Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Re: @songbird49
new

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:46 pm

HI HAPPY LATE PI DAY!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: Did you do anything fun? Did you eat pie??

Ahaha, I kind of know what you mean about all the pressure/tension/sadness going around about college right now...a lot of my friends got in places early, and I didn't apply anywhere early at all. And I mean, it was like the best feeling to find out that they'd gotten in because I really wanted them to, but at the same time, it also made me kind of anxious. (Especially since some of my friends so far have gotten into, um, Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, MIT and UChicago...and I know know know that big names aren't that important, and I'm actually not super hung up on it, but...it's still just a little stressful, you know? :P ) And now starting this week, regular decisions are beginning to trickle in (I think my first one comes tomorrow), so...lol. :mrgreen: The scream fest sounds great though. XD (Why didn't I get to scream in the auditorium??) :lol:

Oh college interviews, I'm so glad they're over! (But this is because I'm just generally awkward and suck at interviews, not because they're that terrible.) They were actually less stressful than I expected them to be, and some of the interviewers were really nice! Some of them were weird though...like I was totally not prepared for the one who asked me not one thing about myself and instead expected me to spend forty-five minutes questioning them about the school lol. Most of them were indeed in coffee shops, but I had one in the person's office.

On a less icky note, how was your pi day? Did you celebrate it at all? :razz: (I already asked you this first, didn't I? Oh, well, I'm too lazy to change it :razz: ) The last couple of years, a few of my friends and I have been having a pi day picnic at the park where we eat pie and generally end up swarming the nearby playground, which is super fun. XD And this year, it was extra wonderful, because a couple of my friends who are at college right now were able to come because of spring break, and I don't get to see them much anymore. :grin:

Ooh, speaking of spring break, when's yours? Mine begins end of March, and I'm SO ready for it. (Well, and kind of not, because *most* college decisions come out right around then, too, and although I'm in a minority about this, I honestly don't mind waiting, and would prefer it if they were still in the distance :P )

Haha, how did your paper turn out? I know what you mean about being fed up of analyzing things (and honestly, sometimes some of the analysis seems so stretched, like was that REALLY what the author was trying to get at here?? :lol: ) but I still usually enjoy it. Ooh, how did your essay go?? Love is a really common theme (though what I've gleaned from AP Lit is that the most common themes are usually depressing lol :lol: ) What book was it on? I hope it went well (and I'm sure you managed it!) <3

Ahaha fine, no poetry then. :grin: As far as books go, I read a few Franz Kafka short stories recently, and they are REALLY weird. Have you read any? Some of them are downright disturbing...On the lighter reading side, I'm in middle of a random fantasy book right now, called, I think, Magic or Madness by I'm-Not-Sure-Who, which is pretty good! Lol, I feel like I haven't done much lighter reading in a while for some reason, so this is refreshing! :grin:

What have you been reading? Doing? How goeth your life, my friend? :grin: <3

new

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:26 am

@Katie: Hi!! <3 So I posted on here a couple days ago, and it didn't show up, but I noticed that other things have...did it send? Anyway, if it didn't, I guess I'll try to retype... :grin: :

@Lestria: Ahaha, that scream fest sounds like an awesome idea, and ahhh I do get what you're talking about with pressure/tension/sadness and stuff over college. I mean, when I typed this out the first time a few days ago, I was talking about how awesome it had felt when some of my friends got in (really good) places early, but how later it made me anxious, especially because I hadn't even applied anywhere early. And then I'm pretty sure I said something about how my first college decision was coming out on Wednesday...yes, well now...eek, I don't know, I absolutely hadn't realized how stressful this was going to be. (In case you haven't realized, I got rejected from that one lol) And I mean, there have been two more since then, and I have got accepted into one of those two, but it wasn't really any of the ones I wanted...but see, the reason I was so upset about the first one and am progressively getting anxiouser and anxiouser (that sounded like Alice in Wonderland! :mrgreen: ) is rather more complicated then just, i don't know, wanting to get into the places I applied (though I mean, there's always that, too. :/ For everyone, I think), but I don't want to just rant at you. :/ But see, that was where my twin got in early, and I really really want us to go to the same college, and now I'm just seeing the chances of some kind of overlap decreasing and decreasing, and ugh, loads of people are stressed right now, and so am I. I had my first melt down of the school year today and suddenly started stress crying during lunch (though that was about two other things as well as college, one of which was sending me into an absolute panic, unfortunately) But somehow, I just hadn't realized how stressful this would be, this waiting, now that it has begun. And I KNOW it's not that important, and this isn't the end of the world and shouldn't feel like it, but...idk. And being rejected just feels icky. And I thought I was prepared for it because a large proportion of the schools I applied to it's just really unlikely to get in. But somehow, I hadn't quite realized how all out awful and anxious this would be. :/ Anyway, rant over now, haha. Wow, that was such an incoherent mess of a block of text, and thank you so much if you actually read all of it (and you too, Katie!!).

Anyway: HURRAY FOR SNOW!!! And happy late pi day! Did you do anything fun? Eat pie? :razz: Although this has all round been a rough week for me, the one really fun thing I did on monday was a pi day picnic that some of my friends and I have been having for the last couple of years, in which we each bring a pie to the park and ended up swarming a nearby playground. :grin: And a couple of my college friends who I haven't gotten to see in a while were able to come because they were back home for spring break, which was the best. :grin: (Speaking of spring break, when's yours??)

Ooh, college interviews, so glad they're over (though this is because I'm awkward and suck at interviews, not because they are actually terrible, and I'm sure you'll do wonderful when you have them. :grin: ) Most of mine were in coffee shops, but one was in the person's office. Most of the interviewers were actually really nice! Though some of them were kind of weird...like I was not prepared for the one who asked me not one thing about myself but instead expected me to ask him questions about the university the whole forty-five minutes instead. :lol:

And how did your English paper go? Oh, I get what you mean about pointlessness. I mean, I usually enjoy analyzing things, but there are times when it just seems so STRETCHED, and you just can't help wondering if the author really REALLY intended for that symbolism over there or whatever. :razz: Anyway, I'm sure you did fine!

