General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 17 posts ] Average score:  
 Need Help With Name1 PLEASE RESPOND!
frequent_vsitor

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 pm
For those who don't know me, I am Dremslier. I am author, of course, aren't we all? Currently I am writing a series called 'Rebels of the Empire. The 'Empire' is actually a fantastical land called Kharlukia, at least, it was, until a few days ago. I was sitting in my room pondering, as I often do, more so now that I've began writing, and it hit me. Kharlukia- what a really odd name, and not at all, well, fantasyish- is that a word? So I decided I would change it.
So what's the problem?
I don't know what to call it, to be precise, I don't know if the new name is good enough. So I want YOUR opinion, and, hopefully, your suggestions on the new name. There isn't much you need to know about the country, now called By'rd, it is mostly desert with only a few areas of grassland and fertile soil near the sea.
My question?
Is By'rd the type of name you think is right? Do you have any suggestions?

By'rd is pronounced- Buy-ard (ard, like in the end of Yard)

Thanks

...I am Dremslier...
,,,Hear My Name and Tremble...

Re: Need Help With Name1 PLEASE RESPOND!
contributor

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:34 pm
-----Is By'rd the type of name you think is right?----

To me, I think it's a good name.
The other name, it was really good, too. But I think it would be hard to remember if I were reading it; I always seemed to have a hard time remembering names like that. Like the book Lord of the Rings or the series of Eragon or other books with really long and ancient names. My mind never seemed to wrap around the name and what it is, I always had to go back to the map they have to remember what place it was.

The name By'rd is different; it'll be easy to remember and the name seems to have something about it that makes the place special . I don't know what it is, but something about the name By'rd is calling out to your place.
I like it:smileyhappy:.

Xepher

"The world can change and damage a person..."

regular_visitor

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:57 pm
I feel as though the climate has a big impact on the name.
I have a few suggestions
If it is a four season place= Byrd
If  it is cold Blluistaria (blust tair ia)
If its hot Hilleaun (hill i u en)
If tropical Sairiex (S air ie ax)
Hope that helps. And i cant wait to hear the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smileytongue:

visitor

Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:15 pm
Try sing a different language
i.e Japanese
Land of snow
Yuki

A princess land
Himi
Cherry Blossom Trees
Sakura

Latin
Spirit Land=Animus Terras
Harry Potter does the same thing except with Latin,
the advantage is if you need a language for your characters spells, you can use the language you used for the countries name.
Hope this helps

Sincerely
The One The Only
Ama B.

Remeber an idea is just an idea, you have to give it wings

contributor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:19 am
By'rd is an interesting name actually. I quite like it.

Here are a few suggestions though, in case you need them:

Leburnia, Casablanca, Treadlyr, Mosmortil, Vortigan, Lasemsphere, Clearheart, Werelocks, Vasere tear, Herylei, Lachromon, Dregmatil, Dremaire, Leswai.

From WelshWizard

frequent_vsitor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm
I am glad you enjoy may somewhat, how would you put it? Fantistical- opinions!

Interesting names- I'll have to store them away in my mind somewhere.

Casablanca- isn't that an 'Earth' place? Just wondering... Sounds familiar....

I think I also have a fairly decent name for the capital of By'rd- Ja'Zara- Kind of a rough accent in it.

Thanks again- Wow, am I formal today! I surprise myself sometimes:smileywink:

...Dremslier...

frequent_vsitor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 pm
Hmm... Very interesting idea _Ama B._ However, I think for this novel I'll stick with By'rd as the name. There really isn't much spell casting in this story, actually, just a magical sword, elves, and all kinds of fantastic, inexplicible events. :-) Any other story and I would have done the same stragety (sp.?- definitly wrong!, no time to look it up, must be deslixic after all... anyway) but this time was just different (long, long, REALY long story)

Thanks, Gee, Really formal aren't I? Oh well, we are who we are.

Dremslier

frequent_vsitor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm
Great Ideas I like Blluistaria but I'm afraid this place isn't exactly, well, cold. It isn't particullary hot but CERTAINLY not Tropical. It is large Country (slids the words through clenched teeth), actually more like 'Empire'- although I could come up with some 'other' words that more accuratly described it but I'll spare you the suffering until the book is finished compleletly.

...Dremslier...

frequent_vsitor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:46 pm
GREAT! The advice and comments you- and several others- gave is really helping me. Although I am asured that this will not be the last of the strange name swapping going on between my stories and the ever pressing feeling of complete responsibility to letting my chararcter's stories, long dormant, to finally be heard, I am always VERY appreciative of whatever human, or otherwise help I get. It just isn't the same, well never mind, I don't need to get into my spiritual life right now...

...Dremslier...

regular_visitor

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:30 pm

_Dremslier_ wrote:
For those who don't know me, I am Dremslier. I am author, of course, aren't we all? Currently I am writing a series called 'Rebels of the Empire. The 'Empire' is actually a fantastical land called Kharlukia, at least, it was, until a few days ago. I was sitting in my room pondering, as I often do, more so now that I've began writing, and it hit me. Kharlukia- what a really odd name, and not at all, well, fantasyish- is that a word? So I decided I would change it.
So what's the problem?
I don't know what to call it, to be precise, I don't know if the new name is good enough. So I want YOUR opinion, and, hopefully, your suggestions on the new name. There isn't much you need to know about the country, now called By'rd, it is mostly desert with only a few areas of grassland and fertile soil near the sea.
My question?
Is By'rd the type of name you think is right? Do you have any suggestions?

By'rd is pronounced- Buy-ard (ard, like in the end of Yard)

Thanks

...I am Dremslier...
,,,Hear My Name and Tremble...

Go with what your gut tells you! there is a 90% chance that that is the best idea! and i quite like By'rd!  (i do believe it is pronounced like bird or Bye-ard)

~Penguin88

frequent_vsitor

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 pm
Ok I think I already replied to this but I also had another name idea for the same place that was equally 'worthy'.

C'yat
(Kie-At)

I think that I'll save that one for later use:):smileywink:

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:44 pm
Picture the empire in your head. make it as detailed as possible, then think the word By'rd. Does it seem right? Does it fit the personality of the empire? I personally think that it's a good name, but it really doesn't matter what i think, if i'm reading your story then the name will just seem to fit. when i was thinking of my story, i wanted to change the name of one of my characters, but i couldn't because i just can't imagine him with any other name. Sometimes, i think, that the characters and places name themselves, not the author. But still, what seems right to you?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:05 pm
I think that By'rd is a really good name, but when someone is reading it, will they know  how to pronounce it?  You could name it Bylan instead. Or Colia. I'm just coming up with names that you don't have to use.

rookie_visitor

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:23 pm

I think it's an awesome name! In the end, it's really up to you. 

new

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 am
hey i have made LOTS of movies all by myself. beat THAT!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 pm

i think it should be called Moncarnia. Just saying. it just hit m a minute ago.indecision

new

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 pm
Do not end it with "ia". Too normal. Try something new like... Laktonkes(lake-TONK- ess) or Pardenese ( par-den-EES) or Javenkorel (jav-ank-OR-el) or even Likestanorell (lick-est-AN-or-el).

[ 17 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team