowed to use inappropriate language, even if it's written in fan fiction. I've recently needed to edit a few posts that were using language that isn't appropriate for The Stacks, so please be mindful of what you write.

That being said, I love reading all of your Fan Fiction! You guys are amazing writers! So keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more.

-Moderator Brian

Re: Inappropriate Language
frequent_contributor

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 pm
Eheheheh... Thanks for the reminder, I haven't posted any fanfiction lately, but in my originial writings my characters can sometimes have a "colorful" vocabularly, so I'll make sure that my mind doesn't slip when I'm posting my new stories!

Twinktoes87

~Proud Supporter of the Rainbow~

Copy and paste this if you support the LGBT community and their rights

regular_contributor

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:05 pm
Alright, Brian! Thanks for the reminder (sometimes I do catch myself ready to... express myself through fanfiction) XD

contributor

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:06 pm
Oh, so you're our new Moderator! Sorry, I haven't been on in a while, and (no offense intended) usually our mods usernames are something like _moderator_katie_ or something. But, now that I know who you are, nice to meet you! -Maddie

regular_contributor

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 pm
sure thing, Brian!! I probably won't do that, but here's the thing: what if EVERYTHING besides the language is appropriate but a 10 on the confusing meter? How do you make something appropriate but easy for someone else to understand? I mean, come on. Do you want to read something that's appropriate but a 10 on the confusing meter? I don't think so. I know I wouldn't. How do you deal w/ that? Any ideas? I got nada. (btw, nada is Spaish for nothing, zip, zero, zilch, etc.) in case you didn't take Spanish class or whatever.

visitor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm
Hi Technologygirl,

This post was mostly referring to a few stories I had seen that contained words that weren't appropriate for The Stacks. I haven't had an issue with people using inappropriate language on the other Boards, so I just wanted to remind everyone that Fan Fiction still needs to follow the same rules. So I don't think you need to worry about your story becoming too confusing, because I'm sure there is a way to say what you want, without using certain words that are not allowed.

Thanks
-Moderator Brian

new

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm
is dung a bad word? like in dung-bombs? because we americans use some other words besides "dung"

regular_contributor

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:23 pm

@Brian: I know that it's for ppl that DO use that kind of language and all that, but I'm just wondering if ANYONE has any ideas how I can make my story appropriate but not a snoozefest or a 10 on the confusing meter. Can you give some examples on how to do that? I could use some.

new

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 am
Hey Brian(again!), just having a question about this inappropriate lang. My fanfiction based on The Mortal Instruments can have a little bit of ''creative''(he he ha ha) lang( Ha ha!) so it okay???

visitor

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 pm
Hi Witchunicorn5,

Try to keep questionable language out the story if you can. If you have anything that crosses the line, I'll edit it out and let you know not to use those words again.

Thanks,
-Moderator Brian

frequent_vsitor

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:41 am
Hiya, Mod Brian!
Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes my characters need to watch their mouths. Can you let me know which of the following words are not okay?
-Shoot
-Darn/Dang
-Stupid
-Idiot
-Shut up
-Loser
-Jerk
thanks a million!
-Ollie

visitor

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:30 pm
Hi Shybird3,

There was only one word that you couldn't use. I can't post the word, but it was the first one on the list. The rest of these words are ok, if you're using them within a story. Obviously, you can't use these words directed at another Stacker or their opinions.

However, there might be a case where I think that someone is using these words in a way that's wrong. If I see someone using language I don't like in fan-fiction or in a way I don't like, I just edit it out and then approve the edited post. I understand there's a blurry line when it comes to writing fan-fiction and the use of some of these words. That's why I'll edit fan-fiction instead of immediately disapproving it.

Thanks,
-Moderator Brian

regular_contributor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:18 am
Brian, are you allowed to use phrases like what the heck, you've got to be kidding, for pete's sake, and other phrases, like, say for instance, for the love of pete? Oh, and I think you are allowed to use the word crud, when you're describing a bad situation like "oh, crud", right? I think so. Also, how are you supposed to make something appropriate but NOT a 10 on the baffling meter? You didn't answer that. I still need examples so I can make something appropriate but not weird.

regular_contributor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 am

@technologygirl: I may be able to answer it.

Euphemisms! They are the "nicer" cousins of naughty words. Then sometimes you need euphemisms of euphemisms. For instance, crud would be a second degree euphemism. It stands for one word that isn't necessarily appropriate, and that word stands for an actual swear word.

Another way you can do it is to say simply, "They swore" and you can describe it with like "colorfully" or "vehemently" to make it lesser or greater than simple swearing.

Hope this helps!

~Lauren

visitor

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 pm
Hi Guys,

This is tough because I can't post the words you cannot use, because that would defeat the purpose of telling you not to use them. Some people have asked about certain words relating to the afterlife, where bad people go, (I hope that's clear enough). But I've been editing those words out, so please don't use them.

Also, there is a more harsh word that you can use in the phrase "That sticks." Please don't use that as well, I've been editing that out of posts.