Ahaha, fine, no poetry then. As far as books go, I just finished a couple of YA fantasy books from the library that were lighter reading than I've done in a bit, which was enjoyably refreshing. :razz: Unfortunately, I don't remember titles or authors--and am too lazy to go find them--so I'll try to tell you them next time.

I should really go to bed now (I'm sure my lack of sleep from studying for a test today at least partially contributed to my panicking and crying this morning lol), so goodnight! Also, I realize that this post still somehow turned out to be primarily me ranting, so ugh, sorry about that. How is everything for you? Oh, and Katie, if you just didn't get around to approving my other post here, but it actually did make it to you, sorry for double posting so much of it!!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Sorry! I was on vacation!

new

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 pm

@Katie: Ahaha, I read your post and figured that out approximately five minutes after I posted the second time, and then I felt bad about it...sorry!!

(Also, Lestria: OH MY GOSH, WE'RE ON OUR FOURTH PAGE!! *throws confetti* *busts out pinata* :grin: )

contributor

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 pm

@songbird49: OMG MASSIVE POST <3_<3 and I can't believe you retyped it too <333

Happy belated pi day to you too! I love pi day because all the math teachers at my school geek out (especially last year since it was 3/14/15 9:26:53 and this kid won the talent show for reciting like 100 digits of pi), but no, I don't think I've ever eaten pie on pi day. Buuuut I do have this huge cheesecake in my refrigerator right now! (yeah ok not completely relevant, but the cheesecake is good and huge and it's also taking my family forever to eat it haha) Anyway, your pi day tradition sounds so fun. :') What kind of pie did you eat? Do you have a favorite type of pie? 

YES big names and especially Ivy Leagues are stressful to hear. :( And yeah, I've heard from the seniors that Ivies usually come out end of March, beginning of April, which is also when the New York primaries are! Some of the seniors have been grumbling about this, but I'm just sad that I won't get to vote in this election. 

MY SPRING BREAK IS THE LAST WEEK OF APRIL SIGH. I literally have 8 weeks of uninterrupted school, which must be some kind of new record, which definitely says something about the state of America's education system, I know, but oof. Getting up in the morning. I really hope one day they look at those scientific studies about how kids are lacking sleep right now and do better later in the morning and maaaaybe they'll change the starting time to 9 am? It would be too late for us, but think of the future generations!!

I haven't gotten my paper back ahhhh I'm scared because this was like THE major assignment of this quarter and my English grade is riding on it and I think the paper turned out okay? The outline was the worst part haha, and the drafting process wasn't that bad. I do admit that I am disappointed because this paper was supposed to be the "culmination" of my high school English career (according to the English department), but it just felt like a normal paper. Or, at least, I treated it as a normal term paper because I wasn't that attached to the book (One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez). 

Agreed, Kafka is sooo weird. I read Metamorphosis last year and some short stories and didn't enjoy them. 

Back to colleges...ARGH I WISH I COULD REACH THROUGH THE SCREEN AND HUG YOU BUT FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T. :( I know this senior who is one of the nicest, kindest, smartest people in my school and for some reason he didn't get in early decision or to the first schools he applied to and uGH THIS PROCESS IS SO UNFAIR. But actually -- idk if I told you about this before -- he told me about how one of his friends literally ignored him and their other friends for the first semester because of stress and he was like "if I have any one piece of advice to you, it's to hang on to your friends." so yeah, I'm always here for you if you need to rant or celebrate and I love you a lot! <3

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm

No worries!!!

new

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:46 am

Ahhh thank you so much, Lestria, and I love you lots and lots tooo <333 *Virtual hug, because virtual hugs are the best* (except for real hugs, unfortunately, aghh stupid computer screens :'( ) And you can definitely always rant to me too!

I am decidedly feeling better right now than I was that day I posted the second time (Ohh though, I remember what was going on that day; it was solo/ensemble contest for voice, and singing solos in front of judges always throws me into freak-out mode. Also, at the time when I was writing that, I hadn't thought I'd done well/made it to regions, so there was that--though it turns out I did!! :grin: ) And also it was just the day after the one college my sister got into early that I'd really wanted to get into came out, and I was upset about that...lol, I'm decidedly less of a mess today. My last decisions come out Thursday (Indeed, ivies, sigh), and so far this has been one big rejection fest, but oh well. :? I'm just excited for spring break.

Ooh cheesecake, I love (love, love) cheesecake lol, and it is ALWAYS relevent. :razz: Woww, a hundred digits of pi is a lot! How do your math teachers celebrate pi day/geek out? I think we had banana cream pie, apple pie, strawberry pie, and peach pake (lol I made that one :mrgreen: ) this year. I think my favourite pie is possibly apple? But oh, lemon pie is really good! And my mom made an awesome plum pie once! And french silk pie! (In short, I don't know if I can pick a favourite...do you have one?)

Anywaay, goodness, your spring break is ages away!! :( That sounds truly dreadful. My school district has actually been having a huge debate the last couple of years about changing start times, and I think they might for next year, or the year after. (I mean, not to nine, but eight, I think?) But it's kind of controversial because a lot of the high schoolers who are in sports or a lot of activities and only get home after dark/really late anyway don't really want them to change it, and a lot of kids are saying it won't actually help them sleep more, just even later. I'm not really sure, but lol, I won't be there next year anyway. Woah that's a scary thought. I'm still having a hard time envisioning the fact that I'll be going away to college...it's especially abstract because, I mean, I don't know where it'll be yet so I don't have anywhere specific to imagine, but, just, eek, college! XD

Eeeee GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PAPER!!! But nooooooo, Lestriaa, One Hundred Years of Solitude is soo goooood. :lol: Lol, I loved that book a lot (though I'll admit there were points when it started losing me, and before someone pointed out the family tree to me when I was about halfway through, I was really struggling keeping the characters straight, haha) But by the end, I was just awestruck. Though I didn't like Chronicle of a Death Foretold (by Gabriel Garcia Marquez also) much at all (it was disturbing, somehow), and by the time I read Love In the Time of Cholera, I think i was just ready for a break from all the magical realism. :lol: But I love his short stories!! They're so beautiful!

