Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Re: @songbird49
contributor

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:31 am

also I have a diary too! except no one knows shhhh. :D I've been keeping one since 2nd grade when I think I read a book where this girl kept a diary. I think I'm up to my 6th/7th diary right now. ^-^

new

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Hey! :grin: Phew, I feel like I haven't replied to you in forever, so sorry about that! It's mostly school, and, on top of that, NaNo (I've already gotten behind, even though my goal for this year is only 30,000! But I'm slowly inching my way back to catching up and being on track again. :lol:

Also, yay, we've reached a second page! :grin:

And also, Happy Really Really Late Birthday!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: *gives virtual cake of your favourite kind* :lol:

I love Milky Way, too! And Twix! And like, chocolatey candy with interestingly different fillings inside! And chocolate in general. I've been eating a lot of candy lately because almost no one came to our house trick-or-treating this year. Which is strange, because there are lots of little kids around, and most years, we get so many. Oh, well, more for me. :lol:

Ooh, essay writing! That's awesome! I used to always think that all essays were boring, but lately I've been finding out that what constitutes an essay is a lot broader than I'd previously thought, and there are actually some really interesting-sounding essays you can write. What kind are you writing now? (If you're writing any now) 

Haha, I have a few friends who are really obsessed with Korean pop, too, but I don't know, I've never actually gotten into it.

Oh, the library...I haven't actually finished all that many of the books I took out a couple weeks ago. But I am reading this book right now called The Amulet of Samarkand (by uhh, Jonathan Stroud? Maybe?) that I really like. It is just fast-paced and detailed and interesting and funny, too! Lately, I've read a lot of books that all seemed kind of similiar, so I've really been appreciating this one for being original. :wink: What about you? Have you started reading anything yet? TELL ME ABOUT IT, I LOVE BOOK DISCUSSIONS!! :mrgreen:

And yay! You have a diary, too? Almost no one I know has one! I started in sixth grade, I think, and I'm on my third one. I also got interested in keeping one after reading a bunch of books with people keeping diaries. It just seemed like such a perfect thing to do. :grin:

contributor

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Eeeep, you replied! 

*munches on my (chocolate ice cream) cake lawl*

Oh, did you go trick-or-treating? I was surprised because a lot of my friends this year went, but I ddin't go cuz ehhh. I didn't feel like buying/making a costume. I haven't gone trick-or-treating since 1st grade tbh.

I'm not writing anything right now, but I submitted to this essay competition about a month ago about what we think the future of reading will look like and I didn't win the grand prize, which made me sad because it was an all-expenses paid dinner with an author. But I got an honorable mention, which is nice. Still waiting for my certificate, which they were supposed to mail out weeks ago! :P

Hmm I looked up Amulet of Samarkand and it looks interesante. "It is known for its liberal use of footnotes to voice the main character's sarcasm" LOL

I finished The Mill at the Floss by George Eliot (a woman! yessss female authors in the 1800s), which reminded me of Jane Austen novels, but less focus on the romance and more on struggle. I love the main character, Maggie, because she goes through so much but manages to pick herself up every time. I've been reading so many novels of struggle, though, that I kind of want a happy novel. Like really happy, everything goes well for the main character, little conflict, never mind the plot. :P

Do you get Veteran's Day tom off? If so, what are you doing?

new

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 am

Iiiiiiiick, I'm so sorry, you always reply so quickly whenever I write, and then there's me always taking forever! I feel guilty. I'll blame Nanowrimo. It's like every time I come on the computer I feel compelled to write because I'm still 4000 (soon to be 5000 if I don't get something done today...) words behind my daily word goals. But I'm hoping to catch up over Thanksgiving break! :grin: Anyway..........

