Reading Buzz Board!

Announcements

Hello future and past friends! WELCOME to the Buzz Board! I'm Katie, the moderator for the Buzz Board. If you've been around awhile, I used to moderate several message boards, including Dear America, Baby-sitters Club, Graphix, and Flashlight Readers way back when. . .! It's great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Here are a few basic rules:

- no last names, names of schools or cities (but states are okay);
- age/grade is okay, but no birthdays;
- no being mean, rude, or cursing;
- no posting your email address or links to other websites;
I hope you all enjoy the boards! We want them to be a safe, fun place!!
   [ 54 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 @songbird49
contributor

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Just wanted to say hi since we've been sending shout-outs back and forth for a while. ;P

A little more about myself: I'm Lestria, I'm 14 (and two-thirds, if you want to be a little more exact), I adore Harry Potter and am obsessed with fanfiction, I want to travel the world. I also play the violin and volleyball, but MEH. Most of my time is spent on reading (fanfiction, nowadays).

Your shout-outs always make my days a little bit better! It's nice to know that there is another human being somewhere out there. :D

Re: @songbird49
new

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Lestria! :grin: I love getting shout-outs from you, too! Shout-outs just make me so happy...I love going to my profile and seeing that "(1 New)" thingy on the bar! :mrgreen:

Anyway, well, I don't really like saying my real name and age online, but I will say I'm around the same age as you are (let's say, give or take a couple years :wink: ). I also adore Harry Potter. I kinda like reading fanfiction, buuut not that much. :grin: I play the piano and badminton, and I have lived in three different countries. My favourite things to do include reading (usually fantasy lately, but I like other books too), writing (I have like a million gazillion half-finished stories :lol: ), and singing. I also secretly dream of doing theater, but am always too terrified to actually audition for anything. :lol: Aaand that's all I can think of to say about me. :lol: 

Thanks for making my days better with your shout-outs! :grin:

~Songbird49

contributor

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Yay, you replied! :D

Whoa, what countries have you lived in? And what book(s) are you currently reading?

I just finished Cinder by Marissa Meyer (my friend wouldn't stop bugging me until I read it). It's a good book: solid plot, interesting characters, cute romance, BUUT I will say the last half of the book is pretty painful to read because of the a;dfa;skjf stuff that happens. :P You should check out the cover, which is creepy yet gorgeous.

And yes, I love writing too!! I write mostly short stories (coughfanfictionlol), but I think I want to try my hand at writing a novel-length story someday.

new

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 am

Hey! Now I feel bad for taking so long to reply to this, but I was at camp, and didn't really get to come on the Stacks. I have lived in India, the U.A.E, and now, the U.S. They are all awesome, but sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if I'd lived in the same place all my life...I've never lived any one city for more than three years (until now!! :grin:).

I am currently reading a book called Storybound by I-don't-remember-who-but-I-am-too-lazy-to-go-look-it-up. :grin: It has a pretty good idea behind it, but I don't know if I would actually recommend it to anyone, it isn't too well written. That always annoys me, when I'm just like, it could have been so good if you'd just taken a bit more effort with the writing!! :grin: 

Ooh, I think I saw Cinder last time I was in the bookstore! I almost bought it! Doesn't it have, like, the red shoe on it or something? I love rewrites of fairy tales, even if they go pretty off the original story...what book are you reading now (that you've finished Cinder)?

I love writing short stories, but for some reason I hardly ever do. I have yet to actually write a novel length anything, though. I wrote 50,000 words of one for NaNoWriMo, but it wasn't finished, and after November, I just got really lazy, and, umm...it still needs to be finished. :lol: What kind of fanfiction do you like to write?

~Songbird49

contributor

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 am

No problemo. :) Was it sleepaway? I've never gone to sleepaway camp before (except for this like 2-day winter school trip--which was actually v fun. We went sledding on tires and snowshoeing and skiing.)

Wow. Your life sounds like it's straight out of an adventure book. *_* Do you keep in touch with the friends you make? Do you like staying put or moving around?

