Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Re: @songbird49
new

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:05 am

@Katie: Hi! So, I thought I'd posted on here around last week, but it hasn't shown up yet. I was wondering if maybe it didn't go through because I don't think there would have been anything innapropriate in it...? Was there? Or was it just my computer being weird? (Which is a pain, since it was quite a long post, but oh well. I will retype if that is the case! :lol: ) Thanks Katie!!

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi- I don't recall not approving one of your posts. I'm sorry but have no idea what happened to it. Any chance you have a backup!?

new

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:26 pm

@Katie: Haha, no backups, but that's okay! I have ever so much more to tell now anyway, so this will be an even longer post! :wink:

@Lestria: Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Oh my gosh, we are now on the third page! :grin:

Anyway, wow, your research lab sounds really cool! And pretty important! I hope it goes well! What have you been working on so far? Oh, and what happened about the other programs you applied for? I'm in India right now (which is why I didn't come on here earlier. Oh my gosh, your post was way back in May. Yikes. Sorry!), and in a surprise twist of fate (lol, no actually, I just forgot to mention it earlier), I am doing an internship at a neuroscience lab here too! They study fruit flies, and the project the person I'm helping is doing has to do with their learning and memory, so that's really interesting. I was kind of nervous about the internship before I started, but the lab is actually pretty relaxed, and everyone there is super nice and friendly and answer all my questions and stuff. :grin:

Ahh, meltdowns in school. The interesting (well not really, I don't know what I'm typing right now :lol: ) part is that I never really had many until this/last year. (I mean, I had regular meltdowns in preschool, and I think there was this one time in second grade when something really upset/scared me and I just started bawling, but I'm not counting those...) Which I guess is not actually that surprising because junior year and all. I think I had about three or four this past year, which was an unwelcome surprise. :/ I know what you mean about things building up and then one small thing sets it off. One of the meltdowns I had was like that, and I just randomly shut down all of a sudden because somebody said some random little thing. Most of my other meltdowns had bigger causes though, and ugh, they were so awkward because I was just sitting there in class trying not to cry. :/ I don't know, I generally like being comforted, but I think I make things kind of hard for  people trying to be comforting. Like, I do feel better if someone notices, but I also really don't like admitting when I'm upset, because like you said, it can be awkward, so I generally spend a good amount of time whenever someone asks me what's wrong trying to pretend (probably not very convincingly :lol: ) that I'm fine until they've spent so long sticking around and asking me that I'm convinced they really want to know. I mean not many people actually do (which is completely normal...I mean, how long can you keep trying to comfort a person who keeps insisting she doesn't need comforting), but I end up feeling really grateful for the friends who do. :) As for my crying habits, I tend to kind of melt down really easily, and sometimes I can stop myself, but if anyone else notices me, I just completely break down. (Wow, <-- that was long. :lol: )

Anyway, on a more cheerful note, I just looked up "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" and it is really lovely! And Into the Woods is really good! Look up the stage version, it's better than the movie (though I do love the movie, too!). Haha, the musical was fun to write. We were allowed to use existing songs from other places (so, like, a jukebox musical) or write our own songs. I composed a score for one of my songs, then decided I didn't have the time to do anymore and just re-wrote lyrics. :smile:

Haha, thanks! And as far as advice goes...don't worry too much about it. Looking back, junior year definately was way more stressful than any other year of my life so far (we'll see now that senior year is coming up. College apps, eek!), but while it was happening, it was just another year of school. Just try to be as organized/efficient as possible so that you don't waste time on unneccessary stuff (wow, I should really take my own advice...), and then you won't have as much to be stressed about. Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be awesome at being a junior! <3 <3 <3

So what else have you been doing with your summer? What's the single most fun day of it been so far? :D And what books are you reading right now? I just finished Paper Towns by John Green (have you read it?) and I really liked it! It was only the second John Green book I've read (I finished The Fault in Our Stars a few weeks ago), and it really made me think. I tend to idolize people quite a bit, and so its ideas were interesting to think about. :smile: I am now reading Silas Marner. You've read The Mill and the Floss by George Eliot, right? How was it? Right now, I'm finding Silas Marner a bit dull, but I have been told that once a child enters, it gets better and all heart-warming and stuff, so I'm trying to stick it out. :D

Anyway, it's like one in the morning for me (though don't worry! I am catching up on sleep now that it's summer! :grin: ), and my laptop is about to die, so adios! <3

contributor

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:43 pm

HI! HAPPY SUMMER!!!

woohoo third page! *throws confetti* I had to do a double take when I saw the little blue 3. :D

My lab has been...an interesting experience? On the first day, I was feeling overwhelmed with the numerous mechanical/electrical parts that my mentor introduced, but then I started to feel underwhelmed by how tedious some of the tasks are. I'm conducting tests on a robotic arm, which sounds more exciting than it is because "conducting tests" means pushing a few buttons on this computer program and formatting the Excel sheet that is generated. I'm planning to ask my mentor whether I can help write the optimization code to exercise some of my brain cells, but these past few days, as I'm learning about optimization, I feel overwhelmed again by how much I have to learn. (And whether my mentor will let me help with the code...)

