Reading Buzz Board

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 59 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 READATHON IS ON!
administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:48 pm
The Readathon will be starting in 10 minutes so get your books and snacks ready. I'm going to get a cup of tea and then I'll be back to officially open the STACKS Winter Reading Games Readathon! YAY!

Re: READATHON IS ON!
administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 pm
OK I'm back and ready to officially welcome you officially to the official Readathon, starting now! For the next 4 hours, we are going to try to read as much as possible, so have your book ready that you are going to read - if you don't have it already.

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:04 pm
Every hour during the Readathon, you can check this message thread where En-Szu and I will be cheering you on and giving you challenge questions to answer about your book. So let's get started with introductions.

Tell everyone three random things about yourself.

Is this your first readathon? 

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?) If you already told us in the last post, you don't have t to type it again:)

Do you have any specific snacks ready? 

Describe the place where you will be reading.
First sentence: Tell us the first sentence of the book you are reading. Does it make you want to keep reading?

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:13 pm
Here is my introduction:

Hi! I’m Sonja. 3 random things about myself are 1) I love tea. Oh my goodness I LOVE tea! 2) I have never read a Dork Diaries book even though everyone says they are so good. 3) I have 2 cats.

Is this your first readathon? Yes!

What book or books will you be reading today? What are your goals for today? (#of books or pages to read?) I will be reading Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So Graceful Princess. My goal is just to read as much as I can.

Do you have any specific snacks ready? I have a cup of tea and a big jar of chocolate candy.

Describe the place where you will be reading. I am reading in the sun room in my house. It’s nice and cozy, and um, sunny.
First sentence: “OMG! I have never been so EMBARRASSED in my entire life!!"
Does it make you want to keep reading? Yes, I want to find out what was so embarrassing!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:22 pm
My name is Scotland. I am twelve years old. This is my first Readathon and I will be reading in my room. The first sentence of the book i am reading is "Finn Whitman ran hard, then all the harder still, Donnie Maybeck by his side and keeping up."
DreamTimeDetermined14

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
<>
Albus Dumbledore

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm
Hi DreamtimeDetermined! Glad you're here!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:32 pm
Woohoo, Readathon!!! En-Szu here. I'm so excited! Here's my introduction: 3 random things about myself--I was born with six fingers on each hand (really!), I am obsessed with blue raspberry gummy bears (because they are the best), and I write in a diary every day. This is my first readathon. I will be reading Spirit Animals: Wild Born today! My goal is to read the whole book...we'll see :) I also have some tea at the ready and some super-tasty chocolate bars my friend from England sent me. I'm so ready! I'm reading in my bedroom. It's pretty messy because I have a lot of clothes...and should probably put them away! First sentence: "Given a choice, Conor would not have picked to spend the most important birthday of his life helping Devin Trunswick get dressed." I want to know why Devin can't dress himself. So yes, I do want to keep reading!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:34 pm
Hi! I'm artemismidnight42, more commonly known as Elle. Three random things about myself: 1) I love One Direction! 2) I act, and I just made a Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse movie. ( I was Thalia. :) 3) I love to read! Today I'll be reading Demigods and Monsters, and also The Serpent's Shadow, both by Rick Riordan. I hope to finish both of the books, and I hope that we all have lots of fun!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:36 pm
The first sentence in my book, The Serpent's Shadow: Sadie Kane here. If you're listening to this, congratulations! You survived Doomsday.

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:38 pm
Hi En-Szu!

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 pm
Hi ArtemisMidnight. I saw your comments on the blog and I wondered who Elle was. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm glad you're here!

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:01 pm
The first hour of the Readathon flew by! I'm on page 67 of my Dork Diaries book already! If you need a break from reading, here are a few challenge questions for you to respond to.
Post your favorite sentence from the page you are reading right now.
Acrostic. Use the letters of your name to spell characters or themes from your book. (i.e. S-Snape O-Occlumency N-Neville J- ? A-Aragog)
Writing Sprint: What if a major event in your book never happened? How would it change the story? i.e. If Percy Jackson never found out he was a half-blood, what would his life be like?

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm
Here are my answers.

Random Sentence from Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So Graceful Ice Princess
“On Christmas Eve, Santa Roach rises out of the pumpkin patch and gives out candy canes and toys to all of the good little boys and girls! And he squirts roach spray into the eyes of all the BAD kids.” This was spoken by Nikki’s younger sister who is hilariously misinformed about Christmas.
Acrostic. Use the letters of your name to spell characters or themes from your book.
S- skating
o- OMG
n- Nikki
j- jealous of MacKenzie
a- actually really funny
Writing Sprint: What if a major event in your book never happened? How would it change the story? If Nikki never volunteered to skate in the Holiday on Ice charity show . . . I don’t know yet, because the show hasn’t happened, but I have a feeling something really embarrassing is going to happen.

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:18 pm
S- Syndrome
C- Charlene
O- Overtakers
T- Terry
L- lost and found
A- Amanda
N- Norway
D- Disney

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 pm
Okay... The acrostic poem is about Sadie Kane: E- especially gaga over Walt and Anubis L- loopy! L- leader E- enthusiastic Writing Sprint: If Sadie and Carter never knew about the Egyptian gods, Doomsday would totally happen- and no one would survive. Mwa ha ha ha ha! :)

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:24 pm
Scotland, your book sounds so cool! What is it?

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 pm
Elle, your book sounds amazing too. Doomsday? Demigods? I am definitely adding Kane Chronicles to my to-be-read pile.

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:31 pm
My book is Kingdom Keepers Disney in Shadow.

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:35 pm
Yeah, sonjastacksstaffer! The Kane Chronicles is a great series!!

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:35 pm
Scotland, I just looked up your book, and that cover is FREAKY! I would be scared to go to Disney World after reading that book!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:37 pm
Just wondering... what is the prize? I mean, you totally don't need to have one, it seems the prize is just the fun, but a lot of people are questioning what the prize is?

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:44 pm
There is an actual prize if you win the Sweepstakes. You can enter here. Other than that, I will be announcing the "virtual medals" at the virtual medal ceremony next week. People who participate in the Readathon plus 3 Winter Reading Games events will win a virtual gold medal.

administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm
But, yeah, mostly the prize is fun - just to show your reading pride!

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm
Actually the books I'll be reading is the second Harry potter, the third dork diaries, the first goosebumps and the sixth thirty nine clues

new

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:09 pm
Yeah!!! We've made it to hour 3! I don't know about you, but I think I could use a change of scenery. Let's change our location! Change your reading location to someplace different, unusual, or just somewhere you've never read before. The closet, bathtub, outside (if it's not too cold!)--anyplace is fair game! Writing Sprint: Setting Switcheroo. Imagine the story in a different time period or place. How would it be different? Would it still be as good? MAD LIBS TIME! Enter words from the passage you are on right now into this madlib... Help! I'm being held captive in the [PLACE] by [NAME]! It is very [ADJECTIVE] here! He is demanding [NAME] toset me free! I have just discovered that [NAME] was captured too! On second thought, please send [NOUN] and don't worry if you don't hear from us from a while!

[ 59 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team