Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 5 posts ] Average score:  
 On Emotions and Writing
regular_contributor

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 am
Okay so apparently there are these fancy ways you can set up things without text editors. Let's see if this works...if not you may see some weird random code things throughout my message, in which case, please bear with me folks.

Whoa did it work?!!!

I think it did! Are there *gasp* paragraphs?

I just became a computer pro. - A

On Emotions and Writing

*note* This is taken from a journal entry.

I don't like writing about my day much, especially in entries like these which have a way of making everything feel robotic. Even worse is trying to write about "feelings", as though they are something you can merely put into words. I wonder if having such a hard time writing about emotions is one of the things that gives me trouble. Well, not really wonder, I suppose, as much as admit. In my writing the feelings and emotions are usually imagined as I place myself in that character's place. My problem is placing my actual personal emotions onto paper. Emotions is its whole other language that needs some specialized translator. Capturing something that complex in writing gets...complex.

It's not that my writing is emotionless and empty. The...I keep wanting to say problem, but is it one?...The thing is, the emotions aren't usually mine. The writing's mine, the idea's mine, but the soul isn't mine. Whose the heck is it? Finding genuineness in writing is hard because, at least with fiction, it isn't true. It's made up, fabricated. But in really good writing, that soul is in there. It can be felt, read, and identified. If you listen hard enough, you hear not only the characters, but the writer too, behind it all, writing vigorously with emotion.

Why can't I write about emotion? Or why won't I? I'm not worried about others' judgements on me -- I'm worried about my own. I look back on myself so many times and see someone naive and easily decieved. It makes me skeptical -- it makes me not ready to believe. It hinders me from risks, from chances, from the things I really want.

The worst part?

It, the thing I loathe, is me.

Re: On Emotions and Writing

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:09 am
Ahhhhhhhh!!! You did it!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Did it take a long time? Is it at all worth it? If you post your tricks, I'll float them on all the boards. We need to ask anyone who codes their messages to put (Coded) at the beginning of the subject line so I know to check it. This could be the rebirth of Write It... -Write It Mod

regular_contributor

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:14 pm
YESSSSS!!! It worked!

It took a mild amount of time and took some getting used to, but we'll go with what we've got. I will post the fancy tricks on the Novel General discussion board.

- A

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:32 am
All I know is that writing < br > all together makes a paragraph break, which is certainly something, compared to the huge one-paragraph posts that were showing up. Hopefully that helps?

new

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 am
I was confused about this as well,but I figured it out in the General Discussion Board that < br > is a mini break and < p > and < div > is a medium break. I get wat u'r trying to say but if u describe the things and emotions of the character in your point of view like how wud you feel by the event you wont feel that way...at least Ididn't!

[ 5 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team