I did not go trick-or-treating this year. But I still got a lot of candy because almost no one showed up to our house and we'd bought loads. Yeah, I actually haven't been trick-or-treating that many times (mostly because I haven't lived here all my life) but I did like to go. And I didn't make a costume this year either. No time. :(

Ooh, nice job on your honourable mention essay! Though the grand prize sounds AMAZING! Which author was it? That would be such a dream come true! :lol:

Footnotes, yesss, the Amulet of Samarkand has loads of them! And sarcasm. :grin: I liked it. And the Mill at the Floss sounds good, I should check it out. I don't really like Jane Austen, but at least part of that is because all her main characters are so weak (except for Elizabeth, and I don't know, I never really got into Pride and Prejudice), so maybe I will like George Eliot. Hmm, I can't think of any purely happy novels right now, did you find anything? 

You got Veteran's Day off?? Unfair! We most certainly did not. Lucky you! What did you do? What are you doing over Thanksgiving?

Re: dorkqueen
new

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Hey Lestria!!

My name starts with an E (can you guess it?) I also play the violin and piano too. Soccer season just ended and I'm so sad because soccer is awesome! I'm just munching on doritos right now (I ♥♥♥ junkfood! But I love healthy stuff too!) I'm trying to swatt away a fly - its really annoying me right now! Anyways yea! lol blush I am soooo happy thanksgiving break is starting 2morrow! Half day of school - ends at 11:45! I just need to finish my hw first. Nice talking 2 u! ( if u reply!) TTYLLLLLL :)

contributor

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:56 am

@songbird49: AYYY how was Nanowrimo? and your Thanksgiving? and Black Friday? :DI don't remember what I did for Veterans' Day...I don't think I did anything lol. My Thanksgiving was also uneventful. My grandparents from China are currently staying with us, but Thanksgiving isn't big in our family. We didn't even have turkey lol, but my mom made some chicken. Also, I got black ankle boots on Black Friday! I've been wanting some short boots, and I got black ones because I can use them for orchestra concerts (concert attire is all black). They have wedges and I feel very tall and powerful when I wear them. :D

The prize dinner for the writing competition was with Marissa Meyer...author of Cinder! (Remember that book I was telling you about over the summer...how it broke my heart...yeah, that one. :P)

I miss summer, but I LOVE the winter and I love holiday cheer. The houses around the block put up Christmas lights and decorations already, and they make me smile every time I walk past. There's been a few flurries here and there, but I'm waiting for the first snowfall. :DD Although I'll probably regret it when I'm trudging through the snow to school and the trains are messed up and the streets become muddy and gross.

There was this documentary about the history of genocide--apparently the whole concept of genocide is very modern and the word 'genocide' was only coined a few decades ago by this man named Raphael Lemkin. The documentary talked a lot about the struggle to get the UN to recognize genocide as a crime and how Lemkin made that his life mission, but died before it happened. Very depressing. :|I cried a little when it talked about how Lemkin lobbied the U.N. ambassadors day after day and didn't sleep and often went hungry because he didn't have money and endured a lot of frustration because no one was doing anything. My friends and I have talked a lot about what we want to do as careers and one of my friends says she wants to do something meaningful, which stuck in my mind. Because I really admire and sort of envy people like Lemkin who have a mission in life and work for something meaningful, and I don't know what I'm going to do.

(Sorry to end on a slightly depressing note. Wow that was a huge block of text.)

@soccergirl245: Hi...Emily? Emma?? Those are the first E names that come to mind. yay a fellow violinist! Did you do anything special for Thanksgiving? I have to do my hw too, haha. It's a universal student struggle. : ))

new

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 am

HI LESTRIA!!! *waves enthusiastically* Nanowrimo was great! I actually reached my wordcount goal! (which I am actually feeling super accomplished about despite the fact that said goal was really rather low this year. It was just such a struggle. :lol: ) The bad news is that I have not even opened that word document since Nov. 30th, and my novel isn't close to done! And I have zero motivation to do so in the near future. Ah well, let's hope the motivation shows up sometime...:lol:

Thanksgiving was great, too! My family didn't do turkey either 'cause we're vegetarian, but we did make a lot of pie. :grin: And I did nothing at all Black Friday-ey on Black Friday, but your boots sound great! Tall and powerful shoes are always awesome. :smile:

Ahhh, Marissa Meyer, I still need to read Cinder; it sounds like a pretty good book. I love the holidays, too! Everything just feels so warm and fuzzy everywhere somehow, even though it's so cold! (Though, for a change, it's not actually that cold here right now; snow, where are you? :lol: ) We've had our first (and second, and third...) snowfalls, but right about now, it's all melted. Very odd for us. :smile: What have you been doing over winter  break? Anything fun? 