Oh, yeah, I've read some bad books this past year, but lately, I've been reading some pretty good ones. Yup, the red shoe is Cinder! If you look closely, you'll see that there's something wrong with her ankle...

I'm reading The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing right now, which is pretty dense, but it's really thought-provoking. Some of the biggest themes are communism, feminism...It's very cynical and has some mature content, but I've been pretty absorbed in it.

Omg I have the opposite problem! I love novels, but I can't write one because I can't think of a plot that will last a novel (and that I won't get bored of :P). WOW, congrats on Nanowrimo! Even if you didn't finish it, it's pretty amazing that you wrote so much. What's it about, briefly? :P

I write fanfiction for anything I can think of an alternate plot/character development for. :P 39 Clues, Arthur (yes, Arthur, the cartoon TV show), and Mother Daughter Book Club. The last one is special because my friends and I usually don't read the same types of books, but we ALL read Mother Daughter Book Club and enjoyed it. So now when I write fanfiction for it, my friend reads it and we talk about it and it's like bonding, you know? :P

new

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:09 pm

It was not sleepaway, sadly. It just took up a lot of my time. :razz:I wish it had been because I've never really gone to sleepaway camp before either. In this one, you had the option of staying there and having it be sleepaway, but that was way more expensive. I might do it next year though! :grin:What have you been doing this summer?

Like an adventure book?! *scrolls down to see what exactly I wrote in previous post* :lol:I guess it just sounds a lot more exciting than it actually is. :razz:I have usually tried to stay in touch with my friends, but right now, I'm only still in touch with three of my friends from other places, and they are pretty much my three best friends. And, well, I am glad I got to be in all the places I've lived in, and make all the friends I've made, but I would rather not move anymore now. :razz:Atleast, not until I have to go to college. :razz:Just curious, but have you lived in the same place your whole life?

I now have to go see a picture of Cinder's cover to see what's wrong with her ankle. :razz:Hmm...metallic joints?

I think I've heard of The Golden Notebook somewhere, but I don't really know what it's about...is it good?

I finished Storybound, and, idk, some parts of it were better than my first impression, some parts of it...really weren't. :razz:Are you reading anything else right now?

Oh my, that's pretty much my problem with a lot of my novels, too! I just get bored with the idea, and think it's really stupid, and wonder how on earth I could have been so excited about it just a few weeks/months ago. :mrgreen:Either that, or I just don't know what to write next. I usually always have a beginning and end in mind when I start to write, but I appear to almost never have more than the foggiest of ideas about the middle...:razz:My Nanowrimo story is briefly about a person who lived inside of a snowglobe (you know, those little statues inside snowglobes?) who one day gets transported outside of it and discovers that there's a lot more to the world than she thought there was. And her adventure. Gosh, that actually sounds a lot more stupid than it did in my head. :razz:

Oh, I love Mother Daughter Book Club, too! (And agree that Arthur is one of the few actually interesting little kids T.V shows. :grin:) But I (still) haven't read past the fourth book (of MDBC). I think we've had this discussion before. In fact, I think my first post on this board was in reply to one you made about the Mother Daughter Book Club books. :mrgreen: 

Wow, this is long! :razz:

~Songbird49

contributor

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Meh, I've been volunteering at this botanical garden and at a research lab. Also I tutor about 3 hours a week. But overall, it's been pretty chill. I read books. I study for the Math and Bio Subject SATs lol.

Nah, I lived in China when I was really little and then we moved to Texas for a year when I was 6. I was so young then that I don't really remember it...so honestly, it feels like I've lived in New York all my life. And I used to be proud of being a New Yorker, but I've gotten a little sick of it. I can't wait to get out of here and go to college (hopefully somewhere far away, but my parents vetoed my idea of going to England. D: Aw man.)

Yup, Cinder is pretty cool. My friend likes it more than I do, though, because she loves evil characters. o-o Go figure.

I like the Golden Notebook because the main character has a really cynical attitude that I can identify with. I've been in a slump for the past year. :/ And I'm scared that when I get back to school, I'll be super stressed and unhappy again.

