Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 14 posts ] Average score:  
 Let's talk about books you read outside of school
regular_contributor

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Welcome to the evil equivalent of the "Let's talk about books you read in school..." discussion thread.

(welp maybe it's not all that evil... but you won't be judge of that ;))

OK so! Since we already have a discussion thread for books you read in school, here's one for books you read in your leisure time, or books you want to read! :D OK so here are a few things we can talk about:

You all-time favorite books

Books you've recently read and your impression on them

Your least favorite books (as long as you're not just hating but actually discussing them)

Books on your to-read list

Aaaaaaand since it's only the first days of 2016, here's a ~*~temporary special feature~*~:

Review the books you've read in 2015!

Ok now, you don't have to talk about all of these categories or anything. The only rule is that these can't be books you've read for school (for no other reason other that a thread for school reads already exists, capito? :D)

Anyway I hope everyone has fun! :P :D :P :D

Re: Let's talk about books you read outside of school

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll play!!! Mind you these are ADULT BOOKS. 

You all-time favorite books- Harry Potter of course. The books I used to love I don't so much anymore (like Patricia Cornwell and Janet Evanovich).

Books you've recently read and your impression on them- I listen to books AND read books. This will answer your final question but books this year I loved were from Liane Moriarty. I also loved listening to both The Martian and The Goldfinch. Those were my two favorites. I also read a few mysteries. Finishing The Lake House- very good. Loved You Should Have Known.

OH! And loved JK Rowling's latest (the psydonym one- series about Cameron Strike). 

Your least favorite books (as long as you're not just hating but actually discussing them)- Hmmm.... I've gotten a few books from the library which were terrible and I don't feel guilty stopping reading them. One was even a bestseller but didn't jive with me. Girl on the Train was overrated I thought.

Books on your to-read list- Another Kate Morton book- I liked Lake House. 

Review the books you've read in 2015! I kind of answered this already. :)

new

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 pm

1. My all time favorite books are the Harry Potter series. Last term I actually wrote an essay about the importance of Harry Potter. I also liked The Hunger Games series and The Maze Runner series.

2. I recently finished The Hobbit which I liked but the writing style took longer for me to read. I also read All Fall Down by Ally Carter. I liked that one because the writing style was easy to read and it was a mystery so I wanted to keep reading. I'm now currently reading the sequel to that book which is called See How They Run

3. All the books I dislike are books I had to read for school. Outside of school I only read books that sound interesting to me so I don't hate that many books because the ones that sound boring to me I just don't read. My least favorite book for school though was Slaughterhouse 5 because the main character was really unlikable and I found the plot kinda boring. 

4. Eventually I want to read the Lord of the Rings series but I'll probably wait for summer because I'll need lots of free time for that.

- Alana

new

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:20 pm

i love cats!

new

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:48 pm

You all-time favorite books:  Well, here are a few answers to that. :) I'd say the Harry Potter series, Maze Runner Trilogy, The Hunger Games Trilogy, and the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus/Magnus Chase series They're all just too good! :D 

Books you've recently read and your impression on them: Well, I just finished up the prequel to the Maze Runner, the Kill Order. It was nice, I guess, and the whole time, I was going. "Oooh. So that's how it happened." It was a pretty good book, but a lot of... um... violence.

Your least favorite books (as long as you're not just hating but actually discussing them): Well, I don't have a least favorite book, but one I particularly didn't enjoy was Septimus Heap. But, the friend who actually recommended the book to me loved the series, and the whole last school year, people were putting holds on it at the library. I dunno though, the book just wasn't really my style. It had a lot of fantasy and action, which I do like in a book, but the book just wasn't appealing to me.

Books on your to-read list: Well, I want to read this series called Cinder (forgot the author...), but I just can't get my hands on it... And then I also wanted to read a few more of John Green's books, after reading The Fault in our Stars. :)

new

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:07 am

Not all of these are childrens books! If they aren't they have a star by them. Just a notice!

All time favorites: Alice in Wonderland, Coraline, *The Book Thief, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, *Popular(Memoir), *To Kill A Mockingbird, *The Great Gatsby, *Farenheit451, Something Wicked this way Comes, *The Princess Diaries, The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place, Icefall...

