General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 10 posts ] Average score:  
 ok random question
regular_visitor

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 pm

do you have to be certain age to get a book published and how do you get a book published    (told you it was random) 

Re: ok random question
new

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 am
not for my books! i can make my own little kid story`s like this one its called princess fiona`s snow out. once open a time there was a princess named fiona and it was snowing outside she asked her mom if she could play outside and her mom said yes so she went outside and made a snow family and then she cot snow flakes on her tun the she was ice cold so she went back inside and ate cocoa chip cookies and drank hot cocoa. the end!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:19 pm

No! You can be any age you want! all you need is a good idea and good writing skills. Don't google search for publishers! The ones that pop up are usually scams. Find an agent on the AAR (Association of Author Representatives) and query them. J.K Rowlings first book, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, was rejected many times before she found a publisher that loved it. (...)

Hope this helped!

Junoelf1

new

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 am

totally not random!!!!!!! i was wondering the same thing! thank yo so much junoelf1! you are very helpful.

alone forever,

Lone Light

Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 am
No, it's not a random question: consider your place and your company, Muse! (A-muse-d? Get it?) Technically, you could be any age to publish: I think the youngest author ever published in this age was 13 or so; the book was Swordbird... or something of the sort. You could self-publish, or send your manuscript (fancy name for book, fyi) into major publishers. Dunno how everything works from there, but they'll either accept the manuscript, accept the idea but not the manuscript, or reject you. From what I've heard, the latter is most common: they either don't like it, a case of personal preferance, or there's a ton of errors in it/ the idea is a clear rip-off, a case of professional disapproval; the middle is most common if you're accepted: they like the idea, but you need to make some changes to the story; the former hardly, if ever, happens: most ideas aren't perfect on the first try. Self-publishing means that you're the only editor, but that's also a downside: most people are so enamored with their own work (or have gotten so used to thinking it) that they can't see the errors in it, even if it's smacking them in the bum. But, you can say, "It's PERFECT!" whenever you want. I guess it's just give and take. well, whatever you do, I wish you luck! Hope this quick lesson helped, even a little bit! Yosh! ~~Tarochan1412

new

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:11 pm
Don't worry! I have thought the EXACT same thing about a million times!!! I have written a bunch of 1/4 books- wanting to publish them, have an article written about me, be a famous writer- So this is not a random question. I read an article about a boy ( around age 11?) and he had written a book about talking dragons(I think Dragon Valley). I think that you would publish a great book! Here are a few simple steps that will help you- 1. Read books- not your own, others- for inspiration 2. Think about it- if you were the reader, would you like this book? 3. Talk to family and friends- they are the reader 4. Think HARD- is there anything else you want in this book? 5. Follow T-CUPS(below) 6. PUBLISH! I hope those will help! Here are the T-CUPS T-Title- is it "catchy" or "plain"? C-Compare-Does it have a BME like other books? (beginning middle end- B= Characters, problem- M= Rising action, Climax( Turing point) E= Falling Action,Resolution) U- You- Are YOU happy with the book? P- Peer conference- talk to some people your age- they will have a good idea for your book. S-Share- Share means Publish- Show the world your amazing story! I hope these will help! Midnightwave7

new

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:55 pm
your right it is a random question.yes you do have to be a certain age to get a book published and most books are published in new york

rookie_visitor

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 pm
no you do not have to be a certain age you just make a book that is interesting to anyone and ta-da you're famous like that lol

new

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:33 pm
you can be any age to write a book but you have to work hard to get to that stage

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:36 am
No, Aquam (my nickname for you, amberaqua486), I think the examples we provided earlier, proves that you don't have to be a certian age to publish. You do have to be a certain age to work,however; and normally, since your brain hasn't developed until about 21- 24 (notice a familiar age? There is a reason why everything is limited until you're 21), people do tend to look down on you as a "newbie" or "not good/mature enough": but it has actually happened, where a minor has published a book. If you're under the age of 21, I suspect that you will have to have a legal consultant and parent/ legal guardian with you throughout the entire publication process, but you can get published. It's like child acting in that regard: it can happen and there's a clear precedence, but you can't finalize anything alone.

And some would argue that this is not a random question, considering where we are and what we do here at the Write-It boards. Plenty of people have asked questions like this before, and it is save to assume that we all like crafting stories here-- after all, why else would we be here?

I will have to agree that most large publishing companies are based near New York City- check the inside cover of many books, where they list the Library of Congress call number and the publication dates, and you should see a corporate headquarters location.

My last post here was pretty vague, and I have actually looked into this in the intrim between then and now. We'll use dear old Scholastic as an example of a large corporation, and the book Treehugger by Kea Alwang as an example of self-publishing (because it's awesome and Ms. Alwang happens to be a good friend of my family. Next book due soon! Whee!) Let's start with a large corporation.

Scholastic is a highly successful company. They have published countless best-selling series and have catapulted authors into national- and international-stardom. The chances of you making money with Scholastic-- particularly-- are phenomenal. The chances on you publishing with them, as you are, though, are between nil and non-existant, though. (Sorry.) It's not your fault, though!

They are handed manuscripts by literary agents- like literary lawyers- and by only the best. You'd have to get a polished story to a successful literary agent, and then have them BACK you-- from what I understand, this is no easy feat-- before you even get the manuscript onto a desk at Scholastic. They'll then read through your manuscript, where one of three things happen: either they

1) like it and tell you so, getting the paperwork ready to strike a deal with you,

2) like it but see some errors in the script, where they will tell you the faults and ultimitely say, "talk to us later when it's better", or

3) dislike it and tell you,"find another publisher".

You repeat the process with another large publishing firm in the case of 3, change your story to suit the company's needs/ whims in 2, or hire a lawyer to help you through the wording and try to strike up a fair deal in 1.

In the case of self-publishing, you have to market your own book-- until it either doesn't sell or until it sells well enough for a large company to want to buy the rights from you and start making a pretty penny off of your work too. (They will give you a cut of the profits if you've copywritten everything properly-- definitely take a look at your copyrights before trying to publish, NO MATTER WHAT.) The marketing in the beginning all falls on you, though; you'll have to promote your work(s) at your own cost, making it an expensive route to take. (Then again, having a lawyer and a literary agent could prove expensive, too.) ON the other hand, you can publish your book when you're satisfied with your own work: you, and anyone else you get to beta read (read before it's officially published) are your last and only editors. Ms. Alwang published her self published her book and is selling it through Amazon. I got to beta read, so I will offer advice to anyone thinking of self-publishing: always have beta readers. Have as many as you can, to get as many perspectives as you can, and give them some time-- say, a week to a month-- to get into the story. If they can't finish it by then, unless they're slow readers, then it's not interesting enough. Don't let them sugar-coat their responses, either: if they thought it was a piece of trash, let them say so-- and have them tell you what could be improved.

And to anyone beta reading: my advice is to always have a pen and sticky notes or a highlighter handy, so you can make notes of what you like and don't, or any errors in mechanics.

I hope this helped... more than the other response did.

[ 10 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team