Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 3 posts ] Average score:  

Chapter 2?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Night Spirits: complete chapter 1!!!
frequent_vsitor

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm

night spirits

No one could have ever prepared me for death. Sure, people talk about it all the time, but they really don’t know what they’re saying. When I died, it was like I was getting electrocuted, falling off a cliff, being stabbed in the stomach, getting shot, and choking all at the same time. Then I didn’t feel anything. My soul vanished, and when it finally left, it was like being in an airplane; all of a sudden the ground rushed up to meet me.

My mother, who had died two years ago, approached me. She held out her hand and smiled the way she smiled for me only. I grinned back tentatively. “M-Mom?” I stammered. My voice came out like a soft whisper, barely audible. She laughed, throwing her head back in delight. Her black curls spilled down her back. I realized then that she wasn’t fully visible. It was like looking at a reflection in the water; the shape wavers for a while, and then fully disappears. The only conclusion I could come to was that she was a spirit of some kind.
       As I was staring at her, she abruptly stopped laughing. She lifted her head so quickly it was a blur and gazed in fear at something above my head. My mother, or whatever this was, held out her hand again, this time more urgent. “Come!” she hissed. “Come!”
       I whipped around to stare into the darkness. I could see nothing, but I guess she saw something I didn’t because all of a sudden, she turned tail and fled. I was left alone in this dark clearing of sorts, alone with my fears and doubts.
      Next thing I knew, I was pelting back toward Earth at a hundred miles an hour, seeming to be headed toward the edge of California. I gasped for breath, holding out my hands to break my fall. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew that I was dead, and that I couldn’t gasp because I couldn’t breathe, but I shook my head and continued my fall toward certain death. Or re-death, in my case. Does that even exist?
      I landed on a small street in the middle of downtown San Francisco. I stared at the ground. I could feel it, that was for sure. I lifted my hands and stared at them in amazement. They were pale, and covered in calluses. These were my hands. Not anyone else’s, mine. I recognized the rough shape they had formed over my many years of playing on the school monkey bars. I slowly raised them until I was touching my face. I felt the same old pimples that had started developing over the summer, the same chapped lips. But when I drew my hands down to my cheeks, I found not warmth radiating from my skin, but icy cold. I sucked in my breath (or at least tried to) and dropped them in surprise. Whatever anyone else might see me as, I wasn't really alive again. I was just an imprint.
    The cold realization of it hit me all of a sudden. I was a ghost. And there was nothing I could do about it.
    I shivered and crossed my pale arms over my chest, hoping to warm myself up. Of course, that only made me colder. Giving up on trying to make myself warmer, I dropped my arms and started down the street. It was dark out, and only a few streetlights were on. The fact that I was only wearing a faded T-shirt and summer capris didn’t help much, either.  
      As I walked down the street, a cold breeze passed over my face. I couldn’t feel it, but I could tell because the leaves on the oak tree across the street were rustled and some had fallen. I shook my head and kept going.
     I walked for hours, not knowing where to go or what to do. It turns out people couldn't see me. So when I accidentally brushed past someone, they would yelp in surprise and drop whatever they were holding. I sighed. If only I could find someone who could really see me and understand me and my situation.
       Finally, after what seemed like a day, I found my old house. It was a tall, maroon building from the Victorian era, and the proud columns and rusted shingles seemed all too dignified for my liking. It looked nothing like when I had lived there about a year ago. I guessed someone else had moved in after my family had gone to live in New Jersey, just before I died.
       A girl about my age wearing nothing but shorts and a tanktop stepped through the door and onto the front porch. I raised my eyebrows when I realized she wasn't even feeling the slightest bit of cold. Not fair, I thought to myself.
      The girl turned and looked around before descending the steps in her sandals. I instinctevely ducked behind a bush, forgetting that I was a ghost and nobody could see me. She heard the bust rustling as I adjusted my position and whipped her head around toward the noise. I held my breath, hoping she would just be on her way. Even if she couldn’t see me, it wasn’t worth the risk to stand up and walk away.
      No luck.
    She frowned, her eyebrows scrunched together, and stepped closer. I was about to faint when I remembered I didn’t have to breathe. Slowly, carefully, I sighed and started the girl down from behind my bush. The scent of fresh leaves wafted up my nose and I almost sneezed. Yes, ghosts can sneeze.
    Now the girl was so close I could see the freckles on her legs. I shut my eyes and tried to make myself as small as possible.
    It was only a matter of time; she peered over the edge of the bush. I stood up straight, staring her in the eye defiantly, and I swear, I wasn’t prepared for what came next. I saw her pupils widen in surprise and she held out a hand to help me up.
    I gasped. She could see me, and she had no idea I wasn’t really alive. That presented a slight problem.
    She opened her mouth and said, “What in the world are you doing behind that bush? You must be freezing!”
    I was about to tell her the same about her outfit, but thought better of it. I nodded silently and let her help me out from my hiding place.
    The girl made a motion toward the house, and now it was my turn to stare at her. “Oh, no, I-I have to go now.” I lied. She tilted her head, confused, and I just smiled apologetically and made a run for it. The girl stared at the spot where I had been for a moment, then started sprinting after me. Oh well, I thought, this is going to be a long day.

Re: Night Spirits: complete chapter 1!!!
new

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:52 am
Are you still here? If so, great job! I love the story, and you are an amazing writer. Please continue! :D

Re: Night Spirits: complete chapter 1!!!
new

Sun May 11, 2014 2:40 am
this chapter is great! I think you should keep writing and maybe one day you'll become a famous author

[ 3 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team