Hehe, I'm still reading the Golden Notebook, but I put an order on Daughter of Smoke and Bones because two of my friends said that it was really good.

Your novel sounds like something I would read actually. Snowglobes are totes cool. :)But yeah, sometimes I have these elaborate ideas and later I realize, oops, that's not realistic at all and I have to discard the whole thing. :/

Oh, hahaha, I think I remember the post now. Omg, do you know the author is writing a new 7th book?? I found out a few weeks ago and I AM SO PUMPED OMGG. :DMy friends and I have been fangirling for a week and we promised each other to buy it at the same time and read it at the same time.

(We are such nerds. :D)

new

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:03 am

Now I feel super bad for not replying or coming on here for simply ages, but I was in India visiting my family, and I was really busy. Plus my internet wasn't actually working super well. :razz: Wow, you volunteer at a research laboratory?! That sounds so cool! What do you do there? And at the botanical gardens? Besides visiting my family in India, I was also volunteering at a school for children from the slums and teaching small groups of 4th/5th graders English. They were so sweet and kept asking for the classes to be longer! Hopefully I will be able to continue teaching them online starting September. :grin:

China sounds super cool! It's a pity you don't remember it. How old were you?

OMG, there's going to be a 7th book?! I really need to get my hands on the 5th! I just kind of forgot about them after I couldn't find it last summer, but they're really good.

What have you been doing for the rest of summer? I can't believe my school starts in a few weeks! Agh! What about yours?

~Songbird49

contributor

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:36 pm

yayyy you're back. c:

Haha, the research lab isn't actually that cool. I did it during the month of the July and basically I did the really simple tasks for the college girl I worked with, aka labelling and centrifuging tubes, getting/putting materials into the right places. The point was really to just learn about working in a lab and doing a science research project. Her project was on these tiny things called nanoparticles, and at the end of the month, I went to the conference where everyone presented their projects. Def very interesting, and everyone was so nice and willing to answer questions. (I ask a lot of questions. :P)

The botanical gardens is fun. :) I teach kids around 5-9 about plants. My fav station is the pond, where I can catch water insects/plants in these nets. Also I caught my first frog with my friend today, which is exciting.

Jealous of your India trip. :p I've done some tutoring in the past, but idk if I could handle a whole class. Do you speak the language there (Hindu, right?) and was it hard to translate?

I was lived in China until I was 5. I have vague memories of eating lotus flowers. They were delicious, I think.

I'll mostly be working at the botanical garden and also tutoring, I guess. Ooh, and I'm going to my friend's house tom and we're going to window-shop around her neighborhood cuz she has lots of little boutiques and stuff. Very cute. :D I really want to go on vacation. My dad promised he would take me to Disney World, but now he says he's really busy so if we do go, it'll probs be to Niagara Falls or somewhere closer to New York (where I live :P).

I'm starting school on Sept 4th. :( The summer's gone by really fast.

new

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Ooh, one of my cousins (who's in college) showed me a project she was doing on nanoparticles this summer! They definitely sound very interesting. The botanical gardens sound awesome! Before I left for India, I was trying to volunteer in the butterfly gardens of a nearby zoo, but they said I was too young. :sad: You had to be 18 or something. But I'm super excited because once school starts, I'm going to start volunteering at an animal shelter. (Which, incidentally, I have been waiting to be able to do for a while because last year I didn't fit into their age restrictions either. :razz:)

Oh, the teaching wasn't a whole class! (I would die! :lol:) It was groups of 5-8 at a time, but yeah, even that was hard enough at times. On the first day, the 4th grade group decided that they could walk all over me and my sister (and were probably right :razz:), and I'm pretty sure they kept that impression throughout. But luckily then they got super interested in learning to read English, so they decided not too. :razz:

Yeah, the official language of India is Hindi, but actually each region speaks a different language. I knew enough of their language to understand them fully, and also to communicate, albeit in a very grammatically incorrect way. :razz: But I speak a different language, and every now and then I used to accidentally mix in some of it when talking, which they found very funny.