That documentary sounds very interesting, but yeah, depressing. And very deep. I'd like to do something meaningful, too. I guess most people would. But I don't know what I'll do, either. I guess you've just got to try to make a difference wherever you can. (Woah, aren't we becoming deep thinkers here? :smile: ) Anyway, have a wonderful holiday! :grin:

contributor

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:37 pm

yesyesyesyesyes

^Idk if those are going to show up because I think there's a bug with the smileys. If you can't see them, those are a row of thumbs ups because YOU GO GURL, CONGRATS ON NANOWRIMO!! <3 

I wrote like a paragraph yesterday for this new idea I had and that was the most writing I've done since summer. ;_; I still have no idea what the plot is lol.

I'm so sad about the lack of snow. :/ It's been sunny over here, which is nice, but sort of ruins the wintery mood you know? I'm still waiting for real snow. :|

I've been doing boring things over break, haha. Like studying. And school stuff. And catching up on sleep. The good part is that I'm actually well rested for once, which is good for everyone because it means I won't be ranting about how tired I feel. I was a little sick last week and I actually had a fever, which I haven't had since second grade lol, so I was stuck in bed for a day. It made me really grateful to be healthy because being sick really stinks.

I was going to go ice skating with my friends but one of them can't make it and since it's a tradition for us, we decided to postpone it until intersession or the February break or something. So I've mostly been hanging out in my own house, playing cards with my little brother, doing work. I don't go out except when I'm tutoring or volunteering at the Botanical Garden. It's a good life though. Sometimes I just want to not go through all that social stuff and instead have some alone time. I'm slowly reading through the Game of Throne series and then I want to read some classics like Catch-22 or Phantom of the Opera or Picture of Dorian Gray because I've heard so much about them. Are you reading any books or watching any movies or TV shows? What have you been doing for break?

(One of my friends went to Puerto Rico and her pictures are so gorgeous gah.)

MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS and all that jazz. :P Happy new year!

new

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks!! :grin:

Ohh, I hope it snows soon for you then! It was like that over here right up until, I think, Christmas? Then it finally snowed. And now it's freezing, as usual...:lol:

Haha, I've been doing pretty boring things all throughout break, too. Minus the school stuff. I've been really really unproductive. I have two days of break left, and I still have to do my math homework. Huh...school. :sad: When does your break end? 

Let's see, have I done anything worth mentioning over break? Oh, well, one day one of my best friends who lives in another state came to visit, and that was awesome! We went out to lunch and then just hung out, and it was fun. :grin: But I think besides that I have been basically pottering about the house, like you. :grin: Have fun reading your classics...if you make it through Catch-22, do tell me, because I got dead bored of it and stopped reading about 7 pages in, lol. But I might try it again. And I've read the Picture of Dorian Gray, but it was just so weird, I don't even know what I think of the book, it kind of creeped me out. But I did find the concept a little intriguing. 

I haven't actually been watching that much TV, I don't know why. It just never seems to occur to me as something to do when I'm bored, for some reason. But I saw the Hobbit and Into the Woods! I liked them both. Have you watched any movies (new or otherwise) lately?

I've also been reading, but I really need to go to the library because I'm running out of things to read. I think the last book I read was The Blood of Olympus? Oh no, wait, I tried rereading Pride and Prejudice yesterday to see if I liked it any better this time around. Sadly not, lol. (I think I might have mentioned already, but I'm not a huge fan of anything Jane Austen wrote :lol: )

I've also been writing, but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to bring myself to continue the Nanowrimo one yet. I've been mostly writing random little starts of stories that have yet to become anything, but are fun to do all the same. AND KEEP PUSHING THROUGH WITH YOUR PARAGRAPH, MAYBE IT WILL BECOME A MASTERPIECE! Right? :lol: 

Belated Happy Holidays and HAPPY 2015!!!!!!!!! :grin: heart  :grin:

contributor

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:49 pm

I went back to school on the 5th and, well, I knew that the first week of school after winter break would be a bummer, but wow that was rough.

