Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 4 posts ] Average score:  
 new agian

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:41 pm

about a time when you felt new

Write about a time when you felt new again.

It was Christmas break last year, home alone for two weeks and nothing to do. My parents had just got divorced and had never felt so alone before. When I was younger I always had a weight problem, just never really cared. When I was alone for so long I just didn’t pay attention to when I ate. I was only eating once a day. When I got back to school from the break I had lost 7 pounds, and people noticed. That’s when this one guy asked me out and I thought it was for looking more attractive. After that I tried to keep losing weight, but would do It a healthy way. To me the weight wasn’t coming off fast enough and wanted to lose more. I started working out everyday, and only eating once a day. My parents were so busy with work and depressed about their divorce they never noticed what I was doing.

Time had gone by and I was the end of the school year. I weight 105 pounds, and like how much I weighed. Summer came around and I was still losing weight that I didn’t want to lose anymore, but I couldn’t help it. I was so scared of gaining weight that I would still work-out and eat once a day. By June I weighed 90 pounds. My parents finally noticed there was something wrong but it was too late, I was out of control.

My boyfriend at the time noticed also, and he broke up with me because I was too skinny. That just made me feel more depressed and I lost more weight. It was so bad I would work out for 5 hours a day and eat one snack as my meal for the day. My parents were really scared and didn’t know what to do. It was time to go school shopping for clothes and I had to shop in the little girls section. It was really embarrassing shopping with 10 year olds, and wearing a size 12 in their size.

It was the first day of school; I was excited and nervous at the same time. The reason I was nervous is because I was scared of what people would say about how skinny I was. When I went to my first class everyone commented about how skinny I have gotten. I was really sick of people telling me because I’ve heard it from my parents and now everyone at school. I was so excited because it was my birthday, September 4th. I thought everyone would remember because it was my sweet sixteen, but I was wrong. All my friends forgot and didn’t wish me a happy birthday. All my parents did for me was take me to dinner, and that wasn’t fun because all they were trying to do is make me gain weight. My birthday sucked.

A few days had passed and I noticed my feet were swelling, but didn’t know why. My friends thought maybe my shoes were tied too tight, but when I took off my shoe you could see a huge indention around my ankle from my sock. I called my dad crying, I was so scared because I didn’t know what was going on with my body. He picked me up from school and took me to my doctor. My doctor weighed me and he told me I weighed 81 pounds, my dad and I were shocked. After that he looked at my feet and he said I had pitted edema. That’s when water builds up between your bone and skin. I couldn’t even wear my shoes anymore. My doctor told me I needed to be in a wheelchair for a few days. All that was going through my mind was that I couldn’t work-out anymore, and what kids would say when they saw me in a wheelchair.

My mom was trying to call Texas Children’s hospital for some help with my weight but they said it would be till December till they could help me. My mom told them I would be dead by then if I wasn’t help immediately. It was Friday, September14, and I was in 5th period. All of a sudden I get this note from the office saying I needed to check out. I just thought my mom would take me to the doctors for my edema, or I could stop using my wheelchair. I was wrong, when I saw her she said Texas Children’s Hospital is weighting for you in the emergency room. My mouth dropped, I didn’t know what to say. We went home to pack one set of clothes and some magazines. I was only planning to stay for the weekend and be out by Monday to go to school. When I got to the hospital I was so cold, my nails were blue and I could barley walk. The nurse weighed me and she told me I weighed 75 pounds. I’ve lost 9 pounds in 4 days. They took me to my weighting room to see the doctors, and they needed to take blood. It took them 5 hours to take blood because they said I was dehydrated. What I don’t understand is I never ate I drank water all day, so I don’t know why I was dehydrated.

They finally took blood and by that time I was crying. About an hour later 3 doctors came in, they told me I had to sign a contract and we needed to talk. They told me I would be staying in the hospital for 10 weeks and my heart had shrunk.   My heart rate was 35, which is almost dead. My mom was crying and didn’t know what to say.  It was 9 o clock at night and I finally got into my hospital room. They told me I could only have 2 blankets and I was on surveillance.

Being on surveillance means you’re on a camera the whole time and you can’t go in the restroom by yourself. They were afraid I would work-out in the restroom. When I did take a shower I only had 10 minuets and they stood outside the door with the door open. I felt really weird doing this, but I didn’t have a choice. Using the restroom was even worse. I had to page my nurse and she stood outside the restroom door and I only had 2 minuets. I couldn’t flush the toilet because they measured everything I dispersed. My first meal was an experience, I had 30 minuets and I couldn’t eat in my room. I had to go to another room where a nurse would watch me the whole time. If I didn’t finish in 30 minuets I had to drink an ensure. So I tried my best to finish in the right amount of time.

I was all by myself for the first 2 weeks, and then a girl who was a senior from Conroe came in. It was nice having someone else their during meal time because the nurse isn’t just looking at me. The rules were you couldn’t talk to each other about food, weight, doctors or anything to deal with our nutrition care. It was hard sometimes not talking about that because that’s all we thought about at first.  A few weeks came by and I started school there. Its really easy, all you do is go to school for one hour of the day and do nothing. I had all A’s and learned nothing.

My health was getting better, I was gaining weight and it scared me at first but then I was getting used of it. At this point I was 80% health and I could start weights 3 days a week. I haven’t done any physical activity in weeks, so I was out of shape. The next day I could barley sit down in my chair. After a couple of days I was getting in shape and wasn’t sore anymore. I had 2 weeks left and homecoming was this weekend. All I wanted to do is go to my homecoming, but I had to miss it. This guy I liked at the time brought me a homecoming mum. I was in shock; I didn’t expect to see him. What I didn’t know is that he liked me too. We exchanges e-mails so I could talk to him at night when he got done with his homework. Every night I would sit on my bed and weight for him to e-mail me.

A week has gone by and my mind was clear of the obsession of food and exercise. I felt like a normal person again, I wasn’t afraid to eat food anymore. My doctors came in and said you are discharged today from Texas Children Hospital. I was so glad to be done with this, I couldn’t think straight. I packed all my things did a final weight in and signed some papers and that was it. I was finally free again. I’ve been out of the hospital for about 4 months now, and im still doing well and not worrying about food. I never thought I was anorexic, just had some of the same symptoms.  I still have to go back once a month to weight in and do my heart rate, but I don’t care its better than living there. My life has changed completely. During the hospital I lost a lot of hair and I haven’t worn my hair down since September. The guy I liked, asked me out a week after I came back to school. He doesn’t care I was in the hospital for that reason, or I don’t have any hair. He loves me for me and he tells me that everyday.

Re: new agian
new

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:29 pm
Wow, it must have been really hard for you. That was a really good memoir, very touching, and the ending was happy, which I liked. Maybe you could write something in the short fiction section about an anorexic girl. Something like that could be made into a book!

Re: new agian
new

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 am
That was amazing. You must have gone through a lot with that.

[ 4 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team