Thanks
-Moderator Brian

regular_contributor

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:35 am
theaterchick: that answers the appropriate part but not the baffling part. Do you have any ideas on how to make something appropriate but not WEIRD? I don't.

regular_contributor

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 pm

To make something appropriate, but not weird...um...let's see. What you can try is finding a word that is totally innocuous but a normal word so that they can say that. (For instance, I once used the word 'gall'--meaning nerve--to stand in for OMG and Oh my gosh, because it was different, but still started with the same letter).

So you can try...

Cram instead of crud...things like that. Hopefully that helps.

Basically, the word should have a negative connotation so people know it's being used as an exclamation. So think of negative words (but not words that people use to hurt other people) in the stead of other words. Like...traffic jam, snip (like a wrong snip when it comes to a hair cut), shears, smack, snap, what on earth?, what the hey?, etc., etc.

Hope this helps answer the appropriate question. If not, I'll be back. Sorry this didn't come out in a neatly packaged, short reply. It's kind of complicated.

~Lauren

new

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:08 pm
Hey Brian(again and again!)!!! What up??? Trying to post my chapter 2 on My Fan Fiction Based On The Mortal Instruments. Is this words okay??: jerk, bully, wicke. Thanks! I dont see much of your post here,BTW.

visitor

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:15 am
Hi Witchunicorn5,

Those three words are all ok!

Thanks for asking!
-Moderator Brian

new

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 pm
I just say hades,because my parents won't let me use the other word. (though on the 39 clues website I saw it a few times,and the book I saw it once)

regular_contributor

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 am
I wonder if anyone has ideas to make something appropriate, easy to understand, and interesting, since I don't want it to break the boring meter let alone register on it.

frequent_vsitor

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 pm
@technologygirl: take a look at the first four Harry Potter books. They're kid-friendly, easy to understanding, have virtually no innapropriate language, and are really interesting. Get ideas from there.
-Ollie

visitor

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:33 pm
hi technologygirl do you SAY curse words? What do you use to substitute them in verbal form, like ah man, or arrghh, or something else. thinking of other words will help get your creative juices flowing, making it less boring in my opinion

new

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 am
I promise i will not use Inappropriate Language!!!!!!!!!!

regular_visitor

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 pm
@ Technologygirl:
Have you read Percy Jackson? Those are very good examples of how to keep something clean and understandable.

When it comes to writing, Harry Potter isn't the best role model for this board. Tons of violence and, in the later books, cursing. But it adds to the story.

Think about the character or situation. Will curse words improve the story or take away from it? Are you allowed to use the word in question? On this board, the chances are very slim. So, use words you know we're allowed to use.

And think about your character. What is he/she like? Hermione and Ginny are two of my favorite characters in Harry Potter, and they never swore (and if they did, I don't remember because it wasn't as prominent as, say, Ron's language). I think the worst thing Hermione said was "arse".

So maybe it's kinda hard to do this kind of thing basing it off Harry Potter. So, maybe you should find a nice, clean set of books (Percy Jackson, for example, they're relatively clean) to base your language out of.

And, one more thing, like Theaterchik said, euphemisms are great options! Harry Potter euphemisms are even better. Like "What the Hufflepuff?" and "Oh my Gryffindor!"

That was kinda long and rambly, but I hope it helps!

~Brooke, who is too lazy to find her siggy.

new

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 am
Ummm... ok... but idk how to post anything... im kinda new... lolz

new

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 pm
@technologygirl:You can convert bad words into safe words...like "H-E-double toothpicks". U say "fudge" and "wat the fuss?!" and like dat. Its funny and safe. and you can say"A-double dollar signs". (go figure) i got it from Maximum Ride.U shud read it.the character "lives" with a little girl so she watches her lang and turns slangs and curses into safe words...there comes a point where Fang curses like a sailor(much safer than a sailor really)burt dont care about that.Listen to Max.Try like dat,and it will be okay and safe!

Hope i helped!

witch

new

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 pm
@ bella_cissy_98: Ginny says "d*mn" in the 6th book

new

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 pm
I got in trouble for saying fudge in school ._.
heck works too :D or darn :P

new

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 am
@brainyathena a.k.a. ponyriding: Then say "fuss" or "fish''....u know wat, dnt say fish. You'll get in trouble. Say "fuss".

new

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 pm
I need to ask you something Brian. I wrote like 5 poems, 1 short fiction, and 1 novel, and I posted them on the write- it boards. That was a while ago, and none of them have shown up. Why aren't they there? I didn't use ANY inappropriate language.

visitor

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am
Hi Pugblue70,

That's strange. If they didn't have any inappropriate content they should have been posted. I'll look into this. When did you post them?

Thanks,
-Moderator Brian

new

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 am
technologygirl, sometimes in books I have seen them say "you badword". Then people will know what you mean.

regular_contributor

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I've come to appreciate Adventure Time for their euphemisms. "Math" is just a general term that means anything from good to bad, depending on the context--though it usually means good. "Algebraic", "alphanumerical", and "mathematical" are some of the others relating to math.

