Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 27 posts ] Average score:  
 Lost in Wonderland prologue
regular_contributor

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 am

Wah. Realistic fiction. From me. NO WAY. :D Anywho, this is a story I've been working on for a while and have just restarted and restarted. I accidentally deleted my Realistic Fiction folder on my USB this past Monday (16 Jan.) and this story was in there (along side my poetry story and some other one, I think), so I just restarted it. Again. -sigh- The advantage point is that now I am focusing it a bit in a different direction, so it'll be awesomer! I hope. :P The disadvantage is that it means I've lost a totally dramatic point in the story that, if I want, I'll have to redo from memory. Anyway, here goes, and I hope you enjoy!  ♥ ~Aly

P.S. Mod? I hope "drugged" is okay since I meant it like medical-wise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue

Most girls aren’t like me, and that’s good for them. Most girls don’t lose the only person they’ve ever truly loved with their whole hearts just as they’re growing up. They used to, when mothers frequented in childbirth and dying in it. But nowadays, everyone seemed to have a mother, even if they weren’t the fondest of each other.

But I was so very fond of my mother.

I sat by her bedside, holding her hands. She was so drugged with anesthetics and morphine that she could barely speak or move—it wasn’t like she needed the strength to do that anyway. She had her eyes half-open to me, and I could see the fat tears that rolled down her flushed cheeks. I went up and touched the growing, small strands of dark brown hair. She had cut most of it off before it had fallen off, and after a few weeks off from chemo therapy, her hair had begun to come back. 

Too bad it didn’t matter anymore if she had hair or not.

“Zara,” she managed to whisper, and her face tightened at the pain of doing so. “I…love you. Don’t…worry. I’ll…always be…with you.”

Spiritually, maybe, but not physically. It wouldn’t be the same.

“I love you too, mommy,” I croaked out, and I was trying so hard not to cry. “I’ll miss you very much.”

“Your father…will take care…of you, I…promise.”

And she closed her eyes, too weak to say anything anymore. I lay my head down near her chest, trying to keep silent so I could hear the beats of her heart and her strained breaths. I wanted to know when she really was gone from me. She gave the last ounce of strength left in her to squeeze my hand, but it was so light a touch.

I watched her hand fall limp. I closed my eyes, hearing her rasp in her last breath and then rasp it out. Within the minute, her heartbeats stopped; her heart would be eternally silent now. The sound of her heart monitor filled the room, a hurtful shrill.

I opened my eyes to the sorrowful doctor; I knew he had seen situations like this numerous of times before. He whispered to one of the nurses if she had managed to get through to my father and she said she had; he had told her he would be here as soon as possible.

But that was a lie. The hours ticked by as I sat in the lounge, where they had moved me after my mother had passed away. When he finally arrived, he simply took me by the arm and led me down to his Volvo. I got into the passenger seat and let him drive me to my new home, where my things had been moved to.

This car ride was the first moment we hadn’t spent our time together screaming and swearing at each other.

Upon arriving home, I rushed up to my new room and locked it. Boxes and bags crowded the floor, and an empty, lonely, bare bed was by the window. I threw myself on top of it and let myself weep. I cried for my mother, I cried for my father, and I cried for myself. I hated the world.

My father hadn’t been in my life for over fourteen years, and now, because of the dire circumstances, we had to play the part of daughter and father.

And now my mother was gone forever.

Some people would say that you died the way you deserved to die.

I was pretty sure no one deserved to die from cancer.

Re: Lost in Wonderland prologue
regular_contributor

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I love it already! You've done a tremendous job with this prologue! I cant' wait to read more!
~Lauren

frequent_contributor

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Ooooh, chilling. This is an incredible start. I'm excited for the rest of this.

And let me tell you, I'm SO sorry you lost the original. I hate that.

KIRARARARA!

regular_contributor

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Fellow Aly. *smiles* You're the only person on the boards I can address that way. laugh And it maketh me happy.

The voice so far is probably my favorite thing. It's just so...developed I guess, even in the prologue. And that last line made me tear up. And I'm not a crying type of person. So that means you have serious skills.

The name Zara is awesome too.

I honestly can't find anything to critique. Post more soon!

- Your Fellow Allie

*smiles again*

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

That was outstanding. I was almost crying myself. I love the word you used, shrilling. I could hear it in my head. It was truly dazzling.

