Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 Mischief Managed
frequent_contributor

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm
My attempt at being serious. :P

I came into Harry Potter late.
    Of course, I always knew about it, it wasn’t like I lived under a rock. The first book was released in the United States when I was four years old and I remember the scene about Platform 9 and ¾ being read out loud to me in preschool. But unlike my peers, I didn’t actually grow up reading the books and watching the movies and rallying behind Harry. My dad heard on a Christian radio station that the series promoted witchcraft, and therefore it was banned from my house; a taboo topic, never to be discussed or reconsidered.
    I might as well have grown up with the Dursleys.
    For years, I shunted away from conversations involving the boy wizard, threw out perfectly good goody bags from Harry themed birthday parties, and changed the channel whenever a Potter movie came on. It was a divide between my friends and me. When they all went to see The Half-Blood Prince in the summer of ’09, leaving me at home to wallow in my aloneness, something broke within me. I was no longer willing to just sit by and let my dad control my life.
    My sophomore year of high school, I had had enough and, while at Barnes and Noble without him one day in November, purchased Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
    That decision changed my life forever.
    J.K. Rowling opened my eyes – no, not to satanic practices (puh-lease people!), but to complex subplotting, a book series that actually had a through point, and British literature. Reading Harry Potter that winter probably did more for me than all of my years of honors English combined.
    It opened me up. It allowed me to have conversations and experiences that I never was able to before. It gave me a common bond beyond school and theatre with my friends, because while practically nobody likes reading, almost everybody has read Harry Potter.
    But it did something for me on an emotional level as well.
    While I was reading the series for the first time, my guinea pig, who (if you know me at all) I was very close to, died, along with my great grandmother, who meant the world to me. Beyond being a good story, the Harry Potter series teaches about love and letting go; about forgiveness and death. And while Deathly Hallows didn’t make me stop crying, it did at least make me feel like maybe I wasn’t quite as alone in my grief as I had before thought.
    As mentioned, I came into Harry Potter late. However, I’d like to believe that everything I’ve been able to do in the past year and a half has helped make up for that a bit… I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and tried Butterbeer, and I went to see Deathly Hallows: Part I on opening day (with a huge group of friends, none the less); I watched the Starkid productions A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel and read the books, themselves, multiple times; I attended the premiere of Harry Potter: the Exhibition in New York City and subsequently toured it on opening day and saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, standing within a couple of feet of Daniel Radcliffe at the stage door afterward; and then, finally I went to the midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II this previous week.
    None of it makes up for it. It doesn’t make up for missing the book releases and the first six movies; it doesn’t make up for all those years of being ostracized purely because I didn’t, and couldn’t, know what my classmates were talking about. Nothing could ever make up for it – a childhood dreamed about, attempted at, but in the end lost all the same.
    But still I have that connection with Harry, as do all of his supporters. Perhaps I didn’t grow up as an immediate friend, but he’s always been there; in the back of my mind, out the corner of my eye. An acquaintance, a classmate – a friend not fully realized until it was almost too late.
    I have all the world to thank Harry Potter for. I would be a very different person today if I had never picked up that first book and turned to that first page.
    If the Harry Potter series has taught me one thing, it is to not dwell on impossible dreams. It is to have hope, even in the darkest of times. And it is to recognize that our choices show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
    So, it is in these final moments as the Harry Potter movie series comes to a close, that I find myself opening, much like the golden snitch, to a world without Harry. Of course he will always be there – like a fond memory to be brought up time and time again, I can reread the books, rewatch the movies – but it’ll never be the same. And maybe that’s good. Change is good, and it’s time to move on.
    It’s not without tears that I reflect back on everything the famous Potter has done for me throughout the years, realized or not. But it is also not without a smile, bittersweet and very much there, that I murmur the words, “Mischief Managed,” for one last time as I turn the last page, watch the last film credits roll, and step out into a world that has become every bit as magical as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
    Thank you, Harry Potter. And thank you, J.K. Rowling, for bringing the Boy Who Lived – and all of us who were but shadows before – to life.

What'cha think? Too formal or a nice break from my usual angstiness? ;)

~Cavy

Particularly Good Finder.

Re: Mischief Managed
regular_contributor

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 am
Fantastic as usual, Cavy. :D

Must I say more?

And wow - NYC premiere? Fun stuff.

And, I very much appreciate the formal/seriousness of this writing. Often times with the fandum of Harry Potter, it isn't treated with much formal appreciation, if that makes since. It's good to see people appreciating more than just the whole Harry Potter craze - appreciating it as a work of literature!!! Amen sista!

:P

- Allie

frequent_vsitor

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:17 pm
Amazing Memoir,Cavy! You are amazing at memoirs!

Bella

regular_visitor

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 pm
Mischief Managed! I love it Cavy!
writergal
"Peace! That means, SEE YOU LATER!"
Planet 51

new

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Well, iI dont like Harry Potter much, but this was good except it was PRETTY long. But keep up the good work!

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team