Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Re: @songbird49
new

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks!!! :D

contributor

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Huge congrats on Nanowrimo!!! *jazz hands* 30,000 words in 5 days??? you are INSANE WOW :o What was your story about?

Yup, my lab partner during the summer, and it's also really nice that we can talk (read: complain) to each about college stuff since we're both seniors. My early came out a week ago and I was deferred, sadly. :( I cried a little at school, which was embarrassing because I hate crying in front of people, but one of my best friends was there for me, which was really nice. I'm so bogged down by regular apps right now, but thinking about Christmas and winter break (which starts in 2 days for me) and JANUARY 15 (the date of my last college app) makes me feel better.

Speaking of Christmas, I feel like this holiday season/winter in general has really sneaked up on me?? I remember I used to countdown in previous years and admire the lights and watch Christmas movies and wish for snow...this year I'm just like huh?? Christmas is in less than a week? I blame the college apps honestly. I can't even really look forward to winter break because I have to do an essay a day, which will be stressful. Some of my college friends are coming back and are hosting this Christmas party/hangout, but I don't know whether I should go, I feel like I would feel too guilty every minute I'm not working on college apps lol.

Thanks for the virtual love and hugs and baked goods, I appreciate them a lot <3333 And tell me about your winter break/Christmas plans, anything fun?

Ah, back to the classics, I see? :D I just looked up The Handmaid's Tale and it sounds really interesting. I have a vague book list in the back of my head and Lord of the Rings and the Foundation series (sci-fi) are at the top. I remember I started Lord of the Rings once but never finished because I got bored LOL, but I want another go at it since it's such a classic and there are so many inside jokes/references to it everywhere that I never understand. :(

I mostly just toured Disney (the workplace not the amusement park, sadly)/Dolby and talked to the engineers/animation designers who worked there, which was super cool. I also did some sightseeing in LA with my dad haha. I think I prefer New York because it's more busy/cluttered, but I loooove the palm trees in LA, they are so funny looking!

Haha, glad everything worked out with your Christmas tree! :P My family has never had a tree actually, because honestly we're all lazy bums, but I've always been a little envious of how people in movies/books make ornaments and how homely/cozy the whole process looks. It's been getting colder here, but it only snowed once and was only a few inches -- I'm hoping for some more snow over the next 2 weeks and I'll be cozying in my room around my computer with a mug of tea and MY COLLEGE APPS. I would be somewhat content with that scenario. :P

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Agghhhh... I'm sorry it took me longer than usual to approve your message- I've had family in town! Sorry!!

contributor

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:02 pm

@Katie: It's no problem, don't worry about it!! Hope you had a great time with family :)

new

Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Happy New Years Eve Eve!! How are your holidays going? :)

Thanks!! Lol and I mean, they were probably a pretty crappy 30,000 words, but...they worked. xD My story is  kind of about a shadow who wants to become a real, corporeal person, and so takes different components from real people in order to try to achieve this goal. And the main character is this girl who has her memory stolen and it's about how she has to defeat the shadow and get it back? Idk, that's not a very good description, and, exciting as this idea felt back at the beginning of November, I'm starting to wonder if it's a little stupid now...xD

Awww, I'm sorry about your early app. :(  *a million hugs* (why are these stupid computer screens in the way, I want to reach out and hug you for real) But it was just your first app, and I'm sure everything will all turn out okay!! And of course, remember you can always rant at me if you ever want to because I love you. <3 But anyway it's only December now, and your winter break sounds stressful, but you're SO CLOSE to finishing everything! You can do it!!!

Haha, I felt like that about winter break the last couple of years, too, and this year actually has been really nice because I feel like I finally have been able to be fully appreciating the holidays again? And aww, I believe in you, you can kill those essays! But just one thing (if your holiday party isn't over yet) is that I would recommend going if you can spare any time at all? Just because one thing I've been noticing now is that it gets harder and harder to meet up with friends after you all start going off to college. Like, when I was a senior, it was like my college friends came back over break and it wasn't too hard to meet up, but now this year, everyone in my grade is at college too and there are just so many more people to keep in touch with without seeing each other all the time, and it just all feels so scattered and it makes it harder to see as many people. This has been saddenning me lately actually lol, the thought of how some of my less close friends are drifting away. I guess because i'm not even in college yet and making new friends like they all are, it stands out more to me? Idk, I just feel all icky and melancholy about it. Anyway, yeah! I think you should go to the party, if just for a little while! Especially if you're doing an essay a day, you'll need a break at some point.

