Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 6 posts ] Average score:  
 Jake and Kaylee Part 1

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:08 pm
"Come on Kaylee, he's definitely not worth it," my friend Ali reassured me.
"Yeah, he's a jerk anyway," her older brother Jake said. I glared at him.
"Not helping bro," Ali said, shoving him out her bedroom door. Jake was a senior, a year older than us, and also kind of like a brother to me.
"So, tell me exactly what happened," Ali demanded.
"Well, he said that we needed to talk so we went to Angilino's, our favorite restaurant. We sat down and Jared only ordered a Coke, but I got my usual piece of pizza. So then I asked him what he wanted to talk about. He couldn't meet my eyes and then he said that he didn't think we should go out anymore. I didn't know what to say so I just sat there like an idiot. How dumb can you get, a guy breaks up with you and all you can do is sit there, speechless. He looked up then but I looked away. I asked him why but he didn't answer me, just looked down again. Then he stood up and said he had somewhere to go and he left," I said.
"Sorry girlie, he is rude," Ali said, like always trying to make me feel better.
"That's not even the worst part. On my way home I saw him at the park and he was with Leesha. I don’t know if they saw me, but I left right away. He texted asking if I was alright, and I asked him if he had been cheating on me with Leesha and he said that he was."
"Man that stinks, and I'm gonna have to agree with Jake on this one and say he's a jerk."
"I know, but I still can't really get over the fact that he was cheating on me and I didn't even notice."
"Well, you were kinda crazy about him. I don't think you paid too much attention to anything else. I didn't even suspect it and I'm usually pretty good at catching cheating guys." Ali said. I had to agree with her on that one, she was the one to tell her brother that his ex-girlfriend was cheating on him.
"How am I supposed to move on from this? He cheated on me and lied to me. With a small school like ours everyone is going to know by Monday," I said throwing myself down on Ali's bed and covering my face with her pillow.
"Well, you can show the people at school that he didn't get to you by moving on. They won't talk about it as long if you move on quickly. If anyone confronts you about it, shake it off and don't show if it gets to you," Ali said as she sat on the bed next to me. She took the pillow from me. "Ask your parents if you can spend the night tonight and we can watch movies and eat ice cream. Its mandatory after a breakup."
"Ok," I agreed with a small laugh. Ali had a way of making me feel better even in the worst situations. We had been friends since she moved in across the street before preschool.
"I get to watch movies to!" Jake called from behind the shut door.
"Eavesdropper!" Ali called back laughing. No secret was safe from Jake, but I knew that he would never tell anyone anything that I didn't want him to.
After my parents said I could stay at Ali's and I got my pajamas and stuff ready (I already had a toothbrush at Ali's house, a result of the many nights we spend together) I went back over to her house.
We put in our favorite movie, The Princess Bride. Jake came to the living room too to watch with us. We quoted our favorite parts, and Jake, like always, jokingly said some of Wes's lines to me. Watching the movie, and eating ice cream actually helped for the moment. When the movie was over, Jake pulled out a new movie.
"I watched this at a friends house and thought it was pretty good. I think you'll like it," he said as he put it into the DVD player.
"Stardust?" Ali asked incredulously. We had made fun of a poster of it a few weeks ago. "We are not watching that."
"Trust me, it's not like what it looks like. It's actually pretty funny," Jake reassured us. "Come on Kaylee, it's your night, want to watch it?" He kneeled on the floor next to me and stared up at me with his bright blue eyes, begging me.
"All right!" I conceded. "But we turn it off if its weird or stupid," I said. Jake grinned and started the movie, then came and sat down next to me on the couch, abandoning his usual position on the floor by my feet.
When it was over, Jake turned toward me. "Did you like it?" he asked.
"Well..." I mused, just to bug him. He poked me in the side and I gave in "It was good."
"All right! Break it up, we have to go to bed, I'm super tired," Ali said as she pulled me up from the couch.
"Good night!" Jake called to us as we went up the stairs.
Once in Ali's room we changed into our pajamas and went to bed after talking for a little while.
I spent the rest of the weekend with Ali, and she helped me forget about Jared. By Monday I wasn't too worried about seeing him or hearing the gossip. Jake drove us to school as usual, and when we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed that Jared and Leesha were in a group with the rest of the 'popular' people.
As we got out of the car, Leesha looked over at us and smirked.
"Wow, can you say..."
"Ali!" I interrupted, cursing was something that I didn't like and tried to stop Ali from doing. Even if the person being called the name deserved it.
