General Discussion

Announcements

Welcome to Write It, the home for young writers. Post your works-in-progress and get feedback or give your opinion on your peers’ creative writing. Try a step-by-step writing workshop, then publish your writing online.

You’ve probably noticed we’ve made some changes to the boards! Find the boards for Underground Railroad historical fiction, Science Explorations, Scholastic News, and more right here.

Looking for our boards dedicated to favorite series, authors, and causes? You'll find them on THE THE STACKS. Head on over for the Buzz Board, Harry Potter, Save the Planet, Goosebumps, and more!
   [ 17 posts ] Average score:  
 Tell me what you think of my journalism!An Abby Hayes interview.
rookie_visitor

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:05 pm
My type of journalism is interviewing.Here's an interview I did with my favorite book character,Abby Hayes.

Me:So, Abby, How does it feel to have 'Super Sibs'?

Abby:Well,Since I'm not that good at anything except doing reports with a boy and trying to avoid people gossiping,they are really over powering.

Me:So how does it feel to have graduated from Lancaster Elem.?

Abby:I felt like I was leaving some old memories behind,but I was making new ones.

Me:So you've moved I heard.

Abby:Yes and You won't believe the work having to paint over the purple paint in my room and painting purple paint on my new room.Exausting!

So I used all the knowlege that I got from her books,and put them in this interview.Don't be afraid to reply!

Re: Tell me what you think of my journalism!An Abby Hayes interview.
writeit_panelist

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:25 am
Hey 9star12,

Thanks for posting your interview. A lot of my feedback will depend on the type of piece this is meant to be, and who is meant to read it. Newspapers, and most magazines, tend not to lay out their interviews in strict question-answer-question-answer format. Instead, they weave the comments and remarks from their interview into a story, letting the reader feel like they are really getting to know the interview subject.

Also, even if your readers are all very familiar with who Abby Hayes is, it's a good idea to start off your piece by introducing her. Here's one example of a suitable introduction: "Last week I got the chance to sit down for an hour with Abby Hayes, a bubbly teenager who just happens to be my favourite character from the book ________________, by ________________. We joked and talked about everything from siblings to school, and found out why her arms have been aching lately."

Whether you decide to keep the formatting you have now or change it so that it reads more like an article than a dictation of an interview, I would suggest making it longer as well. Think of dozens of questions you might ask Abby, and what her answers would be, and choose the most interesting ones to write up.

Hope this was helpful!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:33 pm
i like it,but it could use some work( just some constructive critism, like ms.bunder says).I didn't know anybody else had that as there favorite book! I love 'em and I have all of them!

rookie_visitor

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 pm
Soccerbabe?you have all of the Abby Hayes books? where'd you get 'em?I must know!!!!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:19 pm
it was kind of slow... and i think that should should put the persons' name in there. NO IFFENSE!

contributor

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:06 pm
awesome!!!!

bookmaster94
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:06 am
i think it was awesome! even though i dont read the books i still liked it. theres one thing we have in common i want to be a journalist too!

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:37 pm
cool!nice writing

visitor

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 pm
I strongly suggest that an interview wouldn't be possible. You could just make it seem more real, like a brief report. You only asked five questions, maybe more, and the reader wouldn't learn that much or be interested in it if had only a few questions. Do a brief report (the longer the better) or just have more questions so the reader will count on you more often, and instead of just one book, you could have more. With just one book, you would run out of questions to ask. So try more books and then more and more people would come to you, and ask for what people think of some questions. Ask them what books they read, and what questions they'd ask, because not everyone in the world likes one book. Say Harry Potter or A Series of Unfortunate Events, they are big books and you'll have more questions to ask and a bigger report. Junie B. Jones is a bad example because the average book has only 75 pages. Chicken Soup is also bad because they have a lot of stories written by people and each story has only about 5 pages.

visitor

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm
I think it is good....but..........SPELL CHECK before u post something Sweetheart

rookie_visitor

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:35 pm
I think it's OKAY!! Again, a little slow, but just work on it!! U could become a great journalist one day!! Keep practicing and follow your dream!!!!!!

HarryPotter9595

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:34 am
I am sorry. But I have to agree that it wasn't that realistic. I mean,you could've made it sound that way but...you need more qustions and longer "answers" from Abby. I have read many AH books also. But I do like your idea to write an interview with a book character. Very clever!
~ Miznani97 (Miley Cyrus fan)

visitor

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm
i think u did a good job at making it seem as if Abby's really talking to you even though i wish it was a little longer.

Re: Tell me what you think of my journalism!An Abby Hayes in

Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 pm
OMG! i love the abby hayes books, and this was good! do more.
-Jadeprincess

new

Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 pm
Well to start off I think it is ok. You did do a very good intro. Yet, you did not come up a lot of critical thinking questions. It makes the person you are interviewing stumped sometimes and challenged. Also it is quite entertaining to see. You don't have to use this advice if wanted to. It is just a memoir in thought. Plus make sure you watch newscasts more.

new

Mon May 28, 2012 6:50 pm
its okay but i dont really like it

new

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 pm
I think you could have made it a bit longer, with more background info on Abby, not everyone has read those books- including me! I do like your idea of an interview with a favorite book character, it's original! By the way, I also want to be a journalist! Good luck in the future!

[ 17 posts ] Average score:  

PRS © 2008 PRS Team