Books you've recently read and your impression on them: *bursts out in tears* To Kill a Mockingbird KILLED ME why...Ok so I loved that book.  I've kind of been bad about reading lately but I'm getting back into it so... :P

Least Favorites: I can't place a name, but this one somewhat horrible book I got from the library. A, it was to adult for me(when I read it, although I could probably read it now...), B, it was a dystopian forbidden love story. And she is a criminal. I could see what they were doing with it, and I get it, but the idea didn't take hold. I checked it back in. Also, chocolate and coffee were contraband, and thats just NOT RIGHT.

Books on your to-read list: *laughs* About 60,000. I honestly don't remember anything. I put it all on Goodreads and forget the next day...Probably the prequel/sequel of To Kill a Mockingbird, whose name I can't remember, which is strange due to the amount of critical things being said about it. Yeah...

regular_contributor

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:56 pm

OK so! here's a review of the most important books I've read in 2015! I've also read some other collections of short stories, but these are the ones that stood out the most (Not many, as you can tell! :P But this was a v busy and draining year, and i barely had any energy or time left to read DX)

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri

This is a Pulitzer-prize winning series of sort stories, mostly focusing on Indian and Indian-American protagonists and wow I have to admit that that writing is very, very good! So reading sort stories is a lot easier for me, because they're like, mini-novels, but those were done so good I often wished they were longer! Now, the thing is, most of the stories are kinda depressing and sad, so it's not exactly what you read to feel better about yourself, but rather to enjoy the writing and read something different (well based on what I usually read). But it's a Pulitzer winner so WHAT DID YOU EXPECT :P 

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

That is DEFINITELY an adult book, and definitely not exactly an /easy read/. It's hard to get into, and by that i don't just mean the begging, I mean that I constantly had to /fight/ to keep reading, because it has a lot of dark and mature themes, and the general atmosphere and mood is kinda depressing, as well. Another Pulitzer winner *shrugs*
HOWEVER! That being said, I loved it! The writing quality is very good, and it's a very large book, not as much in a matter of pages, as in a matter of the story it tells: it goes through 3 generations of a family, and it's truly an epic. Also it was super great to find a Greek American author :P Although tbh, even though most of the dialogue was very well-written and fluid, the dialogues that were supposed to be in Greek kinda seemed... staged to me. Probably because i was super conscious of it, maybe? 

Achille's Fiancee - Alki Zei

OK I think this is my favorite of the list so pls at least read this review:

I'd say this is a YA book at least, but I still definitely recommend it to anyone of age (that would be... 13/14+)

This book was written in Greek by a Greek author (one of my favorites, too!) BUT there is an English translation and they say it's very well done, too! I can't speak myself, but I highly recommend it nonetheless so if you're hesitant to read a translated book, I've heard very good things about the translator so:

Now into the cool stuff: this book starts off during the Civil War in Greece (post-WW2) and follows the odyssey of a young newlywed woman all throughout Europe, as she is separated from her husband, who has taken refuge in the USSR, and she's trying to get to him. Listen here, this book features communism on the background constantly at all times always. Yes I'm v aware of what a controversial issue that is (though that never bothered me personally), HOWEVER, it's not as much about discussing political ideologies as much as it's about defying them, instead treating relationships and bonds and sense of identity and self as more important. IMO it has a LOT of super great and important themes and I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS. And thoughts. So if you ever feel like reading a super great historical fiction, and can get your hands on a copy, please give it a try, Zei is very insightful to her characters without forcing anything, she's not as much focused on getting out a particular style, her writing just flows and follows a story, she has a very natural and personal voice, imo.

What I really liked about the book (and Zei's writing in general) is that she's not really focusing on getting emotions out of the reader as about telling the story, and the emotions occur, you know? :P It's what it is. Also it's pretty autobiographical, because Zei herself lived through those times, and I think that's one of the reasons that makes it truly stand out in comparsion to other historical fiction I've read: it's not a new author doing years of research to write about a time period that never immediatelly affected them; and I'm not making comparsions, it's not like the one is better and the other is worse, but Achille's Fiancee just works on it's own, it's unapologetic and provides great food for thought, all througout an extraodinary character journey.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Hm, I have a lot of thoughts on this book, but before i proceed let's clarify that it's for adults (ok, maybe elder teens too, like a 15+ at least; I don't want to risk giving it a lower rating)