:(

Lol I think the cold front just moved to the east coast bc it's freaking freezing here now...like, literally, freezing. Especially after 5, when it gets dark. Usually I speedwalk home and my legs feel so weird because they're super cold but also getting warmed up by how fast I'm walking and it feels like these cold/hot pricks are attacking my muscles. -_-

Same, I don't watch that much TV because when I was younger, my parents would limit my TV-watching so I turned to books. I haven't watched movies in a while because going to the movie theater means coordinating with my friends when pp are free and everyone's been super busy lately. I want to watch some of the animated movies, though. My friend said she cried during this animated movie and her dad was with her and kept on asking if she was okay. I think the movie was about intergalaxies or something. :D

Lol, have you heard about Ernest Hemingway's 6-word stories? I think the concept is fantastic, but when I'm actually trying to write one, I get frustrated. Still, I love flash fiction because they take less time to write and read, and I'm kind of an impatient person. :D My friend and I were recently talking about this. I was ranting about how I hate huge books because they take FOREVER to finish and my friend got super offended and started talking about how thin books are awful because they never satisfy her.

Our friendship, haha.

She's one of my rare book friends though, so I treasure her very much. <3

So tell me about your new years/weather/what happened to you recently. :P Do you have any weird friends? All of mine are weird in some way, which I guess makes sense because I'm pretty weird too. 

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Tell me more about the 6-word stories! I'm intrigued.

new

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Aww, I hope your next few weeks of school were better! Second semester just started at my school, and it was kind of rough, too. I like the new classes I have better than last semesters, but after the first two blocks, I'm kind of friendless. Even at lunch, because hardly anybody I know has the same lunch as me. :sad: But how has school been for you?

Also, ahh, didn't I promise to tell you all about my creative writing class when I finally had it? Well, now I do! And it is like my dream class! I already knew my teacher (who is awesome), and it's the first class I've had in a while for which I've actually been excited to do the assignments. Though right now, I'm having writers block for our first one. :lol: Have you ever heard of The Mysteries of Harris Burdick? The story behind them is pretty interesting. (Apparently, Harris Burdick is a person who left a bunch of illustrated pictures with captions at a publisher's house, promising to return the next day with the full stories, if the publisher was interested. Only he never came back...) Our assignment is just to write a story for one of the pictures. My teacher said it was a pretty common creative writing assignment. Have you ever had to do it?

Six-word stories? I had not heard of them, but I just looked them up, and lk;ajfdhg; they look super interesting! Though the one that Hemingway is supposed to have written is really sad...I just spent five minutes staring at those six words and imagining the whole story behind them. Now I really want to write one. But it really should wait until my creative writing homework is done. :lol: If you wrote one, you should tell me what it is and post it on here! 

Hmm, I can't decide whether I like thick or thin books better. When I really love a book, I never want it to end and I want it to just drag on forever, but at the same time, after a big heavy book, there is something so satisfying about flying through a little one all in one go. :smile: 

I think most of my friends are probably weird, too. Including me, so I guess it makes sense that we're friends. :grin: Oh, and the weather's surprisingly warm over here for this time of year (at least, it's not as freezing cold as it usually is). How is the weather where you live? I heard it was pretty bad in NY. (DO YOU LIVE IN NY, FOR SOME REASON I FEEL LIKE YOU DO, IF I'M WRONG, JUST IGNORE ME) :lol:

contributor

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:56 pm

@moderator katie: 6-word stories are a type of super short stories that Ernest Hemingway invented. Basically, you try to tell a story in six words. For example, Hemingway's most famous 6-word story is "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." They're super difficult to write, but I really like reading them because they're so short and they leave the reader to imagine the rest of the plot on his/her own.