But I bet you aced your English paper!! Lol I know what you mean about anticlimactic culminations--we had this 20 page paper for my economics class that we've been working on all year that kept being made a huge deal of, but when we finally turned it in last week...well, it hadn't actually been that much work, and it didn't feel very special. XD What did you write about though, with love? It sounds like a pretty interesting premise. xD

Oh, and also returning to college...yes, I agree with your friend about keeping your friends!! That's always important! Though I don't think I know anybody who did something like that...wow, poor kid, I feel really bad for him, he must have been so stressed. :( (Also, I hope your nice, kind, smart friend gets into some school he wants to!! I hope everyone does!) Lol, one of my friends and my sister and I are actually meeting and having a fun day all thursday until late afternoon when decisions come out in order to make sure we don't stress too much XD

So what books have you read that you actually liked recently? OH, random, but one of my college friends said he visited NY and The Strand bookstore recently (actually a while ago, but I only remembered now :lol: ), and that it was awesome! That was the bookstore you and Katie were talking about earlier right? I want to go there so badly now!! :grin:

I hope you are doing wonderfully, and tell me about your day!

Love,

Songbird49 <3

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Yes! It was The Strand!! (I'm butting in here)  :)

GOOD LUCK Thursday!! I'll be thinking about you! 

contributor

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:17 am

Heeey. So I had this interview today with a lab for this summer science program and I can't tell whether it went well...I think I came off a little aloof and unenergetic because I didn't eat lunch (terrible decision, I know now...but I spent lunch looking over the guy's research so that I could talk about it with him). Anyway, I had three project ideas and he liked one of them, but completely shot down the other two as impractical/not worth the effort. He was also sort of arrogant and I feel sad because I really like his research (it's in bioengineering!) and it fits with my interests/skills and he's interviewing 5 other kids and idk if I made a good impression.

Anyway, back to pi(e) lol. This year my math team teacher sent out this mass email filled with pi day memes and they were so funny/cute. Last year a bunch of the math teachers wore pi day shirts and told us bad pi jokes haha. French silk pie sounds really good. I've only ever tried apple pie though and it was from a store. In conclusion: I need to make more friends who can bake me food :).

I wrote my term paper on how Amaranta and Rebeca's failed romantic relationships lead them to isolate themselves from society and live in solitude. I remember the ending of One Hundred Years of Solitude made me tear up a little the first time I read it, and yeah, I agree that it's a pretty good book in that the threads tie together nicely into a compact plot. But I just feel so not in the mood for analyzing books anymore. One of my classmates wrote his term paper on Chronicle of a Death Foretold! (and two other people did One Hundred Years of Solitude haha). We read Chronicle of a Death Foretold last year and I agree, it didn't interest me very much.

I got my English term paper grade back and it was better than I thought haha, but now I have a history term paper due in two weeks...sigh it never ends. I'm writing mine on the Cuban missile crisis and I thought it'd be more science but it's actually all international relations and shady diplomacy stuff. Your econ paper sounds so rough...I don't think I can write a 20 page paper. I'm struggling to write 8 pages right now lol. I don't think I'm taking a history class next year, but I'm taking an English though to balance out my math/science electives :D

My friend got into college (!), but he's disappointed that he didn't get into the ones that he really wanted to go to. :( I feel nervous because a lot of the seniors I know had really good grades and extracurriculars, but they were all somewhat disappointed in the colleges they got into. The process is so random. :(

The Strand is amazing! <3 But I haven't read any books recently haha *hides face in shame* Have you?

new

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Ahhh *so many hugs* I'm sorry your interview didn't go as well as you wanted it to. :(But it doesn't sound like it went badly!! Even if you did come off as a little distant, it sounds like you were REALLY well prepared, and I think it's actually pretty good if he liked one of your ideas! Plus even if he shot down the other two, the fact that you already had all those ideas should count for something...I hope you get in!! Tell me what happens!

Lol, your math teachers sound pretty awesome. :razz:But you've only ever had store pie?? This is why we need to meet in real life: I COULD TOTALLY BE YOUR BAKING FRIEND, I BAKE FOOD ALL THE TIME (lolll, to be honest, my sister actually bakes a lot more often then me, but we do bake things together quite a bit!)

Haha, I have to admit that for a second I saw the words "Amaranta and Rebecca" and got really confused and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. Despite my love for that book, remembering all the characters and keeping them straight always makes my head spin. :lol:Yesss, I cried too at the end a little, and yeah, that was probably one of the things that amazed me the most; how such a long, convoluted, and kinda rambling story wrapped up so nicely and tied together in the end. But I get not being in the mood for analyzing things. I think I'm kind of there myself right now, especially with poetry. But on the other hand, I'd just love to get my lit class of last semester back right now, and we did nothing but analyze everything in there, so. Mmph. Idk. Lol, a bunch of us from that class surprised our teacher by bursting into her classroom with food after school on the last day before spring break and had a reunion. 'Twas beautiful. :')

Speaking of spring break, mine ended last week, sigh times a million. But that means yours starts soon, right? Are you going to be doing anything fun?

