Reading Buzz Board

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 87 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Join the Live Readathon Right Now!!!!!
administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:48 pm
The Readathon will be starting in 15 minutes so get your books and snacks ready. I'm going to get some lunch and then I'll be back to officially open the Readathon! YAY!

Re: Join the Live Readathon Right Now!!!!!
new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!! smiley

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm here!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm
T-2 minutes...I'd better go set up!

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Welcome, everyone to the STACKS Readathon! I am so looking forward to spending the next 4 hours reading with you!

-Sonja, STACKS Staffer

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes! It started! I'm gonna be reading Wonder by R.J. Palaccio.

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

I'm reading The End by Lemony Snicket!!!! smiley

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm so ahppy to see that you all are here!

Here are a few questions/challenges to get you started on your 4-hour reading marathon. Check in to this post every hour for new challenges and reading inspiration.

Introduction: Tell everyone three random things about yourself.

Is this your first readathon?

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?)

Do you have any specific snacks ready?

Describe the place where you will be reading.

First sentence: Tell us the first sentence of the book you are reading. Does it make you want to keep reading?

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Haha! I meant "happy" not "ahppy". That's what I get for trying to type fast!blush

Anyway, here is my introduction . . .

Tell everyone three random things about yourself. 1) I am obsessed with the World Cup. Go USA!! 2) I love chocolate, like, a lot. 3) I have 2 cats named Bucky and Fumi.

Is this your first readathon? No

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?) I will be reading The Land Of Stories by Chris Colfer. My goal is to start it and see if it’s good.

Do you have any specific snacks ready? I have a salad I’m eating for lunch.

Describe the place where you will be reading. I’m at my desk in the Scholastic headquarters!

First sentence: Tell us the first sentence of the book you are reading. Does it make you want to keep reading? “The dungeon was a miserable place.” Ooh, I totally want to keep reading to find put who is in the dungeon and why!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Welcome, breezebrain39, dreamdetermined14, and catgymnastics173!! So glad you're here with us!

I've got a salad ready because it's a hot hot day. It's got bacon...my fave!

I'll be reading here at STACKS HQ with Sonja and Marisa and it's gonna be AWESOME. I'm reading A Snicker of Magic. First sentence:

"They say all the magic is gone up out of this place," said Mama.

Very psyched for the rest of this book, for sure!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:11 pm

I LOVE school, I've signed up for a lot of reading stuff during the summer, and I can speak Chinese.

This is my first Readathon, and it sounded fun so I joined. I had too many things going on in winter.....

Today I'm reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and for that I want to get to Chapter 16. For A Snicker of Magic, I wish to finish the entire book. For the Tales of Beedle the Bard, I only need to read one tale, because I've read the rest, but I want to read the whole book this time. For the Warriors Guide, I only wish to get halfway, it doesn't matter where I stop.

Well, my computer's in the kitchen, so I'm surrounded by snacks. 

I'm in the kitchen, and maybe I'll read in the living room. 

The first sentence of the first book I'm reading is: "They say all the magic is gone up out of this place," said Mama.

It's from A Snicker of Magic, and it sounds really good!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm reading the same book!!! surprise

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:13 pm

hi this is growlingloki8 joining the readathon for the first time. the book I am reading is igraine the brave.

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm

I love The Land of Stories!

Introduction: Tell everyone three random things about yourself. I go to online school! I have five nieces and two nephews. I LOVE to read

Is this your first readathon? This is my 2nd readathon!

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?) I want to read all of the 13th book in A Seriues of Unfortunate Events!

Do you have any specific snacks ready? No

First sentence: Tell us the first sentence of the book you are reading. Does it make you want to keep reading?  Yes!

“If you have ever peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable.

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Welcome, growlingloki8!!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome to the readathon, growlingloki8! So glad you could join us!

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:19 pm

@dreamtime

So many STACKers have recommended The Land of Stories, I am so excited to finally be reading it!

new

1. I like cauliflower, my favorite color is periwinkle, and I'm wearing a shirt right now that says Keep Calm and Read On.

2. No. It's my second readathon.

3. I'll be reading wonder by R.J. Palaccio, and my goal is to read up to page 300.

4. Hmmmm....I bet I'll be eating some apple slices soon.

5.  My couch. It's brown, big, and comfortable.

6. First sentence: I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid. 

(It does make me want to keep reading.)

new

The book with the sentence about the onion sounds so good :O Anyway, I'm going to start reading.

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

@breezebrain

That's a perfect shirt to be wearing today!!cool

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:23 pm

That's exactly why I wore it! smiley

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:24 pm

the first sentence of my book of Igraine The Brave, is " Sisyphus," she whispered in a trembling voice." wake up Sisyphus,shoo that spider away.

administrator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:26 pm

@growlingloki

Cornelia Funke is one of my all-time favorite authors! When you are done with Igraine the Brave, you should totally read Inkheart!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Marisa, and I'm the summer intern at the STACKS! Here's my introduction!

Tell everyone three random things about yourself. 1) In 2013, I traveled to 11 different countries. 2) I had to steal this one from Sonja -- chocolate is my favorite food group. 3) My hair is 6 inches longer when it's flatironed straight; that's how naturally curly it is!

Is this your first readathon? Yes! I'm so excited to be here!

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?) I will be reading the beginnings of the following: Coraline by Neil Gaiman, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and Gossamer by Lois Lowry. I always read a bunch of books at the same time, so my goal today is to read the first chapter/section of these three and then decide which to continue reading!

Do you have any specific snacks ready? I'm eating a salad for lunch right now!

Describe the place where you will be reading. I’m also at my desk in the Scholastic headquarters!

First sentence: Tell us the first sentence of the book you are reading. Does it make you want to keep reading? "Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain." (Inkheart) The chapter title is "A Stranger in the Night" -- I can't wait to keep reading!

new

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

I sure I would read that book. I am having a feeling that Inkheart is going to be the best book I ever read. by the way, reading is my favorite thing to docool

[ 87 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team