@songbird49: Aw, I hate when I'm in a class with none of my friends and I have to socialize with people that I've seen in the hallways for three years but never talked to. Have you bonded with anyone new? :)

I just looked up The Mysteries of Harris Burdick and whoa, that's a pretty good backstory on its own. Also a pretty good writing exercise that I might try sometime. I've tried writing a 6-word story, but it's basically me deleting and rewriting and deleting 6 words for like an hour and then I'm finally like whatever. :(

YES I DO LIVE IN NY lol there was supposed to be this huge blizzard that the national weather service labelled a CRITICAL LEVEL BLIZZARD DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and our mayor banned traveling and put a $300 fine on people found outside after a certain time...and the "blizzard" turned out to be 6 in of snow. Which is a decent amount of snow, but not that much. :/ The good thing is that we still got a day off from school. :DDDDD

Do you get next week off too? If so, do you have any plans? I think I'm pretty much staying home, maybe dragging my friends to a museum because I've never been and the architecture is super cool and my friend has a free pass because she's taking classes. Yay art!!!

new

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:07 am

Heyyyy! I'm so, so, sorry I just disappeared off the face of the earth (or at least, off the face of the Stacks :razz: ) for, like, the past few months, and for not replying. :sad: It's been kind of a rough month. :/

Anywaaaay, how was your Spring Break? Mine just ended, but I had fun! Now, though, I'm already starting to get stressed and it's only the second day of term. But what about you? How's school?

As far as making friends go, I did end up making friends in my math class! There were a few people who I kind of knew, and it turned out not to be so hard to talk to them after all, and now I'm glad I'm in the calc class that I am (because my whole class is pretty cool! :grin: ) I never did really find anybody to talk to in history, but now that fourth term's started, I don't have that class anymore! (it was three terms) Now my schedule looks a lot less stressful than it used to, because I have Intro to Theatre instead, but that's a whole different story. :/ You wouldn't believe some of the absolute morons who are in my class and who basically spend the whole time loudly complaining about how they don't want to do anything. It should be fun, because all we're doing for the first unit is mostly a lot of improv games, but I don't know anybody in it either, and for some reason spend most of the period in a state of vague anxiety. :sad: Also, AP tests are once again the bane of my life, but even more so than last year because I'm taking a lot more. :( Do you have any?

Aaaand that was a whole bunch about my annoyance at school right now that you probably didn't need to hear. But thank you for listening. :grin:

Oh, I meant to tell you sooner, but almost right after your last post, my creative writing teacher was talking about Hemingway's six-word stories! And then we had to write a bunch, which was really hard. But you should show me yours if you managed to write any ( I didn't :razz: )

Also, YAY, it is spring now, and not super cold anymore! :grin: Though we didn't get any snow days this year which was kind of disappointing. How about you? 

Art museums are super cool! I went to a Russian one with one of my friends recently and the paintings were really nice. Did you end up going to the one you were talking about?

Also, just, how was your day? :razz:

~Songbird49

contributor

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:43 pm

HEY!!! Aw, condolences for the rough March :( I have a bunch of major tests coming up and some programs I'm applying to that I really want to get in. D: Idk if I mentioned this before but there's this science program that I applied for last year but didn't get in and it made me really sad...and I'm applying again this year. '^'

Theatre sounds cool! Improv games ah I miss them. In middle school, everyone had to take this class called Communications and Theatre (CT for short) and it was pretty fun to act/watch other people act in short plays. We also had this unit where everyone wrote plays and then the top one in each class was picked for this school festival! Mine didn't make the festival but it got chosen to be performed in my class and it was super cool watching what I wrote come to life. :D

My school only lets 11th/12th graders take AP classes so I don't have any AP tests...but next year hahah will be a different story. :( I'm planning to take AP Chem and AP Spanish next year. Which classes are you taking and which ones are hardest/easiest/most interesting/least interesting?

Yes spring! has finally come. :) It's been high sixties here, but everyone's wary because last week there was a sunny day and then it snowed a little the day after and the rest of the week was cold/rainy and we were like wat happened. But hopefully spring is here to stay. I think I only got 1 or 2 snow days this year.

