Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 32 posts ] Average score:  
 Puppy Mill

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 pm
I was watching Oprah today(some of her shows are VERY fascinatinating, and very educational), and I saw the worst image ever. No, it wasn't blood and gore, it was something so innocent, that even the meanest person in the world could not mistreat. Well, that is what I thought before I watched the episode.
Just before I opened my creamy peanut butter crackers(which are delish, by the way), I saw this sweet little puppy face pop up the screen. Aww, I thought. This was going to be cute! I was immediately forced to swallow my words when I saw starving mothers and puppies trapped in tight cages that were lined up in rows in one building. They were cramped, and most didn't even have enough room to raise their head. The puppies were moving around anxiously. Some, were skinny and sick looking, one had white stuff coming out of her nose. I quickly threw my crackers out of the way. This was NOT the time for snackage! Who could treat such cute, adorable animals in such a horrible way? Luckily, the investigator on the show, Lisa Ling, brought this horrifying news to light. They rescued 41 dogs from those 'puppy mills' not a long while ago. But there are still hundreds trapped. Most, when brought to safety, did not even know how to walk. The mothers, only a few saved, had tumors on their stomachs because they were forced to breed all day long-some making hundreds of litters in only 8 years! This is inhumane! I'm not a super strong believer in animal rights, but sometimes, we step WAY out of line!
So, as the kids of America, we need to stop this! Sure, grown-ups do all of the legal work, but we have just as much power, no matter what anyone says. As time goes on, there is more and more technology that can help us get the word out there! So spread the news, because innocent animals do not deserve to be treated like garbage, they didn't do anything wrong. Also, the mills are producing too many babies, which is useless because we don't buy THAT many puppies, so most of them end up being put to sleep anyways! If you're animal lover, nows the time to stand up for animal rights, because this, this of all things, is way out of hand!

Re: Puppy Mill
frequent_vsitor

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Everyone sign your name under this thread if you want this to stop!!! Puppies do NOT deserve this at all!! The poor mothers get deformed because they get over-bred. tell adults, send letters to the governmant, tell everyone to help. These puppy mill owners need to be put in the slammer for LIFE. So please, tell neighbors, friends, family, and even strangers to help stop puppy mills. Get a petition going. Sign a petition. It has to be stopped!

regular_contributor

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:33 pm
I full-heartedly agree. It's horrible what they do to the dogs...

_Winky_
Brooke J.

regular_visitor

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:23 pm
That is very sad!! I hate seeing animals mistreated. Animals are just like humans. When you hurt an animal you're really hurting yourself.
 ~Tiggy

contributor

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 pm
I'm totaly sighning my name!

Kelsey (Foreverfunny)

contributor

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 pm
I know!!!!!!! I read a article in the newspaper about it in class and I almost started crying in class! We have to do something!

Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 am
You are right! I feel like I want to do something about it too!

contributor

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 pm
     I agree! This inhumane torment should stop! But people might not necessarily take us seriously, but here's one way to prevent more innocent puppies being born in those rancid conditions.

• Don't by puppies from pet shops. Breeders are fine, as long as you check out where the puppies are and interview and do all that stuff. But never, no matter how cute and how much you want that puppy, buy a dog from a pet shop. Most of those dogs are from puppy mills, and some might be mutts gotten for free at the shelter and sold for ridiculousy high prices. Dog Pet Shops are scams. Yes, you might think you're helping that puppy by buying it, but I don't think your parents want to spend thousands of dollars curing the many ailments a puppy mill pup can face, and might die of anyway. More money to the puppy mills means more breeding.
  • I think puppy mills might be legal in some states, but it's not totally against the law.
  • Go the pound or shelter. I got my dog (a beautiful, red, Chow-German-Shepherd-Lab-mix who enjoys sticking his nose in people's armpitts) from an adoption event. I'm not totally sure of the statistics, but many dogs in the shelters are purebreds. They also have different reasons why they were given up, so don't judge all dogs. Even pit bulls can be wonderful pets (I saw a female pit-bull-mix at the Humane Society once, and when I stuck my fingers through the cage, she came up to me and licked my hand and stared at me with the biggest, most heart-melting brown eyes a dog can have).
  • Talk to the owners of the pet shop, try to persuade them not to buy from puppy mills (this might not work, since those guys make the most money on purebreds from those mills, and I don't blame them; they need money to support their families, and unfortunately, it comes from selling traumatized young ones).