And agh, school!!! Mine starts on the 2nd. :sad: When I said "few" weeks, it was very much wishful thinking. :razz:

contributor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Oh yeah most places have a 16+ age restriction. -_- also what stinks is when you have a birthday after the summer, like I do, so even though I turn 16 next year, I won't be able to volunteer at some places next summer because I'll still be 15 during that time.

IT'S NOT FAIR. >:(

Ooh, animal shelter. I would love to do that, except I think my parents would freak because they have an unnatural fear of me getting bitten by an animal.

Haha, trying to teach kids my age or older makes me a little nervous because EEP THEY COULD DISS ME AT ANY TIME and I'm so bad at responding cleverly to insults. ;_; Today I met this guy near my age at the garden and I was teaching kids how to put plants in pots, and I offered him one, but he laughed (not in a snotty way tho, thank goodness) and said no thanks.

Haha, that's me with Chinese ALL THE TIME. My relatives laugh at me and say I have an American accent, which is ironic because I'm always paranoid I speak English with a Chinese accent. #culturalproblemslol. Also I take spanish in school and everyone always speaks really haltingly (including me) and I have no idea how the teachers manage to keep a straight face.

What language do you take in school? Also do you get to choose classes this year? (I don't, which is annoying.)

new

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Haha, my parents were a little iffy about the animal shelter, too, but they did end up letting me do it, so...:grin: And oh, I could NOT teach kids my age, either. I would freak out and get so nervous, and just, eep. 

OhmyGryffindor, my relatives always say I speak Kannada (my language) with an American accent, too. I don't mind when they say it, but I get super annoyed when other people laugh about it. I'm just like, well you speak English with an Indian accent, can I laugh now? (Except I don't actually say that. :razz:)

I take French. I got to pick some of my classes this year. (And I'm totally regretting some of them, because I just saw my schedule and just realized that I'm probably not going to make it through the year alive.) My school starts tomorrow. I'm actually really nervous. I mean, I'm kind of excited too, about seeing all my friends and about some of my classes (choir, 'cause I'm always excited about choir, and creative writing because it was one of the new classes I got to choose, and it sounds super cool. :grin: ), but, eep, I am so not ready to start having homework again.

~Songbird49

contributor

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Ah, school. School just started and wat where did all this work come from.

I HAD A POP QUIZ IN MATH ON THE FIRST DAY AND OMGGG I WAS SO NOT PREPARED. There was this question where you had to prove this theorem and I was struggling so much even tho I knew I learned it last year and when I got home, I looked it up AND OMG IT'S SO SIMPLE GAHHHHHH I JUST HAD TO DRAW AN EXTRA LINE. Idk if you've done geometry? Like, I like geometry because it's neat, but I hate it when you have to draw extra lines cuz I always fail at that sort of thing.

The worse thing is that math is usually my strong point but this year I have the chairperson of the department as my teacher and even tho he's brilliant, he speaks with a heavy Russian accent and gives really difficult problems. :icry:

The good thing is that everyone said my Spanish teacher was awful and played favorites, but she seems pretty nice and I think she likes me. c: Also my global teacher is new, but seems cool. ALSO THE BEST PART is that even tho gym is track & field stuff and I thought I would die, the weight room is pretty cool and I love treadmills and yass this will help me get into shape.

But back to your classes: omg creative writing sounds sosososo fun. I think it's offered at my school next year. BUT TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR CLASSES ESPECIALLY DAT CREATIVE WRITING. :D Which class is your fav so far? Least fav? Which one gives the most hw...:(

new

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Oh, I know. I came home from school on the first day, and I already had four hours of homework and it was just like whaaaat. I think school would just be so much nicer in every way if we just didn't have homework! Or atleast less of it would be nice. :grin:

I've done geometry, and I think I know the kind of proofs you're talking about? Atleast, in my school we have this kind of weird integreted math system that just no one else seems to have, so each level is kind of a mix of geometry and algebra and, like, whatever else there is, so it's not exactly nicely seperated. But I'm doing calculus now, so I assume I've probably finished geometry. :razz: 

And oh, we had a quiz on the first day in my history class, too! It wasn't exactly a pop quiz since they had told us last year that if we signed up for this class there was a whole lot of summer homework, and stuff we do on the first day with it, but it was still annoying.