Whoa a Russian art museum sounds pretty awesome. I didn't end up going to the museum BUT ALL IS NOT LOST I went to a bookstore instead!!! IT WAS SO GREAT OH MY GOSH it's pretty famous in New York and it's a "vintage" bookstore (lawl idk what that means) but basically it has lightly used, cheap books of all genres. My friends and I spent some time reminiscing over our old childhood books and then we looked at some young adult books and I bought Ender's Game, which is this great sci-fi book that I've been meaning to buy for some time. (It's actually so great, like I'm not even into sci-fi but I love Ender's Game)

My day was good. I always feel like it could be better, like if I could get accepted to this program or if I could ace this test then everything would be great, but I feel a degree of satisfaction with my life right now just typing away at my desk. No one else is home right now so I get some quiet time to myself before my brother comes barging in like a hurricane.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:23 pm

THE STRAND!!! I love that store!!!

new

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi! Wow, that bookstore sounds so amazing, I want to go there right now. And I love Ender's Game! It's been so long since I read it that I don't think I even remember the whole plot anymore, but I do remember that it was good. When I lived in the U.A.E there was this one second hand bookstore that I really loved going to that you just reminded me of (even though they are probably nothing alike :lol: )! I feel like one of my main reasons for loving that bookstore so much was just kind of because it existed and was very cheap, though, because there were no huge public libraries there. (How did I survive??? :lol: )

Ahh, AP classes. Well, I am in 11th grade, but in my school sophomores can take them too. 9th graders mostly can't, unless they're that far ahead in math, but I've recently found out that it's not too hard to get around the grade requirements even for the classes that 9th graders are absolutely not supposed to take, so I don't know. :razz: But this year, my AP classes were U.S history, physics and calculus. I'd say Physics was both the most interesting (when I was actually in the class) and the hardest and the one that I'm liking the least right now. :razz: What about your classes?

Good luck with all your tests, and especially for all the programs that you are applying to! I do remember you being disappointed about the science one last year, and I really hope you get in this time! If you don't...well, there's still always next year, right? Good luck!

I get what you mean when you say that you always feel like everything would be better if you could just get one of those many things that you want. :/ I feel like that a lot, too, especially lately, because I've been disappointed a lot over the past month and a half. I don't know if I told you around this time last year about trying out for my school's top choir and not making it (I don't think I did...I cried over on the Harry Potter boards instead :/), but last year one of the things I kept telling myself was that I always had this year to try again. Aaand, well, this year just happened and...I didn't get in again. And I've wanted to since 9th grade, when I heard them sing at the first concert, and now that dream is gone. :sad: That might have sounded a a little dramatic...I'm sorry. :sad: I'm just kind of sad right now. And then my choir director and voice teacher both came and talked to me afterwards and said that they thought I'm good enough to be in it, but didn't do great because I always fall apart when I get nervous. At first that made me feel better, but I still don't get to be in it, and well, it's all my fault. I could have done it, but I had to be stupid and mess everything up as usual. :sad:

March was a disappointing month because I did a lot of other things that month that I was afraid to do (and am proud of finally making myself do), but they all pretty much ended in disappointment, after me spending basically the whole month being anxious about one thing or another. Oh well. 

And oh my, that was such a bad way to end of this post, so I think I'll add on a row of smiley faces to make it cheerier because I don't like ending things on a down note:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have a fabulous day, Lestria! :razz:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm

From Katie- I'm butting in- so sorry about Choir!! Hug. I've had disappointments like that. I tell myself, "fall down seven times get up eight." It helps. :)

new

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks Katie!!

contributor

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:34 pm

@Katie: YES, THE STRAND! I wasn't sure whether I'd be allowed to put the actual name so I figured better safe than sorry...but ah I can't believe you recognized it from the description anyway! :D I've only gone there once but I'm already in love. *_*

