General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 24 posts ] Average score:  
 Publishing Resources List
frequent_contributor

Mon May 31, 2010 2:57 pm
**Bronwen, could you possibly float this thread so we can keep adding onto it for a while?

I thought it would be a good idea to put together a list of all of our publication resources -- books, magazines, and websites (names only on any websites; we can't post links, for obvious reasons). That way, whenever someone's wondering where s/he can find a list of lit agents to send to, how to write query letters for each specific agency and publisher, get past writers block, etc, s/he can just come to this list and find out which resources are good for those things.

So, basically, share where you've gotten information on the writing, editing, and publishing processes on this thread and check out the other resources people have used.

~Cavy

"Today is everything."

Re: Publishing Resources List

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 am
Great idea! Thanks Cavy!

Write It Mod

frequent_contributor

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 am
I LOVE the Predators and Editors website. It has a list of different agents and editors and it'll tell you about their sales and whether they are known scams or not. Very helpful!!!

Also useful are the Writer's Market books, whether the Children's or just the regular. Try to get the most recent one. Libraries are usually good about having them in stock. These have lists of publishers that you can contact, and contests, and magazines, and sometimes agents too, and they have articles in the front about writing and publishing. You can use it to go to websites about publishers, etc, which also often have really good, important information.

I also love the Baby Name site, for character names. That's always fun. :smileyvery-happy:

Then of course there are the communities for writers, which, unfortunately, aren't as safe as this but are also good ways to get your stuff out there. That includes NaNoWriMo and Teen Ink. A few of our own here on WI have blogs, too, I believe, which are always entertaining. Some good magazines to try are Merlyn's Pen, and some contests are the SAWAs and the Creative Communication contests.

Heaven's gates won't open up for me
With these broken wings I'm falling
All I see is
you
Come, please, I'm calling
Say it if it's worth savin' me...

Kira

contributor

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 am
Actually, you can get fairly good information here, on Scholastic Write It. And this doesn't only come from the Message Boards, but the main site they hold as well. Aside from that, I've gotten tips from NaNoWriMo's "What Do I Do Now?" page (it might be called something similar) under the Writer's Resources tab.

Peace, Love, and Wrock n' Roll!
~Charmfairy~
"NEVILLE TURN THE SPEAKERS UP!"
Yes, I am a GEEK. And yes, I am PROUD.

regular_contributor

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 am
I recommend the Andrea Brown website for tips on a query.

Books to get:

Children's Market for Writing and Illustrating 2010
Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine

And there's a book on getting published whose title slips my mind... But I mentioned it in a post a while ago.....

*yawn* It's too early for me to think straight.

xoxo
Hannah-lace
"Choose treachery! It's more fun!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 pm
Okay - don't laugh - one of the best books that I use to look back on is "How To Get Your Book Published for Dummies". It has a lot of good information on how to write query letters and writing in general. I know it's helped me alot.

-TheBloop-

"A bird doesn't not sing because he has an answer - he sings because he has a song." -Joan Anglund

frequent_vsitor

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm
writersdigest has a list of agents which gives the agent's email address, adress, what they want, what they don't want, tips and more. Look around the site and you'll find other helpful hints.

P.S. Mods, I'm sorry if I made the site name a link. I really don't know how to fix these things. :smileytongue:

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 06-14-2010 06:14 PM

contributor

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm
Oh, I'm really excited to see what you guys put! I'm one of the people who need this stuff. What a great idea, Cavy!

visitor

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 pm
That's cool!

regular_contributor

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 pm
Lulu is a great self-publishing site. It's really quick/effecient too. All you have to do is upload the file and you get to choose binding, paper type and design the cover! It's really a pretty fun process. Plus, you get to be in charge of all of the distribution and marketing and stuff which is a really good experience. (Speaking through my Aunt...LOL) Anyway, I reccomend this for maybe poetry books or small children books, but if you are looking for a big-seller novel coming out, then I actually think you might consider trying not self-publishing and actually finding a lit agent, etc. I also have been reading up a bit on the Andrea Brown Literary Agency and so far its looking pretty good. Their basically a pretty average lit agency, but what I like that's more different about them is that they said that they try to keep the agency smaller, which I actually kinda prefer, but then again that's just me. I suggest checking out their site and they have a good number of agent bios and a whole lot of info on how to write you Query letter, etc. If I ever do finish editing my numurous writings...(okay...START editing) and actually CONSIDER publishing, their definitely on my list of submissions. Yeah, I do a LOT of research on this kind of stuff. I guess it's kind of a psycho-author kind of thing. LOL. :) Welp...that's all for now! TTYL!