Track and field sounds kind of like a fun gym class! And it's good that your teachers are nice. I think most of mine are too. :grin: My favourite classes, hmm...well, I haven't had creative writing yet because my school has a weird type of scheduling, and anyway I only have it next semester. :sad: So right now, I will say my favourite class is choir. :grin: Though I also like my science class. HISTORY GIVES THE MOST HOMEWORK BY FAR, IT'S SO ANNOYING!!! Well, I guess math also gives pretty close to the same amount of homework, but solving problems is somehow less frustrating than taking notes on the textbook.

On an un-school note, what have you been reading lately? I am in middle of reading Les Mis, and it is...interesting. :grin: It's super long, so some parts it just drags on and on about, far more than it seems like you'd need, but it's actually a pretty good book so far. What else have you been doing lately, or has school been consuming your life? :twisted: Agh, why is Monday tomorrow??? :lol: 

~Songbird49

contributor

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Haha, I agree about the hw part. I remember in elementary school when I would get home and eat a snack and read books and then do hw for like 30 minutes lol. #theolddays:')

Hahahahahahahahaha. Basically I've been doing math. Literally 50% of my free time is on math now. I spent 3 hours on math hw yesterday, no joke, and usually I spend 2-3 hours on it now because there is so much hw omg. My friends and I literally just talk about math hw now. It's really pathetic.

But the thing is that I still look forward to math (cuz I'm a math nerd shh), and hte class I'm dreading the most is STRINGS. GAH. STRINGS. I play the violin, but I'm not as good at it as a lot of other pp in strings and it makes me very insecure. Also whenever I play music, I just feel really uncomfortable and I always make lots of mistakes, even if the music is really easy. I don't really know why. Yesterday I sat in the front row cuz my friend dragged me up there and I made so many mistakes omg and it was so embarassing because the younger kids behind me were like "wat are you doing" (well they didn't say that, but they implied it) and I was just like WHEN WILL THIS TORTURE END.

So yeah. :/

I don't really have time to read right now, but we're reading The Odyssey for English and wahh, I didn't know it was 500+ pages. ;_; I know the plot pretty well already cuz I've seen a bunch of plays on it, but it's interesting I guess. I like Greek mythology stuff tho. :D 

I'm really happy about my classes in general tho because there's a lot of different people in each class. Last year, even tho we were supposed to have different people in each class, a lot of hte same people were in my classes and so I got kind of tired of them after a while. xD I NEED VARIETY YO. But yeah, this year, I have a lot of friends in my classes and eep it's been fun.

I'm sorry, I feel like I've just been rambling on and on about me, so tell me about how your day is going (when you read this)!!

new

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Oh, elementary school. *sigh* So much free time I had back then, and like, no stress, and just WHY HIGH SCHOOL, WHY??? :lol:

Eek, your math homework sounds like a lot!! I spend on average 1-1 1/2 hours each on math and social studies, about 30 mins to an hour on physics, and I literally do my chemistry homework sometime in school the day it's due. :lol:

Aww, that stinks. But do you like playing the violin? I've always thought it seemed like a really cool instrument!  And oh! we read the Odyssey in English last year! I thought it was pretty interesting. :grin:

My day has been pretty good, today. :grin:We played this really useless-but-fun game in social studies that was basically a simulation of colonial countries in the 1700s trading. Each group was a country and got some resources to begin and we got points for collecting different types of resources from other countries and you could smuggle as well. :grin:We basically learned nothing ('cause the simulation didn't work ot the way it was supposed to :lol:) And I had choir, which is always good. :grin:How was your day?

