Reading Buzz Board

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 16 posts ] Average score:  
 Something to think about- benefits of the boards
frequent_contributor

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:13 am
So my mom and I have been having this constant bickering war that I spend too much time on the computer basically since I was in 5th grade, around the time I started on the Stacks. And I was thinking that even though my mom thinks the detriments out weight the benefits, I don't think she could be any more wrong. Here's why:

Let's just say before I was exposed to something as crazy as talking to strangers on the internet I was an uncultured and closeted as a child as someone could get (well, almost). Something these boards did was introduce me to people around the world, living in different countries, of different religions, different social backgrounds, and that's great because where I come from the population is 88.3% white as of 2012, so I've literally never come across anyone more diverse than a few exchange students or the occasional out of state newcomer. Do you know how big of a thing that is for me? Imagine for a second if you never discovered the internet, never met new people, and never cultured yourself any more thoroughly. I bet I've talked to more diverse people than my grandparents have, and I'm guessing as generations go on, everyone will accept every minority and people who are different than them.

Another thing the Stacks did for me was introduce me to, well, the internet basically. I learned about all other types of social network through exploring and found communities I enjoyed being in because of it. I'm kind of a social media hound now XD If I could I would friend all of you on different sites because I love mixing everything up when it comes to internet groups.

Finally, it made me the fastest typer my entire high school, well probably not but at least for my class. Because these forums rely so heavily on typing I basically taught myself to type in a quick efficient way and I've been a stellar typer since 5th grade. How many of you can say you type 75+wpm on a good day? I can because my tests prove it! My mom is wrong in the fact that the internet makes you dumber, I've only gotten more intelligent from being on here. This place is meant not only to just say hey to people and talk, but to learn and have discussions and debates about thing, and to WRITE! This place is one of two reasons why I'm so into writing nowadays. Oh plus, this place made me learn HTML! I can customize complicated blog themes just by looking at the plain html text now, its no foreign language anymore, I am a kid of the future!

Those are all the pros I have, and the cons my mom lists don't really even apply. Like the fact that I swap real life friends for internet friends is completely wrong. I love my internet friends like you all rock, but I. Have. A. Social. Life. Seriously! I'm an extrovert! I like talking to people and hanging out and I'm enrolled in clubs and extra curricular like drama and golf and I'm a 4.0 student, so there is literally no effect the Stacks has had on me being successful life besides positive ones!

Just wanted to get that out! How has the Stacks benefited you? Pros and cons?

Re: Something to think about- benefits of the boards

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:03 pm
What a great message! That really made my day. I'm glad the STACKs has meant so much to you. Glad to have you here. :)

new

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm
Let´s see...

Pros:
+got me so obsessed with THG that I decided to write this long portfolio-thing that I have to do for school about it
+I learned so much about THG that when we read the first book in English and the teacher put us into teams and made a quiz, I won easily and impressed my teacher to no end. Most of the quiz went like this: Teacher: "Who knows what Katniss did while Rue was dying?" Other teams: "Umm...something with singing?" ME: "Katniss sang her a lullaby that she remembered from when she was small! Do you want to hear it? Deep in the meadow, under.." Teacher: "Um, yeah...it´s fine, you get the point!" Me: *goes on giving details*
+when I feel lonely or argue with my friends IRL, I know that I have another whole world of friends online!
+as you said, it helped me find out more about other cultures
+I met loads of inspirational people
+if I hadn´t found the Stacks, I wouldn´t have found loads of other websites that are huge parts of my life now (mostly thanks to you, Twinks :P)
+When I was little, I used to write stories a lot. Then I stopped and it was the WriteIt boards and Sunny´s poetry that inspired me to write poems
+it´s helped me know about trends way before they become popular where I live xD
+taught me a lot about the internet (html, internet safety, forum courtesy, all that stuff)

Cons:
-took up a crazy ammount of time
-still takes up some time
-got me Internet-obsessed (although, if it weren´t for the Stacks, I´d probably be addicted to weird computer games, so this is definitely better!)
-made me sad/angry at times

And to think that if I hadn´t started registering on random websites one summer when I was bored none of this would have happened...!

-Super Susi

contributor

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 am
When I joined the STACKS back in the fifth grade, I was like you. I was very quiet, very shy, and I didn't stand up for myself. However, once I stated receiving positive comments on my stories and on my general posts, I gained confidence. I stood up to bullies, and challenged myself more often. The STACKS boosted my self esteem. Actually, if it weren't for the STACKS, I may not be at the school I am, or have the friends I have. I would have never joined this club at my school, Creative Writing Club, and improved. In fact, I may not have become a writer at all.
The STACKS have also helped me in typing! I used to do this thing my teacher's called "chicken pecking" because you type by pecking at the keyboard one letter at a time. I have become so much better with a keyboard since I joined three years ago.
I have also made so many friends through the STACKS! Even though I may never meet any of you in real life, you all have supported me through some of my toughest times. I am proud to call all of you my friends, especially those I have known since the beginning, like TheaterChik, Hippolyte, Twinktoes, Mod Katie, and so many others.
I'm running out of battery on my computer, but I will finish this message later! I have so many more pros! You all have no idea how much you and the STACKS mean to me!

