Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 3 posts ] Average score:  
 My Different Summer Vacation

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 am

My Different Summer Vacation

Summer vacations are something that people look forward to the whole year. Whether you are n school or have a job in a major company summer is a part of the year that everybody seems to look forward to. Through the whole school year my friend’s and I seem to find ourselves counting down the days until we hear that final bell and escape into the summer sun. Some people choose to go to the beach and some just look forward to soaking up the sun and spending time with friends.

One summer I took a trip that isn’t a typical summer vacation. This summer I was looking forward to going to Florida like a do every year. When I go there I always go to the beach and rent jet skis and focus on the tropical environment I am in. But, this summer I was going to Banff, Canada. Banff is located in the mountains and I would be staying in a part of Canada that is in national park. There would be wildlife all around me. It was definitely going to be a different summer experience.

I stepped off the airplane and was surrounded by the Canadian air and mountains that towered over the land. Right after my family and I left the Calgary airport and loaded into the rental car we stopped at a Chili’s “Texas Grill”. It was ironic in a way. We came all the way to Canada just to eat Texas food. While we were there our waiter explained the money to us and what a “looney” (one dollar) and “tooney” (two dollars) were. Not long after we headed to Banff which was amazing. There were so many different animals that I saw that I only believed to be in the movies. I saw elk, moose, white goats, bears, and so much more. It was a cultural shock that people were used to seeing these things in everyday life.

There wasn’t much difference in the United States and Canada. In Canada you get used to people saying “eh?” and they have a fascination with putting gravy on all their food that I did not understand at all. But that’s when different cultures collide and even though Canada isn’t that far away from the United States it is still different. But, there are some things that America and Canada have in common. When I was there I saw Bewitched in the theaters. I got a Starbucks and listened to the radio where they played most of the hit music that I listened to at home.

When I was in Canada I missed the Fourth of July. I was disappointed but I quickly realized that I would be in Canada for Canada Day. On Canada Day people were handing out Canadian flags and had a parade. A lot of people were standing all around the floats admiring them as they passed by. The floats looked like Mardi Gras floats and the people on them were throwing red and white beads to represent the colors that make up the Canadian flag. At the end of the day they had a fireworks show while the Canada national anthem was playing. Even though I was not from Canada it was still a good experience. Canada Day greatly resembled our day of independence.

Even though the trip was unexpected and different from any other summer trip I had taken it was still an amazing vacation. I saw how different cultures collided and how they were the same. Even though Canada isn’t far away from where I live and where I am used to being. I went from flat lands and humid climates to the cool summer and mountainous land. It is defiantly an experience I will never forget and it was one of my best summer vacations I ever had. Sometimes the experience people are seeking is just a few states away.

Re: My Different Summer Vacation

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:13 pm
Very Good,but difficult to read.Personally,I think Canada is a bit far.Everybody goes to Florida...

Ok,when you said,I stepped off the airplane.I thought you were by yourself,but later I was proved wrong.Good!

Sarah

I'm 12 and love this font I'm writing in

Its true.I'm 100% crazy,silly,and funny

I'm 99% like a twelve year old.1% childish

when you smile,It brings world peace.

q Recycle!q

eFor You

zDon't EVER Smoke!

YY

J Islands!

Re: My Different Summer Vacation
new

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Wow, thats wierd to hear someone (you) saying that it was wierd to see moose, elk etc. Because I am from Canada. 

[ 3 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team