My Christmas was pretty good! I have been meeting up with more of my friends in the past couple of weeks which has been a lot of fun, and we went sledding one day which was wonderful, because I don't think I had time to do anything fun and wintery last year! What are your plans (besides essays:P)? Did you do anything fun for the holidays? (Also, LOL, I always get jealous of all those holday scenes in books and movies too. XD)

Aaah, Lord of Rings, that happened with me too!! Though I mean, I did like it while I was reading it, but then I left off for a bit for some reason, and then after that I always felt too lazy to ever try getting into it again. But I want to. Like you said, there are just so many references to it all over the place and some of my friends love it so much that I feel like it must be worth another go.

Good luck with life and college apps and winter and everything, and remember to give yourself a break sometimes, too, and relax a little so you don't get too stressed out!! And have a great New Years! :D

contributor

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:01 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! can't believe it's actually 2017, like I've seen this number creeping up on me from the beginning of high school but now it's here and I'm actually going to be graduating high school this year. Wow.

Your story concept sounds REALLY COOL, it's something I would definitely pick up and read if I skimmed the blurb in the bookstore. I love the idea of someone taking other people's memories/identities. Sometimes I feel that when I'm talking to different people, I kind of adopt their personality and talk/react differently, so I would love to read a book where someone is doing that more intensely/physically.

I'm more accepting of my deferral right now, but I feel like I'll always be a little bitter. Especially because some of my classmates got accepted and I can't really complain because all of them are nice and smart and have amazing extracurriculars and they definitely deserve it. Also my close friend got accepted and we have really similar interests/extracurriculars except he's won more awards and has more leadership stuff, so it's been hard for me to figure out how to act around him. I'm happy for him, but I also really don't want to talk about college with him and I avoided him the first few days after results because I didn't want to be reminded of my own deferral and he was super understanding about it, but now it's kind of awkward anyway and I feel bad and I don't know how to talk to him anymore ughhhhh. But hopefully we can patch up after break??

Anyway, the good news is that my apps are mostly done! I have some scholarships to fill out, but after January 15, I'll mostly be done?? and I can finally go ice skating and get yummy food with my friends JK I HAVE MIDTERMS AFTER but 2nd semester is coming up and THEN the fun will begin, right? :D

I missed the holiday party, but I did go out to eat with my relatives yesterday and it was relatively nice (aside from the college convo meh) and my cousin gifted me a book!! eep i'm such a nerd when it comes to book gifts. She told me that she remembered I said last year that I really liked short stories (and I was so touched that she remembered omg) and she got me a collection called Paper Menagerie AND I FREAKED WHEN I SAW IT BECAUSE ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS HAD SHOWN ME THE TITULAR STORY A FEW WEEKS BEFORE!! it's online if you want to look it up! (Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu, it's a short but sad piece, my friend recommended it to me saying "you should read this I think you'll cry") I love book coincidences ahhh it's like a double present because I adore coincidences and I love books hehe. Did you get any cool presents/coincidences/BOOKCOINCIDENCES? :D

Also I hear you about cherishing the time I have left with my friends. :'( I'm gonna miss seeing their ridiculous faces in the hallway every morning and eating lunch together wahhh. We made this bucket list in middle school of things we have to do and there's like 100 things on that list LOL hopefully we can get through some over 2nd semester and the summer? Also we talked about doing a cruise/vacation together which would be so so so fun, but we haven't planned anything yet.

Wish I could go sledding!! sadly there is a lack of snow this year. I did go ice skating with my brother and my thighs were so sore for 2 days after that I could barely lift my legs up. :( I need more exercise sigh. Also I wanna do more ice skating I love it so much.

I started Lord of the Rings! But I'm on like page 82 right now so I have a long way to go. It's slow in some parts and I don't care for descriptions of hills lolol, but the plot is exciting and I can't wait to get to the famous lines (thou shalt not pass!!!!) and hopefully understand all the references that have been plaguing me all these years. :P

HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT START TO 2017!!! sending you much love <3333

new

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:36 am

NO I JUST TYPED OUT A SUPER LONG POST AND THEN I HIT PREVIEW AND IT DISAPPEARED :o I don't really know why I'm posting this instead (I feel the need to vent lolol where did it goooo :'( ) but I will be back and retype it tomorrow (today?) since it's 2am now. :( Or maybe I'll wait and see if it somehow submitted by accident? I'M SO SORRY

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm so sorry!!!! 

new

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 am

Okay I'm back, sorry, I was just feeling super lazy about retyping. :/ But HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! Hope your first month of 2017 has been going well so far!! Ooh and it wasn't when I typed this out before, but IT'S NOW PAST THE 15TH AND YOU ARE DONE WITH COLLEGE APPS SO YAY CONGRATULATIONS! :D And has your second semester started yet because yesssss that should really be so much less stressful, at least as far as schoolwork goes!