@songbird: Haha, I read Ender's Game a few years ago and I forgot most of the plot until I bought it and reread it on the subway. I think I forgot how sad it was...not only the end, which is pretty gut-punching and intense, but throughout the book as Ender grows up and learns to be independent and protect himself. :'(

The only other bookstore I've been to is Barnes and Noble haha, which is more like a commercialized bookstore I feel because the books there are expensive and it's not a place you can really afford to go often. Second-hand bookstores are so lovely and public libraries are the best of course! :)

Ooh I really really want to take AP Physics and Calculus. They sound so interesting and the seniors I've talked to all agree they're so interesting and the teachers who teach the subjects are THE BEST. :'D When a super cool subject is taught by a super cool teacher...SIGN ME UP.

I remember you told me about your disappointment with the choir...I can really empathize with the nervous part. I know whenever I play violin in front of people, I get super nervous and I make mistakes and I sound so so awful and I want to scream I'M BETTER THAN THIS...but when I play with other people in orchestra, I feel fine. :/

(Also I just realized that we talked about how we were each disappointed with science program (me) and choir (you) in the very beginning of this thread...it feels so far away, wow. Thanks for always listening and responding! I love hearing about your day and it always feels like such a fresh change of pace from my own life :'))

Anyway, forget about March!!! April is a new month and it's almost going to be May and then June and summer! :)

new

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Eeee NOW I KNOW THE NAME OF THIS BOOKSTORE, I WILL DEFINITELY GO VISIT IT...WHEN I GO TO NY! (So thanks, Katie! :grin: ) It sounds fantabulous. :razz:

Anywaaay, haha, I go to Barnes and Noble a lot, too. I don't know of any cheaper/quainter bookstores near where I live right now. But recently, a lot of people have given me Barnes and Noble gift cards for presents, so yessss, I get to buy lots of books! :grin: And, yeah, public libraries are awesome!

Calc and physics are both pretty interesting! And I loved my physics teacher, too, so that was nice. My calc teacher on the other hand...shall we call him interesting? I guess at least the class is never boring with him teaching it. :lol: Actually, the teacher I was supposed to have was in a car accident, so my teacher is actually a long term sub, with uh, unique teaching ideas. Which include not teaching us if the class before us annoyed him. But most of the time, he's pretty okay! And he can be really nice, so calc's not bad, either. :smile: What about your teachers? Do you have any interesting stories? 

Aww, yeah, I get what you mean about getting really nervous. I've (mostly) gotten over choir now...and tell me what happens about the stuff you applied for! I love hearing everything you say too, and siriusly, thanks for always listening to my meaningless ranting when I'm upset. You're one of the few people I rant too, and I do really appreciate it!  <3

Well I should probably go study now (Eek, APs begin next week!!! :o ), so bye! Have an awesome day!

contributor

Thu May 07, 2015 8:54 pm

My teachers are pretty great this year! My math teacher is the department chair and he teaches us much more challenging problems than is in the curriculum, which requires you to put in a lot more work and I think one quarter of the class is failing...I actually had a test on probability today and I thought it was okay but then I realized I made this dumb mistake on a problem ;_; ugh probability gets me every single time. But math is definitely really interesting this year. Plus he brings bags of M & Ms and other chocolate candies every time we have a test (because we all freak out so much lol). He also has a great sense of humor and he jokes around a lot in class. :)

I got updates from one of the programs I applied for, where you work in a lab to do engineering/computer science research...and I got in!! I was like checking my email frantically and when I read the first line of the email, "We are pleased to inform you..." I was like A;KSDJFAKDALSDFJA YESSSSSSSSS

Now I'm just waiting for two other programs...

Oh, APs have been happening at my school too. A lot of my classes switched rooms and the hallways are like deathly silent. D: Hope your exams went well!!!

Tell me about your day/week! 