Your lab sounds pretty cool! I think I read an article once about some genes that scientists were testing in fruit flies. Do you physically touch/work with the fruitflies? Also tell me about India! Are you doing any sightseeing? How long are you staying there?

I got into my program!!! I was really lucky with programs this year. I was pretty happy at the end of the year...except for this incident with my report card, where my math teacher gave me a 0 for a quiz I was absent for, even though he said that he would drop it. :/// It made me angry for days, but it didn't affect my grade too much and I guess I'll have to deal with unfair teachers/incidents in the future too so I'm trying not to be so stressed about it.

My summer's been a lot busier this year WHICH ROCKS because in the past, I always got bored halfway into it. I've done some sightseeing around my own city, which is a little weird and sad because I've lived here for so long and haven't bothered to before. It's been nice to just walk along the streets (along the harbor!) and enjoy about an hour to myself at the end of the day. I have to say the most fun I've had so far is building/programming a Lego robot with one of my closest friends. Before we started working in labs, we had to take robotic and scientific history classes together. The classes were good, if boring sometimes, but with my friend I had SUCH a good time bcause we're always goofing off together and coming up with creative ideas. The instructor for the robotics class loved us. :')

I've been reading on the train. It's funny (but also pathetic) because in the past two weeks, I've read more than I've read in the past few months. I'm reading classics again and right now I'm on "New Grub Street" by George Gissing, which tells the stories of struggling writers in 19th century England. It's pretty good. I love reading fictional stories about writers. :D

I actually spoiled the plot of Paper Towns for myself because I was so curious about what it was about. *sheepish smile* The plot sounded interesting (especially, like you said, Quentin's idolatry of Margo), but I felt wary of picking up another John Green book after reading Fault in Our Stars. I liked the writing (the scene where Gus describes his body as a Christmas tree? That was one of the most powerful scenes I've ever read) and the book made me think a lot about what I want to do with my life, but I just couldn't get into the romance.

Yes, I read The Mill and the Floss! Similarly, it had some boring scenes, but overall, the plot was interesting enough that I finished it. It takes me a while to get into books too, so I usually just endure until something in the plot makes me intrigued.

What has been the most fun you've had so far in your summer? Tell me about the food/weather/people in India!

new

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:09 am

HI!!!! HAPPY END OF SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Just kidding, that's not happy at all, in fact school starts tomorrow, yikes! :o ) (Also, double yikes, sorry for taking approximately years to reply to this thread, I'm a terrible pen-pal-like-persony friend, aren't I?)

Anywaaaay...good luck with optimization! And I hope your lab becomes (has become, by now?) a good interesting experience! It sounds really cool/useful, though! My lab was pretty cool (though also pretty disgusting, at times...too many flies :/ ). We did physically work with the fruit flies, but surprisingly (and thankfully!) not a lot of actual touching was necessary. 

India was great! I didn't really do any sightseeing, but I saw a lot of family I only get to see once a year! I was there until a couple weeks ago, but now...*sigh* Like I said, school starts tomorrow. What about you? Has your school started already? I'm starting to feel kind of nervous about it. I mean, tomorrow will be my last first day of school!! It feels crazy. :/

new

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:27 am

Oops, I accidentally hit submit before I was done. Anyway, to continue:

Yay! Congrats on getting into so many programs this year!! That is awesome. :grin:Aww, that stinks about your math quiz, but at least it didn't affect your grade much! Coincidentially, a similar thing happened to me, too! :oExcept this was a homework assignment that I was SURE I turned in, and it did drop my grade. :(I was really upset when I saw it, but meh...it's just one grade, right?? (At least, that's what I keep telling myself.)