Ahh, thank you! I definitely agree with you on the adopting other people's personalities a little bit thing, because I'm pretty sure I do that too. And I feel like I do it even more obviously when I'm like texting or something because the amount of grammar/punctuation I use and just the way I type definitely kind of changes depending on who I'm texting. xD But also, speaking of my story, aghhh, help me find the motivation to continue it pleeeeeaaaase because I actually really want to but I'm just drowning in a complete and total lack of motivation (can you be drowning in lack of a thing? lol) and I can't seem to make myself writtttte. D:

Aww yeah, I get what you mean about your deferral. :( I know that feeling. But you won't always be bitter! Really! You'll just be bitter until you actually get in somewhere else that's so amazing that wherever you applied to early won't seem so important anymore! *So many hugs* But at least all that college stuff's over with for a couple of months at least? (Also aww, I'm sorry about what happened with your friend. :( Has it gotten better by now? I'm sure things will be less awkward once all the buzz about decisions dies down and it's not on everybody's (including you and your friend's!) minds anymore/maybe this has already happened and I'm just late with this. :P But I hope it works out/has worked out!)

Omg I looked up and read Paper Menagerie and it's SO SAD but also so good!! Hehe book gifts/bookcoincidences are the best, but sadly I did not get either of them. My mom did get me and my sister the Hamilton Mixtape though(!!), so I was pretty happy. XD

Your bucket list sounds awesome! What kinds of things are on it, besides a cruise (which sounds super fun!)? Lol a couple of my friends and I have a very vague plan that we've been talking about since middle school that involves going backpacking together after we finish college. xD Sigh, I've been missing my friends a lot lately, though it was great seeing a lot of them in the last month during all their winter breaks. I've also just been kind of missing being around lots of people on a regular basis like in school lol because it's starting to get kind of boring just being at home all the time. Though I've started taking a few online classes which are interesting although ugh it was kind of a struggle forcing myself to do that kind of work again. xD I've also started learning to drive (yes I know, I am really late at driving. :lol: But I've had my permit for quite a while now, I just never...started learning to actually do anything?) But now I am, which I guess is a good thing. Though honestly, driving kind of terrifies me lol.

Anyway, have you had snow yet? All our snow has been melting the past few days, but I think there's supposed to be more soon. And ice skating's so much fun, i should go sometime, I haven't done it in ages!!

Ooh nice about Lord of the Rings!! How's it going? I still haven't started re-trying it, but I just finished Slaughterhouse Five, which I've been meaning to read forever because everyone always says it's amazing, and it was really good! Oh, and remember I told you some time ago about finally reading Cinder? Well, now I've finally also read Scarlet, and I reeeeeally want to finish the series now because it was so interesting!!

Hope you are doing well and sending so much love back at you <3 <3 <3

(Ps I feel like this is shorter than what I'd originally written, but I can't think what I might have left out D:)

contributor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:14 am

Sorry your initial post disappeared!! :( Hope it wasn't super inconvenient to retype!

I peeked back at our first posts and can you believe it's almost been 3 years since we first started talking?? #june30 #savethedate #3yearanniversary :'D

I'm so happy to be done with college apps (altho I'm thinking about maybe maybe applying to an international school bc I'm masochistic jk in all seriousness, I'm feeling unsettled by the current political climate and I'm thinking about maybe going abroad for the next 4 years? But argh I don't know how I would live by myself in a different country, away from my family, and have to adjust to the customs in addition to coursework. Plus the school I'm looking at is in Singapore and you have to apply directly into a major/program and I'm pretty sure it's difficult to switch, and I'm not that firmly decided on my career plans yet.)

(That was a really long parenthetical note oops I have a bad habit of overusing parentheses)

First semester actually unofficially ended today for me!! I finished my last midterm yesterday, and I have Monday and Tuesday off next week, and then second semester starts on Wednesday! I'm so relieved. After I submitted my last college app (last American college at least), I had a week before midterms hit and so instead of being stressed about apps, I became stressed about keeping my grades up and doing well on my midterms. But after calculating and recalculating my grades lol, I'm feeling relatively confident for my report card. 