~ Allie

Proud Supporter of Mission Solidarity

P.S. Cavy, this post is a REALLY good idea. I think we can all get something from it! :)

contributor

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:06 pm
(...)

Also, I found this site called "Search for Publishers".  You basically fill out an form and it matches you to the right agents/companies.  Haven't used it yet since I don't have a book ready for publishing, but some of you might find it helpful.

I also use Baby Name Addicts to find character names.

Also, for those of you who just want to focus on speeding through a 1st draft and not worrying about editing, or are tired of the clutter of buttons in many word processors, I found a program called DarkRoom.  Basically, you write with green text in the courier font in a black screen that has no buttons anywhere.  If you hit F11, a little menu shows up at the top left corner (file, edit, help, etc buttons).  When you save your files, I think they are saved as .txt files, and maybe you can change the file type, but I haven't had time to play with the program yet, so I don't know...
Hopefully you will find this info helpful!

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 11-09-2010 05:30 PM

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:39 pm
What good timing for something like this! Honestly, what I end up doing is taking at look at the page that hs, like, all of he book's information, like the ISBN number. That page almost always has the snail mail address in it, and you can fnd out the best way to contact the publishing sector of a big company. I ope this helped a bit!
Taro-chan~ =^w^=

N/A

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 pm
  I don't know about publishing, but I've got a good agent that I'm thinking of querying when I finish editing, etc...

Baker’s Mark Literary Agency

FICTION INTERESTS: middle-grade and YA fiction, magic(al) realism, contemporary fiction and women’s fiction. Agent is interested in anything with an urban-fantasy touch (more Mike Carey than Maurice G. Dantec), and the middle-grade and YA should have edgy, true-to-life characters and dialogue. The contemporary and women’s fiction should have a wide entry point for its audience but a strong hook that makes it stand out from the crowd.
HOW TO CONTACT: “We prefer a query before you send us your manuscript. Query us via e-mail. Your query should be one page with no attachments and no chapters included in the body of the e-mail. Queries sent with attachments will be deleted unread. If, based on your query, we ask to see more of your work, we will request more material to be sent via the U.S. Postal Service. Work without a SASE will not be returned. Please do not submit any original materials.”
RECENT SALES: Never After by Dan Elconin; The Choyster Generation by Amalia McGibbon, Claire Williams and Lara Vogel.

(of course, if you need more info, look her up on writer's digest on the top 25 agents list, I believe. Bronwen already edited part of this out. I posted this a while ago somewhere on the general discussion boards, but I thought it would be good to post here. :smileyhappy:)
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                12 days until the end of NaNo!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!
                 HP7 premiere at midnight TONIGHT!!! AHHHH!!!!!!
                5 days until Doctor Who Day!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

I miss my halloween candy!!!!    
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

-Teresa

N/A

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm
  Also, a good site for critiquing your Query letter is a site called Query Shark. Basically, the woman who runs it is an agent. She critiques query letters and helps people get their query letters into shape. If the book that the query letter is on is one of the genres that she represents, and your query letter intrigues her, then she will represent your book. If not, then she will still help you critique your query letter. She really works- the people who go to her site, even if they don't submit a query letter to her and just look at her advice, have a higher rate of being published.
                Everyone deserves to cry.
               WE MISS YOU, CRAZYNACHOS!
              "80% of girls at least age 12 have a boyfriend. If you are part of the 20% that doesn't have a boyfriend at least age 12, copy and paste this to your sign-off."
                 Winner of NaNo 2010!!
I miss my halloween candy!!!!   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
               -Teresa

contributor

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm
For my English class this week, I had to write a paper, but I got to pick my own topic!  My topic was "How to Publish a Book".
While I was researching, I found an awesome article on the internet called "So You Wanna Publish a Book?"  It goes through all the steps of querying, sending out proposals, etc, but it also explains how they're formatted and how to get a good agent and what to look for in contracts and stuff.  I highly recommend Googling it!

