General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 12 posts ] Average score:  

what is your favorite genre?
fiction 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
non-fiction 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
fantasy 64%  64%  [ 16 ]
mystery 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
sci-fi 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
historical 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
other 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25
 Percy Jackson and The Olmpians
new

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 am
I have just finshed the second book in the Percy Jackson series and the series is just amazing, even though i haven't finished, they are still good books. If you havent read them you should. I'm also new so ill be talking about alot of fantasy and Mystery books , because thatis my favorite genres of books. If you have any books that are really good, comment bellow and i'll see if i have time to read them, and it doesn't even have to be Mystery/Fantasy, it could just be a good book! Thanks for reading! -Brianna

Re: Percy Jackson and The Olmpians
rookie_visitor

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 am
I love that series its one of my favorite!! here are some books you might like. Leven Thumps, maximum ride, athenaanalyzing6 aka shanie

new

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 am
OMGawds!I love PJ!!!

Percy Jackson and The Olmpians
new

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 pm
Yeah! Percy Jackson is really awesome. I just finished the second book in the second series or whatever it is...the one with Jason? I won't say any more, considering there are people here that haven't read the books. But I'm waiting for Mark of Athena to come out, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm running plum out of books to read...and most of the series and novels people suggest to me I have already read. xD But yeah. -Flash

new

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm
I am obsessed with the Percy Jackson series! The second series is great but personally I like the first series way better. Some great books/series are: The Series of Unfortunate Events, Sisters Grimm, The White Giraffe, Love Aubrey, Smile, Matilda, Kingdom Keepers, Schooled, Out of My Mind, School of Fear, and Confectionately Yours.

new

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:33 am
i love the percy jackson books i have read all of them in the 1st and 2nd series some other books u may like are the Kane Chronicles, the dark endeavor, tigers cures and the eragon series

visitor

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 am
I <3 Tyson!!!!!!!!!!!

new

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 pm
I have read the entire Percy Jackson series and the whole Harry Potter series. Before I read Percy Jackson I thought no one would ever come close to being as good as Harry Potter but, now I think that Harry has some tough competition thanks to Percy.

new

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 am
Percy Jackson is completly, totally freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Uh, books to read, well there's a series called "The Thirteenth Reality" I've only read the 1st one so far but it totally piqued my interest.

new

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 pm
i read the series in a week

new

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 am
I have read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and I would just like to say a job well done to Rick Riordan. He enters a lot of action, emotion, and adventure to theses stories, making people be on the edge of their seats. :) My favorite book out of the five in this series would have to be The Sea of Monsters. In this book, Percy's protector Grover has gone missing. The camp is under attack. What challenge will Percy have to face on this upcoming battle? He will have to risk his and other people's lives to find the golden fleece, return to the camp, and save Grover. With the help of Clarrise, Annabeth, and Tyson, they will all be able to save the day.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 am
Heck yes. A reason to fangirl over books.

For mysteries... Have you ever considered any of the classic detectives? Holmes, Miss Marple, Poirot, Sam Spade, et cetera? Because they are fabulous once you get into those. Murder on the Orient Express, And Then There Were None, Sign of Four, A Study in Scarlet... They're all great, if a little hard to get into. If you're loking for something a little more modern, try Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. It's a great book.

Fantasy's a little tricky if you're looking for quirky and not mainstream. If you like quirky, then try Coraline (be warned, it's kinda creepy) or the Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia. Narnia is shorter but I've always found Lewis to be very engaging (and pretty sassy, too) and you can impress your friends, teachers, and family when you start drawing parallels between religions and their portrayal in these novels. Tolkien, however, is a daunting task to undertake as those books are huge. But they'll do nicely for long waits and sick days. Also, you've got excellent movies out.

Brief mainstream time: There are parts of the Inheritance cycle that I enjoyed, but it was pretty tedious to me, as they're the size of my head and I pretty much skipped every part with Eragon in it from Eldest... (Roran is an excellent character. Eragon? Not as much.)

Edgar Allen Poe's poems and short stories is great if you're looking for something short and really creepy; Hugh Lofting's Doctor Dolittle stories are great (do not confuse these with the awful movie from years ago, Doctor Dolittle is so boss); the May Bird series is fun if a little unnerving, The Kane Chronicles had it's moments (they'll have more moments if Riordan does the crossover like hE'S ALLUDED TO); Roald Dahl--any of his stories-- are fabulous; and Alex Milway's Mousehunter series was a fantastic adventure. But not if you don't like mice. All of these were pretty quirky if not classic, so I implore you to read these.

Also I have been informed to shamelessly ask people to read Treehugger by Kea Alwang. I don't mind but I totally forgot because wOW THAT BOOK WAS FABULOUS MAN but no really buy it and read it. It's pretty great, actually from an objective standpoint. (From a subjective standpoint I'd tie you to a chair, take enough to cash to buy it for you, and buy it for you. And maybe refuse to cut you loose until I've finished reading like a chapter or two aloud to you.) (Also if you're looking for pretty mainstream this is more mainstream-ish in it's writing.)

Just as a closing remark: nothing impresses people more than Shakespeare quotes in like the SATs if they belong there. And if you can keep an open mind long enough to get the language, it's actually hilarious and really off-color. Repeat schools are making you read off-color jokes for English class and write papers on that and if you don't think that's the funniest thing in the world then I don't know what to say to you??

[ 12 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team