I'm not sure I'm the best person to get writing advice from, since I haven't written anything for fun in ages, but reading always inspires me to write? I've started borrowing books from my school library again -- I just finished Hillbilly Elegy which was really really good and I'm reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid right now, which I actually started about a year ago but never finished before I had to return it to the library. I also read a lot of really powerful, well-written essays in my Advanced Essay Writing class (which was very fun despite the boring name), and reading good fiction always inspires me to try out other people's techniques/styles and develop my own story that can emotionally connect to others the same way I'm connected to my favorite stories. Also, something that helps me when I have writer's block is to re-outline my plot/characters again because I find that when I'm unmotivated, it's because my plot is starting to drag or I'm bored by my own characters, so maybe try playing around with plot points?

Btw I GOT INTO MY FIRST COLLEGE! It was one of my targets, and my parents weren't that impressed lol, but I really like the school and I would feel happy going there. I'm also really relieved that I have an acceptance hehe. Also things are going back to normal with my friend! I feel like he's being a little more careful than usual not to accidentally upset me with anything lolol, and I tend to dart out of group convos about college with him, but I feel like we'll be okay. :)

Omg Hamilton!!! Did we ever discuss this?? I've listened to the whole soundtrack multiple times with just pure awe at Lin-Manuel Miranda's genius ahhh. I don't even like rap that much, but I love the soundtrack, and I love how it's making history as basically the first Broadway musical successfully incorporating hip-hop/rap.

Lol the bucket list contains realistic stuff like karoake and prankcalling and having a sleepover/movie marathon...and then it also has things like having a tea party?? Making a lemonade stand??? Going to a FARM???? LOL Backpacking sounds so fun omg! Think of all the good/bad/funny memories you could make with your friends :')

I haven't even gotten my learner's permit ahaha, even though I should for college because who knows whether I'll end up in a city or the middle of nowhere.

There was a proper snowfall about a week ago! But since then, nada. :(

Omg my friend was just telling me today about how she wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five because it was such a classic!! I hadn't heard of it before today lol. Was the plot fast-paced? I should also read Winter, the last book of Cinder, but I barely remember the characters anymore, sadly (although I do remember the romance between the protagonist and the prince heehee).

This post is so long/scattered sorry!

new

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:27 pm

hi whats up my name is birdart

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi birdart! Do you like to paint/draw/sculpt bird art?

new

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 am

So what you said inspired me to look through the first page of this and awwww :') I can't believe that was almost three years ago!!  I overused smiley faces even more then than I do now. :lol: Also lol I love how our posts used to be, like, paragraph length and now they're these super huge blocks of text. Ahhh June 30th, 3 year anniversary omg <33333

OMG CONGRATS ON GETTING INTO COLLEGE!!! Hahaaa, I remember that happened for me, too, where when I got into the first college I got into which was a safety (albeit one I liked quite a bit), I felt so relieved like, no matter what, I will go to college now and my parents just didn't see it as a big deal because it wasn't anything they hadn't expected lol. Also yay, I'm glad it worked out with your friend!

Ooh I super admire you if you're considering going abroad for college! Like, I'd never be able to do it because ahhh I'm feeling really nervous about leaving home even just for a neighbouring state, I don't think I would be able to handle being that far away, especially in a country that I didn't know anything about. But it sounds like such a cool thing to do, and I'm sure it would be an awesome experience! Though yeah, I feel like having to apply directly into a major would be a problem for colleges in a lot of countries (at least in Asia??); some of my cousins in India had to kind of choose programs/tracks all the way back in eleventh grade and I could just never do that because I kind of have no idea what I want to do with my life. :lol:

(And haha, I used to have this habit of nesting parentheses inside parentheses--even though I think you're supposed to use brackets and other thingies inside, if you have to, right? maybe?--and i would just have these gigantic paragraphs that ended with three or four parentheses)

Yay for finishing first semester!! I hope you have a really relaxing and enjoyable second one! :grin:

And yeahhh, reading is pretty good advice to get inspired to write, so thank you :) Ooh what is Hillbilly Elegy about? I enjoy that title lol. I've also been reading a lot because now I actually have time for it, and I feel like I will have no time to read anything not for class once college starts so better get as many books in as possible while I still can. :lol: My favourite book I've read recently is a fantasy novel called The Rithmatist, that I expected to like, but kind of surprised me by how much I ended up absolutely loving it. I've also been reading The Pickwick Papers, which is funny, but sometimes how outright stupid almost all of the characters are just reaches ludicrous levels. I mean, I know they're supposed to be, but at times it just gets a bit much. Also, like basically every book I've read by Dickens, it has parts that just seem unnecessarily long and dragging and meh. :/ But still, all in all, I think I like it, at least so far. Oh, and someone recently gave me Infinite Jest, which yay because I've really been wanting to read for a long time, but also kind of not?? This quite possibly makes absolutely no sense because I do want to read it and it sounds interesting, but also it's supposed to be super unreadable and hard to understand and just thinking about it makes me feel lazy lol.

