Save the Planet!

Announcements

Hi Everyone! Welcome to SAVE THE PLANET! Message Board — Talk about the environment, ask questions, share tips, and learn about what it means to be GREEN!

If you're visiting from the Save the Gorillas Board, welcome! This is your new place to share your ideas about saving the gorillas and other endangered species.

My name is Jessica, and I am the moderator for this message board. I am thrilled to be here, and I’m eager to hear your great ideas about helping the environment. I’ll be sharing my own thoughts, asking questions, and posting polls, so keep checking back!

Here are the rules for this message board. These rules help to keep things safe and fun, so be sure to read and follow them!

1. No last names, schools, or cities (states are okay)
2. Age/grade is okay, but no birthdays
3. No being mean or rude, and no cursing
4. No posting your e-mail address or links to other websites
5. No attachments or pictures are allowed

Remember that your messages must be approved by me before anyone else can read them. I will try to read/approve your messages as quickly as possible. You can help things move along quickly by following the rules listed above.
   [ 17 posts ] Average score:  

Is Keeping Pets Against Animal Rights?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 13 ]
It Depends 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I think so 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't think so 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
It's a 50-50 thing 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Not sure 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I don't know! 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 54
 Is Keeping Pets Against Animal Rights?
new

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:48 pm
I think it is. Most people don't care about their pets. They don't give them enough food, and leave them out on the streets to starve. Animals have the right to live in their real habitat, not some mangy old cage in a human's house. I really feel sorry for animals even if it sounds weird. They have feelings too and we can't treat them like this. We need to imagine ourselves in their place and think if someone treated us like this, how would we feel. These poor animals are helpless. They are living things, not some plaything for humans. Animals have a right to live in their own habitat and stay with their families. Again, we need to put ourselves in the animal's shoes. What would we feel like if we were separated from our families when we were just small children, then put into a smelly cage at the pet shop, then bought like a toy, and then be stuffed back into a cage? What do you think? This is important.

Re: Is Keeping Pets Against Animal Rights?
new

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 pm
I realise what you mean but we all know the term "A dog is a man's best friend." if they can't survive on the streetson their own what makes you think they can survive in the wild. But for people who contrain their dog who's breed is hunting dogs they do not diserve to be there. Not all people stuff their dog in a cage. I certainly don't! Dogs are dangerous if they are not watched. Have you heard of wild dogs?! Sorry but this is nothing to feel sorry for. And dog mothers don't live that long. Pups would be abandoned anyways. Pet shops ARE cruel I agree with that. But shelters are better. EVen though they put down a dog when they aren't taken. But don't feel sorry for something that could be dangerous in the wild.

new

Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 pm
ummm i agree with you to a degree i have a rabbit that COULD"NT live outside or he would die from either a hawk or bald eagle ( yes every now and then i will see one ) he hop's around our basement and he gets fresh air outside to play in the yard but he likes living in the basement ........ i REALLY don't think that is against animal rights

new

Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 pm
My cats have loved living with my family and me. They've been happy and comfortable. We feed them enough, provide them with exercise, and we give them regular check-ups at the vet. What you say is only true if someone abuses animals. I disagree with you.

new

Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm
Most owners are helping pets by keeping them, so I don't really think it's against animal rights to keep them unless you are cruel towards the animal. A lot of breeds of pets might have a hard time surviving in the wild without humans if we set them free. Think about a Pomeranian or Bichon Frise trying to hunt for their own food. Since humans have domesticated these animals they need us! We lovingly provide their meals, care for, and protect them. What truly is cruel is animal abuse. If you starve or beat an animal you don't deserve to keep it! People like that should at least give it to an organization that helps pets find new homes if they're going to do that to the animal.

Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 pm
That depends on what you mean by the term "pet." When I hear the word pet, I think of dogs, cats, fish, rabbits, the occasional gecko, guinea pigs, maybe a ferret or two. Those are animals that, at least within their breed, have been domesticated to a certain degree. A guinea pig would never survive in the wild!

However, it is true that these animals are sometimes mistreated. That most definitely goes against their rights.