Yay about your English paper!! :DAhaha, this march of papers IS neverending, so true...but the econ paper wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at the beginning of the year when they told us we had to write 15-25 pages. I was like, I can't do this lol, but we did it so slowly, it just...got done. Which is NOT to say that my paper was any kind of decent quality writing, as that was my slacker class of this year (it's the required class for all seniors at my school, and therefore their standards do not seem awfully high...). In fact, my paper was pretty awful, but it's over now, and we'll see what happens with that. :roll:

Back to college...aww, I'm glad he got into college (lol, I'd never considered the alternative as a possibility though, he definitely sounded like someone who'd GET INTO COLLEGE :lol:), but I get his disappointment at it not being any of the ones he was really hoping for, and I'm sorry. :(That's basically what happened to me, too...though I mean, I feel bad for feeling bad, because the college I got into IS perfectly amazing and lovely, but, just...ugh. I hate admitting that I'm disappointed, because I probably shouldn't be, but...I kinda am? I've mostly gotten over it now though. However, I must just inform you that WAITLISTS ARE PAIN, AND TORTURE, AND SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED. Lolll, ugh, I really wasn't expecting this. I mean, I think I knew they were a thing, but I guess I just didn't know they were so...common? I got waitlisted by almost half the schools I didn't get into, which just seems kind of ridiculous, because bleh, so much limbo. I didn't accept all of them, and I'm only kind of hung up on one really (U. something- Katie removed- sorry-, because--well, it's the one I was talking about earlier, though the stats are horrible and I really shouldn't be). I also took P and C's, but asdfkj;l, I'm not actually thinking about them much because getting off the waitlist is just not a thing that's going to happen. So on that note, I've almost definitely decided where I'm going to go! Wooh! :grin:Am I allowed to say though? I kind of thought I was, because I feel like I've seen other Stackers mention where they go to college, but it seems kind of personal to me, so...? Can I, Katie?

Anyway, I think I've been rambling about college quite enough now--sorry about that, it's just been what's been on everyone around me's minds lately? (sigh, I'm actually really tired of all its associated stress/drama at this point...so many disappointed people I know :'( ) Oh! Though I wanted to ask you: is your high school super competitive? Because I've heard NY schools are, and I'm just kinda curious...I have extended family who lives there, and whenever they talk about it, it sounds scary cutthroat compared to the rather laidback midwest, lol. (Sidenote: I feel like that might have sounded kind of offensive to New York? IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE, I'M SURE THERE ARE WONDERFUL SCHOOLS THERE, just...yeah :P)

ONTO THE BOOKS! Haha, this is going to sound tangential, but remember when we first started this thread? Lol, I was reading some of the oldest posts...I can't believe they were almost two years ago now! :') Anywaaay: THIS IS RELATED TO BOOKS, I PROMISE because remember how you were reading Cinder back then? Well, I saw it at the library recently and picked it up, and it just so happens to be what I'm reading right now! I'm not very far in yet...but it's pretty gripping! :grin:

(In a complete non-sequitur) what kind of music have you been listening to lately? I've just gotten off a re-obsession with the Les Mis soundtrack, and a fairly new kind-of-obsession with the Hamilton soundtrack (lots of show tunes lol), and I would love some new suggestions! :mrgreen:

(In another complete non-sequitur--lol, on second thought, I'm not sure why I'm pointing these ones out, considering my posts are always full of them) how's your life going? <3

contributor

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm still waiting for the interview results eeeep...

PLEASE BAKE FOOD FOR ME. Lol remember how I said that I'm a Big Sib for a 7th grade class? My fellow Big Sibs and I are supposed to bake food for their birthdays but none of us can bake well so we just all buy food haha. Also my friend told me about how when she was younger, her friend had a birthday party where she baked her own cake, but apparently she put SALT INSTEAD OF SUGAR in the cake and all the kids were trying to force it down and be polite but then the friend's mom tried it and was like ?????? and went out and bought them real cake haha. Also on the subject of cake (which I know more about than pie), there's this store and their cakes are sooo beautiful (and expensive but still so beautiful) and my friend just told me about it and I want to try it ahh. I also love this Korean-French bakery with really great cakes that aren't too sweet (my pet peeve is too sweet frosting) and their cakes taste so light and airy!!

It's so sweet that you planned a surprise for your teacher! She must've been a really great teacher :DI like my English teacher this year because even though she looks scary, she's really caring and totally a mom type and gives us Yiddish words of the day haha! But she gives us so much hw ;_;

This is my last week of school before spring break! But I have APs the day I come back, which stinks. My family is actually going on a trip for a few days, but I'm bringing my AP study books bc I'm kind of worried. :(Did you do anything fun for spring break?

Omg is senioritis a thing at your school too? There are some seniors in my chem class who just don't go to class anymore lol and the ones who go to class don't do their hw.

Waitlists sound so horrible. I'm so happy for you though, that you've finally made the decision!! Do you know what you're doing this summer or whether you're planning anything with your friends? Also did you go on college visits before you applied? I don't know whether to go...my parents were like we'll go if you wanna go, but idk, does seeing the college in person really make a big difference? I feel like I could just look at pictures online LOL I'M SO LAZY.

My school is sort of competitive, I guess. I mean people definitely compare grades and calculate their GPA all the time, but I feel like the administration does a lot to alleviate competition, for example by not releasing rankings to students or colleges. Also, especially in junior year, people are trying to rack up some extracurriculars and sometimes it's overwhelming, but I feel like at my school, it isn't that bad because it's fairly small, like 200 people per grade. I've heard that at the larger competitive schools in NY (also in NJ), it's more cutthroat because everyone has such amazing accomplishments. But also I feel like personally, I cared more about Ivy League when I was younger and my parents don't pressure me because they've heard a lot from their colleagues that your undergrad education doesn't matter that much as long as you have good grades and you can still get into really good grad schools. But don't worry, it's not an offensive question at all! I've actually never really heard that LOL, I always assumed that there's always some stress/pressure in competitive schools throughout the nation, no matter what state you're in.

OMG CINDER!!!! HAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST STARTED IT!!! The last book just came out recently and I picked it up at a bookstore and flipped through the first few pages, but I had read the series so long ago that I felt a little apathetic about the couple that I had shipped so much before. Speaking of delayed books in series, I just want to point out that in like 2008, in elementary school, I read this book called The Girl Who Could Fly and it was one of my favorite books at that time and just a couple of months ago, one of my seventh grader Little Sibs was reading THE SEQUEL and I was like when did that come out??? Apparently it just came out this year AKA 8 YEARS LATER!!!!!! But apparently the sequel is really weird and not as good as the original.

I listen to Spanish music now LOL to help prep for the AP. I actually just downloaded Jennifer Lopez's Spanish album last week and it's really good. I also listen to classical music bc it helps me sleep and I also love movie soundtracks (like the Harry Potter soundtrack! My iPod is like 25% Harry Potter soundtrack). Also you should listen to "Time" by Hans Zimmer, which was a soundtrack song from the movie Inception but it's literally the most beautiful song I've ever heard.

