General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 12 posts ] Average score:  
 need an opinion on this idea for a book, please read!
new

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 am

the book is called Terret Rising and this is what it's about:

Elisha lives with his Great Uncle. his parents died when one of his dad's hare-brained schemes went deadly wrong.

Elisha visits their graves almost every day. One day he finds that their bodies (along with others in the grave yard) have been stolen by a Snatcher, the dark beasts that find and steal dead bodies for some dark and unknown reason. Rumor has it that the Snatchers have something to do with the vanishing villages in the south.

While investigating his parent's graves a Snatcher attacks him. An unlikely person named Wenna Hale. She seems to have a strange connection to the "Qashtin," Terret's own version of magic.

Elisha joins her on a quest to stop the Snatchers and the vanishings.

But the planet Terret has a dark secret that just might ruin everything...

I hope that sounded okay.  please tell me honestly if this is:

a. Predictable

b. Horrible plot

c. Childish

alone forever,

Lone Light6

Re: need an opinion on this idea for a book, please read!

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 pm

oooh i really think it sounds awesome! i would suggest changing the name of the Snatchers to something different. Becuase there are groups of people in the last Harry Potter book called snatchers. But It's sounding like a really great idea!! go for it!

junoelf1

regular_visitor

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 pm

oooooooo i like that idea 

Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 pm
That sounds pretty great, actually. I'd spend money on that. ~Tarochan1412

rookie_visitor

Mon May 28, 2012 9:58 pm
PRETTY GOOD!!! =D wish i thought of it first....continue writing but change the name Snatchers (like junoelf1 suggested) like Seizers or something...(sorry just using synonyms....)

new

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:30 pm
I REALLY like it! Just keep in mind that there is a book called The Tiger Rising

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 am
Well, well, youve certianly fleshed out that story a bit more. Again, something that Id spend money on, for sure. I can't help but think that its a bit predictable-- but in this what isnt?-- so, if I may throw a suggestion out there? Maybe... maybe the Wenna person is a Snatcher. Maybe Wenna believes she sees something in--Elisha, I believe?-- my tablets not doing so hot with the write it boards-- she sees something in Elisha, so she spares him. But there literally isn't anything special to him, so-- so-- Aaah. Forget it. I dont know. Maybe the Snatchers get to him? Do something so unspeakable that they make him special, somehow, thereby dooming themselves later? I dont know. Im totally giving up any pretense of knowing. Definately start this though. Id like to spend momey on this in the future. Nudge nudge, wonk wonk.

regular_contributor

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:01 am
change the title, since there's a book called "The Dark Is Rising", and, well as for the snatchers, @junoelf, I believe it was Carrows, not Snatchers.

new

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 pm
Awesome!

new

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:59 am

I think it's okay, but how is the problems of the world (vague problem, by the way) supposed to relate to the snatchers (Harry Potter term for people who collect people to make money) snatching his parents? Is this supposed to be like "We All Looked Up," where the end of the world is supposed to add some sort of urgency to the book? Or what about "Life As We Knew It" where the world was also ending, which gave the theme of, pretty much, YOLO. What is the theme really supposed to be? That's where you should start! And the background story sounds kind of boring, maybe he should live int he country and travel to the city with this snatcher-girl! It would add adventure and mysteriousness, plus plain curiosity!

P.S. What is the secret of the world? That sounds like a really big thing you need to explain and again, EXTREMEMELY vague, like seriously. I feel like you should just limit the secret thing to the snatcher-girl, like SHE has a big secret and they end up falling in love, but the secret's just too much to handle, so that puts a big risk and/or problem in their relationship!

regular_contributor

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:43 pm

it sounds good, but I don't know why the Snatchers do what they do or the secret of the world.

new

Thu May 12, 2016 5:22 am

This book's idea is great, and I suggest (emphasis on suggest) that you also put in special information, like is there anything else in this world?, What was his dad studying?, and most importantly, why did it go wrong?

[ 12 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team