Slaughterhouse Five was good! I guess it was kind of fast-paced? It certainly wasn't slow--Kurt Vonnegut seems to have a really kind of pared-down writing style, like there weren't any extraneous or flowery words at all. I guess the thing I found most interesting was the way it played with chronological order to such a huge extent while still somehow making the transitions seem almost seamless. I still need to get my hands on Cress, it's always checked out at the library, argh! But haha, Cinder and Kai's romance is one of my favourites, though i guess it doesn't get a lot of time in Scarlet so i'm mostly going off what happens in Cinder. :razz:

Aaaah, Hamilton <3 I don't think we've discussed it already, but even if we have, I am always ready to discuss Lin-Manuel Miranda lol. I agree with everything you just said about it so much!! I don't usually listen to rap at all, but every song in Hamilton is just such pure brilliance ahhh, and I've definitely listened to the soundtrack many times over. I wish I could see it so badlyyyyy!

Ha, your bucket list sounds siriusly amazing. I want to have a tea party! Or a lemonade stand! That's just one of those things you feel like a lot of people do/hear/read about people doing (even though I don't think I've actually ever seen many lemonade stands around lol) and they always make me want to. :lol:

Haha, that's why I'm learning to drive right now too--even though I'll be in the middle of a city and also probably won't have access to a car, it just seems like a skill I should know before leaving home.

Wow sorry for the long book rant up there, I hope it's not too long! What's going on in your life now that it is no longer taken over by college apps??

contributor

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:54 am

I'm on February break right now, but can't believe it's almost halfway over. D: I got to hang out with a lot of my friends though because a lot of their birthdays are in February and it's been so nice relaxing and trying new food places with people. Today we went to this restaurant that specializes in brunch and got yummy blueberry pancakes, tomorrow we're going to a sushi buffet (love sushi!!), and Saturday my family and I are going out for Korean bbq! my belly is happy :P

Hillbilly Elegy is a memoir, which I usually don't read, but this one was recommended to me by two different people so I felt obligated to read it. :P It presents the values/tradition + struggles of the poor white working class in rural America and even though I feel like I didn't learn anything factually that I didn't know from reading the news + history class, I felt a lot more empathy after reading the book. I want to read more nonfiction in general, but I also already have a long reading list that I need to make my way through. D:

Ooh, I also have been meaning to read more fantasy. Have you heard of the Three-Body Problem? It's this sci-fi/fantasy novel written by a Chinese author (translated recently into English) and it won a bunch of awards and a lot of my friends have been buzzing about it.

I definitely know what you mean about Dickens being unnecessarily long/dragging sometimes. I remember reading the abridged version of Great Expectations in elementary school (like you know those editions for kids where all the hard words are taken out and you basically just get the bare bones of the plot) and I enjoyed it so much that I borrowed the original from the library...and after forcing myself through half of it, I finally gave up. I did end up reading all of it later for an English class, but I feel like I prefer the abridged elementary school version tbh because the plot was more fast-paced lol.

Wow, I've definitely heard of the infamous reputation of Infinite Jest...good luck. :lol: It does sound appealing as a challenge, but I feel like I would also give up after a page or so.

My friends and I have been talking a lot about starting a book club and I think we might actually do it. We already agreed on a book (Eviction by Matthew Desmond) and I think it'll be really fun to read together because there's only four of us and it'll be informal/cozy. I've never actually had a book club before :')

I watched my first Korean drama this break hehe. My friends have been obsessing over Descendants of the Sun for the longest time and I figured since I had the time, I might as well check it out -- it was really good in a trashy TV sort of way :P Definitely a good way to relax after college apps. I also like how Korean dramas conclude in about 20 episodes generally -- so like equivalent to 1 season of an American show -- which makes me less hesitant about starting and finishing one. Have you watched any dramas before?

[ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

PRS © 2008 PRS Team