Keep writing,

McKenzie

regular_contributor

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 am

Allie: Thanks!! Cancer/death stories always make me cry. You can have the saddest (or most beautiful) stories about almost anything else, but when cancer/death gets involved, I sob. And yes, I quite love the name Zara.

Kira: Thank you!! And yeah, but losing things is something I do often...

theaterchik: Thanks! Honestly! (:

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Brilliant, you've left me on a cliffhanger. I usually only read a prologue or a Chapter 1 of most novels and stories written on the Boards, but for yours, I think I'll make an exception ^-^

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:27 am

That. Was. Brilliant.

I didn't cry (I've become soulless, I never seem to cry at those things anymore), but it moved me. It was written with obvious passion, and you really did a wonderful job of those dying moments. Those were... not depressing and not adorable, but... Ah! Tender. It was like, "I'll love you forever, andyou and I both know that... but this is where we part for now..." It was hearing a eulogy given about someone who was very well-loved...

Nuts. I'm chocking up mentally. Now I can't think straight. (You get what I mean though, right?) 

regular_contributor

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 am

tarochan1412:

Aw, thanks! ♥ I used to be soulless (after my cousin died from cancer, actually), but I opened up a lot since. XD Thank you so, so much. ♥

epicink2: XD I am so glad I am the exception then! Thank you!

periwinklepenguin15: Thank you so much!~

frequent_vsitor

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm

That was really good!  I love your title it intrigued (I like that word) me.  I loose my stories aq  lot too cheeky  I can not wait for more!

~Ella

new

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:53 pm

heartGosh, this is really pretty good!!

-EKheart

regular_visitor

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:55 pm

that was awsome. I can't wait to read more. sorry you lost the original copy sounds like something i would do 

-MaeMae 

regular_contributor

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:03 pm
amusedbrain4: Thank you so, so much!! And it is something I tend to do. XD beigebird92: Thanks a ton! ♥ pie5343433: I love the word "intrigued" as well!! And thanks!!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:40 am

Nice!

:D

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 pm
Oof. Tough break there. I kinda get it though: my first crush is either dead or dying from leukemia. Yeah... But really: that was a great job you did there. Not everyone has the courage to open up discussions like this: your last line was very thought-provoking, and I thought it very interesting that you brought up the good people/bad things in one very brief and very emotional way. And deleting things from your USB and having to recreate this from scratch? Tough deal... I get that feeling ahahahah~

regular_contributor

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 pm
tarochan1412: Oh, seriously? The reason I can connect with this story is because my 18 year old cousin died from osteosarcoma, a bone cancer, when I was 12. Even if it was nearly four years ago, I can still remember the impact of her death, and of the months left in her life. And thank you so much~ (Anyway, I'm used to deleting or losing things by accident...XD)

Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 pm
<3 it. Beautiful and moving. It's perfect!

regular_visitor

Fri May 18, 2012 3:07 am
Gotta say, this is pretty brilliant. It evokes a lot of emotion in the reader and is simply written, but packs a punch. I love your writing voice. Excellent job and keep writing!

regular_contributor

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:04 pm
Thank you everyone! c:

new

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:48 pm
it's an okay start, but i don't get the title lost in wonderland . so far it has nothing to do with the story.

visitor

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 pm
Wonderful story. I just got lost in that moment. sk8cookie :)

new

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:19 am
Awesome story! Sad though...

new

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 pm
That prologue is amazing! Definately continue! It was so amazing; it made me cry.

new

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:36 pm
GREAT SUSPENSEFUL PROLOGUE! Just one thing... why is this story called 'Lost in Wonderland?' bluebutterfly1704 **please friend!***

regular_contributor

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm
@everyone: The title is because of what her experiences are supposed to be like, to the point where she sometimes feels like she's "lost in wonderland". I decided it a few years ago. But since this story is officially on hiatus, I suppose it doesn't matter anymore. ><

new

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 am
That was a wonderful prologue! It made me cry, and usually, I don't do that with books. Have you ever experienced something like this, or did you just think this up? Good job! - Samantha

new

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm
This is just so beautiful!!:( I've never have had anybody I know die, but this was so realistic, it felt like I knew Zara's mom. Again, I just love the story!

[ 27 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team