~Songbird49

contributor

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:29 am

You're taking physics AND chem?? On one hand, I kind of want to do that (because I like science hehe) but everyone's always complaining about the work they get for either chem or physics respectively, so taking two at once would mean double the work...:( How are you managing? I'm taking just chem right now and right now it's just sig figs, conversions, chill stuff. xD

Yeah, I love hearing other people play the violin. But when I play, I just feel annoyed lol. The cello is my fav string instrument tho (even tho I don't play) bc it has such a deep resonant sound. *_*

Your social studies game sounds fun! It sounds kind of like Model U.N. (do you have that at your school), which is like a simulation of the United Nations and each person represents a modern-day country and everyone works together to bring about a resolution, i.e. what to do for the syrian crisis, how to promote environmental conservation. It's a club at my school and I did it last year and it was v fun, but I didn't have time to do it this year. :( Do you have clubs at your school and if so, which ones are you in?

I had a half-day today and I get Thursday and Friday off because of Rosh Hashanah hehe. #hallelujah School has been a little suffocating--can you believe it's only September?? I read in an article recently that if you don't get enough sleep, your neuron cells aren't able to get repaired from injury and start to die off. D: I'm getting 7-8 hours right now and I'm making an effort to go to bed early, but I still feel so tired.

Hope to hear back from you soon. :) MAKE SURE YOU'RE GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP!!

new

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 am

Get enough sleep. Good advice. :grin:

And, ack, sorry I take so long to reply. I have had such a stressful week. One that's not quite over yet until last period tomorrow when I take a physics test. (I am actually quite scared for it; I need to do well!!) 

But physics and chem together aren't that bad. We haven't done much in chem yet, just sig figs and balancing equations and stuff like you said. And physics is one of my favourite classes! I didn't expect it to be, 'cause I've never taken physics before and my class is mostly full of seniors, so I didn't know anyone at first, but for some reason it is! It is quite interesting, and my teacher is awesome, and everyone in it is cool, it's actually quite entertaining. :grin: But it is kind of hard...some people in my class ended up dropping for honours or regular physics, and I'm not exactly doing great right now. :/ Mainly because I did quite horribly on the last test. I think I understand everything now though...I guess we'll see tomorrow. :grin: What are all of your classes? How many do you have in a day? My school has a block schedule, so we have only four classes everyday for a semester, and then switch. Except I have choir and chem alternating all year. Another reason having chem and physics together isn't so bad for me. :grin:

We do have Model U.N at my school, but I've never done it. It sounds really cool, though. The clubs I'm in at school are like, quiz bowl, which is epically, amazingly awesome :grin: , a volunteering club, and Science Olympiad, and last year, I played badminton, which I might do again. Oh, and yesterday I just tried out for one of my school's after school small group choirs. One of the contributions to my super stressful week, haha. Now I'm SO nervous about the results, which they won't tell us for two weeks, even though everyone finished auditioning today, and I'm sure the teachers will have the list made by Monday or Tuesday atleast, and why do they just want to keep us stewing in suspense, WHY??? :lol: But in a way I'm kind of glad all the same, just because then I can relax for a bit and still hope I got in. :lol: What activities do you do?

I agree, school is getting to be very suffocating. And it's only the start of October! I feel like it's been so long. I hardly remember what summer feels like anymore! :lol:

And about sleep...I will try. :lol: Siriusly, I will. You too! :grin:

~Songbird49

contributor

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm

I love you for using "siriusly." SIRIUSLY. <333

:'D

I'm supposed to be doing hw and practicing for this presentation I have to give tom, but...eh. I have time. :P

Hope you did well on your physics test! It's good that you like your class, and I've heard from my older cousin that there are usually two dif types of physics classes, one harder than the other. I'm not sure if that's the case in my school though. I do know there are dif types of calculus classes but...haahha, calculus sounds scary and I'm not completely sure what it is. I do want to take the harder classes, but I always forget there's tons of work involved. :( stress.

I have around 6 classes every day, haha. But each one is only 40 min. It's usually something like this: English, Chem, Spanish, Math, Global, Music (or Orchestra, depending on what day). And then lunch is an hour long, but since I'm participating in a bunch of clubs, I usually eat lunch during that time.

Haha I did Quiz Bowl in 7th grade but I couldn't answer any of the questions...so now I converted to Science Bowl. :P Which is better for me because there's less topics to know and also the people in Science Bowl in my school are really nice and smart people. Science Bowl sort of has a bad rep bc everyone thinks it's full of nerds, but the people there are actually v cool!!