After I finish editing my paper, I'll probably post it on the Journalism boards.  Hopefully by the end of this  week I'll put it up.  (The paper is called "Publishing a Book", and I'll post it under that title.)

Also, check out my interview with John Flanagan!  He gave some really great advice that has been very helpful to me and would probably help you all out, too! :smileyvery-happy:

contributor

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 am
So now that I'm finally starting to send out to agents and all, I have information to give! The Agentquery website is AMAZING!! I got a list of like, 180 agents for the genre I'm writing for! I highly suggest it :)

frequent_contributor

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:18 pm
So I kind of just realized that although I created this thread a year and a half ago, I'm still yet to contribute to it. :P

Just to repeat what everybody else has been saying, the Writer's Market books are fantastic for looking up agents, competitions, lit magazines, publishers... basically whatever. And there's a different book for all the different genres. In the past, I've bought the Children's Market and Poet's Market, and they were both extremely helpful. Another upside of purchasing a Writer's Market book is that you get a year long subscription to that element of the Writer's Digest website for free, where there are all kinds of great articles on writing and editing. Writer's Digest also offers a free e-newsletter that comes crammed full with all kinds of writing tips, contest listings, and agent bios. (Gotham Writing Workshop offers an e-newsletter, too, and although it's good, I definitely prefer the Writer's Digest one to it.)

If you ever have the chance, GO TO A WRITING CONFERENCE. I attended the Writer's Digest Conference in New York City last January and it was worth every cent. I learned a TON on plotting and character development from their writing workshops, and meanwhile my mom went to all the sessions on building author platforms, which were super helpful also.
The best part of the conference, though, was definitely getting to meet other aspiring writers and attend the pitch slam, during which I got to pitch my novel face-to-face with eight different literary agents from around the country. Because I talked to them at the conference, my query letter and sample pages got moved out of the slush pile, and so I got a lot more attention a lot sooner. It's really the way to go, and I know a lot of people say that, but it's because it's true. Some agents don't even accept queries without meeting you face to face at a conference or getting a referral from another of their clients.

Oh, and I highly recommend Baby Names for all your character naming needs.

I'll try to get back here with a list of books I recommend, sometime.

Good luck to everybody!! :D

~Cavy

Some secrets were never meant to be remembered...

Message Edited by Write_It_Moderator on 10-22-2011 09:06 AM

new

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 am

I just saw this list, and I wanted to contribute, but I know absolutely nothing about publishing, and I noticed you guys recommending Baby Names for character naming. So I decided to recommend MY favorite naming site, behindthename because it has etymology in detail, names in almost every language, a random name generator, and statistics and stuff. I don't know, the main distinction between it and Baby Names is the cool font.

So yeah. That's my wonderful contribution!

magic*esi

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

SEMICOLONS!!!!!!

new

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey!!

I heard on TV that if you have writers block you can use a type writer.

Cool, huh!

Since I get writers block a lot I think I should get a type writer.

Bookworm287

Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 am
i reccomend lulu. its pretty simple to search. it can publish just for you, on their site, and on amazon/websites. it all depends on your package. BEWARE: choose the 2 cents a page package, especially if its a long book. anywhere from 24-800 pages are accepted. they do paperback, hardcover, e-books, and both e-books and paper copies. i have an account. the accounts are free to create. i have a lot of info about it. (NOTE:it requires PDF files but it shows you how to create them, so it simplifies things A LOT.)
~hope this helped. eglantine57

new

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 pm
I'm in the middle of writing a novel, and I want to know how to publish a book!

new

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm
I really agree with your idea

new

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm
cool i really liked it.......by the way this is blackeyes299.lol haaa!

new

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm
This is soooo cooool!!!!!
On the Baby Name thing, I actually bought a Baby Name book so I wouldn't have to go on my PC everytime I needed a name ( i usually wrote my stories in a notebook, and I didn't type them on the computer)
But now, I do type my stories in the computer so I don't need the book as much as I used to.
ANYWAY, I just LOVE choosing names for characters in my stories!!!! I'm gonna list my fave names:
For Girls:
Tori - i LOVE that name
Xena - you say it like zee-na (just in case you don't know)
Lois
For Boys:
Seth
Zachary
Spencer
But I haven't used any of those names in any of my stories yet. You guys can feel free to use any of them for any of your characters :D *hands out virtual baby name books* :lol:

amusedchicken22

[ 24 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team