Sign me in! Twinkie Blinkie

frequent_contributor

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:42 am

_TwinkieBlinkie_ wrote:
  • Don't by puppies from pet shops. Breeders are fine, as long as you check out where the puppies are and interview and do all that stuff. But never, no matter how cute and how much you want that puppy, buy a dog from a pet shop. Most of those dogs are from puppy mills, and some might be mutts gotten for free at the shelter and sold for ridiculousy high prices. Dog Pet Shops are scams. Yes, you might think you're helping that puppy by buying it, but I don't think your parents want to spend thousands of dollars curing the many ailments a puppy mill pup can face, and might die of anyway. More money to the puppy mills means more breeding.
  • I'd like to mention that not ALL pet shops are bad! I mean, I totally support what you're saying, but, if you really love some puppy at a pet shop, at least do your research about where it's coming from. I actually got my dog from a pet shop, but all of the puppies there were from licenced AKC breeders. We were given contact information for the breeders, and everything! The store had a deal with the breeders that they could come and pick and choose from the pups that weren't show quality. Also, the store asked everyone to go to at least one of the local animal shelters for a few hours before choosing to buy a puppy from them or not.
  • But, you are most definitely right about all of the illnesses! Any dogs kept it crowded positions (animal rescues and shelters, pet shops, puppy mills) have a higher chance of picking up illnesses like kennel cough, and some types of infections. My dog came to us with a minor infection that a lot of dogs get as puppies. The shop actually carried special antibiotics for it, but my dog didn't have it severe enough yet when we adopted her for anyone to notice. It became worse within a couple of weeks (the vet didn't even realize that it was there when we brought her for a checkup a few days after we got her), and we got her on meds. She's been fine otherwise. Well, she has had ear infections, but that's because she's a Beagle (they often get ear infections), and she's picked up some yeast in her ears because of when she was spayed (the special cone-collar thing they used trapped moisture in her ears).
  • Well, basically what I'm trying to say is that not all pet stores are bad. You just need to do your research before making any decisions. We did, and it really paid off. :)
  • I think puppy mills might be legal in some states, but it's not totally against the law.
  • Go the pound or shelter. I got my dog (a beautiful, red, Chow-German-Shepherd-Lab-mix who enjoys sticking his nose in people's armpitts) from an adoption event. I'm not totally sure of the statistics, but many dogs in the shelters are purebreds. They also have different reasons why they were given up, so don't judge all dogs. Even pit bulls can be wonderful pets (I saw a female pit-bull-mix at the Humane Society once, and when I stuck my fingers through the cage, she came up to me and licked my hand and stared at me with the biggest, most heart-melting brown eyes a dog can have).
  • Totally agreed! I love animals from shelters... Both of my cats came from the Humane Society, and they are the sweetest things ever! :) I'm planning to, when I get older, foster cats for the Humane Society. Right now my house is sort of a zoo, so my parents won't let me... Hehe. I've managed to convince them to let me have two guinea pigs, a fish bowl full of snails, and a dog... and then we have the two cats, too! But, later on, I'll definitely foster some animals! :)
  • Talk to the owners of the pet shop, try to persuade them not to buy from puppy mills (this might not work, since those guys make the most money on purebreds from those mills, and I don't blame them; they need money to support their families, and unfortunately, it comes from selling traumatized young ones).
  • Agreed! :)

cavyheart_

"Because Everyone Deserves a Smile..."

frequent_contributor

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 am
I'll sign!

(sorry, I can only give you my penname!) Diana, _cavyheart_

_cavyheart_

"Because Everyone Deserves a Smile..."

frequent_vsitor

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:51 pm
Soo Sad......

EMma

Tue May 26, 2009 7:52 pm
That is so cruel! You know what? I actually prefer animals to humans! I mean, Animals don't cause pollution. Animals don't torture humans. Animals don't do anything bad that humans do!

Well, sure, some animals eat us ( :P ), but still! When people go hunting, animals can't really do a thing about it!

So, I say, as the kids, and the next generation, we should try and reduce - and hopefully END- animal abuse.