Haha, I know what you mean about getting bored halfway through. My summer has also been WAY busier than usual, but a bit too busy for me...I get about two weeks of free time, and then BAM, suddenly it's school again. Wah, I really am not very excited for tomorrow. :(

Haha, our end-of-last-years and summers seem to be running surprisingly parallel this year! My sister and I also took a couple random classes together (we're twins...I don't know if I've mentioned being a twin before?) here before we went to India and started the lab. Like you said, they could be kind of boring, but we had a great time goofing off together. :grin:

*Sigh* I know what you mean about the time for reading! I just started and finished a whole book yesterday, and it's kind of sad because it was the kind of not-too-longish book that would have meant that this wasn't a very big deal a couple years ago, but I know that now I'll never be able to do that kind of thing once school starts!! "New Grub Street" sounds interesting (I love the name! And the author's name...Gissing. :grin:) I am also currently in middle of a classic, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I really like it so far, it's just the kind of classic I tend to fall in love with, about kids growing up in difficult circumstances.

I agree about The Fault in Our Stars in that I wasn't able to get into the romance (I never do seem to like romance stories much), but John Green's writing is so BEAUTIFUL, I can't help enjoying reading it anyway.

Hmm, I think the most fun thing I've done this summer has been being with my cousins. We're all super close, and we always have a great time together!

Good luck with the new school year! :grin:

new

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 am

Oh wow, my reply is really coming in pieces this time, but one fun thing that happened in India that I forgot to mention: I discovered an absolutely FABULOUS bookstore!! Actual good/decent-sized bookstores are sometimes hard to come by in India in my experience, but this one was perfect. I mean, I guess it wasn't THAT big by our standards, but it was almost as big as any bookstore here, and the best part was that it was all crammed into the tiniest spaces! It was lovely and old-fashionedy looking, and had loads of old second-hand books, as well as new, just-came-out books. And there were piles and piles of books in front of other piles of books (which actually is basically impractical...but still :grin: ) everywhere, on shelves, on tables, on the floor! It seemed like the kind of bookshop where magical things might happen. :grin: Anyway, it reminded me of the second-hand bookstore you and Katie were talking about earlier. :razz:

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 pm

That book store in India sounds SO COOL!

contributor

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Ahh so glad you're back! :D No worries, I know what it's like to get swamped up with stuff...especially now going into junior year I feel like I should be appreciating my free time more lol...*foreboding music*

The lab was a pretty good experience. I think it was hard for them to find tasks that I could do because you need to know a lot of calculus and engineering...both of which I don't know lol. But I did some coding, which was fun, and I learned a lot of math and engineering. I want to try out a chemistry or bio lab next summer, though. You seem pretty into science too (correct me if I'm wrong)? What are your favorite science classes? :D For some reason, a lot of people I've met either really like natural sciences (biology) and hate physics/math, or really hate natural sciences and love physics/math. 

Ahh school. I had orientation today and I'm going to the 7th grade orientation tomorrow as a Big Sib (kind of like a mentor), and then I'm starting classes on Thursday. I'm really excited to see the 7th graders, but I have a feeling it's going to be pretty hectic. Also it's hard to imagine these people starting 7th grade and not graduating until 2022. 2022??!!!! 

Ooh, what classes are you taking? Do you get a lot more leeway with choosing your classes, or do you have to fulfill some criteria or something?

HAHA can't believe how similar our summers were! And NO you never told me you were a twin! (or maybe you did and I forgot...oops)

My friend loves "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I think I was planning to read it long back, but I never got around to it. It's on my to-read list though (which is like 40 books long haha and I haven't been making much progress).

I love just hearing about old bookstores. :D Did you buy anything? Were there books in English/books you recognized?

Have a great school year!! Tell me about your first day :)

new

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:06 am

Hey! Haha, *foreboding music*...that about describes school right now, doesn't it? It's just the end of the second day, and I'm already beginning to feel stressed again. :/ Ahh, school. But, oh! your first day is tomorrow! (Right, Thursday?) Good luck! I hope your junior year is wonderful and as stress-free as possible! :grin:

I am into science! I'm a teeny bit more into, like, English and language arts and stuff, (oh, and also music) but I do love science, too! Hence the internship at the lab this summer. Lol, I guess I'm kind of weird then, because my favourite science subject is biology, but I also find physics quite interesting (even though I'm pretty bad at physics...I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before :lol: ). I don't like chemistry much, though. What about you? Do you like all science classes, generally? Which one's your favourite? 

You had orientation? At my school, orientation's just for new students and the freshmen. Ooh, but being a Big Sib to seventh graders sounds exciting! What do you need to do? Is it just for orientation, or do you keep meeting with them throughout the year?  Haha, yes 2022...I feel so oooold. :lol: How is that even possible? :lol:

Well, my school has a block schedule, so we only have four periods a day, and then our classes switch each semester. Right now, the only required class I have is the twelfth grade social studies/economics class which every senior has to take. Besides that, I currently have choir, AP Literature, AP Statistics, and AP Biology. My first day was pretty good; it was lovely seeing friends again. :grin: I'm super excited for lit! My teacher seems really nice, and it seems like just the kind of class I would love! Bio also seems like it will be interesting,  and I'm excited for choir (as always, haha :grin: ). What about you? You get to choose more of your classes this year, right? Which ones are you most excited for/not looking forward to as much?

