Post Work in Progress for Peer Review

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 3 posts ] Average score:  
 Some help with names

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:15 am

So this isn't help with names of people. It's help with names of religions. I have several human-like species, and there are a few that have religions. One species has several, but I need a couple names for them. I have the names for three: Dununnin, Ceresian, and Trinitarian/Pentatarian (depending on the area). The two I need help for with this species are one with two deities: Earth-Mother and Sky- Father, which is extremely nature-based, and one with a seven-deity pantheon, which is focused on imagination and perception.

The other species has a single religion with several sects, but I only need a base name. The creation story basically goes: The One created a perfect world and on this world lived two perfect people, a man and a woman. Neither of them were bad in any way. The One fell in love with the woman and tempted her, but she would not betray the man. The One forced her into *that* (can't word it any other way or mods will hurt me), and got impregnated her with his children. (...) So that. Thanks in advance, I suppose.

Re: Some help with names

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 am

A good idea for coming up with names in a situation like this is to look to history! There are so many famous mythologies and ancient languages out there that you can use to great names that are both cool and meaningful. The main one you might want to work with is Latin or Greek, but Gaelic or something else with a real long history could also be helpful. Try Google Translate or BabyNames, something like that, to figure out where to start.

Good luck!

Adult Mentor for Scholastic's Write It!

Re: Some help with names

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:28 am

So, I did a little research for you, and I hope this helps!

So "Gaia" is the greek goddess that literally is "mother earth" in greek mythology. Similarly, "Zues" is "father sky". I don"t know if that is too straight forward, or too "Percy Jackson", but I found some other names that mean similar things in different languages/religions.

Mother Earth -

Artemis (also greek, less known. goddess of hunting, wild animals, childbirth, virginity)

Father Sky-

Apollo (also greek. sun god, associated with poetry and literature.) 

Hope this helps!

[ 3 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team