Some of the terms are a little, mm, saucier and may be too close to the edge, but the majority of them are clean enough for children's programming. If you watch it, you may be able to get some inspiration from it.

~Lauren

new

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 pm
idk how to post anything, ya know? like, i know how to comment to other ppl's posts, but not how to post something myself. Please reply, Brian. BTW, @everybody, some of my previous usernames i can't sign in with, so if you see any comments by kittenclaws15, cyclonecyclops11, or pessimisticcupid5, just know that that is actually me. -agentthor12

visitor

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm
Hi Agentthor12,

When you're on a message board you'd like to post on, go to the top of the board. You'll see a link that says "New Message." Click that and it'll allow you to post an original message. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
-Moderator Brian

new

Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Brian, I posted 2 Dramione Fan-Fics 3 days ago, and the still haven't shown up! I didn't use any inappropriate language, except idiot, and you said that was okay!

new

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 am
I would never use bad lauguage at home or ont he computer thank you Brian. :)

new

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 pm
Brian, I saw some curse words on here that I think you let slip. One was by breakingdusk24 on the thing 'My new opinion on Draco Malfoy.' She said d*mn. Also, I don't think she knew it was a curse, (I myself don't consider it a curse), but mysterygirl123 said shoot in 'Draco's Board ((what I get board -_-))', which you said was not okay. Please be more careful about letting these slip, because my mom doesn't want me on a site if there is cursing.

visitor

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 am
Hi Agentthor12

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll make sure to edit the post.

-Moderator Brian

new

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm
@Technologygirl : It would be a lot easier if you just quickly asked an adult near you before you posted a story is your words are okay. If they say it's ok, I'm sure Brian won't mind the words. If not, then he will just change it for you and let you know that the words aren't ok. It's not really something to obsess over.

new

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm
I just remembered something cool you can do. In the 4th book, it says: "Ron told Malfoy to do something Harry knew he wouldn't have said in front of Mrs. Weasley."
In the 3rd book, Ron says, "You know what that," Ron called Snape a name that made Hermione go, 'Ron!'"is making me do!?!"
In Animorphs, Tobias says, "I said some words I can't repeat." If you use sentences like this, you get the point across, without actually using any inappropriate language :D! I use this system sometimes in my fan fiction.

new

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 pm
Hey everyone! I am new, and I just wanted to say: I wrote a few books (Not fan fiction. sorry.) And instead of using bad words, I wrote like, "He hissed an oath under his breath" and like that. It made a bit simpler. Sometimes my characters said Oh my goodness, or good grief or for Pete's sake, but I really don't consider them "swear words" They are like second degree words. ;) Any way, It was nice to be able to say something on hear, I am extremely new. Like,last week new! lol. ~Dragonpoetry10~

regular_contributor

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 pm
guys, I know you're trying to help and all, but these answers answer the appropriate question. Not my other questions, like having the story be interesting and easy to follow.

new

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am
I promise not to use inappropriate language on Stacks. And does anyone know how to find the graphical editor??? I'm new and all. Friend me!!!! decipheringautumn13

new

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm
~Proud Supporter of the Rainbow~ Copy and paste this if you support the LGBT community and their rights

new

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:28 pm
Okay, I completely understand!

new

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 am
What words are okay to use Brian? Obviously no cursing, but what about other words??

visitor

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm
Hi Cupidisland8,

You are correct, you cannot use any curse words. I don't have a list of words you can't use, but sometimes it's not just a single word. Besides curse words, you can't use language that's mean or hurtful toward another user. As long as a word isn't a curse or being hurtful, you can use it.

You're not allowed to use curse words in your fan fiction, however sometimes you might have a character insult another character, which I do allow because its in a story. For example, you can have a character call another character "stupid" but I would never allow that on another board, only in a fictional story.

Hope that help,
-Moderator Brian

regular_contributor

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 am
@Brian: can you call a character, and user, annoying?

visitor

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:34 pm
Hi Technologygirl,

If you wanted to discuss a character in the books you find annoying, that is allowed. However, if a person called another user on the boards annoying, I would not approve that post.

Thank you,
-Moderator Brian

regular_contributor

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:51 am
@Brian: speaking of characters, the character I find annoying would be, of course, Lockhart. GAH! An arrogant guy that hasn't been on adventures and BRAGS about them! Please. I doubt that he knows how to perform spells. Do you find him annoying? I know I do.

new

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Okay. Got it. I just have a question. If we do use inappropriate language, I know you'll just take it out, but what happens if someone were to use it too much? Would that person get banned or something?

visitor

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Horsepony136,

Yes, if someone uses inappropriate language too often, they may not be allowed to post again.

Thank you,

- Moderator Brian

regular_contributor

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:52 pm

What if the context was appropriately confusing, but the language itself was appropriate? Any ideas on how to make sure I abide to the board rules but not make it confusing?

[ 55 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team