Eep I've heard of Science Olympiad. One of my friends does it (apparently she's amazing at the trees/ecology category haha or so she brags), but I don't think we have it at my school. And a bunch of my friends are in badminton and in chorus, but I can't play or sing for my life so nah. :D

Science Bowl takes up three days and the other days I go to Math Team and this club called COLORS, which raises awareness/money for cancer research through the arts. Our first meeting of the school year was today and yey we got new recruits. Plus someone brought cake, which is always nice.

new

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Hey...how is your day going? (When you read this)

So, remember in my last post I said that I had just tried out for the choir thing and they weren't going to tell us until two weeks later? Well, they ended up posting the list today, and I wish they were going to post it later. I didn't make it :sad: And I'm really disappointed. I just wanted to get into this one so badly!! I have now tried out for three choir related things in the past year, and I haven't made a single one of them. I feel like such a failure. :cry: I really thought I could suceed in this one, too, but...I guess I didn't. I really didn't. 

I'm sorry. That above paragraph was just really negative, wasn't it? I just wanted to cry to somebody, and I will now try to be more cheerful for the rest of this post. See --> :grin: I'm smiling. Siriusly.

Calculus isn't that scary! Or atleast, so far it isn't. Haha, I never really knew what calculus was either...in fact, I'm still not sure I know exactly what constitutes the definition of calculus. :lol: 

You have orchestra AND a seperate music class?? That sounds awesome! What do you do in music? Haha, I couldn't answer anything in quiz bowl when I first joined either. Almost nobody can. But I love it, and everybody in quiz bowl at my school is just so amazing and nice! And a lot of my friends are in science bowl! It sounds cool. I was thinking about doing it, but with science olympiad...too much science. :lol: And COLORS sounds awesome!! That is such a great club! What kind of art do you do?

~Songbird49

contributor

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:52 pm

<33333333333333333333333333

sending you lots of love and (virtual) hugs and chocolate.

(random: what kind of chocolate do you like? milk or dark? I love dark chocolate and hate milk and my friend loves milk chocolate and hates dark, and she has a theory that everyone who loves one type hates the other.)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but hopefully you're feeling better by now? I know whenever I feel disappointed in myself, I have a good cry and indulge myself in lots of self-pity and over the course of a week, I slowly start to feel better. Rejection isn't the end of the world--it's pretty tough, but (as cheesy as it sounds) it'll be ok. Earlier this year, I got rejected from this science program, but my friend got in so it was a combination of jealousy and disappointment and bitterness. But I got over myself in a few days and now I'm hoping to get in next year.

So if you love to sing, then keep going for it. I love to write, but I never manage to win writing competitions, so I just tell myself that 1) judges are biased and 2) if I keep writing, I'll get better at it.

Also you can always rant to me. I won't mind, I promise. <3 :)

Anyway, my day was okay. I felt a little tired and also a little sad and lonely. One of my friends said something that was supposed to be a joke, but instead it made me feel sad and annoyed. I always overreact to things, I guess, and I'm almost always annoyed at some of my friends. :/

So orchestra and music class are different because orchestra is mostly playing music and music class is for listening to music. We're going over the late-romantic/impressionalist period right now: so Wagner, Strauss, Debussy, Ravel, etc. What kind of music do you listen to? My iPod is slowly leaning towards more classical music, but I also like Ani DiFranco and Sara Bareilles a lot, and showtunes are fun to listen to.