Sorry...I'm kind of ranting...I HATE animal abuse, if you haven't guessed that already! ;)

And, my puppy (An English -Shepherd ), well, he ran away from his home (with no collar), and then this one animal shelter - that's like the Humaines Society - found him, starving, his ribs showing...he had obviously been mistreated...:(

And he's so sweet...HUMANS ARE TERRIBLE!!!!!! Sorry, again!! I do this everyone now and then, when I get started...

LuckyXStar

contributor

Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 pm
OMG, that's terrible!!!:smileysad:  You should post this on the Save the Planet board.

regular_contributor

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm
The things some people do to puppies/dogs... it is sick. Animals have feelings, too! I've heard about these awful, terrible, sick, saddening, upsetting, disgusting, unpleasant, puppy mills and I know a little about them. People breed dogs so much that it makes them unhealthy (as you were saying, with the tumors and all) and then care for the puppies/dogs just enough to keep them alive, yet in terrible health. They use as few cages as possible and make them as small as possible just so they don't have to spend a lot of money. Then they sell the dogs/puppies. The people who do those kind of things-I can't find the words to describe them. They're sick, selfish, greedy, disgusting, and cheap. A person who really cares about the puppies (like a good breeder) makes sure their puppies/dogs are well fed and cared for; they get all their vacinations, get a good amount of space, and have enough food. Dogs/puppies have to be cared for properly. Like I said, they have feelings, too, in the sense that they have emotions, and also in the sense that they can feel pain and they don't like it. They want to be happy, well-cared for, and loved. Puppy mills: THEY ARE SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Hannah

contributor

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:02 pm
No!  Disgusting!!!!!!!!!:smileymad:  There's one word to describe this, and that is 'WRONG'.  I am an extreme animal lover and extreme protester against animal rights (see my Speak for the Squid article) and I am absulotly horrified!!!!!   Lets band together peeps, and save the DOOOOOOGS!!!!!  From the sick disgusting WRONG cruel evil PEOPLE!!!!!!:smileymad:

visitor

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm
First of all, thank you, gleeclub411, for bringing this into awareness. Second, thank you Oprah, for televising the injustice of puppy mills. Puppy mills are a very hushed subject. We know about them, and sometimes talk about them behind closed doors, but most people say "aww, sad" and forget about it. Puppy mills are what's happening now, and we should speak out to prevent them from spreading. It's just sick what people will do for money these days.

The always anti-pet shop,
                                                                                      Amata

regular_contributor

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 pm
*signs name* NICOLE. Bingo. I totally agree. Puppies should not be mistreated.

I read a chapter book from the Vet Volunteers series that was about a puppy mill. The book, if you were wondering and wanting to read it, is called "Fight for Life". It's very sad. And it says Puppy Mills are illegal, am I right? I almost cried when I read the book. Sick puppies...Oh man. I just wanted to go where the puppies were and scoop them in my arms. They were black labs and collies and a few others. Oh, it was so sad. The guy running the puppy mill got arrested. Serves him right!

Treat puppies how you want to be treated. Remember: they may not be humans, but they are living things. I'm pretty sure you understand. They're really cute, aren't they? :smileyhappy:

-Nicole-

Sun May 16, 2010 12:21 pm

so was i !! wasn't the puppy cute???? LOL!!!!!D!!!!!

new

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:03 am

i totally agree to what you have to say! I am a HUGE animal lover I even rescued a dog from a kill shelter on his last day and saved 2 stray dogs which now live happily with me. I would suggest if you want to stop all of this horrible stuff start by volunteering at kill shelters!! (...) but please give these dogs there a happy couple of last days!! make them look nice so someone can save their lives!!!! PLEASE!

contributor

Sun May 20, 2012 5:23 pm
Pretty sure Puppy Mills are illegal. Just sayin'. ~Jared

new

Thu May 24, 2012 7:41 pm
I watched the same thing and i said the same thing, aww, it is so cute!

