General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 4 posts ] Average score:  
 My book
new

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Okaaaay... I'm making a book to publish...its a book of short stories by the way... anyways, got any good publishers? that are under $100?

Re: My book
frequent_contributor

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:51 am

Hey coolapollo8. There are a lot of ways you can go about self-publishing that sort of thing, but generally, short stories are done individually through small contests, and only when you become famous for them are they put out as a book. Look for contests in your local area! You can also look at resources as shown in the highlighted thread by cavyheart.

Kira

Unofficial Adult Advisor for Write It!

regular_contributor

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:12 am

Hello!  smiley

It's awesome that you want to publish a book -- it can be pretty scary to put your writing out there.  But a legitimate publisher shouldn't ask you to pay them.  Actually, a legitimate publisher will pay you a percentage of the cost of your book.  So every time someone buys your book, you get some of that money.

However, publishing is a long, hard, and tedious process.  First you have to edit your stories, then you have to find an agent.  An agent is someone who contacts the publishing houses for you; most publishing houses won't even look at your stories unless you have an agent.  Getting an agent is very, very hard and involves something called a query letter.  You can find more information on them by looking up the term on a search engine or in a book about publishing.

There are things called vanity presses and self-publishing agencies.  These are places that will publish just about anything you can submit.  However, you have to pay the publisher to print copies of your book.  This is controversial because sometimes self-published books do really well, but as a rule, they won't sell very many copies.  And the copies that DO sell well often have an entire team of paid employees who help to design the book cover and market (advertise) the book.  That is expensive

There's actually a "sticky" post about this.  It's at the top of the Novel General Discussion board (it's highlighted in yellow), and it's by cavyheart, who is super awesome and experienced with query letters and agents.

Best of luck!

~Tatiana~

new

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 pm
soorry cant help you there look on the internet

Friend me please.

smileypinksapphire33

[ 4 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team