new

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:52 pm
I agree with Katie, this is a super great message!
I first started coming on the stacks in 2006 when I was nine years old. Oh my gosh, I am so glad that those messages aren't around anymore because I don't think I could read even one without cringing uncontrollably and closing out the page! But I definitely think the boards have helped me learn a lot since then! I remember that there used to be a couple of Australian girls on the (now gone) Allie Finkle board that I used to talk to for ages and it was so cool because it's not really everyday I get to exchange stories with someone on the other side of the world! And even now, there's people from all over the place and kids of all ages and that's the coolest.
I agree that the pros of the internet outweigh the cons and I think a lot of the time it's all about time management! The web is a fantastic tool as long as people use it in moderation and get involved with school and clubs and sports and friends as well!
Have a good day! I hope your mom begins to understand what a special place this is:)
Jazzy-.-Belle

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:14 pm
I can type 75 words per minute! That's actually like really close to whatever my score was when I took it junior year. haha But the boards benefitted me because I discovered how much I love to help other people. I am always heartbroken when other people are unsatisfied with themselves because I think every person in the world is brilliant. I love to give advice and I have a real burden for girls and the things they go through since I've been on the STACKS. (it still feels weird to call it "the STACKS" to me even though I was around when that name was coined lol) But yeah, they really helped me find my calling in life, and I don't know how God is gonna use me through it, but I wanna help young girls perhaps by writing devotions, or writing more songs like I have been. I dunno, but I'm excited to figure it out. :)

new

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:20 pm
You, my friend, are 100% correct.
I have become one of the fastest typists in my class, too! ^_^

~DesertChief19

contributor

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 pm

I totally agree that being on the Stacks has made me a faster typer! :) My friends and I got into this speed typing competition thing last year and I GOT SECOND PLACE (my friend got 1st but it's like totally unfair because she's like on the internet 24/7 :P)

~Lestria

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:33 pm
twinktoes87- Scholastic loved your message, too. They're going to put it in their blog!!! I'll let you know when they do. Nice job!

frequent_contributor

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:04 pm
@Katie: Really!?!? That's so cool tell them I said thank you! :D That actually makes me really happy. This place does mean a lot to me, so for them to recognize that makes my opinion of this place ten times stronger! The Stacks should be recognized more as a place of education, certainly looks like it taught me and a bunch of other people plenty of great things.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:09 am
@Jazzy-.-Belle: Oh gosh I actually cried my eyes out when they took all the old messages off! They had them archived for the longest time and I'd go back and look at them sometimes. I miss the old days so much. And I remember who you're talking about--Jess (EmmaFan911) was one of my best friends on here and I miss her so so so much. I had friends from all over here. Jubilee (iluvdavidcook) was my best board friend ever and she was from Canada, and there was a girl from the Philippines I think, and from Britain and from all over the US. It was the coolest thing to get to know about all different kinds of people.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 am
I do actually agree with your mom a little bit, the internet can be dumb if you talk to the wrong people or go to the wrong websites but if you use it correctly your right, it can be very helpful. Even before I started using the stacks I went on online worlds which improved my typing. Then I started role-playing with my sister on the computer using chats which improved my typing even more, not to mention writing helped a lot. Not to mention chatting and typing helped me with grammar and spelling. Though overall I think that it's alright to spend a couple of days without a computer, your eyes can get strained if you use it for too long so going outside can be helpful too. :D PS: Wrote this post in two minutes 45 seconds or so, with lots of pauses ;)

frequent_contributor

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 pm
I remember the Allie Finkle boards! They had them for quite awhile when I was on the Stacks. Unfortunately I wasn't the most devoted user on there... back then there were enough boards that you actually had some choices to make on where you wanted to talk. Not anymore though, too bad really since the communities back then were all so different but great in their own ways!

visitor

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 pm
OMG Thanks. Like you, my social networks started on the STACKS. Some of my best friends (Lion, I've not talked to you in 1000000 years. Get on here.) I met online.
I have some of a social life, but I don't have many friends irl. :( But I am gonna do Drama and Choir. :D

new

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 pm
@deathyhallows: Yes! I miss the Allie Finkle boards and all of the beautiful people that would post on there so so much!! Dang, I really took for granted how close we all were.
Now that you mention her name, I remember EmmaFan911! She played netball, right?! And I remember iluvdavidcook as well because I remember thinking her name was the absolute coolest haha!
I hope college is going super well for you!:)
Jazzy-.-Belle

regular_contributor

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:47 am
This post gave me the warm fuzzies. Because a, I remember you from my oldie stacks days (do you remember me? I don't know if you do. But I'm Maggie, and I posted on A Dog's Life board a lot) and you are almost exactly like me. My Internet addiction began unfortunately young. I was 10 when it began. I joined the STACKS about ten months after it began and I realized I really loved the internet because of this website. This website has given me so many memories. I'm glad I still think of this place from time to time. This place really made me realize what the world out there is like. I was a crazy (oh my goodness, if you don't remember how I was like in 2009, I was whacko. lol) eleven year old girl obsessed with warrior cats (still have partial interest in them, but I don't read them anymore). I was very antisocial IRL at the time. I kind of found my personality here, and I'm way less caps-locky, and crazy now. But hey, people change for the best of ways. ;) I'm 15 now and still love the internet! And have a really great social life now, and I'm active in a few sports and clubs. Sorry this was long, but this website really brings a lot of nostalgia back for me :) and you can obviously tell I still type long stuff...I'm working on that, haha

[ 16 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team