Hamilton is SO GREAT AH and I love Broadway showtunes too! I like the songs from the musical Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and also Curtains (which my school put on a production of a few years ago). The first time I listened to songs from Les Mis was actually from Glee hahaha, but agreed, it's pretty great too.

This post is so long sorry!!! and now I have to go work on my term paper. :(due on Friday

new

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:28 am

HI I"M SO SORRY FOR DISAPPEARING HOW DID YOUR INTERVIEWS GO HAPPY SUMMER

Haha *sends raspberry cheesecake* <3 (Though I've never actually *successfully* made cheesecake...it turned into cheesecake soup lol)

Aww, being a Big Sib sounds so much fun! It actually sounds kind of similar to something my school has to welcome the incoming ninth graders, except...better lol XD In my school, they just sort of have to make the freshmen play rather stupid games? (for lack of a better word, I will call them that, but they're really pretty dull...) on advisory days that none of the freshmen really want to play, BUT sometimes they do bring food, which is nice, as far as I remember, from my faraway days of being a ninth grader. XD

OH MY GOD that just reminded me: I GRADUATED WAHHHH HOW DID THIS HAPPEN I DON"T BELIEVE IT. But no, actually. I don't think it's sunk in. I don't know how to process this, it doesn't feel like I graduated!! I mean, I guess it's exciting, but I also absolutely suck at change, so mostly I find it scary XD Like, when did I grow so old??

Which brings me to (I KNOW I said I'd hush about college, so I'm very sorry but please bear with me here?): So. Well, my plans for next year changed again. XD In short, I got off the waitlist at one of the places I was waitlisted at (the one I really wanted!!), but with a gap year. After much agonizing, we (my sister and I lol) both decided to do this...and oh wow, this means we'll both actually start college at the same time, Lestria!! :DDD

Anywayyy, aww, your English teacher sounds sweet, too! I love teachers who seem scary but are actually really nice. XD Wahh, my teachers...I'm gonna miss them :'( (Ahaha sorry this is getting sobby, it's past midnight and I don't know how much sense I'm making right now.) My Creative Writing teacher from junior year wrote cards to all the seniors she's ever had, and it was so nice of her! There were also so many tears at our end of the year party in quiz bowl, and I'm going to miss so many people so much, and...OK I'm going to stop talking about graduating now lest I ACTUALLY start to cry. XD

How is your summer going (Your school has ended?) ?? What have you been doing? And ooh, how was your spring break trip?? Also, how'd AP's go? Yay for being done with them! :P Mine weren't too bad! The one that I was worried about was actually way easier than expected, and turned out to be the easiest one of the lot, and I hope the other three went well? Lol.

Ahaha senioritis is definitely a thing at my school too, isn't it at every school? I don't know if I actually senior slided that hard because I ended up with (mostly) the same grades, but, I mean, it FELT like I was. :lol: It was kind of nice!

Oh, I know how you feel about college visits!! I am also super lazy, and looking at pictures online definitely was what I felt more like doing at this pint last year. I'm pretty sure I complained about college visits more than I maybe should have lol. But I don't know, it sometimes makes a difference? Like, there weren't too many colleges that visiting them in person affected my choice to apply there (oh my, I sound like I visited so many, I think I visited...three), but there was one place I chose not to apply to after seeing it? You could, if you think it'll be helpful. My plan was mostly to just pick which ones to apply to without visiting lol and then visiting the ones I got into after...which certainly narrowed down the number I needed to visit lol.

Haha, I guess that's fair enough, about there being competitive schools everywhere...I don't know, I've just heard of NY talked about as particularly so, and aren't there some famous fancy private schools? But of course, I guess all of them can't be like that lol. :) And that's definitely true, and if you don't feel super pressured, then that's really good! Hopefully you won't experience too much college stress next year then? Lol, I'm sure you'll be fine! <3

Ooh, The Girl Who Could Fly, I feel like I've read a book called The Boy Who Could Fly, but I'm not really sure. xD Are you going to read the sequel? I sometimes like finding sequels to books I used to love. But like you said, they can be really disappointing. I feel like I had something more to say on this book theme a minute ago, but my brain is feeling really fuzzy and I can't think of it anymore...lol maybe I should go to bed. I'll finish replying tomorrow!! I HOPE THIS ACTUALLYB MADE SENSE AND I WASN'T JUST DELIRIOUSLY TYPING THINGS, goodnight, friend! :D I hope you have an amazing day, whenever you're reading this!

p.s lol don't apologize, I love long posts, mine are always definitely too long, sorry XD (And I hope your term paper went well!!)

contributor

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:33 pm

HAPPY SUMMER! except I still have one more week of school ;_; but it's like a fake week because every day is like a half day haha... and then the finals start. :(

(But I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining. I only have 2 finals this year and I feel super chill about both of them lol)

I got into the research program I was talking about! And I met with my mentor already and he's super cool and funny. He definitely expects a lot, but he also has a really good sense of humor, so I'm happy about that. There's going to be 2 other high schoolers working at his lab, but we all have different projects, but I'm hoping they'll be nice and we can help each other and stuff aah I just want to make new friends. ._.

Congrats on graduating!!!! And on getting into the school that you really wanted! I know a senior who also got accepted with a gap year actually. Do you know what you're doing yet? SUPER PUMPED to go to college together (and by together I mean in the same year...but maybe we will end up going to the same place...we can dream, right? ;)) and rant/fangirl about weird/exciting/scary college things. :')

(Aha, I always get emotional at night too. IT'S OKAY THE SUN WILL RISE. :P)

OMG I ended up not going with my parents during spring break because I decided to be *responsible* and stay home to study for APs... and it was actually really nice being home by myself haha. I cooked sometimes and other times I went out and walked around the city and it was really relaxing lol. But I'm hoping I can go on vacation later this summer because my aunt from China is coming to the U.S. for the first time with my cousin and apparently they're touring the U.S. She already told me I can come with them if I want, so I'm hoping my schedule works out and if it does, I'm going to try to convince her to go to California bc I've never been. :D See my scheming?!! Honestly, she's my favorite aunt though, so I really just want to hang out with her.