One of our main projects in COLORS is folding origami cranes and raising money by asking people to donate $1 if they want to sign their name on a crane. Then we donate the cranes and the money to a hospital. We're supposed to fold 1000 cranes every year (bc of that Japanese legend). Unfortunately, we don't always meet that goal. :P But it's thanks to COLORS that I can practically fold cranes in my sleep. It's the only origami I know how to do lawl.

new

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:21 am

@dorkqueen i loved cinder i need to read cress i read scarlet did what the doctor say to cinder really supizing to you

contributor

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:14 pm

@bastkitten37: LOL I replied to you yesterday about cinder on that book rec thread but anyway, I skimmed Cress but I didn't read Scarlet haahahahah. To the disapproval of my friend, I skipped Scarlet because I thought it'd be boring with the new characters. Cress was a little confusing for me because I skipped Scarlet, but there's a good Kai/Cinder moment near the end. :3 I was surprised by a lot of the plot twists in Cinder, but when Cinder revealed herself to Kai in the end, Kai's reaction broke my heart </3

new

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey! Lots of virtual hugs and love to you, too! And candy corn! :grin: (I love candy corn; what's your favourite candy? Oh, and I like both dark chocolate and milk chocolate pretty equally. :grin: )

I am feeling better, and thanks. :smile: I did cry and ranted forever in my diary and that helped. Then my choir teacher came and told me that I was really really close to getting in, which helped, too. Though it did kind of make me annoyed at myself, because even though knowing that was much better than thinking I hadn't stood a chance in the first place, it did keep running through my head that I actually was capable of making it, but that I ended up messing up. :/ But, yeah, I have also gotten over it and started hoping for next year. :smile:

Oh, speaking of writing, are you going to do NaNoWriMo this year? It's a lot of fun, you could try it! I am, even though I still haven't finished the novel I wrote last year, hehe. But I think I'm going to make my word-count goal lower than 50,000 this time, I'm so busy. :/ School. *sigh*

Aww, I'm sorry about what happened with your friend! I hope that today (whenever you read this!) goes better! *hug*

Music class sounds really interesting. It sounds a little like a music history class that's an elective option at my school, though I haven't taken it. I like classical music, too! And show tunes, a lot! :grin: And I also like to listen to a lot of Indian music that you probably haven't heard of? I like other stuff, too, but not so specifically one singer or genre, more just individual songs. 

The crane project sounds so nice! What do the hospitals do with the cranes? Just wondering. :lol: I used to be able to fold cranes, but now I don't think I can do any origami. 

I just went to the library, today, and got so many wonderful looking books! :grin: I feel so excited, I haven't gone to the library in quite a while (SCHOOL :evil: ). What about you? 

contributor

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 pm

It's FRIday!!! ^-^ Fridays make me happy.

I like chocolatey candies like Snickers and Milky Way, even tho they're a little too sweet if I eat too much. On a random note, it was my bday a few days ago and one of my friends got me this gigantic bag of candy and I've been slowly emptying it. :D

You like BOTH milk AND dark?? Whoa let me tell my friend that her theory has been DISPROVEN. lawl.

It's good that you were close to making your chorus! Though I know what you mean about being glad and annoyed at once. :/

I don't think I'm doing NaNoWriMo because I kind of want to try my hand at essay writing? There's so many essay competitions and I've always shied away from them because essays=scary but a lot of the topics are really interesting.

(Minus the history topics. I dread writing history essays, I dread writing them for school and I would dread entering a history contest.)

Haha, I don't really listen to Indian music, but I might be getting into Chinese/Korean pop. A lot of my friends are obsessed, so let's see how long I can resist the peer pressure. :P

The hospitals usually hang up the cranes in the children's ward. ^-^ And folding cranes is pretty easy once you do it a couple of times. AND WAHHH THE LIBRARY </3 It's sad because I go to the library every week to tutor kids there, so I don't even have an excuse for not reading. But I rarely borrow books anymore...and when I do borrow, it's usually through ordering them through the library catalogue online bc I don't feel like taking the time to browse through the shevles. I did recently finish a book though...Game of Thrones! Even though I don't think we're allowed to talk about the plot here because it has mature content, I just want to remark that it's 500+ pages AND I FINISHED IT IN A WEEK WOOHOO. Lol, I read it on the subway and any spare moment I got, and it's pretty good. Heavy and cruel, but good.

Now I just have to read the other books in the series...

Tell me about the books you borrowed! I'm such a book nerd that I love hearing about other people's books even if I don't read that much myself anymore. :D

[ 54 posts ] Average score:   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PRS © 2008 PRS Team