Mon May 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Congrats on your acceptance!!

new

Tue May 19, 2015 6:13 am

CONGRATS ON THE LAB THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yesheartyes :grin: :grin: :grin: <3 <3 <3 That is awesome! What kind of research will you be doing in this lab? Have you heard back from any of the other things you applied for? But siriusly, that's great!! :grin:

You're math teacher sounds great! He kind of reminds me of some other teachers I have had...though haha the math teacher I was talking about (the long-term sub) spent the week leading up to the first big test freaking us all out and then on the test day, he gave out candy because everyone was so stressed. :lol: Our actual teacher came back yesterday (for the last three weeks of school...:?), and I actually kind of miss our sub. He was odd, and could be mean, and had ever-changing favourites based on who was doing well in the class, but he wasn't a bad teacher, could be really nice, and in some strange way did seem to care about everybody in the class. So, a contradiction! :grin: Also, I hate probability, too! It's just so confusing to get your head wrapped around. :razz:

My exams didn't go too badly (at least, I hope they didn't...)! But somehow, school is suddenly as stressful as ever. I don't think I've ever had so many near meltdowns in school before as I have this year, but I'll be okay. :smile: In my theatre class recently, we watched Into the Woods the stage version (which I've already seen), but it is really good, so that made me happy! Now we're writing musicals. And I wrote a terrible musical version of...Rumpelstiltskin! :mrgreen: It's really pretty frightful, but I have so much writing stuff to do right now! Creative writing is a great class...sometimes. But my feelings towards it cycle. Right now, it is just kind of an overload of assignments. :smile: 

And I can't believe that we only have three weeks of school left! What about you? It's kind of scary to think about...next year, I'll be a senior! Yikes! :lol: And I have so many senior friends that I'm really going to miss when they graduate. :sad: But still, it's nice to be able to look forward to a (hopefully) less stressful summer! :grin: (Though I mean, college applications...but let's not think about those right now. :lol: )

And I should go now, because right now I'm actually taking a break from writing an essay, and I hope this post makes some kind of sense because it's 1:00 in the morning right now and I'm tired and kind of loopy and I think this might be one of the least coherent things I've ever written on here. :lol: These circumstances might also explain the excess of smiley faces I have used. (Because I never overuse them normally, of course not) :lol: But hopefully you can make some sense of it! :lol:

So how is your life right now? :razz:

contributor

Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm

@mod katie: thank you!!!

@songbird49: The lab does research on biomechanics and one of their most recent projects was on designing smoother/stabler prosthetic legs so that people who use them feel less pain/discomfort. I'm a little stressed because I feel like I have so much to learn--but it's like a good kind of stress. An excited kind of stress. :P

I have at least two meltdowns in school every year I think. The stress and sleepiness just gradually builds up and then some small thing happens and I burst into tears. It's really embarrassing. I don't like crying in front of other people because I don't really want to be comforted a;slkdfja it's like awkward. I also have this weird tendency to cry on public transportation aka the subway and I feel so conspicuous when people stare at me. This happened to me a few weeks ago, when we were playing racquetball in gym and the other team kept making these comments that were meant to be competitive in a friendly way but I was so tired of it and I started crying. And then on the subway I heard a group of musicians playing a song that I know--"Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" by Sara Bareilles. It's a really lovely song, and I started crying again and then this person near me looked really concerned and gave me a pack of tissues and I started crying harder because there's nothing like small kindnesses from strangers.

^So those are my crying habits. Do you have any? :P

I've listened to some songs from Into the Woods! The plot sounds really really interesting. I didn't know it was a play too...Now I really want to watch it. OMG YOU'RE WRITING A MUSICAL THAT IS SO COOL. Do you write the dialogue first and then the songs? What's it like to write a song? Also do you compose the score for the songs too? o-o

I know, summer seems so far away...but I think I have like 2 weeks of school left, and then 1 week of finals. Congrats on almost being a senior! Heck, congrats on surviving junior year!!! <3 <3 <3 I'm really stressed for junior year. Advice?? :D

I know the feeling, when you're writing something late at night and it's like ugh I know I will regret this in the morning but whatever. I get really sentimental at night lol. I'm writing this at 6:33 pm on a Friday, so I feel more relaxed than I've been all week. ^-^

Go catch up on sleep!!!!!!!!!

[ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team