Also yeah agreed, both of my APs were easier than expected. I'm still scared about Spanish bc I'm paranoid, but as long as I didn't make any super dumb mistakes, I think I'll be ok.

My plan was also to visit the colleges that I get into!! But my dad is actually obsessed with this one college down South so I think we're going there and maybe 2-3 others. I'm actually applying to 2 colleges in the South and whenever I talk about them, my friends are like "you DO know that they're in the South right..." hahaha. So I'm visiting to see if going to school in the South for 4 years would be a total culture shock and whether I would be totally miserable.

Get more sleep!! (I should do that too lol) Tell me all about your summer plans and your graduation/prom/senior things! :)

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:37 pm

I know you can't talk about specific schools, but have I mentioned I went to Duke!?!?! In the south!?!?!? I'm a big fan. BIG fan! Great school. Just butting into your conversation here. :)

contributor

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 pm

@mod katie: You're not butting in at all!! And I do want to go to other places and meet new people/learn from them, so I'm really thinking about applying to colleges outside of the Northeast.

new

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:22 am

@Katie: Aah, I have a couple friends who go/are going to go to Duke! :grin:

@Lestria: Ooh, wow, your school ended late! But happy summer now!! :grin: How did your chill finals go? Also YAYYYYY, nice job on getting into the research program!!! That's so awesome!! What's your project about? You should tell me about how it goes!! :grin:

And thank youu, I was pretty happy, too, lol. I know what I'm basically doing for the first half of the year, but I'm not really sure about the second half. And it's kind of weird watching all of my friends getting ready to go to college and talking about packing and placement tests and orientation and roommates and all that stuff and not really being in the middle of it myself. BUT THIS MEANS WE CAN GET READY FOR COLLEGE TOGETHER NEXT YEAR, so yay :razz: And I think you should think about applying to colleges in the midwest (hint hint :P ) lol ;)

And that does sound like a super nice spring break! Though wow, so responsible, I didn't start studying for AP's 'til the week before, this year; it was like my all time low. :P But how'd they go? Did Spanish end up alright, now that scores are out? I'm sure you did great!! :)

Ooh, have fun with your aunt and cousin, if you end up going with them! That sounds really lovely! I've actually been spending most of my summer here for a change. Ahaha, I didn't go to prom (though I did go to a super fun anti-prom!) and graduation, besides being a little bit sad, was mostly just boring, especially because our speakers were underwhelmingly uninteresting, haha, and my school's really big, so it took a LONG time. But my summer's been pretty eventful! The one thing about the summer after senior year is that everybody's rushing to hang out with everyone else before we all split up, so I've been being a lot more social than I usually am in the summer lol, and it's been fun. :') And I also decided to try out for a musical this summer (I'm 90% sure I told you at some point that I'd always wanted to, but was always too scared to audition? Well, it finally happened :P ), and that has also been pretty awesome so far! But ooh, speaking of that, I NEED ADVICE. Everyone at the theatre company (it's like all middle and high schoolers) are really nice, but I'm really awkward, and making friends is harddd, especially because everyone else there seems to already know eachother. And I did already know/was already kinda friends with a couple people, but they seem to have too many better friends here to want to hang out with me, and idk, it's kind of rough? Lol, actually I feel kind of pathetic about it because whyyy am I so awkward and scared to talk to people, but helppp mee pleassse? :lol:

Anyway, good luck with your research and other summer plans, and college apps, if you've started those by now, and yess, get sleep!! I hope you're having an awesome time, and tell me about it!! <3

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:00 pm

NO way!! (about Duke) 

That's awesome!! You have smart friends. It's so much harder now to get into than in my day. 

contributor

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:23 pm

My finals and APs were great! And my summer program is pretty awesome. It's like a combination of lab research, science classes, and social events :D I'm working on algorithms to computationally detect melanoma (skin cancer), and my mentor is also letting us play around with his lasers (and by play around, I mean being very very very careful ;)). But the best part of the program has to be my lab partners, who are so smart/funny/nice people. Sometimes we distract each other too much and we prank each other all the time, but it's so worth it :') I'm gonna miss these peeps so much after the summer is over...

Which musical?? That sounds so fun, good luck! <3 I wanna work on a play/musical with my friends in my school next year, like behind-the-scenes lights/scenery maybe. And OMG THAT IS ME LITERALLY ALL THE TIME hate it when everyone knows each other already and you're trying to join their group but they already have their inside jokes :| but I feel like after time passes, you'll make new inside jokes together and it'll feel less awkward. Also actually I've been guilty of only talking to my friends and excluding other ppl...sometimes you don't really notice, you know? It's not intentional or anything. And maybe try to get together with the other newbies?

Lol I get along with my lab partners really well but whenever I talk to other ppl in the program, I have trouble keeping up the convo sometimes because I'm socially awkward and I shy away from talking about myself in the beginning. 

I wrote a draft of a college essay for my English class earlier this year, but I don't think I'm using that because even though I put effort into it, it doesn't capture me fully I feel like? I wrote it about my research experience last year, but I've become more doubtful about whether I'm going into research as a career because it's so frustrating/tedious sometimes and I hate the politics side of it and when you do research as a career, most of your time is spent begging for grants. :( Any essay advice or advice about college apps in general? Do you know what you're majoring in by the way?

new

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:02 am

HOLY CRUD THESE POSTS ARE SO LONG! TOOK ME FOREVER TO READ THEM!!!