There are also times that your lifestyle can affect your pet. For example, let's say that you own a fish. You also so happen to live in an apartment. Fish don't need to be walked or to have fresh air. They are fine in an apartment. Now, suppose the fish dies. Sad, I know. You are also sad, so you decide to get a dog (it lives longer, after all.) to replace it. Your dog needs fresh air, walks, and a proper bathroom are. So, you set on grass on your patio and arrange with your mom to walk the dog at least twice a day and take it to the dog park a couple times a week. This situation could possibly work, as long as the dog gets everything that it needs. Ideally, it needs a yard, but you are making sure that it gets enough exercise. The dog is probably not the happiest animal right now. You might need to consider a new pet, since the dog is not enjoying life to its fullest. Then, you make a major mistake. You pick a full-grown horse as your next pet. This situation is totally unacceptable, as the horse is being kept in a stable far from where you live and is therefore getting little companionship and probably not enough exercise. You aren't in the right circumstances to own this pet. Which brings me to my next point...

Crossing the line. I do not care for exotic pets. Personally, I hate the thought of a bird in a cage in the first place, but what if you bought a parrot or a peacock, you know, an animal that is used to living in the wild. That is an infringement on animal rights. You have taken the non-domesticated animal and personally captured it. There are all kinds of pets that experience this, though that normally occurs in the circus, or maybe a zoo, although they are supposedly helping the animals. That is crossing the line and is most definitely wrong.

new

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 pm
Yes and no. If you were keeping an animal who's breed live and survives in the wild then yes it's wrong. But if the animal wouldn't survive in the wild then it is okay

new

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 pm
I have two dogs. They are fed twice a day, but they are healthy. If someone doesn't give their pet love, food, water or shelter, the person should drop the animal off at a shelter or to a friend. So it really does depend on who is keeping the pet. But, to answer your question, I think that keeping pets is not against Animal Rights. Many dogs like human company (or any companion) anyway. Cats are less dependent, but should still have a friend. Anyway, most people like pets.

new

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 pm
It depends. An animal may be kept as a pet because they might have a home. Their parents might not be there to care for them. Their home may be destroyed. So it depends in the situation. The person that is keeping that pet may be a good or bad owner, but if it is a good one, this is will make the animal/pet happy, secure, and a home to be in. Some owners aren't bad owners, and they sometimes buy animals for the fun of it, but they should protect the animals from any harm. This is just MY point of view.

new

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 am
Wow! You guys have really made me change my mind. I guess you are right. It actually depends how well we are taking care of the animal! -Purplewizard

new

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:20 pm
I am with ya my friend! we should think about the animals feelings! if you start a club I am with ya!

new

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:12 am
it depends because u just cant catch an animal from the wild we need them to be wild not to be caught i hope u guys agree

new

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:58 am
I have a dog and i am telling you that keeping pets is not against animal rights!

new

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm
I have to disagree, sorry. Most people DO care about their pets, and if those pets were cast on the streets, they wouldn't be able to survive and would probably die.

new

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm
Hi. I agree and disagree. Like you said, there are many people who mistreat their pets, but there are also plenty of people taking care of their pet 100%.
It also depends on the breed/species of the pet. If it is, lets just say, a dog. We all know dogs are perfectly legal. But alot of people are also illegally importing breeds and species of animals from different countries. They import monkeys, etc, and keep them in cages in their backyard. That is definatly against Animal Rights. But, lets face it, that hardly ever happens, especially where we live.
But I don't think thats what we're necessarily talking about. We're talking about people who don't feed their domesticated animal/s, or take them for walks, or clean them regularly. But purplewizard is saying that animals have a right to stay with their families. But the thing is, when we buy a pet, it grows up and might have babies of its own. Then it will hopefully care for the babies, and should be happy with it's new family.
Thats why many people buy two pets of the same species at a time, so they won't get lonely.
Thats what I did when I got a kitten, I thought that just one kitten would be scared and lonely on her own, so me and my family got the kitten's sister to keep her company. I really think we did the right thing.
So, to come to my conclusion, no, I don't think keeping a pet is against Animal Rights.

new

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 pm
I think it depends on how the animal lives

new

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:22 pm
I disagree. Some people pamper their pets. Only the people who kick their animals out on the street are cruel

[ 17 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team