The bookstore was amazing! :grin: It had a lot of English books, as well as books in various Indian languages (but I think it was a mostly English bookstore, actually), and plenty I recognized. I bought quite a few books there (couldn't resist, haha :grin: ), OH most notable among them Go Set A Watchman. HAVE YOU READ IT, LESTRIA, IF YOU HAVE WE NEEEEED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!! I love love love To Kill A Mockingbird, and GSAW made me cry! I won't say it wasn't a quite good book in its own right, (Nothing on TKAM, but that was expected) but...well I'll wait till I know if you've read it. 

Have a great day!

contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 pm

I just had my first day today and literally all my teachers were like "Here's a bunch of forms, here's some homework for tomorrow, and here is when your next test is!"

I remember I used to get annoyed by how every teacher would ask "what's the most interesting thing you did this summer" and how slowly they would go through the class expectations/syllabus, but this year there was none of that lol. They even told us to read the syllabus at home. It's like they have so much stuff (cough tests) to pack into the school year that time is just ticking like a detonator.

(But I'm still feeling good about school so far because it's like a natural instinct. Learning is cool. :'))

Same, I'm weird too! :D I like all science classes generally. Physics and comp sci are probs my fav because they're so interesting, but I really like biology too. And I'm taking AP Chem this year...

SPEAKING OF AP CHEM NEED TO RANT lolol I know it's only the first day but my teacher announced that we have a test in two weeks on a Friday and it's going to take 3 periods AND THAT FRIDAY IS THE SAME DAY I HAVE TO MISS SCHOOL FOR THE 7TH GRADE PICNIC. I can't really make up the test because it's 3 periods and I don't have that much space on my schedule. Which means I'll have to talk to the Big Sibs advisor about missing some of the picnic. Ugh, hope she's understanding.

As a Big Sib, I'm assigned to a particular 7th grade class and hang out with them during "official," which is this 20-minute period in the morning where we play games, answer their questions, make them feel loved. :D I have 3 fellow Big Sibs with me and we get along really well which is GREAT because I know some of my friends don't get along with their fellow Big Sibs in other classes, which is just awkward for everyone involved, you know?

Your school sounds really unique! How long is each period? In my school, each period is 40 minutes, so we have 8-9 periods per day haha. This year I get to choose only 2 electives lol (and I chose AP Spanish and AP Chem) but next year I get to choose all my classes, and I really want to take AP Stats! Tell me how it goes. :D

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, but haven't read Go Set a Watchman because I heard mixed reviews about it. People were talking about it the way they talked about J.K. Rowling Casual Vacancy, like the book wasn't very good because of the prolonged period of time that the author stopped writing. I might borrow it though, since you're so hyped about it? :D Why did you like it so much? (no spoilers though hehe idk if that gives you much room to talk)

Also do you know what books you're reading for Lit lol. I'm reading Scarlet Letter, Great Gatsby, Woman Warrior, Invisible Man, Death of a Salesman, and Things They Carried this year. I've only read Great Gatsby before, and I thought it was pretty boring LOL but my teacher apparently loves it so I'll keep that opinion to myself ;)

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Sorry to interrupt but regarding your test/picnic conflict, surely you're not the ONLY one that has this problem? Have you mentioned it to the teacher?

contributor

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 pm

@modkatie: Yes!! I finally talked to the Big Sib advisor and my chem teacher, who was very nice about the conflict and said that she would break the test into parts so that I can take it at different periods instead of just one 3-period block. I'm still a little stressed because I hope I can still concentrate when I'm taking the test in parts, but I'm trying to be positive :)

new

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:46 am

First of all, YAY!! I'm so glad your test/picnic conflict worded out! And oops all that must have been a few weeks ago at least, but how'd it all go? Did the test go okay? And how was the picnic?