"I was just saying," she mumbled. We walked with Jake inside.
"See you guys later," Jake called as he went to his homeroom.
Ali and I went to our lockers which were right next to each other. As we were getting our books for our first classes Lauren, Leesha's best friend, came up to us. She flipped her long, straight black hair over her shoulder as she leaned against the locker next to me.
"So Kaylee, I hear Jared broke up with you for Leesh," she said. Lauren was always mean to Ali and me for some reason. Ali thinks its because she likes Jake and he won't give her the time of day.
"Yeah," was all I managed to say.
"Kaylee didn't really want to go out with him anymore anyway, who wants to go out with someone who only talks about themselves." Ali put in, glaring meaningfully at Lauren, who was known for obsessively talking about herself.
"Well I'm sure that's the reason," Lauren said sarcastically, ignoring Ali's insult. Once she was gone we went to our homeroom.
By the end of the day, I had so many people ask about Jared and me, that I was ready to scream. When Ali and I got to Jake's car, he wasn't there so we waited by his car, usually he was there before us.
When he finally came, he had a bloody lip. Wordlessly he unlocked the doors and we got in, Ali in the front and me in the back.
"You gonna tell us why you have a bloody lip?" Ali asked.
"No," he said quietly. Ali looked back at me. Usually Jake would tell us nearly anything. I shrugged at her.
The next morning Ali sat in the back of the car with me. She had turned the radio on so that Jake couldn't hear us talking in the back.
"Did you ever find out why he had a bloody lip?" I asked.
"He wouldn't tell me, but I asked Caitlyn, and all she knew was that he had been in a fight."
"Jake? In a fight? Wow. Wonder what it was about." For as long as I knew Jake, he had never been one to get in fights.
When we got to school, people stared at the three of us as we walked into school.
"See you later," Jake mumbled as he walked off.
Lauren intercepted us before we reached our lockers this time.
"Did Jake seriously get into a fight with Jared about you?" she asked.
(...)
"I... I, don't know," I said, stunned. Jake getting in a fight was a big enough surprise, but a fight over me? That was just crazy. I looked at Ali, but she had a distant look on her face. Lauren stalked off and Ali and I went to our lockers. She didn’t talk as we gathered our books, or in homeroom. I wondered if she was mad at me for being the reason Jake got into a fight.
When we met at Jake’s car, he wasn’t there again. The perfect time to talk to Ali.
“Are you mad at me for something?” I asked.
“No,” she said, turning away. Right away she turned back to face me. “You’re not thinking of going out with Jake, are you?” she asked. I could tell by the way she said it and glared at me that that idea was not a good one. It didn’t matter anyway.
“Of course not, Jake is like a brother to me,” I assured her. That got me thinking though. Jake had always been nice to me, and we always got along together. He had always flirted a little, but I just figured that was just his way of teasing me. When I was younger, like 12, I had once thought I might have had a crush on him, but I moved on thinking that would be weird if we ever broke up.
“You promise?” she asked.
“Yes, I promise will not go out with your brother,” I replied.
“Secret handshake,” she demanded. I rolled my eyes jokingly and then we did our handshake. Our secrete handshake was how we always sealed our promises since we were in kindergarten and we had never broken any promises that we shook on.
“Good, that would just be weird” she said, smiling. Just then Jake arrived and we got in the car and left.
Once I was back home, I sat on my porch and started on my algebra homework. Jake had always helped me with math which was my worst subject, but I decided against asking him for help. As I was working on a really difficult question, I heard someone walking up the porch steps. I looked up to see Jake coming toward me.
“Hey,” I said as he sat next to me on the porch swing.
“Need any help?” he asked when he noticed my homework on my lap. I nodded and he took my notebook and examined my work. He pointed out to me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.
“Listen, about uh, whatever you heard about me uh, fighting,” he said, a little uncomfortably as I started rewriting my algebra.
“Yeah, I heard about that,” I said, not looking up from my homework.
“Well, see, Jared was saying, um, things about you that kinda made me mad,” he said, rubbing his chin. I looked up at him, and met his clear blue eyes. I had never really noticed how good looking he was, with his dark blue eyes and shaggy brown hair. As I looked at him, I felt a strange bubbly feeling in my stomach. Before I knew what was happening, he leaned down toward me and kissed me. His lips felt soft and warm against mine. When he pulled away, I knew that we couldn’t go back to exactly how it used to be, and that surprisingly, I didn’t want to.
“Sorry,” he said and he stood up quickly. “I shouldn’t have done that, sorry” he said again. “I’m leaving now.” And he started walking down the steps.
