Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 9 posts ] Average score:  
 Indifference
rookie_visitor

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 pm
hey guys! i've been gone for a long time, but now I'm back! :smileytongue: Happy New Year's by the way!!!! i wrote this a few nights ago and wanted to share it with someone. i know it's not the most cheerful, but i would really appreciate any comments you guys have on it.... i really hope i got the feeling across in this!

Last night, my parents had this huge fight at Denny’s. The whole time during dinner, I could only think of one word: indifference. It’s kind of an interesting thing how indifference works. It usually starts with a big fight. An outburst. An explosion. And then, the indifference begins. It can come in different forms. You might not get any eye contact. Or you might. If you do, it feels extra cold. It all depends on the person who actually feels indifferent. Last night, it happened to be my dad, on New Year’s Eve, by the way. To say the least, the night didn’t go as I had expected it to. My mother came out of the restaurant feeling upset and without any food in her stomach. All the while, indifference was growing inside my dad at an alarming rate. It was evident in the way he ate his food even though my mom had just stormed out of the restaurant. I recognized his apathy as soon as I realized he wasn’t going to say “Happy New Year’s!” when the clock hit 12 o’clock. I saw it in his eyes when I reached out to him at 12:08 in the morning to tell him it was 2011 already and he blew me off instead of giving me a warm smile. In all honesty, anything could have worked; a smile, no matter how small, could have reassured me that his problem- his anger – didn’t root from me. But the way he woke up from his sleep and just said “Uh huh” to me when I told him my uncle Jaime had just called, that told me everything BUT that. He just glanced back at me, and I saw it. I saw his cold, indifferent eyes telling me, “Why are you even trying?! You know I don’t care. So just give up, why don’t you?” the funny and ironic thing is that I’ve seen those eyes before in plenty of occasions. So why did it still hurt when I saw them last night? Shouldn’t I grow unaffected to that after a while? I know other people would, but for me, each time he gave me that look, it still felt like a new stab to my heart. Right at the center. Like a little girl begging incessantly for her father’s undying attention. There are not enough words in my vocabulary to describe how heartbroken I felt today when he told me he wasn’t planning to talk to me AT ALL. I felt neglected. Destroyed. Unwanted. Silently breaking on the inside. But I never, NEVER felt indifferent. For a moment, I wished I could be like him. I wished with all my heart that I could be as indifferent as he was, and still is. I couldn’t understand why things work the way they do. Why do I have to suffer? Why do I have to try SO FREAKING HARD to be what he wants me to be, when he isn’t even looking?! When he doesn’t even care about me or my useless efforts to please him…..

I wonder if other daughters ever feel like this because of a father’s indifference… I hope they don’t… I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." by Dr. Seuss  :smileywink:

Re: Indifference
N/A

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 pm
  Wow...the feeling was just right! I loved your imagery, and all of the feeling...it was perfect. Simply beautiful. :)
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                 Winner of NaNo 2010!!
I miss my halloween candy!!!!   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
               -Teresa

frequent_contributor

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 pm
That stinks. :( I had a similar issue with my dad a couple weeks ago. He basically told me I could drop out of school and he wouldn't care, as long as I kept the house clean. He'd rather that than me be successful in life. It's like... I try so hard to please him, and all he cares about is that I have a really messy room and I sometimes forget to clean up after I make myself dinner. It broke my heart... completely shattered it.
And just to make matters worse, I started crying and that just made him madder at me. Like, he started yelling at me all over again about how I was trying to make him feel guilty and stuff, which definitely wasn't my intent, believe me.

Maybe it's just part of being a teenager, though. That was the third time in the past several months that I had a major issue with one of my parents. According to my mom, I'm a self-centered freak who can't see the big picture. Whatever.

Anyway, this was really good, and obviously it had good emotion, because it brought all that pain back to mind. I hope things work out for you.

~Cavy

"You're the only thing I see,
You're more than just a memory..."

rookie_visitor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm
cavyheart:

Don't worry. I'm absolutely sure that you're not a self-centered freak. :smileywink: I've read your work and you sound nothing like one! :smileyhappy: I think maybe the problem is parents will never really understand us because we're not what we want them to be. I hope things aren't always this way for you... Anyway, thanks for your comment. :smileytongue: And keep writing! It helps! :smileywink:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." by Dr. Seuss 

rookie_visitor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm
TheLooker23,

Thank you for your beautiful comment!! :smileyhappy: I smiled when I read it... It even made my day brighter! Thanx a bunches!!! :smileytongue:

N/A

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

_loveisintheair326_ wrote:
TheLooker23,

Thank you for your beautiful comment!! :smileyhappy: I smiled when I read it... It even made my day brighter! Thanx a bunches!!! :smileytongue:

You're welcome! :)
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                 Winner of NaNo 2010!!
I miss my halloween candy!!!!   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
               -Teresa

rookie_visitor

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm
FRIENDS

visitor

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Cavy,
My mom often says things like this to me. My room is often messy, and, as I am doing my homework, she will yell at me to clean my room. I will explain to her that I am doing homework, but she will tell me, and I quote, "You need to keep MY house clean before you do your homework. This is more important than that. Your teachers did not give birth to you!"
The thing is, you can always just think of it as a crime of passion. It may hurt your feelings now, but later, when you ARE successful in life, you can simply say to your father, "I am glad I made the choice [to stay in school]."
Sincerely,
Cheyenne N

contributor

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm
Oh gosh......I read this and realized how lucky I am. My parents love it when I do my homework, and really want me to do well in school, and they don't really care if I keep my room clean, as long as it's clean enough to live in. For all of you who are going through this, I just hope that you know that even though your parents say things they don't mean (We all do at one point in time), They still love you.

-GryffindorWolf......TIME TO FANFIC!!!!!!

[ 9 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team