Second of all, also YAY! again, because for the past two weeks, whenever I tried to click on this thread, it would just keep loading forever, but now I can finally reply! :grin:

Third of all, aww yes, I totally get what you mean about the detonator-school year. I hope you're still doing okay! Senior year has hit me like a hurricane, and it's been pretty busy. College apps are just so...ugh. :sad: Stressful. And sooo many essays! I do love to write, but essays aren't that much my thing, and mostly, it's just that there are so many of them! I think I need to chuck a few colleges off my 'to-apply' list because I'm seriously rethinking the number of essays I can write...and everyone's talking about college apps at school, and just, I'm really kind of nervous about it all at this point. :/ And now, okay, rant over. :razz:

And ooh, speaking of writing, NaNoWriMo is coming up again! I'm really not sure where I'm finding the time to do that, especially considering I'd kind of wanted to set my word count goal back at 50,000 this year, but I will definitely be trying! Maybe rethink that wc though... :lol:

Anyway, how's school been going for you, just generally? How are all your classes? Teachers? My AP Lit teacher's amazing! Besides being a really good teacher, she's just a really really sweet person, and she can be so funny without realizing it, because she just gets so excited about everything! When we have extra time at the end of class (admittedly this doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's so worth it) she lets us play games and gets really, REALLY excited about joining in. And the class is basically just reading things and discussing and analyzing different classics and poetry, so it is basically awesome! So far we have read Oedipus, Hamlet, Robinson Crusoe and we're currently in middle of Jane Eyre. :smile:

And oh dear, I think I need to clear something up from my last post...when I said Go Set A Watchman made me cry, I didn't mean it as in "it was so good it made me cry," I was kind of more going for, "it made me so mad, I cried." :lol: And when I said, I really hoped you'd read it so we could talk about it, I meant that if you'd read it, I needed to rant... :lol: Re-reading what I wrote I totally see how you could have thought I'd liked it though, which is pretty funny. But I have to tell you, if you HAVEN'T read it yet...DON'T!! :lol: Haha, I really didn't actually like it, though I do stand by what I said earlier about how it's probably a decent book in its own right.

Also, oh, oh, oh! Remember way

new

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Ahahaha oops, apparently I'm getting really good at only sending half my posts! Not really sure how that happened... :lol:

Anyway, I think this is what was in the rest of it: So remember way back around this time last year (lol, you probably don't :lol: ) when I was talking about this after-school choir group that I was auditioning for? And I was super upset when I didn't get in? (Not as upset as this spring about the other choir thing, but pretty disappointed.) Well this year, I did get in!! I'm so excited, it's the first audition I've ever made!! (Haha, Katie, you know that saying you told me in April about falling down seven times and getting up eight? Coincidentially, I think that this was the eighth one! :grin: )

Oh, and also, I'm pretty sure I had opinions on some of the books you said you were going to be reading for Lit and was airing them, so let's see...well, I kind of found the Scarlet Letter boring hehe, also same about The Great Gatsby. I agree with you on that one! But I surprisingly liked Death of a Salesman! I thought I wasn't going to before I read it, but it wasn't bad! Haha, my teacher said her favourite book ever is Wuthering Heights, and I couldn't even make it all the way through...:P

Each period at my school is about one and a half hours long. And we have four a day, and then they switch for second  semester. Stats so far is actually really boring for me...but it's not very difficult, as of now, so at least that. 

Ooh, also, tell me more about the picnic and your seventh graders! That sounds great! :grin:

Hope everything is going well for you! <3

contributor

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:42 pm

sidenote: I'm trying to eat pistachios and type this at the same time and I accidentally touched the touchpad and hit the backward button and my reply disappeared :'( and then my pistachio fell on the floor.

My chem test went well! The teacher was so nice about it. :') And the picnic was fun but tiring, because we had to run all over the school with the 7th graders for the scavenger hunt and then we played games like tug of war, which hurt my hands and my non-existent abs. :( Also, I couldn't go full out because I didn't want to overexert myself for the SAT, which was the day after the picnic haha.

(so nervous about scores they're coming out next week aiyah i'll probs burst into tears in the middle of chem)

Haha, this thread is prettttty longggggg. :') But also possibly my fav thread on the board.

I feel like I've reached a point in my academic career where I feel confident writing literary essays. BUT MAN PERSONAL ESSAYS are a different story. It's so difficult because I feel like I have no message for the reader and if my personal essay has no purpose then what is the point? Ugh, not looking forward to college essays next year. :(

~sending the Muses over to your side of town, along with lots of positivity and happiness and hugs and chocolate~ <3

Is your school competitive/stressful when it comes to college apps? I was talking to a senior and he said that even though they're all pretty much obsessed with the common app, they're still pretty close knit. Except for this one girl, who stopped talking to all her friends and ignored everyone in the hallways. I feel depressed sometimes when I go to college visits or when I talk to my friends about college, because I don't know what I want to do with my life or what I'm passionate about. 

Ahhahahahahaha I don't have college essays but I'm not doing nanowrimo...you are a writing goddess!!! :D Seriously, that's so AWESOME.

Haha, guess what class is giving me the most trouble...nope, not ap chem...

