General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 Need some advice people

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:27 pm
I am writing a book, actually a Memoir. My life has been filled with so many different events, situations, complications, problems, etc. My life changing experience that happened almost 3 yrs ago is still a big part of my everyday life, it even effects me when I am sleeping. I dont know who I am, for 21 years of my life I was somebody who I was comfortable with, and in a blink of an eye, I am a different person. I have not got used to nor comfortable with the person I have become. why is that?
Now its time to write my memoir, put it out there, hoping for a change for me, maybe it might opens doors for me I never knew where there for me to choose from. If anybody out there can give me some advice on how I can start writing it, what should be the first things I Do,what should I avoid and how much time should I really dedicate to writing my memoir daily, weekly, monthly? I am sure there are numerous people on this site who know first hand what I am talking about, and probably could help me out.
So please, if there is anything info you can share with me, please let me know so I can get on with this book, and hopefully get on with my life
Thanks alot
Bryan

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 02-13-2007 10:43 AM

Re: Need some advice people

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm
In order to start your memoir you might need to write daily. I know that I try to...doesn't always work out, but I do try. It takes time to put something like this together.

As for the parts to include, once you get started with your writing, and you have a collection of stories to include you'll know which ones are the right ones. Just trust the progress, and good luck!

special_guest

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:57 pm
I would start with just keeping a journal. For a few weeks or months, write down the main events of your life as they happen, as well as different memories you have of your past. Concentrate on telling these memories as stories, not just giving the outlines of various events. When you feel comfortable with this style and have developed your memory for details, start arranging your memories in chronological order (or whatever order you've chosen for your book). Keep up with the journal, though, it's a goldmine of inspiration!

Jessica

writeit_panelist

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:38 pm
Hey Bryan,

In addition to Greenpeace and Jessica's suggestions, I would suggest writing specifically about the life-changing experience you mentioned (the one that happened three years ago). It sounds as though it will be a major part of your memoirs, and as you focus on writing that you will likely remember bits and snatches of other events you'd like to write about -- jot them down in a journal or notepad so you don't forget about them -- and before you know it you'll have more material than you know what to do with.

To continue from one of Greenpeace's suggestions, write as much as you can, but don't put everything into your book -- pick and choose, and anything that is too personal, too complex, too long, too unrelated to the rest of the book, etc. might have to find its way to the cutting room floor. I would also strongly suggest that you edit it as severely as you can, then get someone who's even pickier to edit it again, since it can be hard for us to remain objective about our own life stories.

Best of luck!

Diona

frequent_vsitor

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:56 pm
Bryan,
i know exactly where you're coming from. But, at 15 years. . .not nearly as much has happened to me as to you, but i know what it's like to not recognize yourself.
 Just start out where you think it's best. talk about who you are at first like your ealry life, introduce yourself.....then plunge in to the events of your life. even ones you don't think are important. they can always be taken out, but you will know what you wrote. it will be there for you. Just write when you can when you want to. Writing is a much better way to see yourself and your thoughts...i think so at least. i wish you the best of luck on your venture through your past and the search for yourself, and my prayers are with you. Good luck.
Brandy

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team