-Dragoncrown485

new

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Yay, I'm so glad all of your end-of-the-school-year stuff went well! and your summer program thing sounds so amazing. Ahh, that's so great that you have awesome lab partners! At the lab I was at last summer, there were not really many other high schoolers around besides me and my sister, and it could get kinda boring. But that sounds super fun, I'm jealous ;)

And ahh thanks! It finished a couple weeks ago, and it was great!! (Except for that one night when one of the safety pins in my dress randomly opened in middle of a dance...that was honestly horrifying lol :lol: Luckily it came out near the end of that scene, so I didn't have to spend too long with it digging into my shoulder). It was Oklahoma (which I will concede is a kind of weird musical that I wasn't super in love with before last month, but that I will now forever have a soft spot for <3), and ahh, I know what you mean when you say you'll miss the people in your lab after the summer's over, I miss everyone in the show so much already!! All fifty-five of them lol. Though it was kind of difficult at first...but you were right, it got better eventually!! My problem was mainly that the (very few) other newbies already had friends from school/siblings there, and also just my general awkwardness lol. xD But now I miss it all so much and I'm so sad I graduated because I don't wanna leave that place. :')

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT SOCIALLY AWKWARD, THAT'S SO ME TOO, have you talked to more people in the program outside your lab partners by now though? How long does your program go for?

Anyway, essay advice...hmm. Well, for one, this is super obvious and you'd probably do it anyway, but just try to space it out and not let everything pile up? Like, I definitely knew that would be bad, but I still ended up with a ridiculous number of unfinished essays for December and it made for a...really really painful winter break. XD Besides that, I guess, maybe don't worry too much about the topic? Make it a story you want to tell/meaningful to you, but don't worry too much about how much of you it covers because, in the end, one essay can only be about one aspect of you; no matter what you pick, it won't tell the whole story, but that's okay, because I think how you write about it is more important than how big or small the content is. Idk, sorry, was that at all helpful? :/ And I think I'm probably majoring in English, but I'm also considering double majoring with either bio or physics as well, I'm not too sure. :P

Anyway, I'm in India right now, so hopefully this actually submits because the wifi at my grandparents' house can be kind of sketchy. xD Good luck with the rest of your program and starting college stuff and everything!!

P.S I feel like this is super short (sorry!) and also like there was totally something else I meant to tell you about when I started writing this post, but I can't think of it nowww :/ And okay that was probably an unneccessary add-on, but I hate that feeling of knowing you forgot something, and it's bugging meeee :lol:

contributor

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:25 am

My program finished a few weeks ago too but I'm actually planning to go to lab again this Friday and meet up with my lab partners! :') We always have really awesome adventures so I'm pumped. One time we snuck onto the roof of the tallest building on campus (17 floors!), where they're constructing a greenhouse and we took selfies of the view ahahaha. :') During the program, I basically hung out with my lab partners and my lab partner's friend from school because we all worked in the same building, but I also made friends with a few other people like this guy from California!! And on the last day, my friend and I talked to this girl from Turkey (Turkey!!! as in she lives in Turkey and came to the US for the program and she flew back after the program ended) and she seemed really nice, which is a shame that we didn't talk to her earlier. 

Omg the safety pin incident sounds painful. :( But it's good to hear that you ended up having fun at your camp! I'm thinking about working on the set of a school play/musical next spring when college stuff is over and I have time. :D Have you worked on sets/lighting/costumes/behind-the-scenes stuff before? I'm thinking about lighting because it seems least stressful and I have a good friend who does lighting and can show me the ropes, but I would also love to work on sets and paint stuff lol.

I know I should be working on college essays right now, and I have worked on it a tiny bit, but idk I feel kind of unmotivated and unstressed right now lol. But yeah I'll def get onto that, working on essays all throughout winter break would be not fun. :( And I've been struggling with the topic of the essay because yeah, I felt like it should really represent me, but I think I'm going to write multiple drafts and then see which one works the best.

A double major sounds cool! :D I feel like all my senior friends are vacationing this summer, which just makes me feel more excited to get senior year done with. Also my best friends and I made this bucket list of random stuff to do (like visit a cat cafe!! where you get to snuggle up with cats and books and coffee/tea! eep!!!) and we're determined to get through it before we leave for college.

Haha I hate that feeling of feeling like you forgot something but not remembering what it is. :P

new

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:50 am

AHHH, I CAN FINALLY COME ON HERE AGAIN!!! HI! :grin: I've had nonexistent/really bad/just-not-good-enough-to-load-these-boards wifi since the end of August, and it's so nice to be back! (((: And ahh, this was a really long time ago, but how did that meeting with your lab partners go? I love stories about cool adventures lol, and also it's really cool that you guys stayed in touch after your program ended.

Anyway, how's school and senior year and everything?? Hopefully not too stressful yet? So far I've been in different parts of India, volunteering at schools around here, and it's been really cool! RIght now I'm at my aunt and uncle's house (hence the good wifi lol), and having a bit of a break because most schools here are on holiday right now. But I'll start volunteering here, too, soon, which should be exciting. XD At first it was really really exhausting, and I wondered how my teachers (especially my preschool/elementary teachers lol--little kids are SO tiring!!) had ever done it, but now it's slightly less exhausting and I really like helping out at these schools! :D

Ooh, being in the crew for a play/musical sounds really fun! I worked on the set once back in middle school haha, but not at all since then. Lighting and just tech stuff in general seems pretty cool though, so tell me how it is when you do it!! xD Lol I love painting things too though, and working on costumes seems fun as well, so idk, everything sounds like it would be a good choice.

Oh wow, a cat cafe!!!! I really really want to go to one of those! One of my friends went to one in Japan, and she said it was awesome. Are there any near where you live?

So what have you been doing outside of school lately? Read anything good? I need new book suggestions lol. XD Recently I read a book called Throne of Glass, which was a pretty good YA fantasy, and right now I’m in middle of The Kitchen God’s Wife by Amy Tan. Have you read either of those? Or anything by Amy Tan? I read The Bonesetter’s Daughter a while ago this summer, and I really liked it.

I’ve also been preparing for Nanowrimo again, and this time, I’m determined to actually plan a bit better than I usually do. XD Though the past couple years, I’ve met my word count goal, I’ve never actually managed to stay motivated for long enough after November to actually finish the novel lol, so…we’ll see how this year goes. :razz: I have a premise in mind and quite a few characters, but I have no idea how to actually resolve anything/how the plot goes. But I’m hoping to be able to actually make 50,000 this year now that I don’t have school getting in the way!