AP SPANISH IS SUCH A STRUGGLE. I don't know why I thought it would be okay...I don't know why I decided to take an ap language...I'm honestly so worried about the ap exam. You know how with math and science and stuff, you can figure out what makes you confused and study and learn? Language is so difficult and I know I need to put in more time in order to improve, but I feel like I'm improving at such a slow rate. HELP.

Your AP lit teacher sounds great! :D I've had Jane Eyre on my reading list for such a long time lol. My English teacher is pretty funny too, and we're reading The Scarlet Letter right now. I'm so mad though because when I was reading it on the subway, a random person SPOILED it for me and now I feel so disappointed at not being able to enjoy the final revelation. Gah!

HAHAHAHA I had no idea that you didn't like Go Set a Watchman! You can rant to me if you want, I feel like I won't read it because of the bad reviews and I have a bazillion things on my reading list, which just keeps getting longer and longer haha.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Ha! You remember my saying!!! I love that saying. I can't take credit for it though. One of my bosses said it to me once. :)

new

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

@Katie: It's a good saying. :razz:

@Lestria: HEY! *is back* :grin: Let's see if I can get through this whole post without accidentally submitting it...

How was your Thanksgiving? Did you do anything fun/see any family/eat any good food? I don't have any particular Thanksgiving stories because we don't celebrate it that much, but oh! The first proper snowfall of the year where the snow actually accumulated was on Thanksgiving, which was fun! :grin: It's not there anymore, though...do you have any snow on the ground right now? Any chances of any snow days? Haha, my mom asked me why I would want any school cancelled in my last year, but I look at it as my last chance to enjoy the bliss of a snow day as well... :lol:

Yay about your chem test! Nice teachers are the best. Ooh, how did your SAT go? I've been taking ever so many subject tests lately, and I just took the bio one last weekend, which is the last date I can, so however that goes I guess I'm done with standardized testing for now. :smile:

AND OH YES, NANOWRIMO...went fairly well! :grin: I had to rethink my word count goal and then rethink it again to fit it in with all everything else in my schedule, and it ended up going down to 17,300, and was STILL a struggle, which was somewhat disappointing. Still, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. :grin: Of course, as usual, I'm nowhere near done with my actual novel at 17,300, so we shall see if I can summon up more post-Nano motivation than I usually can and actually keep writing come January... :lol:

I am also feeling kind of accomplished because I actually finished applying to a couple colleges, and have the illusion that I finished applying to three because of the essay I had to write for the National Merit finalist application thingy. I am finding that personal essays are a super struggle, but that I am actually kind of pleased with SOME of the end products. My biggest problem is procrastination. Especially when coming up with ideas. :mrgreen: How have all your writing endeavours been going?

*Thankfully recieves Muses and hugs and chocolate and sends back more hugs and key lime pie to Lestria*

I wouldn't say my school is super obsessed with college apps...I mean, there are definitely some people who are, but as a whole, not so much? Idk, it's hard to say for sure. There are definitely quite a few people I know who are very competitive, but not to the point of breaking friendships. And I know what you mean!! I feel like that about college a lot, too, but less recently since it's been more about getting apps done? YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT, I BELIEVE IN YOU. <3 (Ooh, also, sidenote: wouldn't it be awesome if we somehow ended up going to the same college and meeting each other in real life? I mean, we'd probably never realize it lol, but the idea just popped into my head. :lol: )

Haha, I've heard that about AP Spanish from a few of my other friends, too. Is your teacher good? Lol, I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat with French next semester, except even worse because I tested out of the previous level during the summer after sophomore year, and have thus not touched the language in over a year. :o I agree, languages can definitely be really difficult!

Ooh, The Scarlet Letter. I actually found it kind of boring. :/ Did you like it? What else have you been reading lately, in class, and out? In my lit class, we just read The Old Man and the Sea, which I didn't expect to like, but surprisingly did. But it also made me sad...:'( Have you read it? Also, aah, yes, spoilers are so annoying!! When we were younger, my sister used to spoil almost every book she read first for me, but thankfully, this doesn't happen anymore. :lol:

And oh! One more thing...so I made all of my friends cards for Thanksgiving (which, admittedly, was kinda a while ago now), and I have no way to give you an actual, physical card, buuuuut, I just wanted to tell you how glad I am that we're friends. Thank you for always being supportive, whether I'm moaning or ranting or celebrating, for putting up with the loooong time I can take to reply to things, and for all of the wonderful conversations. I love these boards for many reasons, but I think that the most special thing the Stacks has given me is our friendship. <3 Love you!