Here's another historical fiction (are you noticing a pattern here?)! Set in 20th and 21st century Afghanistan, it's two main protagonists are two Afghan women, whose lives become interwined and a strong bond forms between them as they go through war and the violent transitions of their country. It has a LOT of mature/dark stuff, mainly because of its setting, and truly it was painful to read all the terrible things that happen to its protagonists and their families. But nonetheless this book is certainly a deeply moving read, and it really draws you in and makes you emphasize to the protagonists. I'd say that the writing, though definitely decent, doesn't live up to the quality of the other books I've read, so it was a bit of a quality transition. It was good enough, regardless, though :P

Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee

Ooooh I'm going to talk about this on the "books you read for school" thread, because there's already a bit of a discussion going on there on that one :D

@cycolevampire7: that's the "sequel" to To Kill A Mockingbird you mentioned! TKAM is one of my favorite books, too! :P And long story short, it's not a sequel, it's just a rough draft, so if you really love Mockingbird, it still makes an interesting read/comparsion, but because of the publishing controversies, you might prefer lending the book from someone else or the library instead of buying a new copy? Regardless of the criticisms, it's hard to form an opinion on your own without reading it :P

Also, @Katie; Oooooooh the Rowling series are good? is it a mystery? Do you rec? Because i read The Casual Vacancy, but i've been hesitant to read the pseudonymum series becasue........ they're a series! That's like, more than one book! Too much! Haha but if it's good i should give it a try...... about time I get back into reading *sobs*

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Great reviews!!! 

About Rowling's adult series... I really like it. You don't HAVE to read the whole series if you don't like it you know. haha

The first one was really good. The second was meh. The latest was really good too. 

I know a series can be intimidating, but it's nice to know you'll meet the characters again- lots of ongoing (and offgoing- ?) relationships  etc. 

Let me know if you read it!! Basically she's just a really good writer IMO.

regular_contributor

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 pm

@Katie: That's great, thanks! I'll give it a try, at least the Cuckoo's Calling first, and see if I stick with the rest of the series :D I'll try getting it on audiobook, and see if i can listen to it without text :P 

regular_contributor

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 pm

@Katie: That's great, thanks! I'll give it a try, at least the Cuckoo's Calling first, and see if I stick with the rest of the series :D I'll try getting it on audiobook, and see if i can listen to it without text :P 

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Yeah I did audiobook for all of them- I think that's why the second one seemed soooo long. It just dragged a bit. 

new

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:14 pm

1: FAVE BOOK EVER: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak! 

FAVE SERIES IN 2015: I loved Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer!

Review of Throne of Glass: I absolutely adored this book and the series just kept on getting better and better! I love Celaena's character and how she loves books and dogs and chocolate! My favorite character was definately Dorian. You get kind of a Hunger Games kinda vibe from this book and I highly recommend it!

Review on The Lunar Chronicles: Love, love, loved this book so so much. My favorite in the series was by far Cress! Cinder is such a cool character and I love how she can look up anything just by thinkig about it! Iko was so funny and I love all of her comments throughout he series. This series was inspired by Star Wars, Marissa Meyer said. So, fans of Star Wars and I think everybody would enjoy reading this series!

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Nice review!

regular_contributor

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:13 pm

@elfcreek83: I love the Book Thief too! AND also your review on the Lunar Chronicles kinda makes me want to read the series, too: from what I've seen, Cinder looks pretty cool, but the fact that it's a series has been kinda offputting for me (too many books! too little time!) but as a matter of fact I'm mostly just being lazy, not really lacking time :P So your review gives me energy, i think! I'll see if i can get my hands on the first book- Star Wars is also cool so :O !

@Alana: Preach for the importance of Harry Potter, sis. I'd love to read your essay, lol :P (Not really requesting you post it of course though) 

I also want to read LOTR and Hobbit at some point! Is it ok to read the Hobbit first, and then leave the LOTR series for later/if ever at all? Because LOTR are such huge books it's overwhelming just thinking about, and Hobbit is a lot shorter :P And even though it's technically a prequel, i was thinking it'd be more... orthodox to read the original series first? But evidently it can go the other way around... like, if I give the Hobbit a try, I can see if I like it and then proceed to either read LOTR or reject it. What do you think? Idk... guide me...

[ 14 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team