“Wait,” I called to him. He stopped and looked back at me. I couldn’t really think of anything to say, so I walked up to him and kissed him back. All I could think about was how right it felt to be with him, being wrapped in his arms. It was perfect.
The next day, Ali again got into the back of the car with me after turning on the radio.
“Jake was really happy yesterday for some reason,” Ali said, looking at me suspiciously.
“Hmm, I wonder why,” was all I could say. It was the first time I kept anything from her.
“Yeah, he said he was going for a walk and he looked like he was thinking about something important, then when he came back he had a big smile on his face,” she said, almost accusingly.
I looked up at the rearview mirror and caught Jake’s eye. He smiled at me, then looked questioningly at me. I just gave him a small smile.
At lunch, Jake came up to me while I was in line for my lunch.
“Did you talk to Ali?” he asked.
“Um, no I was going to talk to her tonight. I don’t know how she’ll take to the idea of, um, us,” I said.
“I’m sure she’ll be ok with it, if it makes us happy. At least, I hope she is,” he said as he took my hand an quickly kissed me on the forehead.
“Jake, please not until I talk to her,” I said as I let go of his hand. We talked for a minute and then he left and I went to sit with Ali and the rest of our friends.
“So what did Jake want?” Ali asked when I sat down.
“Oh, um I just asked him about some math I was confused about last night and he was explaining it to me,” I answered.
In Algebra after lunch, Lauren came up to me again. I was getting tired of seeing her everyday.
“I heard you and Jake are going out now, is he like, your rebound boyfriend or something?” she said nastily as she sat in the desk next to me.
“He is not my boyfriend,” I said, trying to ignore her.
At the end of the day, I went out to Jake’s car and he and Ali were already there. Ali looked mad.  When I reached the car, she took my arm and pushed me into the car. I looked questioningly at Jake but he just shook his head.
“How could you do this to me?!” she exclaimed as soon as she closed the door. “He’s my brother, and you said you wouldn’t! The least you could have done was warn me, so I wouldn’t have to hear it from Lauren!” she went on.
“I was going to..” I started to say.
“OH you were going to tell me, that makes it so much better! My best friend and my brother sneaking around and I hear it first from the school gossip, who liked rubbing it in my face that she knew first.”
I sat back and let her rant for a while, there was no stopping her when she got going. By the time we reached our houses, she seemed to be done.
“Ali, she was going to tell, you we just didn’t know how you were going to react, so Kaylee wanted to wait until tonight to talk to you,” Jake said as Ali stopped to take a breath. She glared at him.
“Don’t think I’m not going to give you a piece of my mind too. Making out with my best friend. Gross! Kaylee, you’re going to have to find a new way to school because I don’t think I can ride with a liar,” Ali said forcefully.
I opened up my mouth to talk, but Jake beat me to it. “No, I guess you’ll need to find another ride, since I’m part of the guilty party in your little tirade,” he said as he got out of the car.
Ali glared first at him, then at me. “So you’re choosing a guy over our friendship? I see how it is.” Then she stalked inside before I could say anything. I looked over at Jake.
“She’ll get over it eventually,” he reassured me as he walked over to me.
“I hope she does.” He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me. It actually felt really good to be hugged by someone, just because they care and want to make you feel better. Jared had never really done anything to comfort me.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, I’ll take you to school whether Ali’s coming with us or not,” he told me as I left to go home.

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 06-15-2009 06:23 PM

Re: Jake and Kaylee Part 1
regular_visitor

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:05 pm
That was really good! I could feel the teenage tension and it all felt so real! Oh and I love Stardust and the Princess Bride!

I can't say yes until you ask a question...

new

Sat May 18, 2013 1:41 am
I really like the idea of this story, and I think you should continue with it and make a Part 3. I think if you do decide to do a Part 3, it would be cool if you broke it into thirds and had different points of view, like a few paragraphs of Ali, a few of Kaylee, and a few of Jake. If you want to add more characters, like Mom, Dad, or a sibling or another close friend or teacher, put them in to. Just a thought, I love books like that! purpledrama201

new

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:44 pm
WOW COOL AWESOME

new

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 pm
A-mazing!!!! I luv the story!!! I can't believe more people haven't commented on this story!!!!!!!! Can't wait for more!!!!!!!!!!

new

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Wow, SO awesome. This HAS GOT TO BE the onlt romance story I like. If i were Ali I would stay SO mad!

[ 6 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team