~Songbird49

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Wahhhhh!!!! You all are GROWING UP SO FAST!!!!!! College?!!?

contributor

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanksgiving was pretty quiet because same, my family doesn't celebrate it really, but my mom and I went Black Friday shopping for the first time! It wasn't that hectic, and there were some pretty good deals. I got half of my Christmas shopping done. :D

IT HASN'T SNOWED YET ARGGHHHHH!!! It's like 50 degrees nowadays and last week it was sunny and like 65 degrees and my friend and I were lounging around outside and the sun was kind of nice but it was also like WHAT IT'S DECEMBER HOW

So yeah, probability of snow days is like 0% right now lol.

Oh yeah, in the past, at my school, the seniors get to miss class for the first snow day and they just drink hot chocolate and play in the snow and stuff :') can't wait for that next year

Yes, I'm done with the SAT!!! and with standardized testing! Except for APs I guess...but I'm done with my SAT and subject tests!!!!! yessss

this past week was pretty bad because I'm submitting a research project I did over the summer to a competition and it was so much writing and paperwork and I messed up one of my forms and had to redo it and it was just really stressful. >.< but I submitted everything on Wednesday! so I'm done with that too!

Now I just have to get through another AP chem test this Friday lol.

I haven't written anything creative except for school haha. But this year, I got a lot more hw in English class because my teacher is the chair of the English department at my school and she makes us do a lot more work...and I feel like my formal essays on books have gotten a lot better. :D

Good luck with college! And the National Merit app! ahhhh <3333333 ALSO OMG IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME IF WE WENT TO THE SAME COLLEGE AND MET EACH OTHER :'D we can dream!!!

(thanks for the key lime pie! yummy)

My AP Spanish teacher is retiring after this semester, which makes me sad and kind of angry because he WROTE THE FREAKING AP SPANISH TEXTBOOKS and he knows a lot about the exam...but I feel a lot more confident after preparing in just these past few months and I guess a lot of it is just working hard on your own.

Yeah I agree, the Scarlet Letter was pretty boring. I ended up skimming the end, which I usually never do, but the style reminded me of Dickens -- in a bad way, I think that Dickens' writing style is very dry and dense and difficult to understand. We're actually reading Hemingway short stories now! We read "Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" and "A Clean Well-Lit Place." I didn't like either of them that much because they were so painfully sad. Like you know when a story/book is kind of incoherent (cough Kafka, Tim O'Brien) and the themes/message are so depressing and cynical.

I recently read Things Fall Apart and The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (by Haruki Murakami!) when I was trying to choose a book for my term paper. I'm going with One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez though. Have you read any of those? What are you reading now?

awww that was so sweet! <3 I love and appreciate you so much too, sometimes I don't want or don't know how to tell something to my friends/fam and I'm so glad I can have someone to trust and relate to and talk to. :')

new

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:01 pm

AHHH I HAVE NOW EMERGED FROM MY COLLEGE APP CAVE OF DEATH AND CAN REINTEGRATE WITH SOCIETY YAAAAAAAAAAYYY :lol: :lol: :lol:

(@Katie: Wahh I know, how is college creeping up on me so fast?? :lol: )

@Lestria: Whew this has been a long two months, and oh my god, I thought I'd replied to this weeeeks ago! D: So first of all: Happy New Year!! How's 2016 going for you so far? :D Any snow YET?? Lol it snowed here the day AFTER Christmas, which was fun, but everyone was kind of disappointed it couldn't have happened just one day sooner. How was your winter break? Mine was kind of boring :/ I mean, just so much college stuff to get donnnne, but victory! I finished all my apps on time! :D And I thought that it would be over come January, but then I've had college interviews all this month, and siriusly why are they even a thing, I'd honestly rather write more essays even though those take up more time. :/ But that's all done now, and hopefully I can slack off some this semester! :)

Ooh, seniors get to skip school on the first snow day, why does this not happen at my school lol. But NICE, that's awesome about being done with all your tests so soon! Aww, I hope your days have become less stressful, but good luck with your research project competition thing! And with AP chem! Lol, whenever I hear my friends talking about that class, it actually sounds really fun, and I kind of wish I'd taken it. I just didn't have any space though!! How is it at your school?

Ahh, thank you!! AND YES SIRIUSLY THAT WOULD BE THE BEST, AND I'M SURE WE'D FIGURE IT OUT EVENTUALLY AND THEN JUST IMAGINE :lol: <3333

Aww, he's retiring in the middle of the school year? That seems a bit odd. But I'm sure you'll do great on the AP test still!