new

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Count Me in that is so sad and cruel the should go to jail i will sign at anytime PlumSteak4

new

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 am
I learned about Puppy Mills a couple of years before, and I'm so glad that people, especially kids are trying to stop this horrible inhumane nonsense. Why? Why would anyone want to do this to animals. The truth is: it's all for the money! People don't want to spend money to provide proper care for animals when they breed, so they just use old, dangerous equiptment. Any of the animals you find in pet shops, like the ones in the mall come from puppy mills. So, if you can, try not to adopt from those places. Even though they are convienent, the puppies might seem SO cute, and they aren't too expensive, you can't support puppy mills. This just encourages this behaivor. Many people adopt from breeders. Breeders aren't too bad, if you don't want to adopt from an animal shelter. The only bad thing about breeders is that they are just bringing in more puppies to the world. These puppies are often later sent to shelters and have to be put down because of the overpopulation of puppies. So, I guess my bottom line is, it's so easy to adopt from a rescue group or an animal shelter. Most dogs come spayed or neutered and up to date on their shots. Like my friend said, "it's like recycling dogs." It's kind of like plastic. We have so much plastic in our world, so why do we make more when we can just recycle? -Abby I s u p p o r t the ★★★BE NICE MOVEMENT!★★★ C o p y and p a s t e this to your s i g n o f f to show your s u p p o r t. I love animals reading writing ice skating and skiing! My motto: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

new

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 pm
oh. my. gosh. i web-searched 'puppy mills' and the pictures made me want to cry. dogs have feelings too. what horrid person would want to run a puppy mill? poor puppies ;(

new

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 pm

You know what? My friend made a club called P.E.T.(protect environment together) and this TOTALLY fits under P.E.T. You wanna help? Join pet!!! Raise awareness!!! Have bake-sales to raise money for shelters!!! I'm totes signing my name!!!

~Your friendly nieghborhood vampire~

~Vamp~

P.S.

The other thing is puppy hoards-look into that its terrible!

new

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Never! They shouldn't be so cross with animals. What did animals do to them? My friend's family has a dog from such a puppy mill. He was terrible at first, and he couldn't walk. Only a few months later he became a nice polite beautiful dog.

- Passion

new

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 pm

So right! 

And do you know about parrots? People buy them, and when they move, they leave them, they give them back to shelters and more. If you want a parrot, Treat it carefully, it can live for DECADES!

And boas! People buy young, 6in to 1ft long boas, then, when they grow up to 6ft long (or more!) giants and eat whole rats for breakfast, people abandon them, leave them on the streets, take them to shelters and things, and more! 

I LOVE pets, but I think that we should be getting LESS pets, becuase at least 1/4 of them end up being abandoned or abused! 

Puppy mills are horrible. (...)

new

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 pm

There are some good articles about this at (..), but they are pretty graphic. HOW CAN HUMAN BEINGS BE SO CRUEL?! frown

new

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 pm

It's very sad to say, but people in this world are sick and evil. And I hate to say this, but there always will be. I have saved mice, birds, worms, bunnies, and any animal I can find from death. My dog was nearly sent to the mill, but we rescued him just in time. Unfortunately not everyone is like that. We all are living on this planet and we need to learn to share and look out for one another. I completely agree with you all and count me in. Nothing is going to change if no one tries to change things. If you truly believe in something, then do it. You can do anything you set your mind to. We are starting small, but we can take a stand. We just have to work together and unite as one,

Live, love, learn, dream, achieve, and believe! <3

-Lorna  (climbingmodest12)

new

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 am

OMG THANK GOD MOST OF IT HAS ENDED, BUT STILL I THINK IT'S STILL HAPPENING! PUT AN END TO IT ALREADY!!!!!

Alicia

new

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:43 pm

UGH! I hate puppy mills! They are cruel and evil!

I dont get that people would do this to innocent animals for money :(

HOW CAN THEY NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS!!!! UGH!!!!!!! I AM GONNA MAKE A PROTEST ABOUT THIS! WHO WANTS TI DO THE SAME THING WITH ME? PLEASE?

new

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 pm
I know it's a little late... But I am with you all the way!! Puppies didn't do anything to deserve such cruel treatment. I've also heard the mothers get put with awful fathers. They are dogs who are cruel and know how to get what they want! My friend had recently gotten a mother from a puppy mill and she had bite marks everywhere!! The puppies were fine but the mother died a few weeks later. I believe we CAN stop this from happening! Please talk to others about this and save these poor, defenseless, innocent dogs and puppies!! I want to help!! -BasketballAngel1666-

[ 32 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team