Anyway, hope you’ve been having a good couple of months! Tell me how your day is when you’re reading this! <3

contributor

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:26 pm

omg HEY!! aw stinks about the wifi, but you sound like you're having a great time in India! Are you teaching English? Do you speak Hindi (sorry, not sure if this is the right language) fluently? Are there are culture shocks that you've gotten? :P Woohoo good luck with Nanowrimo!

One of my lab partners and I both take Saturday classes at an university, so it's been nice getting food with her after classes. There was a food festival nearby a few weeks ago with my favorite quesadilla stand <3 I love love love quesadillas and my lab partners and I found this amazing Oaxacan place over the summer :')

Senior year was cRAAAZY in September because I had so much stuff going on, but it's been calmer this month? (I still can't believe it's only October though...I feel like I've done so much work that it should be at least November) I submitted my first college app (!!!) on October 15 and I'm getting ready to submit another one November 1! After that is tons of regular apps though, for which I still need to write all my supplements ahaha sigh. I feel strangely calm though, probably because September was sooooooo bad for me -- I would work nonstop every day 4-12 pm on my research paper for a science competition (which I sadly did not win) and I scrambled to get everything in on time and when I finally pressed that submit button, there was this hollow, incredulous feeling in my stomach like I couldn't believe I was finally done. D:

There's THREE cat cafes near me and I think I'll go in the spring with my friends after college season is over. :P I haven't read that many books lately lol. The last book I read was All the Light We Cannot See (which I read in the beginning of the summer), and it was good but there had been so much hype about it in the book world that I felt inevitably slightly disappointed when I finally read it. I will say that the ending scenes are very well written and I felt emotionally exhausted by the end. :P I've also reread the Infernal Devices series and The Hunger Games haha over the summer, because it's been a few years since I've read them and I forget most of the plot anyway. :P I've read all the books of Throne of Glass so far!!!! I was obsessed with that series last year (or 2 years ago? I don't remember), and I loved Chaol/Celaena, but just wait, a new guy will come in soon and make you doubt your ships! I've heard of The Kitchen God's Wife, but the only thing I've read by Amy Tan is The Joy Luck Club, for English class in 8th grade, and I remember being impressed by all the intricate symbolism. :P

I just got back from LA actually!! I won this science video competition and got a free trip to LA to meet scientists at Disney Studios and Dolby (which I totally want to work for ahh their movie technology is state-of-the-art). I also went to the red carpet premiere of Dr. Strange and met/talked to/touched Benedict Cumberbatch hahaha I still can't get over it. I was so starstruck omg <3 But now that I'm back, I have this huge pile of schoolwork/labwork/applications that I have to do...which I am procrastinating doing right now. :P Hope you have a great day and tell me what you're up to!

new

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 am

HEY! I am back from India now, and back to reliable wifi, haha. But it was great! I was mostly teaching English and I only semi-understand Hindi, but I do speak Kannada, which is the language I was teaching in. :razz:

Ahhh thank you! Nanowrimo was certainly...interesting this year lol. I wrote about twenty thousand words in the first three weeks and then the other thirty thousand in the last five days which I'm still not entirely sure how I did, but it was very painful. :P Still, I did finish though, which was very exciting, since it's the first time I've managed 50,000! :D

Wait, your lab partner from the summer? Aww, that's so awesome that you still get to see each other every week!! Also yes quesadillas are amazing though I haven't had any in ages.

WOW your September sounds like it was crazy!! That research paper sounds so time consuming (sorry you didn't win :( ) and on top of senior year and everything! :O But yayyy, nice job on starting submitting college apps!! Did your early one come out yet now that it's December? Should I not ask (I know some people at my school hated being asked about application results...)? But good luck with everything, and sending all the love and hugs and virtual baked goods to you if you're stressing about finishing regular apps right now, (or even if you're not, honestly xD), I remember December as being ultra stressful for me last year.

Omg you're so lucky about the cat cafes! There's not a single one anywhere near me as far as I know. I want to go to one soo badlyyy :razz: Haha, I can't remember much about the Hunger Games either, or the Infernal Devices series (though I think I only read the first book of that one, so not awfully surprising xD). I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale, which was really good, though ahhh the ending was so frustratingly open!! I'm currently rereading Anne of Green Gables, which I adore, and also reading Ivanhoe, which seems pretty fun, but I'm not very far in yet.

Ooh Throne of Glass, I've read the second book by now, but have yet to get my hands on the third. It's so good!! I also love Chaol and Celaena (though I also can't help feeling sorry for Dorian). Actually the second book ends with everything so mixed up and all tossed around that I really want to read the third now!!

WOW CONGRATS (even though I guess this is a late congrats sorryyy) on the science video competition!!!! That's so cool!! :D Ahhh tell me more, what did you do at Disney and Dolby?? Also more WOW to meeting Benedict Cumberbatch:DDD That is awesome!

I have not been doing a whole lot since so far since getting back from India, I'm kind of taking December as a break. :P I've visited a couple friends at their colleges, which was very fun, but also kind of weird walking around campus and hearing their college stories and still not having a clue what that's going to be like? I also went to visit my high school, which was VERY weird because they've renovated parts of it and added a new wing, and the renovated parts look like a whole different building on the inside and more like a college building honestly. But it was also really nice to see some old teachers and underclassmen friends. XD

Oh, today my family bought our Christmas tree, which was kind of exciting, because we've never had a real tree before (we usually decorate a tiny fake one though :P)! We had kind of a crisis for a bit because it kept falling down lol and we had no clue how to keep it upright because we couldn't find a big enough pot. XD Eventually we dug something up from our garage though and now everything feels all warm and holiday-y. It's super cold outside here right now actually though and we've got tons and tons of snow in the past couple of days.

How's everything for you? Has your winter break started yet? Eeek, it's super late right now (1:30 :P) so I should go to bed, but tell me what's going on in your life! Hope all is well. :)

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:01 pm

(From Katie- GREAT post! Welcome back!!)

[ 114 posts ] Average score:   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team