So it's term end for me right now, so I'm going to be completely switching classes on Monday. Except not really, because AP Bio is three terms and choir is alternate day year-round with economics, which means I'm really only switching AP Lit with AP Lang and Comp. and AP stats with French. :razz: Which I am going to absolutely fail, by the way. I haven't done any French in so looong! I was actually really sad to lose AP Lit. Our whole class got really close, and on the last day, we had this huge feast and made pancakes and read poetry and played charades, and then we were kind of all like, "what are we going to do without this class wahh" :')

Ooh, Hemingway, I haven't read much Hemingway, just The Old Man and the Sea, but all his stuff sounds really sad! I actually like some of Dickens' works, like Oliver Twist and David Copperfield, but I agree they can be really dry sometimes. Ooh, how was His Years of Pilgrimage? I've heard Murakami's books are all really confusing; was it? I haven't read any of those, except One Hundred Years of Solitude, which OMG YES READ IT READ IT READ IT, IT IS BEAUTIFUL <3

In English, I just finished reading All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, which was a little confusing at first because stream-of-consciousness, but got easier as you go along. Have you read it? It was pretty good, but eek, depressing. :/ Outside of school, I just finished this book called Mistborn by I-don't-remember-who, possibly Brandon Sanderson? I will go look this up! Yesss, I was right! :grin: It was also pretty good/page-turning, which was nice. :razz:

And oh, while we're talking about reading, could we talk about poetry? :razz: What are some of your favourite poems/poets to read? I was just reading The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S Elliot again for the millionth time, and aljdsf I love that poem so much! It's just so vulnerable and human. <3 Have you read it? I was absolutely obssessed with it back in September. I also love reading practically everything by Maya Angelou, but I think my favourites are Still I Rise and On the Pulse of the Morning.

Anyway, hope you're having a wonderful start to the year! <3

contributor

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:54 am

Congrats on finishing your apps! WELCOME BACK TO SOCIETY!!!! hahaha actually during the last week of January, I literally shut myself in my room for three days to study for midterms and when I finally walked outside, my eyes were momentarily blinded by how freaking bright the sunlight was. Also it might have been because there were piles of snow everywhere and it reflected the light like crazy.

IT SNOWED!!!!! HURRAH! Happened about a week ago...first snowfall AND first big snowfall! It snowed for like 36 hours and the snow was like 3 feet high. IT WAS SO GREAT on the first day and then it turned into huge piles of slush. :/

Haha happy belated new year! Also happy early Chinese New Year! Which is next Monday. :)

My winter break was pretty boring too, some science program apps to write, plus catching up on work. :/ But it was a nice kind of boring, you know?

Ohh, how were college interviews? Did you meet them in a coffee shop? Every day now there's seniors dressed up in suits and nice dresses but they look so sad about life. :'(

AP Chem is fun because I love my teacher haha, and also the stuff we learn is pretty interesting, especially when it applies to everyday life. I can't think of an example off the top of my head because right now I'm actually procrastinating working on my English outline for my term paper UGH I'M SO ANNOYED because recently, I just find English class really pointless. Like I love reading, but for the plot/characters, and I'm so sick of analyzing stuff, especially because authorial intent seems sort of iffy like maybe the author didn't really make that action/object symbolic but just wrote it in because he/she felt like it. Also I never stick with my outline -- terrible habit, I know, but I always just find something more interesting to write about. Plus, right now, my thesis is about love and I DON'T WANT TO WRITE ABOUT LOVE because I already wrote an essay about love (on a different book) last year, but I already selected my quotes and love is a common theme and I'm too lazy to reselect quotes UGH I KNOW I'M RAMBLING BUT I'M JUST SOOOO FED UP.

Anyway.

Years of Pilgrimage wasn't that confusing -- I read on the Internet that Murakami's books can generally be divided into two categories of writing style, minimalistic or ostentatious. This was definitely minimalistic, and it was pretty good, but it didn't make that much of an impression on me in the end.

Ahahaha I don't really read poetry? Again because I'm lazy lol and it takes me so long to understand a poem, which I know is the point, you're supposed to immerse yourself in the meaning, but I'm an impatient person haha. Hit me up with fast paced plots please.

(Sorry, I've just been so frustrated with English these past few weeks and this outline is just more fuel for my frustration.)

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Why do the seniors look so miserable??

contributor

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:54 am

@Katie: Ah, I think they're just stressed about college. Especially because some people might not have gotten in early decision but know that their friends have, which creates pressure and tension and sadness. :( Actually, last week, during a lunch period, all the seniors went into the auditorium and just screamed out their anger/anxiety -- and it was approved by the administration too haha.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Ugh- that's no good!!! Funny (yet sad) about the scream fest. :)

[ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team